Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deathly allergic to citrus, and other odd thoughts...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madeleine View Post
    I still think Rodney's allergy is an attention-seeking thing that he's made up.
    That would be supported by Moebius and his favorite food in that episode: lemon chicken
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate_muffin View Post
      That would be supported by Moebius and his favorite food in that episode: lemon chicken
      That was an in-joke. For some reason, in the new timeline McKay just happens to not be allergic to citrus. I mean really. What would be the point in making up a deadly allergy for no reason. He might be a hypochondriac, but all the things he's afraid of, he's afraid of for real reasons.

I mean really, he's not rimmer.
      "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
      "Those who abandon the path are evil."
      "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
        I wonder if it was Sheppard who was allergic to citrus if we'd even be having the conversation?

Nope!

I doubt anyone would question any one else's medical problems... but seeing it's Rodney, so of COURSE he's a lying sack of cow dung!

I mean if he says he's also allergic to bee stings and no one will believe him and he gets stung by a bee "well gosh sorry Rodney you are a known hypochondriac so, well ,why should we believe a word you say?"

I find this really crappy that no one takes a person at his word!
        Rodney isn't a person. He's a fiction. While I agree that we should take people at their word, I disagree that this should apply to fictions simply because they resemble people

The 'ideal' real person is truthful and kind, but the ideal fiction is interesting. It's no insult to Rodney to suggest he's lying. If I wanted to insult Rodney I'd call him tedious - that's the worst insult anyone can throw at a fiction.

Rodney in the alternate universe ate lemon quite happily. And in his first or second appearance in the SGC, 'our' Rodney made an unnecessarily big deal about his allergy. And Rodney is a multilayered person full of interesting hangups and neurotic tendencies, so there's more to him than just the words he says

Madeleine

Comment

Citric acid allergy is odd. I was severely allergic to raspberries when I was a kid, and the doctor thought it bizarre that I could eat oranges and pineapple without a problem. I grew out of it though and can now happily stuff my face with raspberries every summer

My interpretation is that Rodney is allergic to citric acid, at least in some forms, but it's the "deathly" part that is the hyperbole that we all know and love
          sigpic

Comment

Is Rodney really allergic to citrus? I believe him..(I know he is pretend)

I find it funny (not ha ha funny, but weird funny) that no one takes him seriously (fictional character I know weird huh?) I mean the Anti McKay thread has a crack about his allergy in the thread title (which I find INCREDIBLY tacky)

So people make fun of this fictional characters allergy *headshake*

Is he or isn't he? I think to not take someone (pretend) or real at their word is rude!

I am allergic to pears! I have to read labels like CRAZY..they put pear juice in soooo much crud I wanna scream...So I tend to get IRKED when other people so casually disregard people when the say "Hey I'm allergic to lemons or bee stings"

Even if they are a pretend person!
            Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

I think English Literature and Drama would be much poorer if everything anyone said had to be taken as literal truth. Entire books are devoted to the analysis of fictional characters such as Holden Caulfield, Henry V, Elizabeth Bennett and Homer Simpson, and it's usually considered permissible to ponder whether at times these characters are being self delusional, or exagerating, or dissembling.

I doubt I'd have ever managed to please my lecturers with an essay that read "no one in this play/book ever means anything other than what they say, and even if they do we shouldn't discuss it, because it'd be rude of us"

Madeleine

Comment

Is Rodney really allergic to citrus? I believe him..(I know he is pretend)

I find it funny (not ha ha funny, but weird funny) that no one takes him seriously (fictional character I know weird huh?) I mean the Anti McKay thread has a crack about his allergy in the thread title (which I find INCREDIBLY tacky)

So people make fun of this fictional characters allergy *headshake*

Is he or isn't he? I think to not take someone (pretend) or real at their word is rude!

I am allergic to pears! I have to read labels like CRAZY..they put pear juice in soooo much crud I wanna scream...So I tend to get IRKED when other people so casually disregard people when the say "Hey I'm allergic to lemons or bee stings"

Even if they are a pretend person!
                But Rodney's whole personality is one big exageration. He's the brightest, most important person around, in his opinion. He's an attention seeker. If you're ignorning Rodney, he's got to find a way to get that attention focused back on him. He probably learned early on as a child that the best way to get the adults' attention was to play up an illness.

