This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As can be seen even here...
    Executive producer Robert C. Cooper has said that the film's story "evolves the Stargate."
    ...this is going to be a different kind of stargate.

I've been thinking about how it could possibly be different...
    1. built-in protective iris to prevent things coming/going (already confirmed energy-based iris)
    2. different symbols and number of symbols for gate coordinates... or maybe there isn't even a limited set of symbols, which leaves a possibility of having unlimited destinations (Just the fact that it is blue makes me believe that it belongs to an entirely different network of stargates from the ones in SG-1.)
    3. 2-way wormhole, rather than only outgoing
    4. you can see through the event horizon, so you don't necessarily need to send a MALP through to see what is at the other gate
    5. you can enter through the BACK of a gate as well as the front of the gate
    6. no more SPLASH when a connection is made to another gate (those things can be dangerous ya know)
    7. bigger stargate (I still haven't seen any specific shots indicating that this blue gate is the same size as the red ones)

But then again, the blue gate could just be for connecting to a different galaxy, and once they get there, they are back to using the same red stargates as SG-1. *shrug*

Just my $0.02

Comment

my understanding is that only the gate in atlantis is blue and the rest of the gates in the pegasus galaxy are standard gates. (to cut down on production costs the shows are going to share the gates they use for "offworld" shots)

Comment

<< My ideas are that it is either a central hub. Therefore it's blue because it's the Main gate for that galaxy... >>

So, is there a hub gate for this galaxy?
        sum ergo cogitum
        I am therefore I think.

Comment

Atlantis was the original hub of the milky way galaxy. But now is in the Pegasus galaxy. Thus there are two main hubs in Pegasus Galaxy, Atlantis, and ........... you guessed it, the Wraith homeworld.

Comment

Oh... if that's true about the hub gates, then it's going to get really interesting...
            Last edited by JakeDeuxPointZero; 09 May 2004, 04:15 PM.
            Sheppard and Mitchell: and you were worried they were going to be O'Neill clones?

Two of my favorite shows are about Jonathan Sheppard, assuming Jack is always short for Jonathan. Weird, huh? (Lost and Atlantis)

Comment

Originally posted by MegaFishTank
              Executive producer Robert C. Cooper has said that the film's story "evolves the Stargate."

1. built-in protective iris to prevent things coming/going (already confirmed energy-based iris)
              2. different symbols and number of symbols for gate coordinates... or maybe there isn't even a limited set of symbols, which leaves a possibility of having unlimited destinations (Just the fact that it is blue makes me believe that it belongs to an entirely different network of stargates from the ones in SG-1.)
              4. you can see through the event horizon, so you don't necessarily need to send a MALP through to see what is at the other gate
              6. no more SPLASH when a connection is made to another gate (those things can be dangerous ya know)
              7. bigger stargate (I still haven't seen any specific shots indicating that this blue gate is the same size as the red ones)

But then again, the blue gate could just be for connecting to a different galaxy, and once they get there, they are back to using the same red stargates as SG-1. *shrug*

Just my $0.02

My thoughts on the 2-way gate travel point to the original idea that matter can only travel one way due to the way of the subspace being accessed by the gates. Because it is artificial, there are limitations set artificially that render the possibility of 2-way travel impossible. Its possible for energy such as RF waves like radio and video, but thats because it is simply energy, where as matter is very complex and it takes a lot of computing power just to re-materialize the SG teams that go through it on a daily basis. Plus 2 way would have the problem of energy signatures getting intermangled or crossed. I believe the Ancients designed the gates to be one way only to prevent any kind of hazard upon using the gate network.

- And the problem "seeing through the event horizon" is not possible because of the sheer distance, plus the elementary basics for designing the wormhole/event horizon dont allow for a "line of sight" from one end to the other. It's because of the path the wormhole takes. It would be like trying to see the road up ahead, but having tress blocking the path. The subspace in which the wormhole travels doesnt allow for it.

- Entering through the back of the gate would be like trying to go the opposite way of a one-way street. the back of the gate is what is median of what makes the connection of the 2 wormholes, whereas the dhd/stargate is the medium.

- I do agree with creating a wormhole that doesnt have the unstable vortex of energy. I believe that the Atlantis gate solves the problem, along with other gates surrounding the pegasus galaxy. But that gate network is a separate network from that of the known gate network.

- I also agree with there being a new set of symbols and glyphs for the stargates since obviously the pegasus galaxy is in a region space that could possibly have a different chart of stars and constellations that are used for calculations between 2 gates. Obviously even our most advanced telescope cant see every region of space, so there will be obvious stars that we cannot see on Earth or in our point of the universe, but that exist in another part of the universe which provide the "map" for the new gate network.

My thoughts on evolving the stargate revolve mainly around the idea of how the gate will be used once the system is free of the goa'uld and Wraith, and what will become of the 9th chevron, and what it will mean, and whether the gate will be re-designed when possibly new/more chevrons, and a new way of using the stargate, like making it possible to transport from one planet to another within a galaxy, which is virtually impossible due to the current setup of the gate system and the way it relies on the star constellations.
              Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

a few other possibilities that have crossed my mind since I heard about the blue gate...

8. When I first heard about Atlantis, for some reason I was thinking that maybe the entire city can move around, like, maybe the city is actually a starship, or can move via the stargate wormholes without actually going through the gate itself (a la ST-DS9 wormhole, but uses the blue gate to create a larger external wormhole and the gate travels with the city itself), etc...

