Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whytewytch View Post
    **Whytewytch smells a rat**

Given what we know of the creators of this show and their...off-beat...senses of humor, I would not put it past them to have dropped this little hint just to watch the reaction. ("Hey, hey, go throw a rock at that bee's nest!")

Personally, although I write my favs as slash anyway, I don't truly think any of the recurring characters are gay. IMO, to have Lorne be gay would be almost condescending: He's cute, he's artistic, he loves his family, he's from San Francisco (because everyone from SF is gay, right? **rolls eyes**). Naw, Lorne's just a really nice guy--admittedly, something you don't see a lot of on screen nowadays, but still, just a genuinely nice guy.

I'm going to go with my original theory, that TPTB were just creating a buzz, trying to get a rise out of the fandom.
    So...gay people aren't cute, artistic, don't love their families, and they're not really nice people? I know you didn't say that directly, however, it can be inferred from what you did say.
    sigpic

Comment

As you say, he is one of those who can be shipped with nearly anyone and have it work--bacause he's so danged cute IMO. I started writing him het, then wrote him slash with a male of Ancient design (partially human), and since have written him both slash (mostly for one shtos that are PWP) and het (working on one with an OFC, got two others in mind, one OFC, one Teyla).

I honestly could mostly care less--just don't want it to be Lorne 'cause the man's a personal crush and because it would be so stereotypical. If it was, though...meh. Might even be pretty hot to watch him kiss another guy!
      sigpic
      Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
      Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

As you say, he is one of those who can be shipped with nearly anyone and have it work--bacause he's so danged cute IMO. I started writing him het, then wrote him slash with a male of Ancient design (partially human), and since have written him both slash (mostly for one shtos that are PWP) and het (working on one with an OFC, got two others in mind, one OFC, one Teyla).

I honestly could mostly care less--just don't want it to be Lorne 'cause the man's a personal crush and because it would be so stereotypical. If it was, though...meh. Might even be pretty hot to watch him kiss another guy!
        O_o Stereotypical? I don't follow your logic on that one in the least.
        sigpic

Comment

He's def. not stereotypical. He doesn't talk with a lisp, doesn't wear drag, doesn't act flamboyantly, etc...

Comment

Perhaps I misspoke. I only meant like what I said before:
            IMO, to have Lorne be gay would be almost condescending: He's cute, he's artistic, he loves his family, he's from San Francisco (because everyone from SF is gay, right? **rolls eyes**). Naw, Lorne's just a really nice guy--admittedly, something you don't see a lot of on screen nowadays, but still, just a genuinely nice guy.
            No, he's not "flaming", but not all gay guys are that forward about it. I have known many gay and bi men that surprised the heck out of me when they told me. And if it was that easy to spot on the show, there'd be no need for this thread to be a question. So, how do you tell if someone's gay? And for that matter, who cares unless you want to date them? Mind, I'm still going with all het...
            sigpic
            Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
            Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
              So...gay people aren't cute, artistic, don't love their families, and they're not really nice people?
              Sometimes they're not, same as the straight side of town.

I know you didn't say that directly, however, it can be inferred from what you did say.
              Nitpicker...

I honestly could mostly care less--just don't want it to be Lorne 'cause the man's a personal crush and because it would be so stereotypical.
              Eh... ...stereotypical maybe due to how he was written as a character but that's wholy TPTB's fault then.

So, basically if the character were gay he couldn't possibly be your personal crush - because he's gay?

Might even be pretty hot to watch him kiss another guy!
              *dies of the hotness*

O_o Stereotypical? I don't follow your logic on that one in the least.
              I think she means stereotypical as he's an artist, fleamarket-visiting, cute guy. *shrug*

Originally posted by blazingfire View Post
              He's def. not stereotypical. He doesn't talk with a lisp, doesn't wear drag, doesn't act flamboyantly, etc...
              @ the visual

And if it was that easy to spot on the show, there'd be no need for this thread to be a question.
              The problem, however, is that it's exactly that.... Any (American) show I've seen, that I know has to explicitely point it out that their characters are gay cause as far as I can tell characters in (American) shows are straight until proven gay. Very sad point, I might add.

So, how do you tell if someone's gay?
              I wouldn't know - and my gaydar is absolutely broken, which is annoying cause it would easily prevent me from crushing on the wrong person.

And for that matter, who cares unless you want to date them?
              Unfortunately a lot of people care... and they aren't thinking about dating.

