This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnets!
    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
      I'm wondering, if stargates only work from one side, i.e. you cross the event horizon from the back and pass right through without going through the wormhole as Joseph Mallozzi's claimed, how does the bridge between the Pegasus galaxy and the MW work?
      You're thinking of the gate bridge as a long continuous wormhole. The gate bridge macro simply causes each gate to dial the next gate in the chain and then pass on the information stored in the buffer.
      It's not like when you enter the MW gates at midway you are going backwards through the wormhole, the gates are just dialing along the chain back towards the MW.
      The direction the gate is facing does not equate to the direction of the wormhole.

Comment

Except for the first and last gate in the sequence, because the puddle jumper can only enter and exit through one side of the gate. But I agree, the intervening gates can face in any direction.

Of course, there must be some part of the macro that makes sure the way is free, so to speak, so that there isn't a crash at Midway.
        sigpic

Comment

Of course, there must be some part of the macro that makes sure the way is free, so to speak, so that there isn't a crash at Midway.
          Well once it was completed, the embarkation area at Midway looked pretty big so I don't think crashes would be a problem.

I wonder though, if the total trip from MW to PG takes 30 minutes, it must take around 15 or so minutes from when the Earth gate dials the first gate in the chain, to when the last gate dials the MW gate at Midway and vice versa.
          What would happen if someone from Earth was 5 minutes into the transit and the staff at Midway attempted to dial the MW gate to Earth? Would there be something in the macro to prevent that?
          Theoretically, since the gate bridge just sends the stored buffer information along the chain, a transmission could also come from the opposite side until both transmissions met at a single gate.

Comment

Theoretically yes, but I don't think a gate can accept two transmissions at a time.

I haven't seen the episodes with the completed Midway station yet, just the one that fits a puddle jumper.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by D Toccs View Post
              Well once it was completed, the embarkation area at Midway looked pretty big so I don't think crashes would be a problem.

I wonder though, if the total trip from MW to PG takes 30 minutes, it must take around 15 or so minutes from when the Earth gate dials the first gate in the chain, to when the last gate dials the MW gate at Midway and vice versa.
              What would happen if someone from Earth was 5 minutes into the transit and the staff at Midway attempted to dial the MW gate to Earth? Would there be something in the macro to prevent that?
              Theoretically, since the gate bridge just sends the stored buffer information along the chain, a transmission could also come from the opposite side until both transmissions met at a single gate.
              I guess the gate just wouldn't lock, the chevrons, I mean?

Comment

Theoretically yes, but I don't think a gate can accept two transmissions at a time.
                I'm positive the gate couldn't except 2 transmissions at once. My guess is that they would cause some sort of malfunction in that gate, and probably both transmissions would be lost.

I guess the issue could be solved fairly simply by having the SGC send a subspace transmission to Midway when some one gates there, so that the Midway staff would know not to try dialing out on the MW gate until that traveler arrives.

Originally posted by blazingfire View Post
                I guess the gate just wouldn't lock, the chevrons, I mean?
                Yeah that's also possible. It would mean that the macro would connect all the gates together from the moment the SGC dialed their gate.
                That isn't that much of a stretch, they do have the macro that dialed all the MW gates at once, I would imagine that it could be modified to do something like that.

Comment

Yeah, I assume all gates would be dialed at the same time or at least at a shorter delay than the transfer would take.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X