Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGA Season Six and SGU S3 Comics (American Mythology)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experienced people don't equate to lots of money already in the bank. A new company is not going to have the backing capital of an established company. If this had been Marvel or some such trying to get the cash then yeah, I'd have been more dubious.

I was happy to support the comic and company. Fortunately not everyone who saw it felt the same as you do Falcon so it has actually got funded. Now we just have to hope other people, fans, etc pick it up when its on the shelf.

I'm very much looking forward to the Stargate Universe campaign as I'd like a speaking role in that one.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
      Experienced people don't equate to lots of money already in the bank. A new company is not going to have the backing capital of an established company. If this had been Marvel or some such trying to get the cash then yeah, I'd have been more dubious.
      A new company it is not... that's what I was saying. It may be a new name but the people behind it aren't noobies in the industry. That's why I have issues with their businessplan.

For the record - from American Mythology About Us page

I apologize for the capitals but I have no time to copy the lines in proper writing at the moment.

AMERICAN MYTHOLOGY IS THE PRODUCT OF OVER TWO DECADES OF HARD-EARNED EXPERIENCE IN MARKETING, DEVELOPMENT, PRINTING, DISTRIBUTING, AND CREATING BEST-SELLING EDITORIAL IN THE COMICS FIELD. BUILDING ON THE SUCCESS OF THOSE PLATFORMS, WE’VE DEVELOPED A BLUEPRINT FOR A CONTEMPORARY TITLE CATALOG FOUNDED ON BOTH EXISTING AND ORIGINAL TITLE CONTENT.
      And indeed a new name on the block:

American Mythology
      Year Founded: 2014
      State of Inc: Maryland
      Revenue: $ 42,000
      Employees: 1

Edit:
      Yes, I have a suspicious nature. Why you ask?
      Last edited by Falcon Horus; 18 December 2015, 03:45 AM.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

As I said, just because the people involved are experienced doesn't make it not a new company. As it says there, founded 2014. They're barely 2 years old. As I said, this appears to have been about the starting capital- they hoped to (and succeeded) in getting the money up front to ensure they could get who and what they wanted for run.

It's done though. You can stop worrying. You haven't anything to lose in this.
        sigpic

Comment

The fact the have years of experience in the comic industry is a plus and as Elite Anubis Guard means nothing when it comes to funding. I've been reading comics for decades. Talented and experienced writers and artists try to launch their own companies all the time and it rarely works because they can't keep up with the big companies. If they needed a Kickstarter to help out I'm all for it. I'd rather see the franchise in the hands of people who love the series than a company with tons of money that will churn out garbage. Look at what we got from Dynamite, a larger comic publisher..,

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            Okay, so you just admitted to spending 500$ on a kickstarter all for a "speaking role" in a comic book?

I guess, there are crazier ways to show the love for your favorite show... Wait, we build a lifesize Stargate... nevermind.

Edit: My immortalization in the fandom doesn't require a kickstarter... it only took a bit of critiqueing the way Stargate Atlantis season 4 and 5 went, and bam featured on the one and only blog of Joseph Mallozzi.
            Mind you: not one of my proudest moments being in the same sentence as g.o.d. - I really wasn't that bad.
            Okay, you can take your condescension and leave it elsewhere. How I choose spend the money that I earn or show adoration for the things I love is my business. Just because you show yours differently it doesn't somehow invalidate mine. I'm not looking for 'immortilisation', I just want to support a project to continue a franchise that means a great deal to me and in doing so I've been given the opportunity to be a part of it.

If you're wary of the company that's perfectly fine. My faith may turn out to be misplaced but until that time comes I'm going to be optimistic about the project.

On a lighter note: I've really enjoyed the preliminary art that has been released so far. I've scoured the Kickstarter trailer many times for everything I could screenshot and theorise about. The art released in some of the Kickstarter Updates has been great too.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
              Okay, you can take your condescension and leave it elsewhere. How I choose spend the money that I earn or show adoration for the things I love is my business. Just because you show yours differently it doesn't somehow invalidate mine. I'm not looking for 'immortilisation', I just want to support a project to continue a franchise that means a great deal to me and in doing so I've been given the opportunity to be a part of it.
              Condescending -- dude, do you know how much that lifesize stargate cost us. Your 500 wouldn't even cover half of it. And we build it for the fun of it... not even for the fans. Quite honestly, it was a dare that ran out of control.

