This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
    Just came across the Gateworld article about SGA's cancellation and it says:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/0...tis-cancelled/

Clearly SGA was a roadblock for SGU which wasn't going to start until SGA was cancelled.
    Sami, I don't think anyone is thinking now that SGA was doing bad in the ratings for it to get cancelled that way. The show by the last half was creeping up to 1.7 Million viewers live+SD.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      Sami, I don't think anyone is thinking now that SGA was doing bad in the ratings for it to get cancelled that way. The show by the last half was creeping up to 1.7 Million viewers live+SD.
      If anything the strong ratings put the franchise in a prime position to launch a new Stargate series while selling DVD's from the existing properties. Seems like sound logic to me.

Plus I wonder what factor MGM's financial crisis played in this - could they even afford to fund two stargate shows?

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiKart64 View Post
        If anything the strong ratings put the franchise in a prime position to launch a new Stargate series while selling DVD's from the existing properties. Seems like sound logic to me.

Plus I wonder what factor MGM's financial crisis played in this - could they even afford to fund two stargate shows?
        Excellent point. Folks need to realize if SGA was not strong in the end, SGU would likely not have been given the greenlight so easily. I just grow tired of people saying that the show was dying or circling the drain, it was not, it was finding new life. I miss SGA, because it had the full package.
        sigpic

Comment

Excellent point. Folks need to realize if SGA was not strong in the end, SGU would likely not have been given the greenlight so easily. I just grow tired of people saying that the show was dying or circling the drain, it was not, it was finding new life. I miss SGA, because it had the full package.
          I would have preferred 7 seasons of SGA and none of SGU over 5 seasons of SGA and 2 of SGU. And I think it wouldn't have made a big difference for MGM and Syfy. It is not like SGU is very successful.

Comment

I agree that SGU would never have been greenlit if SGA hadn't been doing well because SGU was only made possible because of SGA's success. And, in addition to making SGU possible, SGA's success was also why BW was able to get the additional $1 million per episode he needed for SGU.

Although I understand why all involved decided to take a chance on SGU, I always believed it was a risky move to go with SGU at the expense of SGA. If it wasn't financially possible to run both shows at once, then TPTB should have gone with at *least* one more season for SGA before introducing SGU. And, they should have brought in new writers to try to make sure that SGA's remaining seasons were as tightly written as possible.

And, another advantage of keeping SGA and postponing SGU is that BW and Co. could have been on the sidelines watching Caprica fail and learning what not to do with SGU in the future. As it stands now, taking a chance on SGU has left the franchise in its worst shape ever because it's struggling to maintain a sad and pathetic 1 million viewers per episode. And, it's not getting great reviews from many who are still watching the show.
            sigpic
            Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
              I agree that SGU would never have been greenlit if SGA hadn't been doing well because SGU was only made possible because of SGA's success. And, in addition to making SGU possible, SGA's success was also why BW was able to get the additional $1 million per episode he needed for SGU.

Although I understand why all involved decided to take a chance on SGU, I always believed it was a risky move to go with SGU at the expense of SGA. If it wasn't financially possible to run both shows at once, then TPTB should have gone with at *least* one more season for SGA before introducing SGU. And, they should have brought in new writers to try to make sure that SGA's remaining seasons were as tightly written as possible.

And, another advantage of keeping SGA and postponing SGU is that BW and Co. could have been on the sidelines watching Caprica fail and learning what not to do with SGU in the future. As it stands now, taking a chance on SGU has left the franchise in its worst shape ever because it's struggling to maintain a sad and pathetic 1 million viewers per episode. And, it's not getting great reviews from many who are still watching the show.
              Caprica was just pathethic with thier numbers. 2nd and 3rd runs of SGA were doing better.
              sigpic

Comment

Agreed

Comment

I hated the ending to EATG I was they would have tie it up better or maybe wrote and shot a two parter to end the show. Then that way if they did not do the movie we would have some kind of closure.

Comment

Agreed..
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

I'll keep my fingers crossed you'll win it - just to get Kate back.
                      Bring Laura Bertram to the show while you're at it.

Comment

so if im not mistaken they will do another SG-1 movie but not atlantis. my question and im sure it could have been asked already cause it seems like a no brainer. but why not merge the two together since atlantis is on earth anyways. for that matter they should shop the same idea and get a series made. would give us more main characters and could make for some good storys with tel'c and ronan on the same team. idk just a thought.

Comment

That would require them to actually write for Ronan... beyond his one episode a season deal, that's going to be difficult.

[/end sarcasm]

Seriously people - they can't manage one cast, what makes you think they can write for two casts combined together?
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

See my avatar? That man is the only character that the writers WANT to write for. Oh and Keller.

Every one else is PICKLE JUICE. The stuff you dump down the sink. It should be the stuff used to make pickles awesome and even better. But with these writers....not happening.
                            Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

See my avatar? That man is the only character that the writers WANT to write for. Oh and Keller.

Every one else is PICKLE JUICE. The stuff you dump down the sink. It should be the stuff used to make pickles awesome and even better. But with these writers....not happening.
                              Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

EATG was a poor excuse for a season finale, let alone series finale. The episode was poorly writen, poorly thought out and filled with so much stupidity it makes your head hurt. It's like the writers had a brain fart when it came time to write the epsiode. I'm surprised there are people that actually like it. I personally feel better thinking SGA season 5 ended with 19 episodes.

Comment

Working...
                                X