This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Have to say,I'm disappointed that none of the SGA stars are included,but in some ways I'm not surprised.
    I am, but only isofar as SGA was the first "Scifi/Syfy only" Stargate production.
    The SG Cast members are all busy getting on with their careers and family lives,and quite a few may not have been available to make an appearance.
    True, however neither JF nor DH have been "shy" about thier love of not just Stargate, but it's fanbase as well. I do't think either would have had too many issues with "making time" to do such an event.

(Anyone know when the Special was actually filmed,or is it a work in progress with the promo info released early?)
    Unfortunately not

Some SG-1 actors listed as definite appeared in SGA and/or SGU ,plus BW and RCC might focus some attention on SGA /SGU.
    I think thats the main thing here. Weather you liked SGU, or S8-10 of SG-1, or S4-5 of SGA, Brad and Rob had a hand in all of them. We ALL have our "faves", but those two, like or not were the driving force of the "Scifi/Syfy" era of Stargate.

This "retrospective" special seems to be more about saying "This is our stable of past shows,and they were cool,but we do our own original movies and other things and here's what's ahead (Defiance).Check us out!" than an in depth reflection of all the shows.

It's a big PR thing really to boost the Channel.
    Could we expect anything else?
    Yup, its "look at our pedigree, we are not just "wrestling and reality" like you think we are"
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I agree with Bagpuss, there is a good chance the cast members from SGA, SGU (and the countless other shows that have appeared on SyFy) were unavailable or unwilling to do the special.
      Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
        I agree with Bagpuss, there is a good chance the cast members from SGA, SGU (and the countless other shows that have appeared on SyFy) were unavailable or unwilling to do the special.
        I highly doubt that. Not one single one? There's really no excuse that makes sense to me other than they didn't consider these actors or the show important enough to arrange it. I do agree however, that this is probably just one huge promo for Defiance.

PS - Interesting article on the network, Defiance and the costs involved:
        http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffberc...nd-videogames/

I found it interesting that series themselves on Syfy don't actually make money, they are "loss-leaders" per the article.

ETA - And I see that both Rainbow Francks and Robert Davi (Kolya) retweeted tweets that said they would have been good guests on the special.
        Last edited by Lythisrose; 28 November 2012, 05:56 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          I am, but only isofar as SGA was the first "Scifi/Syfy only" Stargate production.
          True.I'd like them to highlight that!
          Originally posted by Gatefan1976
          True, however neither JF nor DH have been "shy" about thier love of not just Stargate, but it's fanbase as well. I do't think either would have had too many issues with "making time" to do such an event.
          Oh I agree with you.I wasn't trying to imply any of them would have deliberately avoided taking part.
          Originally posted by Gatefan1976
          Unfortunately not
          Ah well.
          Maybe we'll find out when it airs.Maybe not.I can't remember offhand if the other Specials ( S7 Lowdown etc) ever carried a date as such.
          I was hoping to be able to work out which projects various actors were working on, around the time this Special was filmed,that's all.

Originally posted by gatefans1976
          I think thats the main thing here. Weather you liked SGU, or S8-10 of SG-1, or S4-5 of SGA, Brad and Rob had a hand in all of them. We ALL have our "faves", but those two, like or not were the driving force of the "Scifi/Syfy" era of Stargate.
          Agreed.Let's hope they give some insights to how all three shows were made!

Originally posted by Gatefans1976
          Yup, its "look at our pedigree, we are not just "wrestling and reality" like you think we are"
          Well put!
          Thought: if they'd kept focussed on producing/showing a high ratio of Scifi->reality and wrestling, it'd make for a better pitch,but they have bills to pay,books to balance,and profits to create like any other business.

Originally posted by bookwormjules View Post
          Again,I didn't think the actors would be unwilling.

Things being how they are in Acting/entertainment as a profession though,all appearances at Cons or other events do depend on availability.

(Plus of course,appearing on this Special very much depends on the Actors being invited in the first place.
          See Lythisrose's post.)

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
          I highly doubt that. Not one single one? There's really no excuse that makes sense to me other than they didn't consider these actors or the show important enough to arrange it. I do agree however, that this is probably just one huge promo for Defiance.

