This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
    Sorry, but I have better things to do with my money that placing bets on a thing I don't give a damn just in case it might someday help give me little bits of something I like. I could as well just send them money directly.

Anyway, what's their incentive of producing more SGA if SGU works fine? They'll just make more SGU, or create yet another Stargate Something new baby.
    What's the incentive to produce more SGA if SGU works fine? Answer my question and you may answer your own: Is Stargate just a bunch of disconnected shows and movies, or a unified franchise from which MGM hopes to extract more money?

Besides, don't act like giving SGU a shot requires more of an investment out of you than keeping your existing cable service and taking one hour out of your night to watch it. That's so laughably minor that I wonder if you're just exaggerating to make a point.
    Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Any regular viewer of the show who isnt a FANBOY like myself would of seen this coming a mile away, the recent seasons and storylines have been seriously lacking with huge plot holes, predictable character responses and rehashed or stolen storylines from other sci-fi shows. Week in week out its the same old crap again and again:

1) Mckay bit*hes a lot and solves an impossible problem with a few "Oh No's" thrown in for 'suspense'... oh and a few disses towards zelenka
      2) Ronan grunts/shouts/broods/shoots someone - you get the idea
      3) Sheppard saves the day by either pressing the button, or shooting the target or driving the jumper or something else predicable.

The others characters have also become painfully boring to watch because of poor writing.
      4) Teyla - whats she still doing with the team? She hasnt fought or negotiated with pheasents for ages. Shes become the counsellor troi of stargate, always stating the bleeding obvious!
      5) Zelenka - His job on atlantis is to get sh*t talked to by Mckay. Hes shown as incompetent, has he ever fixed anything?
      6) Keller is a whiny coward

Even the bad guys have become victims of poor writing:

Wraith have become lame and non-scary - mainly due to sheppard and his non-funny sarcy comments. Replicators are dead. New flying monkeys however may pose a threat, were still waiting on that one

Seasons 4 and 5 are a perfect example of all of the above. I suppose the only positive i would say about season 5 is the introduction of woolsey but even that has been amateurishly done.
      Where was the character progression, everytime we've seen him in stargate hes been a cowardly wimp like keller, then suddenly in the episode 'Ghost In The Machine' he grows a pair of cajones and calls the replicator bluff.

Dont get me wrong, i loved season 1-3 but after that, the show just went downhill. It had great potential with a rich universe to explore but alas the writing was crap. I mean we all heard rumours of atlantis being cancelled before today.

I can't say that im looking completely forward to the atlantis movies either going by how useless ark of truth and continuum were. However there is still hope and I hope they listen to everyones criticisms and churn out some good atlantis movies giving the show a good sending off.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
        The beginning of the end was Carson's death via exploding tumour (I mean really...) and the straw that broke the camel's back? The absolutely appalling treatment of Weir. It's like certain people have it in for the character. I mean, how many times can you kill a character?
        » I'm with alyssa. The death of Carson pretty much had SGA shot to hell, and the loss of Weir was the killing bullet.

» Like others, I'm more upset at SGA's wasted potential than the fact that it's (finally) cancelled.

Comment

Stargate TV shows seem to have an Old Yeller type of ending: starts off good, then bad things happen. In the end, the only solution is to put it down for good.
          Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Since the untimely cancellation of "Firefly" and the subsequent "Serenity" movie, it seems to me this movie thing is the new trend for sci-fi shows.

Granted, SG-1 cancellation was kind of a surprise, so the movies were meant to tie loose ends. But in Atlantis they knew. So, why "end" the show when you plan to make movies about it. Let's face it: "Serenity" made it to the big screen, but SG-1 and Atlantis are made-for-DVD movies. Like two-part TV episodes. So, what's the logic in that ?

And after TPTB callous treatment of their main cast, I'm glad the show is ending too.

Comment

I get tired of people always complaining about people dying (although they could have treated the cast a bit better it seems). Personally I think the season finale (ormaybe the two hour movie) would be great if maybe Ronan (a pretty uninteresting character on the whole) died and Teyla retired from the team, and some closure was brought to the SG-A universe.
              "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
              "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan View Post
                What's the incentive to produce more SGA if SGU works fine? Answer my question and you may answer your own: Is Stargate just a bunch of disconnected shows and movies, or a unified franchise from which MGM hopes to extract more money?
                Obviously, a bunch of disconnected shows from which MGM hopes to extract more money. SGU being the successor of SGA, they won't make much of it once SGU is launched. It would be like going backwards.

