• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fic Rec #38 - Casting Dice, by siegeofangels
    Word Count: ~1700
    Rating: PG
    Pairing: Ronon/Teyla
    Characters: Teyla & Ronon, Teyla POV
    Spoilers: Written before Season 3.5 aired, so anytime in S2 or early S3.
    Author's Summary: Sun, rain, wind, aliens.
    Last edited by Killdeer; 11 September 2010, 07:36 PM.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Comment

Fic Rec #39 - One on One, by Zorb
      Word Count:
      ~1200
      Rating: G/Gen
      Characters: Sam, Teyla, mention of other S4 regulars. Sam POV.
      Spoilers: Set later S4
      Author's Summary: It's all about perspective. Teyla and Sam get a dose of life on the other side.
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

I haz small question for fic-reccer -> what are your criteria to rec a fic?
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Er. Well, for this thread, it needs to have Teyla in a main role. And it has to comply with forum rules (in other words, nothing over a PG-13 rating). Other than that....nothing in particular. I mean it needs to be something I've read and enjoyed - I don't rec stuff I haven't read. But I'm not sure what you're getting at.
          - Life after Stargate -
          sigpic

Comment

Fic Rec #40 - Piece by Piece, by Sholio/Friendshipper
            Word Count:
            Pairing: There's a bit of Teyla/Kanaan at the end, since the fic follows Teyla's life through most of the series, but it's not the focus.
            Characters: Teyla-focused, but mentions most of the other characters.
            Spoilers: Pre-series through early S5.
            Author's summary: Teyla makes an afghan, and Atlantis learns to crochet. Seasons one through early five.

Forty! A nice even number, and a good place to stop for now. I hope you all have enjoyed the fics. Thanks for letting me play here for a while. I set up an LJ to archive the recs on this thread, as well as other recs not necessarily Teyla related, so if you all want to check that out, the link is in my sig.

Happy Teyla discussions to all.
            Last edited by Killdeer; 12 September 2010, 07:52 PM.
            - Life after Stargate -
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
              And it has to comply with forum rules (in other words, nothing over a PG-13 rating).
              Oh really - that I didn't know.

I mean it needs to be something I've read and enjoyed - I don't rec stuff I haven't read.
              Same here. Can't rec a fic you don't know... or know if it's any good. However, the flipside is that you might not like it, but others may. Just saying...

But I'm not sure what you're getting at.
              I was just curious. ... which gets me killed sometimes, I know.

And thank you for 40 recs... you are more than welcome to come again. I'm sure there's more fic out there yet to be discovered.

Comment

Well, I figured that this should be featured on this thread too, so here goes. Here's part 1 of Rachel Luttrell's Fan Q & A and the link:

http://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/sc...part-1.html#tp

Originally posted by SciFiAndTvTalk Fan Q&A with Rachel Luttrell
                STARGATE Atlantis' Rachel Luttrell has been hard at work answering the wonderful questions that the readers of SciFiAndTvTalk sent in for her. The actress has also been extremely busy, especially when it comes to her most important role, that of being a Mom, so there are still some questions left to answer. However, Rachel wanted me to post her responses to the questions that she has gotten to, and promises to send the remaining questions and answers on to me as soon as possible. So here we go, and thank you again, Rachel, for your time and thoughtfulness!

How would you describe the relationship between John and Teyla? Did you see anything beyond a friendship? (from Julie V.)

Ms. Luttrell: Hello, Julie V. I would describe the relationship between John and Teyla as being complicated. And yes, I think that their feelings for one another did extend beyond friendship.

Rachel, what was your most enjoyable scene to film and what was your most difficult? If you could only use one word to describe each of your costars, what would that word be for each of them? ;-) I really miss Stargate Atlantis. It ended way too soon! Wish you continued success. (from Deb S.)

Ms. Luttrell: Hey there, Deb S. Thank you for your enthusiasm,. We all had a wonderful time on the Atlantis set and I am so pleased that our combined efforts were appreciated so.

Now to your questions: The most enjoyable and the most difficult?!! That is a hard one. I simply can't come up with ONE scene that stands out among all the others as the best, but there are some scenes/moments that do come to mind. Usually the most difficult moments end up translating into the best memories. The Puddle Jumper scenes were always hot and seemingly endless in nature. There would be days and days spent on scenes inside the Jumper staring out in terror or fascination or puzzlement at...nothing...and reacting to cues like, "Bam!" and "Light!" and "Sharp turn!" As an actor it is always very tricky acting to the invisible threat or unseen object of fascination. But they were fun times due to their slightly ridiculous nature.