PS - Interesting article on the network, Defiance and the costs involved:
          http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffberc...nd-videogames/

I found it interesting that series themselves on Syfy don't actually make money, they are "loss-leaders" per the article.

ETA - And I see that both Rainbow Francks and Robert Davi (Kolya) retweeted tweets that said they would have been good guests on the special.
          Interesting article and tweets there.

Defiance is the new "toy" so that's what they're concentrating on,imo.
          It's a bit like watching a kid at Christmas.They go back to playing with their older faves once the new ones lose their novelty.
          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, this makes me so mad. I just saw this link on FB:
            http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ytheNumbers%29

Just no words. I'm happy they are keeping the memory of SG1 alive but not even one star from SGA? I'm sure David H would have some fun memories to share, he even made a movie for the frickin network!

Stargate SG-1 is really what started the success for Syfy aka Sci-fi when they took over the show after Season 5. SGA carried the torch for SG-1 when it ended, but I think since they have a limited amount of time and apperances for this special, it would be the original cast of SG-1 to really speak for the rest of the franchise, imo. I'm sure they will mention the spin-off success of SGA in this special.

As per Ben Browder and Claudia Black being on the special they did have a successful show called Farscape.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
              Stargate SG-1 is really what started the success for Syfy aka Sci-fi when they took over the show after Season 5. SGA carried the torch for SG-1 when it ended, but I think since they have a limited amount of time and apperances for this special, it would be the original cast of SG-1 to really speak for the rest of the franchise, imo. I'm sure they will mention the spin-off success of SGA in this special.

As per Ben Browder and Claudia Black being on the special they did have a successful show called Farscape.
              That doesn't make me feel any better, as they could have easily fit David Hewlett in for a second or two amongst the multitude of actors, just sayin...
              But good to see you again, hope life has been treating you well!
              sigpic

Comment

Sorry, but the exclusion of SGA actors in this special makes me angry. And even if the actors are busy, there had to be one actor that was available for a few hours.

I understand time restraints & lumping all SG comments together under the flagship show SG1, but I still think that is unfair to SGA. SGA was their 3rd longest scripted series, won a Peoples Choice, & was an original Syfy show that premiered first on their network. It deserves more than a just a mention, it should be featured more prominently in its own right and should include some actors.

If they talk about how successful SGA is on the special then they should also have interviewed some of the actors as they are part of the successful. Also many fans and viewers tend to identify more with and would prefer to see the actors. While I am glad they have many SG1 actors, I find it so disappointing that SGA and the actors once again do not get recognition for its success. Besides if they can include the less successful spin-off series Caprica, they could have found room for at least SGA actor.
                Last edited by EdenSG; 28 November 2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  True, The year SGA won was the first year of the scifi catagory IIRC.
                  And I believe it beat out BSG and Supernatural

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
                    And I believe it beat out BSG and Supernatural
                    Not SPN, Dr Who.
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

That doesn't make me feel any better, as they could have easily fit David Hewlett in for a second or two amongst the multitude of actors, just sayin...
                      But good to see you again, hope life has been treating you well!
                      Yeah, you know how much I supported SGA over the years, so I hear where you are coming from. It's a little fustrating if you are a SGA fan, and for myself I got into Stargate when SG-1 first aired on Showtime. Of course, I did see the original movie when it first came out, but who knew a TV series would be made from it. lol. Would of been nice if they got RDA for the special as well, but it is not easy to get all these actors on board.

I really miss the SG franchise, and watching this special is likely going to make me get all the old DVDs out and start re-watching SG-1 and SGA.

Oh and good to to see you also!
                      sigpic

Comment

...Does anyone even watch Syfy anymore?
                        sigpic
                        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Not really. Maybe once every other month.
                          I like Sharky
                          sigpic

Comment

IMO they should have had at least one star from SGA and one from SGU.
                            Joe Flanigan or David Hewlett and Louis Ferreira or Robert C. or David Blue or any actor from one of those shows would have been good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                              Depends on time of year.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                                I only watch Warehouse 13 now, but if a new show catches my eye, I will watch it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X