• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    He stole them all.
    *facepalm* Right. How could I forget
    sigpic

Comment

If I remember correctly, making John the father of Teyla's baby was discussed by the writers, but was vetoed by Paul Mullie. (I think that was on the S4 commentaries.). So....Kanaan. Personally, I think the idea had a lot of fascinating potential, but it unfortunately just never really went anywhere. For instance, Missing would have been a great time to introduce Kanaan through flashbacks, which could have continued through subsequent episodes as Teyla searched for the Athosians. And they could have done more with the relationship in S5 too, after Kanaan was rescued. I was delighted that they didn't kill him off in S&R, and I thought their scenes in Broken Ties were adorable. I would have liked to have seen little moments like that woven throughout the rest of the season. Unfortunately, we never saw Kanaan again.

As far as the John/Teyla relationship goes, I agree that it's something that's very much in the eye of the beholder. That the writers were intending eventually to get around to something in that department - I don't think that can be disputed. But it never ended up on screen. I can say quite honestly that I watched nearly three full seasons of this show without having even the remotest idea of John/Teyla (I was not yet in fandom). On the contrary, I was quite convinced by episodes like Echoes, Runner, Duet, Trinity, Sateda, etc, that the writers were working on a Ronon/Teyla relationship. I've rewatched those seasons, looking for what I missed, and I honestly still can't see it. There's not another TV show that I've ever watched that I can say that about (and I've watched a lot of TV). Whether I liked or loathed the pairing, I could always tell what was going on. And even post-S3, I don't see anything from John's side other than the S&R dream. A little more from Teyla maybe, in episodes like Doppelganger. But still, out of 100 episodes, there is precious little to work with regarding a John/Teyla relationship (IMO).

So personally, I still prefer Kanaan as the father, even as badly handled and underdeveloped as it was. It was easier for me to buy the idea that Teyla had a secret relationship off screen with someone I'd never seen before than to believe there was a secret relationship going on between two main characters and we'd never even seen a hint of it onscreen.

As far as the Legacy novels go, sorry....not for me. Not just because of the John/Teyla thing (although I do deeply dislike how the John/Teyla/Kanaan relationship is explained) - I'm also not a fan of how the Wraith are handled and the Rodney storyline. *shrugs* Each to their own.
      Last edited by Killdeer; 12 April 2013, 05:30 PM.
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
        If I remember correctly, making John the father of Teyla's baby was discussed by the writers, but was vetoed by Paul Mullie. (I think that was on the S4 commentaries.). So....Kanaan. Personally, I think the idea had a lot of fascinating potential, but it unfortunately just never really went anywhere. For instance, Missing would have been a great time to introduce Kanaan through flashbacks, which could have continued through subsequent episodes as Teyla searched for the Athosians. And they could have done more with the relationship in S5 too, after Kanaan was rescued. I was delighted that they didn't kill him off in S&R, and I thought their scenes in Broken Ties were adorable. I would have liked to have seen little moments like that woven throughout the rest of the season. Unfortunately, we never saw Kanaan again.

As far as the John/Teyla relationship goes, I agree that it's something that's very much in the eye of the beholder. That the writers were intending eventually to get around to something in that department - I don't think that can be disputed. But it never ended up on screen. I can say quite honestly that I watched nearly three full seasons of this show without having even the remotest idea of John/Teyla (I was not yet in fandom). On the contrary, I was quite convinced by episodes like Echoes, Runner, Duet, Trinity, Sateda, etc, that the writers were working on a Ronon/Teyla relationship. I've rewatched those seasons, looking for what I missed, and I honestly still can't see it. There's not another TV show that I've ever watched that I can say that about (and I've watched a lot of TV). Whether I liked or loathed the pairing, I could always tell what was going on. And even post-S3, I don't see anything from John's side other than the S&R dream. A little more from Teyla maybe, in episodes like Doppelganger. But still, out of 100 episodes, there is precious little to work with regarding a John/Teyla relationship (IMO).

So personally, I still prefer Kanaan as the father, even as badly handled and underdeveloped as it was. It was easier for me to buy the idea that Teyla had a secret relationship off screen with someone I'd never seen before than to believe there was a secret relationship going on between two main characters and we'd never even seen a hint of it onscreen.

