This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
    And that shouldn't have happened. Taking advantage of someone else's body like that without their consent is so wrong.
    This is not really the thread to argue the ethics of that as many threads in the SGU folder have done. And Wray was never implied. It was never even hinted it
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      This is not really the thread to argue the ethics of that as many threads in the SGU folder have done. And Wray was never implied. It was never even hinted it
      You're right, we've all been over this numerous times.

So back to Teyla and the doll.... I mean baby Um yeah not sure what else to say except that the way they went about it sucked all round.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I used to believe that. I think SGU did relationship quite well. Well the stable ones at least
        Really? i thought the only one that was even close to decent was wray and her girlfriend (sorry can't remember her name). Scott and chloe being the worst i mean they were thrown together almost straight away and had nothing in common, no chemistry and overall it felt like the writers were going for a young romance just for the sake of it.
        sigpic
        The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Well in the sense in that they were realastic. Not well in sucessful terms
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I thought most of the relationships on SGU made the rest of Stargate romances look well-written and healthy.

I agree with those who say Stargate and romance do not mix. But I think Stargate is excellent when it comes to friendships and, to a lesser extent, family dynamics. These things are what I love the most about the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by Raelis View Post
              I thought most of the relationships on SGU made the rest of Stargate romances look well-written and healthy.
              Ouch... is all I can say.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I still never figured out how Teyla apparently lost her Wraith detecting abilities after Torren was born.
                What do you mean? I didn't think she'd lost her ability to sense the Wraith they just weren't boosted by Torren's Wraith DNA inside of her anymore. But that piloting a hiveship easily, nope that dynamic duo power is gone. She's going solo now.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.UrsulaKenmore View Post
                  What do you mean? I didn't think she'd lost her ability to sense the Wraith they just weren't boosted by Torren's Wraith DNA inside of her anymore. But that piloting a hiveship easily, nope that dynamic duo power is gone. She's going solo now.
                  I was being sarcastic about that episode (which name escapes me at the moment) where the Wraith were practically on top of them and she didn't sense a thing. In the very first episode she could sense them no bother.
                  sigpic

Comment

I was being sarcastic about that episode (which name escapes me at the moment) where the Wraith were practically on top of them and she didn't sense a thing. In the very first episode she could sense them no bother.
                    Was it Outsiders? That was a huge plot hole in that episode.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                      Mostly it was TPTW...
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                        Yes I believe it was. Just shows how good the ep was that I couldn't remember the name of it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Mostly it was TPTW...
                          I think I missed that particular episode...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                            I think I missed that particular episode...
                            Lucky you
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                              I didn't watch SGU but I thought it was at least twice, once with Young and once with Wray (though the latter may have been more implied than shown). Is that incorrect?
                              Only once, Young and his wife (with Young in Telford's body, for extra weirdo-ick factor). I was a huge fan and have watched every episode more than once, and I don't think the implication was that Wray had sex with her wife (although of course it is possible, since we don't know what happens off-screen).

Anyway, I think SGU did a good job showing realistic (not perfect) relationships.

Back to the main point, I thought there was tons of potential for Teyla's storyline, but I have to admit that the "messiah baby" think has been done to death in science fiction - just once, can't a character's kid just be a nice normal kid?

I sort of liked the idea of a character getting to be a mom and a respected team-member - I wished they had been able to give us that. But also the whole Michael story-line started to go a bit off the rails for me (after starting off as a really fascinating one, that really made me think about right and wrong and how I felt about the Wraith, etc.).
                              sigpic
                              Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

You know, I've been thinking about Teyla a bit lately, and I've officially decided that Teyla's pregnancy and consequent motherhood was kind of a waste of time, and I'll tell you why:

-At first, the whole pregnancy just seemed to come out of left field. And the fact that it came on the tail end of one Teyla's most kick-butt episodes ever made it seem like "Well, enjoy this episode while you can, because now she's pregnant so she's not ever going to be as kick-butt again!" And while I enjoyed the episode as a whole, when taken in context with the rest of the series it seems unbalanced. Before that she'd been tough, her strength always seemed to be more heavily emphasized in spirit rather than physical fortitude. Yes, she can hold her own in a fight, perhaps even help turn the tide, but "Missing" seemed to cast her in the brawny role more often allocated to Ronan.

I would have preferred to see her strength evened out a bit. Maybe if they had found some Athosians left behind, and we could see her wield her leadership skills a bit, that would have made her seem more like herself. I don't know... just *something* more than the SG:A equivalent of a shoot-em-up.

-While she was pregnant, I felt the whole Michael-wanting-the-baby thing was unnecessary. Wouldn't it have been hard enough on her to face the prospect of having a baby without the help and support of her Athosian community? What about her concern for the baby's father? Isn't that a cruel enough a development? Why not focus on the practical, realistic dilemmas such as that, instead of reaching for an obscure mad-scientist angle?

-Once she had the baby, the biggest concern she faced (besides Michael), was whether or not she wanted to return to a field team. Which is indeed a practical dilemma that satisfies the criteria I desired, but what about taking that a step further? What about what kind of role she was going to have in his life? Now, I have to admit that my viewing of Season 5 is spotty (an issue I'm working to remedy-- yay DVDs!) so correct me if there's something that I haven't seen yet, but with Teyla's son we essentially have a child born of two worlds.

Yes, both his parents are Athosian, but Teyla didn't seem to exhibit any desire to go back to New Athos to help raise her son in the tradition of Athos. Instead of the lingering threat of Michael, I'd have been interested to see what Teyla would have done had Kanan desired to rise their son in a more traditional setting. Or what if he felt that Atlantis was not a safe environment for their son to grow up in? Some of those everyday kind of things parents on Earth face, but would be compounded and made more severe by the circumstances of Atlantis' premise altogether.

I don't know TPTB had any other plans for Teyla past the final season before getting canceled, but I think they really missed an opportunity to develop Teyla once the baby was born. It all seemed to return to the status quo just a little too quickly for my preference.

That said, I also believe that the pregnancy was handled rather tastefully. There was no crisis of abortion or "who's the daddy?" quandaries. So while it wasn't as good as I feel it could have been, I do recognize that it could have been much, much worse.

That's just my two cents!

Comment

Working...
                                X