Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

priceless..... you can not build something technologically yet impossible to be build.
    even if Queen Elizabeth spend trillions, she can never build a nuclear submarine

Comment

What does that even mean?

Comment

Originally posted by kenny4657 View Post
        priceless..... you can not build something technologically yet impossible to be build.
        even if Queen Elizabeth spend trillions, she can never build a nuclear submarine
        What?

Comment

I'm going to say 10 billion dolars to build. That includes a full compliment of 302's.

Comment

Don't they say in one of the SG-1 episodes how much it cost to build the first one?
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              What does that even mean?
              i think that we are not technologically advanced to make it, so money doesn't matter. Which doesn't make any sense anyway since we have already made them.
              You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                Forgot about that

But still, is it possible to use it for ship construction? I doubt that they could produce large parts and material for a 304 with out useing insane amounts of energy. I doubt that anything but a ZPM could possibly crank out enough juice for a 304. you can't just make something out of nothing, it would require power that we don't have. Even if we have that power it would make for a pretty huge electric bill.
                I'm no physicist, but I've read on GW (from a number of members that seemed to know what they were talking about) that with enough energy you can create matter, obviously you can't get something from nothing, but I think the technology could say take raw materials like Trinium, Naqueda, Neutronium, etc and make various components for Tauri ships.
                You obviously wouldn't wanna say use the Odyssey or another 304 to do the job of making all your ships as you'd end up depleting their power sources and their time would be better spent exploring and fighting Earth's enemies.
                The better thing to do would be to create a bunch of mining ships that use the Asgard beaming tech to transport the raw materials to a cargo hold and then drop these off where ever your ship yard(s) were.
                The ship yards could be powered off of Naqueda generators, STs or NIGs, have the matter conversion tech, a bunch of transporters and even the Asgard's tractor beam tech (mentioned in Unnatural Selection season 6 of SG1), controlled from computer consoles you could probably make a ship without even having to touch the components before they were pieced together, you could even build vessels virtually and IMO just beam them out as it wasn't a problem for Thor to transport the Pyramids away in Thor's Chariot and I seem to recall the Prometheus transporting a building that Baal had turned into a Naqueda bomb into space before it exploded in season 8 of SG1.

I don't think the Asgard were strong enough to stand welding bits of metal together, they probably used these methods to get the job done in a fraction of the time it takes Earth to make it's 304s.

Comment

Originally posted by ablevins425 View Post
                  i think that we are not technologically advanced to make it, so money doesn't matter. Which doesn't make any sense anyway since we have already made them.
                  The only logical conclusion there is that you're wrong about us not being advanced enough to build them then.

Comment

Come on people, your asking how much it is to build a fictional spaceship in a fictional world; yet you remain under the idea it will be constructed in our world with a crane and a screwdriver!

In the stargate universe there is matter conversion, beaming tech, and an army of miners that have altered their lives just to dig for ore for free...well we may offer them a pallet of Jaffa cakes, quicker to eat but far less protein than a Go’auld.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                      Come on people, your asking how much it is to build a fictional spaceship in a fictional world; yet you remain under the idea it will be constructed in our world with a crane and a screwdriver!

In the stargate universe there is matter conversion, beaming tech, and an army of miners that have altered their lives just to dig for ore for free...well we may offer them a pallet of Jaffa cakes, quicker to eat but far less protein than a Go’auld.
                      I wasn't, I think you must have missed mine and a few other people's posts here.
                      You don't even really need the Unas to mine Naqueda now as like I said before you could just build mining ships, track the veins of ore from orbit, with the Asgard's sensors and just beam the stuff out, then return to one of your ship yards, which could pretty much make 304s or any other ships you'd built virtually in the ship yard's computer core, with the raw materials you could have grabbed from pretty much any planet that has them on in the local group of galaxies, although it would make sense to grab them from MW first.

Overall the manpower to operate an advanced ship yard would probably cost a few million dollars to run a year (as it's a specialized job and they'd have to be highly qualified in that field), as far as cost per ship, without having to use materials from Earth and thousands of people to piece the thing together it would definitely not be in the billions, in fact when you think about it all you'd have to pay out is the cost of the manpower to make each vessel as materials wouldn't come from Earth.

This is all assuming that whoever makes Earth's ships now is not so stupid as to use the sa,me methods as they did before getting the Asgard's technology, I mean you'd think they'd at least look up how the Asgard made their ships in the knowledge base.
                      Last edited by Rise Of The Phoenix; 30 December 2008, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Even with matter conversion technology and off-world mining, building a 304 will cost a ton of money.

I doubt matter converters will be beaming down whole 304's that are ready to use. More likely, it would be making 304 components that need to be put together. So while you're saving some money that would be spent constructing these components, it will still be expensive paying people to put it together.

Also, don't forget that nothing is free. It still cost money to use beaming technology or off-world mining. It might be less costly then doing it the old fashion way, but it will still be very expensive creating, using, and maintaining the infrastructure needed for these advanced processes.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
                          Even with matter conversion technology and off-world mining, building a 304 will cost a ton of money.

I doubt matter converters will be beaming down whole 304's that are ready to use. More likely, it would be making 304 components that need to be put together. So while you're saving some money that would be spent constructing these components, it will still be expensive paying people to put it together.

Also, don't forget that nothing is free. It still cost money to use beaming technology or off-world mining. It might be less costly then doing it the old fashion way, but it will still be very expensive creating, using, and maintaining the infrastructure needed for these advanced processes.
                          Remember there's not just the Matter Converters.
                          Transporters can transport materials to where they're needed and the Asgard had tractor beam technology which can be used to hold heavy items in place while they're fixed together using the matter converters in a similar fashion as welding tools do.
                          What I'm saying is that each of these technologies would be used to make the ship under Human control or an automated process and when used in the correct way you don't really need a team of hundreds of people to make a vessel or really hundreds of man hours to get the job done.

The advanced processes of manufacture are just like they are in real world construction, where a group of tools pieces together different parts of the whole finished object, only using much more advanced technologies that won't wear out as quickly as current tech due to the materials they themselves are made of or how they work.
                          I don't even think these pieces of Asgard technologies have moving parts.

The only cost would be the man power at each level.

TBO if Prometheus could beam a skyscraper into space or the Baliskner could transport Goauld pyramids away from Cimmeria I think the matter converters can tackle fabricating large complicated objects like ships, but that would of course be too easy.

Comment

I wanna build the Daedalus and see how that goes. would be cool to command the daedalus!!
                            This is Colonel Steven Caldwell
                            Commander of the Earth ship Daedalus
                            we are ready to assist you!

" open up those bays all batteries "

sigpic

Comment

alot of money proboly 100000000 dollars or more

ATLANTIS FOREVER

Comment

$42 exactly.

No more. No less.

Took me a long time to figure that number out so be grateful.

Comment

Working...
                                X