One of the most difficult scenes was the fight into the kiss with Joe (Flanigan) in Conversion. My parents were on-set that day and they were up front and center staring at me and Joe. It was sweet to have their support, but unnerving due to the content of the scene. It made both Joe and I a wee bit nervous...

And ONE word to describe my costars? Okay, I'm going to cheat a bit and add some words. Joe (Flanigan) - strong, elegant and mischievous; David (Hewlett) - sweet, caring, fiery and witty; Jason (Momoa) - true-blue, heartfelt and beautifully wild; Paul (McGillion) - funny, sensitive, boyishly charming; Torri (Higginson) - warm, deep, playful and poetic; Jewel (Staite) - effervescent, joyous, wonderfully disarming; Amanda (Tapping) - kind, down-to-Earth and polished; Robert (Picardo) - uncompromising yet gentle, and welcoming; Rainbow (Sun Francks) - joyous, creative and luminous. OK, I guess that was a BIG cheat.

Hello! Here are my questions for Rachel Luttrell. 1.) What did you find the most challenging about playing Teyla? 2.) Is there any aspect of the character's background that was not explored and that you would have liked to see touched upon, or one that you would have liked to see explored in greater detail? 3.) In your opinion, would you imagine Teyla leaving her people behind in the Pegasus Galaxy to pursue a secure life on Earth with Torren and Kannan, following the events of Enemy at the Gate? 4.) Should Stargate Extinction be approved for production, would you be willing to return for the movie? 5.) What was your favorite episode of the series? Why? 6.) Have you been cast in any upcoming films or TV series? Thank you very much for taking the time to answer these questions. It is really appreciated. (from Abbas)

Ms. Luttrell: Hello, Abbas. Let's see if I can tackle your questions.

1.) The first challenge to me as a performer was getting Teyla's fighting skills to a place where they looked natural, studied and trained. I had never fought nor had I ever practiced a martial art. I used my dance background to help me with the choreography.

2.) I was intrigued from my first encounter with Teyla by her personal history and about the history of her people. I always find it rather wanting in story when a culture that is not indigenous to a region comes in and saves the day due to their superior knowledge. I have always had a feeling that Teyla's people and Teyla herself had much more perspective, mystery, mythology, knowledge and strength than was given breadth to be explored.

3.) In short, the answer to your next question is no.

4.) Yes, of course I would be happy to be involved in an Atlantis film should there ever be one.

5.) We did 100 episodes. 100...it's hard for me to choose ONE that honestly qualifies as my favorite. For me it's more like moments of many, many episodes that are stand-outs. Moments in The Gift when Teyla finds out about her heightened sense and when she reveals her ability to the team; my fight with Jason in Lost Boys; working with (director) Mario Azzopardi in Thirty-Eight Minutes; Critical Mass; working with Connor Trinneer for the first time in Michael, and truly on and on and on...

6.) As I write this I am still a free agent! But I am working on my CD thanks in large part to all of you out there who kept asking me to get off my butt and record something. I hope that once it's all done, everyone will enjoy it! I'm having a lot of fun working on it. Aside from the CD, this year has been about selling our house in Vancouver, moving countries, immigration, and working on creating normalcy and security in our son's life...oh, and now school for Caden, wow!

Hey, Rachel. This is Steve's cousin writing to you from Boston, MA. I'm a huge fan of yours and the show. It was sad to see it end so soon after five years. Two questions for you, have you heard any news about the Atlantis movie, and, second, how does it feel to have an action figure made from your character? All my best! David.

Ms. Luttrell: Hello, David. Nice to hear from you. You know, I hardly ever reflect on the fact that I have an action doll out there in the world, but when I do, well, I think it's pretty frickin' cool!! Caden calls it "Mommy Doll." I have heard nothing of any intention or any momentum towards an Atlantis film. Our lovely set no longer exists. But who knows, stranger things have happened. I would love to get a chance to work with my buddies again.

Ms Luttrell, I was wondering if Jason Momoa ever returned your chair-back that he took from the set and that you wanted so much? (from Jedi_Master_40)

Ms. Luttrell: Hello, Jedi_Master_40. Yes! Jason finally returned the back of my set chair to me this past New Year's Eve. I had to bring it up. Had I forgotten to mention it, I am sure he would still have it stashed away somewhere.

What are your fondest/funniest memories of working with Joe, David and Jason? (from Tracie)

Ms. Luttrell: Hello Tracie. Fondest and funniest, huh? Boy...? We had a lot of fun... I have many fond moments. Jason peeking through trees and singing in his best teenage girl impersonation I Think We're Alone Now; David and I bursting into an impromptu improvised musical theater-type song on the set of Irresistible; Joe helping me walk across a field when I was about seven months pregnant and feeling a wee bit unsure of my footing. We had fun and, for the most part, we took care of each other.

