Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Extinction Pre-Viewing PLOT discussion, speculation and eventual spoilers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
    that pic can cause a sugar buzz! love the peeps army!!!

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
    They don't repeatedly talk about the movies.. it's the fans who reapeatedly keep asking..if they didn't frankly I don't think we would hear a peep about them.. the latest development is that Brad Wright is not even pushing for an SGA movie.. the reason being he didn't write it... At comic con Brad Wright promised an SGA movie.. he never said anything about doing an SG1 movie first.. SGA was to continue with a movie... but then we've had everything from the economy to ratings, to DVD sales, and then ultimately to MGM going bankrupt.. MGM didnt go bankrupt overnight... its been happening for a long time.. but yet they are able to finance SGU with its huge budget.. we don't hear of any disclaimers about MGM not being able to fund a 3rd season of SGU.. why not?.. if they are bankrupt and have no money, why do Brad and Co keep saying that SGU will go 5 seasons and more and if it's cancelled, then the SGU movie will get made first... I thought the failing DVD market was the reason the movies couldn't get made.. why wouldn't this effect the SGU movie... the SGU DVD market has been pretty dismal.. so its nothing to do with conspiracy theories.. it's all to do with the ptb changing their story every five minutes.... and strangely all these issues don't seem to effect SGU...

Why is SG1 being being pushed for and not SGA.. I've heard things like SG1 is a proven success...and a sure thing.. but nothing is EVER a sure thing.. I think SGU has proven that......just because the first 2 SG1 movies did well doesn't mean that a third one will do well also. (same with the series).. many of the fans from the first 2 series have moved on... nothing is a sure thing.. as to writing a script... scripts get written all the time.. its not really a big deal..
    said with intelligence and logic my friend, as always!
    Originally posted by KEK View Post
    I think you're being naive. Stargate is a small name compared to other franchise's out there, it's not the sort of thing that's going to come back after a decade of inactivity, it doesn't have any where near the selling power of Star Trek or Star Wars, or even Dr Who.
    Oh heavens not naive at all... just more far-seeing than you may realize...let's stroll down memory lane (oh the advantages of advanced age....) let's see--- they 'remade" Lost in Space (terrible show and terrible movie) The Original Star Trek Movie actually got made in late 1979 despite being based on a "stupid little show that was cancelled a decade ago" (what can i say... I was 17 at the time and remembered the worries that it would be a waste of time), the original BSG only lasted 1 1/2 seasons and the original V only lasted one...yet wow! who'da thunk....they've been remade! and then there was the Serenity Movie, and kiddo, even Star Wars (the first movie) was a huge "surprise" hit! I remember the news reports and shock of the critics at how big Star wars was....so a franchise isn't made...it's born and grows slowly! I think you need to read a bit more tv/movie history to see how these "phenomena " happen.
    Last edited by Rac80; 02 July 2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

How are any of those examples comparable to Stargate? Star Trek was ground breaking, it attracted a massive cult following from the get-go, ditto Star Wars, whereas Stargate has done nothing of the sort. V and Lost in Space are remakes, which I don't think we're talking about, I don't think anyone here wants a remake, they want a continuation. The only comparable franchise I can think of is Buffy, but that hasn't been off the air long enough to draw any conclusions, but I'll be surprised if the franchise doesn't wither and die once the comics dry up.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
        How are any of those examples comparable to Stargate? Star Trek was ground breaking, it attracted a massive cult following from the get-go, ditto Star Wars, whereas Stargate has done nothing of the sort. V and Lost in Space are remakes, which I don't think we're talking about, I don't think anyone here wants a remake, they want a continuation. The only comparable franchise I can think of is Buffy, but that hasn't been off the air long enough to draw any conclusions, but I'll be surprised if the franchise doesn't wither and die once the comics dry up.
        HISTORICAL CONTEXT! sheesh!! Star Trek did not get a massive cult following from the beginning--IT WAS CANCELLED ---then it languished for many years in syndication reruns as my generation watched and rewatched eps - the first trek convention was held in 1972 (three years after cancellation) and had only a handful of attendees (a few hundred)who were the organizers and simply re-screened eps...it took years for the trek convention business to grow. Even the first star tek movie was not a hit.
        Now Star wars was a huge hit.... but it shocked the industry... no epected Lucas's "space opera" (yep that is what it was) to be the phenomenon it was. When he did the second trilogy there were skeptics too, but by then no one bet agains lucas.
        I am personally praying for a Stargate reboot by someone the caliber of JJ Abrams in a few years once sgu has been flushed! but to get back on topic....
        nope no hope of extinction being made.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
          HISTORICAL CONTEXT! sheesh!! Star Trek did not get a massive cult following from the beginning--IT WAS CANCELLED ---
          So? it aired on a mainstream network, something Stargate has never managed, and was kept on the air through unprecedented letter writing campaigns from the cult following it had attracted. I'm not suggesting it had the massive fanbase it has today, but it was still a phenomenon in it's day, and much more mainstream than Stargate has ever been.

Now Star wars was a huge hit.... but it shocked the industry... no epected Lucas's "space opera" (yep that is what it was) to be the phenomenon it was. When he did the second trilogy there were skeptics too, but by then no one bet agains lucas.
          I don't see how the surprise at Star War's success is really relevant. The point is the selling power of Star Wars drawfs that of Stargate, and a 10 year gap probably wouldn't hurt the name, whereas for Stargate (especially with the old fanbase) it really would.

Comment

Star Trek was on the air because in those days syndication was CHEAP!!! Roddenberry wanted some cash...it used to be shown (locally for me) at 3pm every. were you even alive in the 70's? probably not! It was never mainstream nor was a phenomenon ...it was considered a massive failure at the time! the movies were pooh-poohed and it wasn't considered a hit until the search for spock came out...and it still took a while for TNG to be made. get some perspective......