As far as the Legacy novels go, sorry....not for me. Not just because of the John/Teyla thing (although I do deeply dislike how the John/Teyla/Kanaan relationship is explained) - I'm also not a fan of how the Wraith are handled and the Rodney storyline. *shrugs* Each to their own.
        The idea of Kanaan was a nice concept, pity about the execution though. It could have been good for Teyla. But they just didn't write anything for the poor guy that played Kanaan, maybe that's why I didn't see any chemistry between him and Teyla, but then again they didn't write anything meaningful for Teyla in S5. I agree Missing would have been a great episode to give us some flashbacks, and cut back on some of the Keller whining.

I loved John/Teyla but that pretty much got completely destroyed in S5 with just about any other possible ship that wasn't McKay/Keller. Which is personally one of the worse matches I have seen on TV. As for John being the baby daddy. I'm not sure if I'd like that idea. With these writers they would have probably found some way to screw it up.

I would have been ok with Teyla/Ronon At least they would have something to do while standing in the background Maybe even Teyla/Lorne

I probably wouldn't have minded Kanaan if they used him for something other than a cardboard cutout. I feel sorry for the actor who played him, he just had nothing o work with
        sigpic

Comment

Seeing and not seeing is up to the seer, so I won't touch on that subject. People often debate what was or wasn't on screen, so I'll just leave that be.

I think, like the Athosians in general, I liked what Kanaan could have been. While he didn't seem like her type to me for anything long term, other than friendship, it would have been nice to see maybe some of their back story together. That way, the fact and impact of him kind of just oddly appearing as her boyfriend or whatever he was supposed to be would have been lessened by that, but that didn't happen. We barely saw him, and when we did, it was very "flat."

I like John best with Teyla, but the only other person I could have bought him with, especially long term, was Nancy, and that already didn't work out. So, I don't know...

I just miss the series and what all of the characters could be doing on it now. I definitely think it could have gone for 10 seasons like sg1 did if it had strong writing and the studio and network supporting it. Maybe it's best that it's gone, or at least gone for now. Maybe someone will come to it again when the time is right, but by then, at least for this cast and this stargate story, it might be too late. That's what's kind of sad to me, but at least we got some great episodes along the way.

sigpic

Comment

I liked John with Elizabeth or Larrin, I don't think I would have continued watching if it went John/Teyla the bits in the legacy books were bad enough. So I suppose the ending Atlantis has works for me to a point.

Comment

Originally posted by Princes View Post
              I liked John with Elizabeth or Larrin, I don't think I would have continued watching if it went John/Teyla the bits in the legacy books were bad enough. So I suppose the ending Atlantis has works for me to a point.
              Oh I'm sure they would have found some way to screw it up with John/Elizabeth just like they would have more than likely screwed it up with John/Teyla. These guys track record with romance was abysmal. Thank goodness for small miracles

John/Larrin was just awful, I'm glad that didn't go anywhere.
              Yeah these guys shouldn't have touched romance with a 10 foot bargepole

Yeah they didn't know whether go stick or twist with J/T, then they didn't know whether to stick or twist with J/E. Dont even get me started on McKay/Keller, then there was the sudden non appearance of the invisible boyfriend for Teyla.

Yeah you're better sticking to fanfics or your own imagination for romance. Couldn't be any worse than what these guys would have come up with
              sigpic

Comment

Romance and Stargate, that's like fire and water... they don't mix well. At least not on screen...
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I used to believe that. I think SGU did relationship quite well. Well the stable ones at least
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Okay, I haven't seen SGU... so there's an exception. They finally got it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Okay, I haven't seen SGU... so there's an exception. They finally got it right.
                      Yeah, sex in other people's bodies. That's getting it right alright...
                      sigpic

Comment

Body. It only happened one time
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Right...

Comment

And that shouldn't have happened. Taking advantage of someone else's body like that without their consent is so wrong.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              I used to believe that. I think SGU did relationship quite well. Well the stable ones at least
                              I could never get into SGU tried hard as I love Robert Carlyle but feel asleep watching it. Will give it another try at some point.
                              John is best played as kirk anyway without a partner wasnt Vegas all about him being a solitary man. Heck if I know, think people are right fan fics and the stories you make up yourself can take you wherever you want.

Comment

I didn't watch SGU but I thought it was at least twice, once with Young and once with Wray (though the latter may have been more implied than shown). Is that incorrect?
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                                Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X