Rachel Luttrell/Teyla Emmagan WOW Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Liv View Post
    Is this a discussion thread for Teyla, too, or solely for pictures and art? *looks around curiously*

I hope it's the former, ’cause I would love to talk about Teyla, who was my favorite character in SGA (she didn’t start out that way; in season 1 my favorite character was Sheppard, and Teyla was sort of just... there. But then by season 2, and specifically around the time of Trinity and Aurora I really started to like her character. She got to show a sense of humor and there was such a strength and warmth to her character that really shone through in Rachel’s portrayal of her. By the end of season 2 she had become my favorite character and Sheppard.. well, not so much anymore. Funny how things change.

Anyway, my main disappointment in SGA (and there are plenty others) is how incredibly sidelined Teyla was throughout. And I question why it was that she got about ONE episode devoted to her per/season, whereas McKay got about half of them, if not more.

It felt like the writers basically said:

”Well, it’s that time of the year again: we need an episode for Teyla.”

*huge silence in the writing room*

”So, what should we do?”

*more silence*

”Oh, come on! We just need one episode, guys, we can DO this! Think! Hey, you in the corner! What’s the first thing that pops into your mind? Great, we’ll go with that!”

*lots of high-fives around the room*

”Phew, that’s done, now let’s talk McKay, here’s another two-hundred storylines that just came to me…”

Why couldn’t it have been Teyla who got sick in The Shrine, for instance? It would have been such a wonderful opportunity for Rachel to really show her acting range. We already know what DH can do, we’ve seen it over and over and over and over again. (And I really liked the character of McKay in season 1-3, but by season 5 I’d just had enough of him. It was too much, way too much, at the expense of the other characters, mainly Teyla and Ronon.)

Or, why not have Teyla be the one who had her body taken over in Identity, instead of Keller? And why couldn’t it have been Teyla who accompanied McKay in Brain Storm, instead of once again, Keller? But, oh gosh, that would have taken away from yet another McKay/Keller scene and we can’t have that. (And, to be fair, I actually didn’t mind the little McKay/Keller AU bit in The Last Man and even the tag scene of Trio but holy cow did it get out of hand after that!)

*sighs*

So many missed opportunities.
    There's a Teyla appreciation thread but it doesn't get used much, most of us are in this thread more and we use it for everything, whether it be pictures, artwork, even discussions so feel free to do anything you wish in here I know there is a few that loves a good discussion/debate

Well you pretty much nailed it on the head what we've been feeling all this time, and people say we're delusional In the earlier seasons it was mostly the McKay/Shep show then in S5 it turned into the KcKay/Keller show And it makes me laugh how TPTB don't see there was a problem especially with the amount of folks who have been complaining, or maybe they just stuck their heads in the sand and pretended everything was all roses and peaches

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    You're welcome.

Try it now -> Different site, same file.
    Ah thank you little cute Lemming you (((huggles)))

I agree. Speaking of Todd, I actually feel that his character got even more attention in the storylines than Teyla did. It could just as easily have been him in the regular spot and Teyla guest starring.
    I think Todd (I love the guy ) got way more character development than Teyla and Ronon put together!

It felt like anything other than writing for McKay and Sheppard/McKay (and McKay/Keller in season 5) was outside the realm of the writers' imaginations. It was like they had no clue what do then. It really did seem like they couldn't conceive of having other characters interact with each other (okay, slight hyperbole, but still). Like you say, how many scenes did Teyla have one on one with McKay throughout the 5 seasons? How many in comparison to the Sheppard/McKay scenes? It got pretty tedious after a while (and I LOVED the Sheppard/McKay scenes in season 1).

