Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGA Season Six and SGU S3 Comics (American Mythology)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, the paragraphs are missing. A person might think they go crazy or dreamt it.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I noticed the revision too.There's no byline to say whether the article was edited by Darren or Adam.

Thank you for not reposting the piece.Edits are often made because a paragraph or reference was irrelevant to that particular article,or because the Author felt the piece was too long or carried an error of some kind.Other reasons may apply too...eg,a copyright issue,an intention to make the edited piece into a separate post.No way to know right now!

Think of it as a little like any post edit made on the Forum.
      Edit a thread post and people who read the original may wonder why you did it,or those who read the edited version wonder what was redacted/changed.If the reason for edit box is empty,we're left wondering and the person who made the post can either answer queries or stay silent.

Lightsyder: I noticed you asked about this in the main article comment section.If you don't get a reply there or in here within say 24 hours,drop Darren an e-mail at the webmaster address,and include a link to help him check it out.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Yeah, just curious on why the edit was needed. Not a big deal. Maybe it means it’ll get published someday! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
          Thanks! I like to archive this kind of info. Just noticed the bottom of the article says it was revised. Odd. This same comic was solicited and cancelled by Dynamite Entertainment as well.
          Really? Now THAT is interesting. It seems the author of the cancelled 'Icarus' posted some snippets of it in the recent twitter campaign too. Anybody know him? Can reach out and maybe find out why first Dynamite, and later American Myth would cancel this comic?

Comment

Really? Got links to the tweets?

Dynamite originally announced SG1 season 11, SGA season 6, a SGU prequel based on notes from Cooper and a Stargate 0 with short stories from all three shows. Then they published the Daniel Jackson and Vala Mal Doran comics instead and dropped the license. I never could find out what happened with all that.

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
              Really? Got links to the tweets?

Dynamite originally announced SG1 season 11, SGA season 6, a SGU prequel based on notes from Cooper and a Stargate 0 with short stories from all three shows. Then they published the Daniel Jackson and Vala Mal Doran comics instead and dropped the license. I never could find out what happened with all that.
              Here's a few:
              https://twitter.com/lmoroney/status/972340754986225664
              https://twitter.com/lmoroney/status/972342519559225344

Makes me wonder if the "SGU prequel based on notes from Cooper" is somehow cursed.

Comment

Originally posted by Langley_forum View Post
                Here's a few:
                https://twitter.com/lmoroney/status/972340754986225664
                https://twitter.com/lmoroney/status/972342519559225344

Makes me wonder if the "SGU prequel based on notes from Cooper" is somehow cursed.
                Thanks! And it certainly seems like it is! Hopefully we keep getting comics after the current stories wrap up

Comment

Darren replied to our inquiries about the edit...

From Darren:
                  We had some additional information from another source that contradicted that part of the story, and revised it accordingly. “Icarus” is not officially cancelled at this stage.

Comment

[Coming out of lurk mode]

As the person who was contracted to write the 6-issue 'Icarus' prequel miniseries, who was interviewed for that article, and who told the complete truth, I have to speak up.

While "Icarus" may, or may not, officially be cancelled at this stage -- the truth is that the issues that I wrote, that I described in that article, were cancelled, and were done so for the silliest reason imaginable. I was going to keep quiet about the whole thing, but when 'another source' 'contradicted' me, I have to set the record straight:

There was a 6-issue miniseries, of which I wrote 4 scripts between February and April 2016. I didn't receive any payment, despite being contracted to do so. I did this as a work-for-hire, and independent contractor, which gave me no rights of ownership, but the publisher did release a cover in previewsworld showing me as author, so evidentially they didn't have a problem with me being author. (You can see a scan of it here: https://twitter.com/atlantistvru/sta...46179639005185)

I also assisted with some of the first SGA comics (look inside the front cover and you'll see my credit), also unpaid.

I did lots of other work that I'm not going to elaborate on here too.

Soon after the cover for Icarus was released, I got a call that AM could not move forward with the comics with me as author. The reason: I was credited on a fan-made movie (SGU: Distant Hope) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8QRNY3DVaw

The irony is that the person making that movie asked to use some of my SGU photos (and I let him), and in return he gave me that credit. The photos were mine to use. In return (and without my realizing), he gave me that credit. That was nice of him, but now I see that no good deed goes unpunished

As far as I am concerned, the contract was broken, not by me, but by AM+MGM. In conversation with my editor at AM, I told him 'no problem', and gave him rights to use any of my work if he wanted to. I want to help them succeed. Given that the contract was broken (i.e. I wasn't paid), then as far as I'm concerned, I own any work I did. And I gave free license for AM to use that work any way that they want.