Could he have an actual citrus allergy? Possibly. I think it's probably more likely to be a sensitivity to the food. I have a sensitivity to milk products. It's an uncomfortable reaction, not deadly. I get a headache and nasal congestion. If I wanted to exagerate and get attention, I could insist everyone screen my food for the slightest hint of milk in it, lest dire consequences result. Since I'm not an attention hound, I watch my own diet like any normal functioning adult would.

Comment

My initial thought on the matter was it was citrus in general but knowing rodney that could be way out of proportion
                  Some say that he has only one ear.
                  And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                  All we know is he's called
                  sigpic

Comment

Just because someone is a Drama Queen *STILL* does not make the allergy any less real than it is!

It is YOUR problem if you choose to not take it seriously! (Pretend Person ) or real!
                    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

This is the blame of the TPTB/writer's for not giving a CLEAR definition to Rodney's allergy.

I know they use the allergy as comic relief, but to have to people question weather you have a valid allergy is just weird.

No one EVER takes his allergy serious and that is the TPTB fault.
                      Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                      But Rodney's whole personality is one big exageration. He's the brightest, most important person around, in his opinion. He's an attention seeker. If you're ignorning Rodney, he's got to find a way to get that attention focused back on him. He probably learned early on as a child that the best way to get the adults' attention was to play up an illness.

Could he have an actual citrus allergy? Possibly. I think it's probably more likely to be a sensitivity to the food. I have a sensitivity to milk products. It's an uncomfortable reaction, not deadly. I get a headache and nasal congestion. If I wanted to exagerate and get attention, I could insist everyone screen my food for the slightest hint of milk in it, lest dire consequences result. Since I'm not an attention hound, I watch my own diet like any normal functioning adult would.
                      yep that is the total point, mckay is a bigger drama queen than a teen-age girl! sooooo I vote for the allergy being all in his head. Yhat is why TPTB make fun of it and have everyone tease him about it.

Comment

Just because someone is a Drama Queen *STILL* does not make the allergy any less real than it is!

It is YOUR problem if you choose to not take it seriously! (Pretend Person ) or real!
                        No it doesn't make the allergy less real. It may make it a whole lot less life-threatening though. If Rodney's allergy is less a sensitivity and more of a dangerous life-threatening type of illness, then that is something he would share with his doctor -- Dr. Carson Beckett -- the man who looked completely unconcerned as Rodney stood next to him questioning if there might be citrus in the food he was actively ingesting at the time (Rising).

Having a food allergy is certainly a bother, just as it's a bother for anyone else with a diet-affected illness such as diabetes, heartburn, high cholesterol etc.

If Rodney does indeed have a life-threatening illness, then he should take proper precautions just as anyone else does -- wear an alert bracelet, carry medication, make sure it's noted in his medical records, etc. Since, we've never seen evidence of any of this, I have to conclude that Rodney's allergies are greatly exagerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                          No it doesn't make the allergy less real. It may make it a whole lot less life-threatening though. If Rodney's allergy is less a sensitivity and more of a dangerous life-threatening type of illness, then that is something he would share with his doctor -- Dr. Carson Beckett -- the man who looked completely unconcerned as Rodney stood next to him questioning if there might be citrus in the food he was actively ingesting at the time (Rising).

Having a food allergy is certainly a bother, just as it's a bother for anyone else with a diet-affected illness such as diabetes, heartburn, high cholesterol etc.

If Rodney does indeed have a life-threatening illness, then he should take proper precautions just as anyone else does -- wear an alert bracelet, carry medication, make sure it's noted in his medical records, etc. Since, we've never seen evidence of any of this, I have to conclude that Rodney's allergies are greatly exagerated.
                          I think your explanation is good and makes sense.

The one thing that has been very consistent about Rodney’s character is that he tends to overreact in certain situations – especially if that situation involves his health and/or life.
                          He is a hypochondriac. He gets a scratch and fears the worse or thinks of all the terrible things that could happen. Yet his character has evolved and we have seen that despite his fears he is willing to risk his life for his friends. I think that this is what has made his character special, lovable and vulnerable. It is why episodes such as “Tao of Rodney” and “The Shrine” worked so well, because you could really feel for Rodney, understand how unfair it was and scared he was realizing that all his “fears” have come true.