Besides, don't act like giving SGU a shot requires more of an investment out of you than keeping your existing cable service and taking one hour out of your night to watch it. That's so laughably minor that I wonder if you're just exaggerating to make a point.
                I do not have a TV nor the cable. I go to a friend to watch SGA, and I buy the DVDs when they become available.

As I already said, I might, or might not, watch SGU pilot when it airs: It will all depend on the circumstances. I will certainly stay on the GateWorld forums and have a look at spoilers. But unless wraith play an important role or Todd enters the main cast, I highly doubt I'll find my interest there. Different show, different fan base, how hard is that to understand? I wish them the best, I just, absolutely, don't care.

Originally posted by A_PophisandhisFran View Post
                Personally I think the season finale (ormaybe the two hour movie) would be great if maybe Ronan (a pretty uninteresting character on the whole) died and Teyla retired from the team, and some closure was brought to the SG-A universe.
                It won't happen. You'll just get a series stopping mid-way on a huge cliffhanger, which might, if we're lucky, get resolved in a future film.
                Last edited by Laura Dove; 21 August 2008, 12:00 PM.
                My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                sigpic

Comment

Why not see this as an opportunity to enjoy 3 different types of Stargate shows?

The cancellation of SGA probably means they will be coming out with Stargate Universe. We'll still have both SG1 and SGA in movie format. What's wrong with that? We'll still have all three 'series' to keep us going.

Everyone knew it was a possibility that SGA was going to get canceled after this season. Joe Mallozzi's been saying it forever now.

Jason Momoa has said he didn't know how long he wanted to continue playing Ronon; Joe Flanigan said in an interview that he didn't know how long he would want to play John Sheppard; David Hewlett, Rachel Luttrel, and Jason Momoa are all new parents. Why not allow them to get on with their lives?

This isn't always all about the fans. Think about how this opens the actors and actresses to pursue other interests now. Sure, they are probably sad that they won't be seeing each other every day and only filming movies, but think about how relieved they must be to have free time to spend with their families, or move on to other projects.

I'm just saying that we should maybe consider looking on the positive side of things - not just for the fans, but for the actors/actresses as well.

Comment

You make an excellent point. Thanks for some perspective.
                    || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by sinfuldraconis View Post
                      Why not see this as an opportunity to enjoy 3 different types of Stargate shows?

The cancellation of SGA probably means they will be coming out with Stargate Universe. We'll still have both SG1 and SGA in movie format. What's wrong with that? We'll still have all three 'series' to keep us going.

Everyone knew it was a possibility that SGA was going to get canceled after this season. Joe Mallozzi's been saying it forever now.

Jason Momoa has said he didn't know how long he wanted to continue playing Ronon; Joe Flanigan said in an interview that he didn't know how long he would want to play John Sheppard; David Hewlett, Rachel Luttrel, and Jason Momoa are all new parents. Why not allow them to get on with their lives?

This isn't always all about the fans. Think about how this opens the actors and actresses to pursue other interests now. Sure, they are probably sad that they won't be seeing each other every day and only filming movies, but think about how relieved they must be to have free time to spend with their families, or move on to other projects.

I'm just saying that we should maybe consider looking on the positive side of things - not just for the fans, but for the actors/actresses as well.
                      the problem's the reason Atlantis was cancelled. the ratings and production cost had nothing to do with this. MGM wanted to produce SGU so they decided to sacrifice a perfectly healthy show with a huge fanbase
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

True, I'm not going to go bent on a Save-Atlantis campaign, it's just a shock considering how well season 5 has been doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                          the problem's the reason Atlantis was cancelled. the ratings and production cost had nothing to do with this. MGM wanted to produce SGU so they decided to sacrifice a perfectly healthy show with a huge fanbase
                          I guess that's the difference between you and I. I'd rather the show go out on a high note than have them just fade away into obscurity.

Even Brad Wright said at the Comic-Con panels that something would be happening soon with everything. This has obviously been a conversation for awhile now, so there's nothing that's going to change MGM or SciFi's mind. Because of that, I just think people should try and see the positive side of things.

Comment

I also try to see the positive. I was just hoping for Season 6 - with Jason and Joe F and the whole gang. So, I'm bummed.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                            O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

I guess that's the difference between you and I. I'd rather the show go out on a high note than have them just fade away into obscurity.
                              so do I

Even Brad Wright said at the Comic-Con panels that something would be happening soon with everything. This has obviously been a conversation for awhile now, so there's nothing that's going to change MGM or SciFi's mind. Because of that, I just think people should try and see the positive side of things.
                              agreed but it still sucks!
                              sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                                so do I

agreed but it still sucks!
                                Yeah it does suck indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X