I'm probably going to spend that much and more on a C-3PO build, and yes, I consider that too absolutely out-of-my-mind crazy.
              Last edited by Falcon Horus; 24 December 2015, 12:50 AM.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Wow, I see that the USS Condescension survived the maiden voyage and is now reporting for duty. Yes, condescending, because you keep talking down to me acting like my place in the fanbase is somehow inferior to your own because I've not been a fan for as long, haven't had as much money to throw at it and haven't been touched by the hands of g.o.d himself.

What does the life sized Stargate have to do with anything? Why is my support of the SGA Season 6 comics such an affront to you that keep bringing that up? Our love of the Stargate franchise is not a competition. It just seems like you're trying to one-up me over something I honestly do not care about. The fact that your project became a reality is super cool yet entirely irrelevant to the topic.

I chose to support the Kickstarter (with less than $500, by the way) because I want the comics to be a success. That's it.

Comment

So since the mods closed the SGU topic for some reason, I mean seriously I strongly suspect some of the mods are drunk, i'll ask here.

Do we have any actual solid news regarding the SGU continuation? I'm much more interested in that to be honest. Atlantis had an end of sorts. We might not like that it ended, or even how it ended. But it did conclude the story. Universe was left on a cliff hanger.

Comment

Darren's policy has always been,in short,that when we get a spate of threads on the exact same topic,that the Mods should merge them all,or redirect the threads into one main topic.

A note and link to this thread was left in each one we closed,including the one for the SGU Comics.

Originally posted by FAQ
                    Look for the right thread. If you can find a thread already discussing a topic or episode, post there instead of starting a new thread. Every episode already has its own thread in each season's "Episodes" subfolder. (If you can't find it, look for the "Discuss" link on that episode's page in GateWorld's episode guide.) Moderators may merge or close redundant threads from time to time, so that members aren't confused and conversations aren't schizophrenic. Please don't take it personally!

If your topic doesn't already have a good thread and is worth a thread of its own, feel free to start it in the appropriate folder! Do not create multiple copies of the same thread.
                    So far,there's been plenty discussion in here re both SGA and SGU comics,and once the SGU Kickstarter is under way,we'll review the situation.

I notice nobody's posted the links for a while to the Kickstarter,or included it in their sigs.Looks like updates get posted and comments answered too.
                    Link: STARGATE: ATLANTIS Continues in Comics Books

Their Twitter account: AmericanMytho
                    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Right, except because this thread is about the Atlantis comics not the SGU comics it doesn't really address the question I asked. Even you yourself failed to, you provide links to the Atlantis stuff but no ones shown anything about the SGU stuff.

Plus i'm not sure how SGA and SGU comics are the same topic. They're similar in nature but SGU deserves a place to discuss it.

Comment

Their Twitter account has pretty much all the info you'll need to see what they've said about sgu comics. Not much has been revealed yet.

Comment

They've said they'll be doing a KS for the SGU S3 at some point before March IIRC.
                          sigpic

Comment

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/...ticleID=173612

Some more details.
                            sigpic

Comment

So the solicitation should be in next week's Previews catalog.

Comment

My fansite, StargateComicFan, has been given the amazing opportunity of asking the co-writers, Mark Haynes and J.C. Vaughn questions about the upcoming series of Stargate Atlantis: Season Six comics.

So, I’m asking you, the fans, to submit any questions that you’re dying to ask about the series! Just make sure they follow these guidelines:

* Have your questions be about the writing, characters, story, etc - Mark and J.C are not in charge of production
                                * No asking for spoilers! There’s no fun in that?
                                * Any questions that can be answered by looking at this interview won’t be asked again.
                                * Keep the questions appropriate - no explicit language or terminology

If you have tumblr you can hit me up there or just ask the questions here and I'll add them to the roster of questions. I can only ask a limited number of questions so make them count! Similar questions may be merged to make a fuller one.

Comment

Working...
                                X