If there is to be a 4th Stargate series would you be in favor of the Return of the Ancients premise, which has Teyla has a recurring character in a handful of episodes, but also sees her character transformed into an Ancient? (from James)

Ms. Luttrell: Hi James. The Return of the Ancients sounds kinda cool. Sure. I haven't heard anything about this idea as of yet. And I loved bringing Teyla to life, so I would be happy to jump into her shoes once more. The idea of Teyla as an Ancient is intriguing...I would have to wrap my mind around that one a bit.

Hi Rachel. 1.) Can you tell us about the TV pilot/pitch piece Nothing Ventured that you mentioned on your blog? 2.) What was it like to work on David's movie, A Dog's Breakfast and having him for a director instead of a fellow actor. (from Scarym)

Ms. Luttrell: Hi Scarym. Nothing Ventured is essentially about a woman who has led a rather predictable and risk-free life, but who silently (and guiltily) craves action and adventure. She dreams about being an international spy while running an organic supermarket chain with her Dad. But what she doesn't know is that dear old Dad is leading a double life and her dream of becoming a spy, and so much more, is a lot closer than she thinks. It's an action/comedy. And, yes, there is room for a Sci-Fi twist!

I had a ball working with David on A Dog's Breakfast. He knew what he wanted out of each scene but was happy to let us play a bit. As I recall, we laughed a whole heck of a lot during the shoot.
                Cheers.

Comment

That pilot - would love to see that.

Comment

Fic Rec #40 - Piece by Piece, by Sholio/Friendshipper
                    Word Count:
                    Pairing: There's a bit of Teyla/Kanaan at the end, since the fic follows Teyla's life through most of the series, but it's not the focus.
                    Characters: Teyla-focused, but mentions most of the other characters.
                    Spoilers: Pre-series through early S5.
                    Author's summary: Teyla makes an afghan, and Atlantis learns to crochet. Seasons one through early five.

Forty! A nice even number, and a good place to stop for now. I hope you all have enjoyed the fics. Thanks for letting me play here for a while. I set up an LJ to archive the recs on this thread, as well as other recs not necessarily Teyla related, so if you all want to check that out, the link is in my sig.

Happy Teyla discussions to all.
                    Thanks for posting these. I've been bookmarking them and trying to catch up with reading them all. So far, I've loved every one that I've ready. I'm still amazed that I had never seen of the one's I've read before. It makes me a happy, happy camper to know that there is so much Teyla-focused/related fic out there.

Originally posted by Atlantis4Life View Post
                    Well, I figured that this should be featured on this thread too, so here goes. Here's part 1 of Rachel Luttrell's Fan Q & A and the link:

http://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/sc...part-1.html#tp

Cheers.
                    Cool, thanks for posting the text of this interview here.

Her comments about how strange it was to react to nothing without overdoing was interesting because I think we tend to forget that much of what we see on screen is added after the actors have completed their scenes.

Love her comments about her co-workers. Silly interviewer, of course they couldn't be described with just one word. And, how much did I love her mentioning Rainbow Sun Francks? Rachel is such a cool woman.

I remember her mentioning how her parents were on the set the day that she shot that kiss scene with Joe. No matter how experience you are, that had to be a bit strange for her and Joe.

When she mentioned that she had never had martial arts training before SGA, I was surprised because she looked so natural on screen. Then, when I read about her dance background and about how hard she practiced, I understood why she looked so good fighting on screen even though that wasn't her background.

I see that she continues to share most of our feelings about how the writers dropped the ball on her character and her character's people. I wholeheartedly agree with this comment:

Rachel Luttrell: I was intrigued from my first encounter with Teyla by her personal history and about the history of her people. I always find it rather wanting in story when a culture that is not indigenous to a region comes in and saves the day due to their superior knowledge. I have always had a feeling that Teyla's people and Teyla herself had much more perspective, mystery, mythology, knowledge and strength than was given breadth to be explored.

It's too bad that she didn't have didn't writers who were interesting fleshing out her character because I was also intrigued by my first encounter with Teyla and was looking forward to leaning much more about her.

Rachel Luttrell: Hi Scarym. Nothing Ventured is essentially about a woman who has led a rather predictable and risk-free life, but who silently (and guiltily) craves action and adventure. She dreams about being an international spy while running an organic supermarket chain with her Dad. But what she doesn't know is that dear old Dad is leading a double life and her dream of becoming a spy, and so much more, is a lot closer than she thinks. It's an action/comedy. And, yes, there is room for a Sci-Fi twist!