I wish they would have mixed it up a bit more and I wish that they would have had Teyla interact more with other characters, especially female characters. I think they should have kept Cadman around. I think her and Teyla could have had a lot of fun together; keeping the boys out of trouble and rolling their eyes at their constant bickering and whatnot. They could have had a team with 5 people; SG-1 did.
    You mean these guys actually had an imagination once, huh I wonder what happened

Ah Cadman, I really liked her. I wish they kept her around. I've been wanting that all along, Teyla needs a female friend. They had Weir who they could have used to develop a friendship with Teyla but I guess all that was done off screen, they also had Kate (sorry little Lemming) who they could have had be a friend to Teyla but I guess it's only Rodney and John that are allowed to be buddies on screen
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
      They had Weir who they could have used to develop a friendship with Teyla but I guess all that was done off screen, they also had Kate (sorry little Lemming) who they could have had be a friend to Teyla...
      I think in comparison there was more friendship, even screentime, between Kate and Teyla, than between Teyla and Weir or any other female in Atlantis. Sadly...
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I think in comparison there was more friendship, even screentime, between Kate and Teyla, than between Teyla and Weir or any other female in Atlantis. Sadly...
        Yeah so true So much wasted potential...Just think of the scenes we could have had with Teyla/Kate or Teyla/Weir *shakes head* but nooooooooooooooooooo all TPTB wanted was the John/Rodney best bud angle, pretty ridiculous really!
        sigpic

Comment

At least the John/Rodney banter was funny!! Better than You Know Who......
          Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
          Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post
            At least the John/Rodney banter was funny!! Better than You Know Who......
            Sure but it was used that much it got rather tiresome and boring!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
              Sure but it was used that much it got rather tiresome and boring!
              And predictable...

Comment

And predictable...
                And that too...I knew I missed a word
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06
                  There's a Teyla appreciation thread but it doesn't get used much, most of us are in this thread more and we use it for everything, whether it be pictures, artwork, even discussions so feel free to do anything you wish in here I know there is a few that loves a good discussion/debate
                  Yay! \ o /

Well you pretty much nailed it on the head what we've been feeling all this time, and people say we're delusional
                  We must all be suffering from mass delusion then.

And it makes me laugh how TPTB don't see there was a problem especially with the amount of folks who have been complaining, or maybe they just stuck their heads in the sand and pretended everything was all roses and peaches
                  Yeah, at this point I pretty much think the same. They just didn't care.

You mean these guys actually had an imagination once, huh I wonder what happened
                  Mass concussion from all falling so hard for Keller?

Ah Cadman, I really liked her. I wish they kept her around. I've been wanting that all along, Teyla needs a female friend. They had Weir who they could have used to develop a friendship with Teyla but I guess all that was done off screen, they also had Kate (sorry little Lemming) who they could have had be a friend to Teyla but I guess it's only Rodney and John that are allowed to be buddies on screen
                  Yeah, I so wanted to see Teyla have an on-screen friendship with Elizabeth (and Cadman if they had kept her on the show), but we never got to see that. There was one teeny tiny scene in Sunday when they were talking about Elizabeth's date ("Oh, really? *big teasing smile from Teyla*) and I absolutely LOVED that scene. So much fun to watch.

TPTB just thought it was way too important to have Sheppard and McKay snark at each other for the umpteenth time.
                  Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

We must all be suffering from mass delusion then.
                    It's a conspiricy.

Mass concussion from all falling so hard for Keller?
                    Is that where the memory loss of all those great Teyla scenes comes from too? Cause I can't remember her having much to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                      Is that where the memory loss of all those great Teyla scenes comes from too? Cause I can't remember her having much to do.
                      Yep, concussion, memory loss - the list goes on...

Comment

Yep, concussion, memory loss - the list goes on...
                        Luckily for me that I have Kate to keep my memory in check... Don't let the size of my head fool you, this lemming is particularly clever.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus
                          Don't let the size of my head fool you, this lemming is particularly clever.
                          I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

Luckily for me that I have Kate to keep my memory in check... Don't let the size of my head fool you, this lemming is particularly clever.
                            Falcon, I figured that out so long ago.....

Comment

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post
                              Falcon, I figured that out so long ago.....
                              Well, you know me longer than Liv knows my furry self.

Comment

Well, you know me longer than Liv knows my furry self.
                                True.......

Comment

Working...
                                X