Mind, I'm still going with all het...
              Stereotypically Stargate
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

LOL! Y'all win. I'm out. Am not saying anything more that can be dissected for hidden meanings. I hope. **goes off to write fan fic and suck thumb--after dipping it in vodka**
                sigpic

Comment

LOL! Y'all win. I'm out.
                  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! *hangs on Whytewytch's leg* Don't leave...

Am not saying anything more that can be dissected for hidden meanings. I hope.
                  There are hidden meanings in everything, and when it comes to this particular topic I think people are just trying to figure out what the person behind the post really means keeping in mind that everything gay is sort of a topic that has to be handled with care. It could be considered politically laden maybe... a sensitive topic to say the least.

But what do I know anyway, that's just a theory on my part.

Hell, I've seen threads being closed down over this kind of topic because people took offence to the notion of gay characters.

**goes off to write fan fic and suck thumb--after dipping it in vodka**
                  Oh, that's where you get your inspiration from...

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! *hangs on Whytewytch's leg* Don't leave...
                    **pats Falcon Horus on head** Unfortunately, work calls, but I'll be back.

There are hidden meanings in everything, and when it comes to this particular topic I think people are just trying to figure out what the person behind the post really means keeping in mind that everything gay is sort of a topic that has to be handled with care. It could be considered politically laden maybe... a sensitive topic to say the least.

But what do I know anyway, that's just a theory on my part.

Hell, I've seen threads being closed down over this kind of topic because people took offence to the notion of gay characters.
                    Me, too. That's why I was hesitant to even reply here. HUGE nastiness that took me away from another board, with people being totally rude to one another. It was very disconcerting to read and added to my stress. I come to these places for stress relief...

Originally Posted by Whytewytch
                    **goes off to write fan fic and suck thumb--after dipping it in vodka**
                    Oh, that's where you get your inspiration from...
                    Yup, me and Edgar Allan Poe! LOL
                    sigpic

Comment

Sometimes they're not, same as the straight side of town.
                      Oh, I know...but whats-e-whoz-it was making a sweeping generalization...just pointing it out....

Nitpicker...
                      Hush...before I send the fleas of 1,000 camels to infest your arm pits!

Eh... ...stereotypical maybe due to how he was written as a character but that's wholy TPTB's fault then.

So, basically if the character were gay he couldn't possibly be your personal crush - because he's gay?
                      Personally...his masculinity is what makes him attractive. I am a gay male...I don't want a guy who's like a woman. I want a man who's like a man.

I think she means stereotypical as he's an artist, fleamarket-visiting, cute guy. *shrug*
                      Yeah...I got that. But if he were stereotypical...he'd be flamming, have a lisp, 20 cats, a one night stand every episode of the show, and fabulously decorated quarters.
                      sigpic

Comment

All of this conjecture doesn't matter because...

Lorne is gay!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Hush...before I send the fleas of 1,000 camels to infest your arm pits!

*ducktapes mouth* ... Or should that be my fingers?

Personally...his masculinity is what makes him attractive. I am a gay male...I don't want a guy who's like a woman. I want a man who's like a man.
                          Mmm... good point.

But if he were stereotypical...he'd be flamming, have a lisp, 20 cats, a one night stand every episode of the show, and fabulously decorated quarters.
                          Well, he might have fabulously decorated quarters.

All of this conjecture doesn't matter because...

Lorne is gay!!!
                          How I missed those letters popping up over my screen... *cuddles the rainbow*

Comment

Just a little fairy dust......and we have fabulously decorated quarters!
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh, I know...but whats-e-whoz-it was making a sweeping generalization...just pointing it out....

whats-e-whoz-it apologizes for making sweeping generalizations, particularly since she was trying to point out that those generalizations are what lead people to make assumptions, correctly or not. And yes, his masculinity is what makes him attractive--to both sexes.

BTW, I've discovered I'm psychic--I had a feeling that I would inadvertently annoy someone, somehow if I posted to this thread. Somehow I got in trouble for trying to not pre-judge the characters. Lt. Col, I hereby officially apologize to you and withdraw any and all comments you found to be offensive.
                              sigpic

Comment

*ducktapes mouth* ... Or should that be my fingers?

Mmm... good point.

Well, he might have fabulously decorated quarters.

How I missed those letters popping up over my screen... *cuddles the rainbow*
                                Taste the rainbow.
                                If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                                Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                                If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                                Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Working...
                                X