It is likely that at some point Rodney had a reaction when eating a lemon. Whether it was from the lemon, food poisoning or something else we don’t know. Was it life threatening? - Likely no. Medical personnel take these reactions very seriously and someone who would be going on an expedition with Atlantis would have that as part of his medical record and certainly Carson/Keller would be concerned about it.

I think it was the writer’s intent that Rodney never had a life threatening allergy, but rather used as a plot point to further illustrate the character, his hypochondriac tendencies and as a way to advance the character showing that despite his tendency to worry and overreact he is willing to put his life on the line for others. I think this makes his character stronger, more interesting and more conplex.

In real life true life threatening allergies are not a joke or a laughing matter but as it has been pointed out, Rodney is a fictional character. I don’t think the writers have represented Rodney’s allergy as anything else than a case of him overreacting as a way to define and illustrate growth/development of the character.
                          Last edited by EdenSG; 21 April 2009, 05:54 AM. Reason: wording

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
                            I think your explanation is good and makes sense.

The one thing that has been very consistent about Rodney’s character is that he tends to overreact in certain situations – especially if that situation involves his health and/or life.
                            He is a hypochondriac. He gets a scratch and fears the worse or thinks of all the terrible things that could happen. Yet his character has evolved and we have seen that despite his fears he is willing to risk his life for his friends. I think that this is what has made his character special, lovable and vulnerable. It is why episodes such as “Tao of Rodney” and “The Shrine” worked so well, because you could really feel for Rodney, understand how unfair it was and scared he was realizing that all his “fears” have come true.

It is likely that at some point Rodney had a reaction when eating a lemon. Whether it was from the lemon, food poisoning or something else we don’t know. Was it life threatening? - Likely no. Medical personnel take these reactions very seriously and someone who would be going on an expedition with Atlantis would have that as part of his medical record and certainly Carson/Keller would be concerned about it.

I think it was the writer’s intent that Rodney never had a life threatening allergy, but rather used as a plot point to further illustrate the character, his hypochondriac tendencies and as a way to advance the character showing that despite his tendency to worry and overreact he is willing to put his life on the line for others. I think this makes his character stronger, more interesting and more conplex.

In real life true life threatening allergies are not a joke or a laughing matter but as it has been pointed out, Rodney is a fictional character. I don’t think the writers have represented Rodney’s allergy as anything else than a case of him overreacting as a way to define and illustrate growth/development of the character.
                            Agreed, for the most part. Whether you find his ego-centrism endearing or just plain irritating, as I do, I believe the intent of Rodney's allergies and his exagerated reaction to them is TPTBs efforts to highlight his eccentricity and self-involvement as a character.

McKay is all about bluster and drama, and his reaction to his citrus allergy is just further demonstration of that.

Comment

I went to Italy for a week and everyone started talking about lemons! Weird!

Anyway, having spent a week reading labels in a foreign language, I found the recent posts particularly funny. I have a nut allergy, but have no idea exactly how serious it is. (For example, I've always been able to eat Toblerone chocolate, which has 'honey and almond' nougat pieces in it, but a piece of Bakewell tart (almond), which I ate not knowing what it was, had my throat closing up and made me sick.) Since going into complicated explanations is usually too much bother I tend to call anything with nuts "death food", and then you don't get the "go on, try it, you might like it" stuff...

If anyone needs me, I'll be over in my self-involved, eccentric corner with Rodney, pondering these odd thoughts:

1) When Rodney is shot in the gluteous maximus with an arrow, Carson is checking him over later in the episode. Are those lemons on McKay's boxer shorts?

2) How many PhDs does Rodney have? (I was watching an episode where someone had an idea and Rodney asked something like "How many PhDs does he have?" aaaaaaaaand then I started wondering. Yes, I took Atlantis and my laptop with me to Italy. Yes, I am a geek.

Comment

Originally posted by Alder View Post
                                2) How many PhDs does Rodney have? (I was watching an episode where someone had an idea and Rodney asked something like "How many PhDs does he have?" aaaaaaaaand then I started wondering. Yes, I took Atlantis and my laptop with me to Italy. Yes, I am a geek.
                                I think it was in Duet, when Rodney tried to shut up Cadman while he was thinking, asking her if she had one in physics or engineering; I think Mckay has both...
                                sigpic
                                Sig by RogueRanger

Comment

Working...
                                X