X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torri had me from Rising so I say Torri all the way

Comment

Torri Higginson is the best Weir. I liked her since New Order on SG-1. She was the reason I started watching Atlantis.

That's what Weir stands for.

Comment

Torri Higginson definitely sold the part to me in a way Jessica Steen didn't. JS played the fish-out-of-water angle very well, but TH has just got a grace about her (probably because she was a dancer) and dignity that the part needed, far more than Steen's quirkiness. Besides, Torri lets that playful side out now and then, when she isn't busy trying to keep the boys in line.

As for their looks... well, to each his own. Personally, I think Torri is the prettier of the two, but she's also got very angular features that must be very difficult to light. (Not unlike Katherine Hepburn, actually — I saw some theatre pictures of TH recently that looked so much like Hepburn that I had to look twice.) But if she's not lit correctly, or if they straighten her hair too much, she looks a little harsh, and much older than she actually is.
        Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
        Last update: 14 April 2006
        Melyanna's Multimedia
        Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
          JS played the fish-out-of-water angle very well, but TH has just got a grace about her (probably because she was a dancer) and dignity that the part needed, far more than Steen's quirkiness.
          i gotta agree with this for atlantis while i loved jessica steen in lost city (she was awesome as far as i'm concerned ), i think for atlantis and the character they needed as leader of the show, torri is much more suited

though i also have to admit that i didn't REALLY get attached to weir as a character until before i sleep, in which she REALLY did amazing (and i do think before i sleep goes down among the very best of SG ) and very much won me over

Comment

Originally posted by babaganoosh
            Which Weir would you have preferred to run Atlantis?

Torri Higginson or Jessica Steen

Why Steen didn't stay on as Weir is beyond me. She was much cuter!
            jessica steen. if she'd continue to play weir, i'd most likely have given the show a chance. i was ticked at (and a bit weary of) the ptb when i made my decision not to watch atlantis, but i'm a fan of jessica's, so i'd have eventually put that aside and watched the show. my loss i guess.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

I think it is a slightly unfair question because the role itself changed not only because the Actress changed.

Having said that I really liked Jessica. She seemed more fun, free spirited than Torri's portrayal but again the role really needed to change because of having a Leadership role on Atlantis, "The Wraith" and the other big bads she has encountered.

So although I loved Jessica I am warming to Torri.

Comment

I prefer Torri Higginson's Weir, like people mentioned before she brings regality to the role.

Though I do like Steen's Weir's wry sense of humour.

Comment

Torri Higginson...she is MUCH more believeable than Jessica Steen was. As for looks, that's a personal opinion.

As for why Steen didn't remain, either she didn't want too, or the TPTB realized she was wrong for the part.
                  On fighting:
                  Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                  Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Rumour is that she wanted to, but TPTB chose to recast the part instead. As to why, who knows, maybe they'll mention why on the S8 commentary for New Order.

Comment

I doubt they'll talk about it. When TPTB decided to recast the role, Steen sent out a statement saying she had been prepared to do Atlantis. Of course, I think she also said elsewhere that TPTB wanted her to play the part more seriously. It may have been over fundamental disagreements about the character.

We'll probably never find out exactly what happened, but TPTB have since said that Torri Higginson is everything they could have hoped for in the role.
                      Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                      Last update: 14 April 2006
                      Melyanna's Multimedia
                      Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Having missed the Jessica Steen episodes on SG-1, then starting fresh with Torri as Weir on Atlantis, I knew no other Weir.

Having caught up w/ the SG-1 eps that I missed now, I have to say - Torri makes the role so 3 dimensional, strong, and believable.

Steen was totally wrong for Atlantis. I'm glad the role was recast.
                        ~*~*~*~*~*
                        not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

I think the new weir is doing just great as is all the cast.
                          i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

prolly Steen....
                            TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I'm a fan of Jessica Steen. I've liked her in everything I've seen her in. I loved her in Earth 2 and I thought she did a good job on SG-1. And I really have no doubt that had she continued in Atlantis she would have done well, even though the dynamic would have been very different.

Having said that, I'm also of the mind now that Torri owns the role. She came in during New Order and made the part hers. Jessica had the character for 2 eps. Torri's been there a year now. There is no contest in my opinion, and I am thoroughly enjoying what Torri is doing with the role.

~cp

Comment

I think without Torri Higginson the role of Weir would be different and because I like Liz as she is, I prefer Torri for the role. As I saw the first pic's of her i wasn't very happy, but only because I thought, that if they are recasting the role, she should have at least have the same Hair-Color (at least at the beginning).
                                Now I watched other films with Torri and I think she's a great actress so in no case I would want an other actress to play Elizabeth! (hope TPTB heard that )
                                Last edited by Dorka; 14 July 2005, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X