The Pocket Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pocket Watch

In part 3 of The Siege there is a pocket watch in the office, Weir is fiddling with it with a pencil at the end of the episode. I recall this pocket watch will be seen again in "The Real World" but can anyone tell me where we first see this watch in the series, or where we first discover its significance?

Thanks.

Originally posted by earthling View Post
    In part 3 of The Siege there is a pocket watch in the office, Weir is fiddling with it with a pencil at the end of the episode. I recall this pocket watch will be seen again in "The Real World" but can anyone tell me where we first see this watch in the series, or where we first discover its significance?

Thanks.
    Taken from description on auction site for this item:

Pocket watch owned by Elizabeth Weir's father, seen on the administrator's office desk throughout Season Three of Stargate Atlantis. When she traveled to the Pegasus Galaxy. Dr. Weir took this as a memento of the man who first taught her how to read other human beings through poker. In the Season Three episode "The Real World", Weir hallucinated that her mother gave her the watch while in a mental institution, when in fact she had it in her possession since the beginning of the series.
    And I don't recall Elizabeth pushing the chain around in "The Siege", as described. However, she was doing that near the end of "Critical Mass", Season 2, after an attempt to get information out of Kavanaugh about the bomb that was supposedly planted in Atlantis by a Goa'uld.
    Last edited by hedwig; 15 November 2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      Taken from description on auction site for this item:

And I don't recall Elizabeth pushing the chain around in "The Siege", as described. However, she was doing that near the end of "Critical Mass", Season 2, after an attempt to get information out of Kavanaugh about the bomb that was supposedly planted in Atlantis by a Goa'uld.
      Yes you are entirely right it is Critical Mass, my mistake. That is the watch I'm talking about. What I was wondering is if there was a small scene I'd missed previously in which she'd "introduced" it to the story in some way such as someone noting it and she says, "My father gave this to me; I keep it to remind me of" whatever; or just some small scene which indicated its purpose in the story. Or is the watch actually formally introduced in the episode The Real World?

What I mean is:
      Dr. Weir took this as a memento of the man who first taught her how to read other human beings through poker.
      Does this information come from an episode and, if so, which?

Comment

technically yes, it was her fathers but as for learning to read people through poker, thats just made up.

Comment

Yes you are entirely right it is Critical Mass, my mistake. That is the watch I'm talking about. What I was wondering is if there was a small scene I'd missed previously in which she'd "introduced" it to the story in some way such as someone noting it and she says, "My father gave this to me; I keep it to remind me of" whatever; or just some small scene which indicated its purpose in the story. Or is the watch actually formally introduced in the episode The Real World?

What I mean is:

I don't recall there being anything in any episode about where the watch came from, other than the comment by her mother in "Real World" - even though that was a hallucination, I believe the watch did belong to her father. I also don't recall if there were episodes prior to "Critical Mass" where we see the pocket watch.

The description came from the auction site, and not one of the episodes. I googled "Elizabeth Weir's pocket watch" and that was one of the sites that came up.

So, first we see it in "Critical Mass".
          Then we see it again in "Real World".
          Then in Season 4, "Adrift"(?) when Teyla is cleaning out Elizabeth's desk and picks up the watch.

Comment

It is obvious. Weir is a Time Lord.
            sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4907261/1/Golden_Dawn

^ My new fanfic ^ Enjoy and please subscribe!

(Shameless advertising ftw)

Comment

Originally posted by Amann View Post
              It is obvious. Weir is a Time Lord.
              Lol
              sigpic

Comment

The thing about Weir's father and poker games comes from SG-1's "New Order, Part 1":

WEIR: And what good is it if the Asgard aren't actually available to protect anything?

JACKSON: At one time they were -- more recently we've been trading on the threat, kind of a big bluff.

WEIR: Well, Baal is about to call the bluff.

JACKSON: Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that. Earth is safe so long as the Goa'uld think we can defend ourselves.

WEIR: But that's a bluff too.

JACKSON: Yeah, more or less.

WEIR (sighing): When I was a kid, my dad used to have these weekly poker games. All I remember is smoke making my eyes water. I'm starting to wish I'd paid more attention.

JACKSON: I'm sure you've misrepresented the truth before in negotiations.

WEIR: Actually, no -- my job has usually been to get people to recognise the truth.
                So, Propworx kind of goofed on the part about Weir learning to read people from her dad's poker games when they wrote up the item description for the auction (not the only time they goofed on item descriptions, especially for Weir), but it's related. Sort of.

The earliest appearance of the watch that I've found seems to be Season 1's "Poisoning the Well"; it's on Weir's desk during the scene in which she's talking to Sheppard about the Geneva Convention in reference to using the Wraith as a test subject for the Hoffan drug. It also appears on her desk in "Hot Zone," among others. I believe the nanite-world scene between Weir and her mother in "The Real World" is the one and only time the watch is actually spoken of.
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

^ Thanks for that information Scary Kitty; just what I was looking for.

Your signature is so true by the way!

Comment

There was a vauge mention on the commentary, which referenced it to the 'down the rabbit hole' thing (at the time she was playing with it using the pencil, I think)

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                    "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                    a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Working...
                    X