9. SPOILER... I've heard something about Ancient technology that can only be used by people that have a specific gene. Maybe the blue gate only allows these people through and noone else? (although, that doesn't make a whole lotta sense... how would their equipment/clothes make it though the wormhole then?!)

10. since the new chevrons are blue, will the new event horizon be red?

- And the problem "seeing through the event horizon" is not possible because of the sheer distance, plus the elementary basics for designing the wormhole/event horizon dont allow for a "line of sight" from one end to the other. It's because of the path the wormhole takes. It would be like trying to see the road up ahead, but having tress blocking the path. The subspace in which the wormhole travels doesnt allow for it.
                Interesting... but if radio signals can make it through the wormhole unaffected, why not the visible light spectrum? "Sheer distance" has nothing to do with it because they communicate via radios in realtime.

Comment

Spoiler
                  From my understanding, there is a particular gene in about 1 in 100 people that allows them to use the technology of the Ancients, and one of the SG-A Team members, specifically Dr Beckett, just happens to have that gene.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                    Yea the ATeam becoming dependant on Ancient Tech. Is really wack.

Just noticed:
                    You know on the Atlantis site, those pics of ships? Well those ships were already show. In SPACE RACE. Those ships were the decorating models of that guy, who was passed up for promotion for inside trading. Just wanted to tell you guys.
                    Who says they are dependant on ancient tech? In the trailer Weir says "We *MAY* not be able to return"
                    And also...in the spoilers...someone is sent back to earth. Which means they have access to earth still. I'd guess they can only do that every so often as it takes a great amount of energy to open a wormhole that distance. So they probably only use it for getting supplies and more troops.
                    It feels good to be alive.
                    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaFishTank

Just my $0.02
                      I'm gonna wager maybe that the Atlantis gate can use the same chevron more than once in an address...opening up a larger range of address possibilities...

Or

The inner workings are alot more advanced offering new and exciting stories.

I hope they keep the splash...that's almost as important as a lightsaber sound in star wars.

Comment

I had a thought... if only the hub gates look like the one we've seen, and the rest are standard, maybe the rest are standard, but with blue chevrons... now that would be cool!
                        Sheppard and Mitchell: and you were worried they were going to be O'Neill clones?

Two of my favorite shows are about Jonathan Sheppard, assuming Jack is always short for Jonathan. Weird, huh? (Lost and Atlantis)

Comment

also.. I'm almost sure that a pretty lightshow is cheaper in the end than an actual spinning ring.
                          The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
                            Who says they are dependant on ancient tech? In the trailer Weir says "We *MAY* not be able to return"
                            And also...in the spoilers...someone is sent back to earth. Which means they have access to earth still. I'd guess they can only do that every so often as it takes a great amount of energy to open a wormhole that distance. So they probably only use it for getting supplies and more troops.
                            Ok, I will take it you didnt watch much of season 7 or you would know that to battle the Goa'uld, the SGC is looking for Ancients' technology in order to battle the Goa'uld. So it would be pretty important if a person were to have the gene that allows them to use the Technology or the 8th would be pretty pointless. And its not that they are dependent on the technology. They are just wanting to use it to compliment their own technology in the war with the Goa'uld.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy867
                              Ok, I will take it you didnt watch much of season 7 or you would know that to battle the Goa'uld, the SGC is looking for Ancients' technology in order to battle the Goa'uld. So it would be pretty important if a person were to have the gene that allows them to use the Technology or the 8th would be pretty pointless. And its not that they are dependent on the technology. They are just wanting to use it to compliment their own technology in the war with the Goa'uld.
                              huh? Yea..I know they are going to Atlantis to find ancient technology to battle their enemies. But not sure why you bring up the Gene thing...
                              I guess your response kind of confused me..seems we are talking about different things...I was just saying that they can return to earth when they need to (the humans)
                              But I see what you are saying now...about them needing it for defense. I thought you meant they needed it because they had nothing else to use while exploring this new galaxy.

Comment

Actually, there is evidence that the gate on Earth is the first (or HUB) gate in our galaxy. In the movie, the Abydos gate had different symbols because constellations would be different in a different galaxy. But, SG-1 changed all that. First by moving Abydos to our galaxy, then by making all stargates have the exact same symbols on it, except for a unique POO. (They even screwed this up several times by using a regular symbol for POO)

If all gates in the system have the same symbols, which just happen to be constellations seen in the Earth sky-that basically proves that Earth is the original Hub of our galaxy. Unfortuanately, that only leaves us with a total of 1.987 Billion addresses. An 8th chevron mulitplier gives us 63.6 Billion, and a 9th Chevron multiplier (unproven to be canon yet) brings it up to 1.971 Trillion.

That's a lot of gates. But, there could be a lot of planets left out. We do know that the 8th Chevron allowed dialing into the Ida galaxy, but presumably the symbols were the same to allow dialing back to Earth. (Using constellations seen from Earth, again indicating Earth as Gate#1) Perhaps, the 9th Chevron is needed to dial Pegasus. The Asgard stated that the Ancients had moved on from our region of space, meaning our galaxy and Ida, which could mean that the Pegasus system are newer gates. To allow travel back to Earth however, they would have to have the same symbols, or otherwise completely rechart the universe from Pegasus, which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem for the Ancients

Comment

Working...
                                X