I signed an NDA that I wouldn't share any materials that I was given, and the only ones I had were the 'outlines' for the stories from RC. I will honor that NDA and not share them, but I will share that they are so sparse as to be laughable. Each 'episode' is little more than a logline, and none are more than 2 sentences. All the original work in plotting, dialog, scene etc was done by me.

How I described it in the article -- as the backstories of Rush, Young, Greer and Telford, leading up the events in Air is 100% true.

If this 'other source' wants to delurk and tell me where I am lying, and what 'contradicts' this, they are welcome to do so, but I'm afraid evidence is NOT on their side.

I am not sure what problem MGM have with me -- and I'm delighted to discuss -- and even gave a gesture of goodwill by donating my entire archive of saved never-before-seen SGU material to StargateCommand, something that cost me hundreds of hours of time.

But I guess the lesson here is: If you work for free, people will treat you as worthless.
                    Author of 'The Legend of the Locust' Sci Fi Series

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Hey, thanks for stopping by and sharing the info. It is greatly appreciated! I’m sorry to hear how all of this played out.

Comment

No worries...and no hard feelings. I'm rooting for MGM, AM, Gateworld and everyone else to succeed, and helping any way I can.

I don't get what all the grief is about, and I'm sure there must be something historic that I'm not aware of.

Like I said -- to Darren, MGM, AM or anybody else that wants to discuss this, I'm happy to do so. I believe in building bridges, not walls. Out of respect for my the people at AM, I kept quiet all this time, and only unlurk now because of the quote that somebody 'contradicted' my statement, which feels like I'm being called out as a liar, when I'm not.

(Disclosure: I also authored the 'Virtual 3rd Season' of SGU, that ended up with over 500k readers, so not sure if that's something that annoyed MGM. It was always portrayed as an amateur fanfic though...)

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Sorry to hear that there are so many complications in publishing and hope it can be worked out. It is probably a reason why long-time writers seem to have multiple fan accounts, all under different user names, even multiples in the same fandom and on the same site. That is tough on both the writers and the fans who never get to share nor see all of the writer's spread-out works.

Comment

Haha, never thought about it that way, but writing isn't my day job, more a hobby that I've had some success with, so what do I know?

It's all good, and I put it down to experience now. Like I said I have no hard feelings, and want to help anyway I can -- though I wont stand being called a liar!

Fandom *can* be a funny thing though. I remember once, many years ago, that Michael O'Hare, who played Commander Sinclair on Babylon 5, visited Forbidden Planet comics in London. The fans all came out to get signings and pictures. Once they were done, they all retreated into a corner to (no kidding) argue about who was the biggest B5 fan, while Michael was standing on the nearby street corner, looking bemused. He needed to get to a certain location, and didn't know if he should bus, taxi or underground. I knew where he was going (it was a restaurant) and it was within walking distance....so I showed him the way, and we ended up having lunch together with an old friend of his!

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Originally posted by lmoroney View Post
                              Haha, never thought about it that way, but writing isn't my day job, more a hobby that I've had some success with, so what do I know?
                              Well, from the fan side, I can say leave it to the fans to spread rumors of which account(s) might belong to which writer and which account(s) might have hidden and locked links to writings on them. Fans brag about access that can't be verified and may or may not even exist.

It's all good, and I put it down to experience now. Like I said I have no hard feelings, and want to help anyway I can -- though I wont stand being called a liar!
                              Your site says you are an advocate. That takes fortitude to be able to take a stand for yourself and others too. It also seems it would be a good writing skill to have, to be able to put yourself in the place of others.

Fandom *can* be a funny thing though. I remember once, many years ago, that Michael O'Hare, who played Commander Sinclair on Babylon 5, visited Forbidden Planet comics in London. The fans all came out to get signings and pictures. Once they were done, they all retreated into a corner to (no kidding) argue about who was the biggest B5 fan, while Michael was standing on the nearby street corner, looking bemused. He needed to get to a certain location, and didn't know if he should bus, taxi or underground. I knew where he was going (it was a restaurant) and it was within walking distance....so I showed him the way, and we ended up having lunch together with an old friend of his!
                              Wonderful! B5 is one of the scifi greats. Sometimes, thinking differently has its benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithTech View Post
                                Well, from the fan side, I can say leave it to the fans to spread rumors of which account(s) might belong to which writer and which account(s) might have hidden and locked links to writings on them. Fans brag about access that can't be verified and may or may not even exist.
                                I sense a story in there...

Your site says you are an advocate. That takes fortitude to be able to take a stand for yourself and others too. It also seems it would be a good writing skill to have, to be able to put yourself in the place of others.
                                It's the best job in the world! I get to work alongside the smartest people on the planet, building something that's very sci-fi. It feels like I live 20 years in the future, and get paid to talk about it...

(I'm part of the Google Brain team, building AI tools)

Worked on SGU (a little)

Comment

Working...
                                X