I can't wait until her CD is finally available and her TV pilot/pitch, "Nothing Ventured", sounds interesting. I would love to see this on screen.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    That pilot - would love to see that.
                    I would love to see her pilot too. If it doesn't get picked up then I hope she'll make the script available to her fans at some point.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                      Thanks for posting these. I've been bookmarking them and trying to catch up with reading them all. So far, I've loved every one that I've ready. I'm still amazed that I had never seen of the one's I've read before. It makes me a happy, happy camper to know that there is so much Teyla-focused/related fic out there.

Cool, thanks for posting the text of this interview here.

Her comments about how strange it was to react to nothing without overdoing was interesting because I think we tend to forget that much of what we see on screen is added after the actors have completed their scenes.

Love her comments about her co-workers. Silly interviewer, of course they couldn't be described with just one word. And, how much did I love her mentioning Rainbow Sun Francks? Rachel is such a cool woman.

I remember her mentioning how her parents were on the set the day that she shot that kiss scene with Joe. No matter how experience you are, that had to be a bit strange for her and Joe.

When she mentioned that she had never had martial arts training before SGA, I was surprised because she looked so natural on screen. Then, when I read about her dance background and about how hard she practiced, I understood why she looked so good fighting on screen even though that wasn't her background.

I see that she continues to share most of our feelings about how the writers dropped the ball on her character and her character's people. I wholeheartedly agree with this comment:

Rachel Luttrell: I was intrigued from my first encounter with Teyla by her personal history and about the history of her people. I always find it rather wanting in story when a culture that is not indigenous to a region comes in and saves the day due to their superior knowledge. I have always had a feeling that Teyla's people and Teyla herself had much more perspective, mystery, mythology, knowledge and strength than was given breadth to be explored.

It's too bad that she didn't have didn't writers who were interesting fleshing out her character because I was also intrigued by my first encounter with Teyla and was looking forward to leaning much more about her.

Rachel Luttrell: Hi Scarym. Nothing Ventured is essentially about a woman who has led a rather predictable and risk-free life, but who silently (and guiltily) craves action and adventure. She dreams about being an international spy while running an organic supermarket chain with her Dad. But what she doesn't know is that dear old Dad is leading a double life and her dream of becoming a spy, and so much more, is a lot closer than she thinks. It's an action/comedy. And, yes, there is room for a Sci-Fi twist!

I can't wait until her CD is finally available and her TV pilot/pitch, "Nothing Ventured", sounds interesting. I would love to see this on screen.

I would love to see her pilot too. If it doesn't get picked up then I hope she'll make the script available to her fans at some point.
                      No problem. Yes, I liked the answers to those questions as well. I recall her saying that she wanted to see the show explore her people in a DVD extra for season 3, I think. There was so much they could have done with that, but it's another missed opportunity. There were so many on SGA. She's the only main character that lasted all 5 years that didn't get any real coverage of her back story. Oh well, perhaps it's good that they didn't cover it if they weren't going to do right by it. The only writers that I think might have done a decent job (if they were interested) are Alan M. and/or Rob. C. *shrugs*

I thought it was nice that she mentioned all of the people that she worked with as well; that was thoughtful of her.

Her dancing background as a former ballerina helped her to have a graceful balance in her fight scenes. She was very strong, but never masculine. I never got the impression that Teyla was trying to be a man or manly. Sometimes that can happen when women actors are tasked be "being tough." I'm glad that wasn't the case with Teyla because of Rachel. She was great that way.

I also think that her show sounds interesting. We'll have to see what happens with that.

Cheers

Comment

I got this off Rachel herself!!

Rachel Luttrell October 3 at 12:31am Report
                        Hi Donna!

Just a quick note to let you know that (if I haven't already) I'll soon be sending you a request to (hopefully) "like" my new Facebook page. I do hope you will join me over there! The page you are currently on is now inactive, and I want to be able to keep you posted on all that's going on.

Thank you so much for your support!

All the best!

Sincerely,
                        Rachel
                        Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

*tumbleweed passes by*

Comment

Originally posted by DONNA BOOTH View Post
                            I got this off Rachel herself!!

Rachel Luttrell October 3 at 12:31am Report
                            Hi Donna!

Just a quick note to let you know that (if I haven't already) I'll soon be sending you a request to (hopefully) "like" my new Facebook page. I do hope you will join me over there! The page you are currently on is now inactive, and I want to be able to keep you posted on all that's going on.

Thank you so much for your support!

All the best!

Sincerely,
                            Rachel
                            Wait, what? I what? I didn't know Rachel has a facebook page How did not know this? I didn't know you were on facebook You so gotta friend me
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              *tumbleweed passes by*
                              Oooooooooooooooooh
                              sigpic

Comment

DONNA - Link to my facebook page so you can friend me
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X