Stars wars just goes to show that if a show is good people like it...

Comment

Are you aiming to be incredibly condescending with the constant rolling eyes? If so, mission accomplished. Star Trek aired on prime time NBC, it was more mainstream than Stargate has ever been even then. The cult following grew as it went into syndicated around the world after the cancellation, which is what put a revival back on the cards. The situation isn't comparable to Stargate, which already airs in syndication but can only manage it on a much smaller network. The selling power of the names, even back then simply isn't comparable, Star Trek's exposure back then dwarfs anything Stargate has ever had, and likely ever will. Star Trek was ground breaking and something everyone had heard of, Stargate is just another sci-fi series to most people.

Comment

There are a lot of remakes of series or movies. I could add a few more examples to Rac80's examples, but I think she already made the point very well, that old series or franchises are often revived.

The Stargate franchise includes already one big cinema movie, 17 seasons, and two TV movies. It is already quite big, of course not like Star Trek is now. Nevertheless the Stargate name is relative well known worldwide. I am quite optimistic that further in the future someone will make again a Stargate movie or series and although I would prefer a good series, which continues the story line of SG1 and SGA, I won't mind a good remake.

The Stargate franchise is already dead for me. It can't get deader. Even if I would know for sure, that there won't be any Stargate movies or series after SGU's cancellation, I would still hope it gets cancelled soon. Syfy could use the money of SGU for producing another series outside of the Stargate franchise, which I may like. It would also free a time slot for the hopefully new better series.

Comment

I never said that shows are never remade or revived, only that to count on it happening is naive. There are far more shows that die and never return than ones that do. If Stargate dies now, it could come back, but chances are it won't. If you want SG-1/SGA style Stargate back, then your best bet is either a very successful DVD movie, or a new series following SGU, but to wish a 10 year cooling off period would be borderline suicidal for the franchise.

Comment

Folks

The topic is the movie extinction...not your opinions about sga or sgu.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Beka View Post
                      There are a lot of remakes of series or movies. I could add a few more examples to Rac80's examples, but I think she already made the point very well, that old series or franchises are often revived.

The Stargate franchise includes already one big cinema movie, 17 seasons, and two TV movies. It is already quite big, of course not like Star Trek is now. Nevertheless the Stargate name is relative well known worldwide. I am quite optimistic that further in the future someone will make again a Stargate movie or series and although I would prefer a good series, which continues the story line of SG1 and SGA, I won't mind a good remake.

The Stargate franchise is already dead for me. It can't get deader. Even if I would know for sure, that there won't be any Stargate movies or series after SGU's cancellation, I would still hope it gets cancelled soon. Syfy could use the money of SGU for producing another series outside of the Stargate franchise, which I may like. It would also free a time slot for the hopefully new better series.
                      So what if the movies would get made but only if there was a third seasons of SGU.. would it be worth it..

Come to think of it, didn't JM say its a when not an if for the SG-1 movie.. OH BUT STARGATE IS SOOOOOO DEAD.. Even though theres going to be another movie and 20 new episodes of stargate its sooo dead.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but TPTB made it clear, if SGU will be cancelled, there won't be any 4th series and it's very unlikely that you will have your movies.
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                          So what if the movies would get made but only if there was a third seasons of SGU.. would it be worth it..

Come to think of it, didn't JM say its a when not an if for the SG-1 movie.. OH BUT STARGATE IS SOOOOOO DEAD.. Even though theres going to be another movie and 20 new episodes of stargate its sooo dead.
                          Major, go back and re-read Beka's statement. Stargate is dead to Him/Her, not dead in general.
                          sigpic
                          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                            I'm sorry to disappoint you, but TPTB made it clear, if SGU will be cancelled, there won't be any 4th series and it's very unlikely that you will have your movies.
                            There won't be a 4th series with the current PTB or a new Stargate movie. They said that they want to move on to other things, which is understandable after such a long time. I think when SGU gets cancelled, MGM and Syfy will probably come to the conclusion, that people are oversaturated with Stargate and that the franchise needs a longer break, at least a few years long, probably even longer. I think it is quite possible that the Stargate franchise will be revived again further in the future with a new series or a new Stargate movie (I don't mean a SG1 or SGA movie, as I don't think those will ever be made!!!). Of course I don't know this for sure, but TPTB also can't see in the future and know for sure that there won't be another Stargate series or movie!!! Or do you believe they are clairvoyants? I am sure that for example Gene Roddenberry also didn't know in 1969, that there will be more Star Trek series and movies in the future.

Comment

There won't be a 4th series with the current PTB or a new Stargate movie. They said that they want to move on to other things, which is understandable after such a long time. I think when SGU gets cancelled, MGM and Syfy will probably come to the conclusion, that people are oversaturated with Stargate and that the franchise needs a longer break, at least a few years long, probably even longer. I think it is quite possible that the Stargate franchise will be revived again further in the future with a new series or a new Stargate movie (I don't mean a SG1 or SGA movie, as I don't think those will ever be made!!!). Of course I don't know this for sure, but TPTB also can't see in the future and know for sure that there won't be another Stargate series or movie!!! Or do you believe they are clairvoyants? I am sure that for example Gene Roddenberry also didn't know in 1969, that there will be more Star Trek series and movies in the future.
                              wishful thinking
                              Stolen Kosovo
                              sigpic

Comment

Ok for all those who say the movie won't happen.. say it gets greenlit and films this fall.. would you buy it on DVD when it comes out?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X