This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
    I will never understand why they cancelled SGA... after reading RC and BW interview it seems to boil down to them becoming bored with it.. it had nothing to do with the show not doing well or not earning enough money they just wanted to do something else. They wrongley assumed that everyone would be quite happy to accept another show and become as enthusiastic as they are.

How wrong could they be. I find it quite amazing they they didnt realise that SGA fans would be upset.. because they had become so jaded with their own work they assumed the audience would be the same and gladly accept anything that was to replace it. .. they are so out of touch with SGA fans that it's pretty sad.. . and reading about what they intend for SGU they also seemt totally out of touch with the Stargate Fandom in general.. how can you produce a scifi show for 15 years and then admit you're not keen on the scfi elememts, and there are people out there who don't watch because of the prostethics etc.. huh !!! what about all the people ie your existing audience who DO tune in because of the aliens and prostethics etc..and have been for the last 15 years.

Why do they think that scifi and Stargate fans would want to tune in if they're removing all the elements that make it scifi and Stargate... if they have become so tired of scifi and want to make something totally different .. stop trying to sell it as STARGATE... SGU is nothing like Stargate.. they have taken all the wonderous elements away.. they are creating a drama in space that mirrors a myriad of different shows out there.... why on earth do they think mainstream fans or fans of all these other shows would want to tune into ANOTHER drama but based on a ship.. how will SGU stand out amongst all the similiar shows out there....

I guess they want to draw in reality show fans... BSG fans .. shows like the shield.. but what about the stargate fans.. why should we tune into something that bares no resemblance to what drew us to the franchise... how can you serve up apple pie made of rasberries and still insist its like apple pie.... I couldnt care less about realism or how the characters react to their surroundings .. again there are dozens of OTHER shows I could tune into if I wanted this... I want escapism.. I want larger than life heros...I want aliens such as the wraith and the Go'uld.. that IS WHY I tuned into Stargate and not the Shield....

Stargate appealed to so many because it was different and entertaining and always had wonderful characters.... the fans have screamed for years to see these charcters recieve more attention and be given a little more depth.. they could have remained wonderful larger than life heros but with a bit more depth and emotion, but our pleas fell on deaf ears.. we asked for a little more realism and more dedication to character development but again it was ignored.... now suddenly instead of incorporating their ideas and changes into SGA they tossed it aside and want to change the franchise beyond recognition.. because they have become bored with the scifi elements...they made no attempt to implement any changes into SGA which could have solved some of the issues they have brought up... but were intent on doing something totally different.. and now they are amazed why so many fans have no interest in their new show.... it's not Stargate.. that's why...

They had an amazing talented cast in SGA, and perfect for the stargate franchise.. they had their dashing hero, their genius with a great sense of humour, the beautiful exotic alien and a wonderful cast of supporting characters... but they lost interest in them... and in what SGA represented and didnt really give any consideration to the fans or how they would react.. Their arrogance that we would glady accept any incarnation of "stargate" and be happy to get our fix, astounded me... they were only thinking of themselves and not the millions of fans who actually loved the show... they gave no thought to the fans of SGA... and yet expect us to follow this new show.

If SGU had anything in it that interested me I would have given it a chance.. but it's so far removed from what drew me to Stargate that I have no interest whatsoever in watching it.. and from what I've seen and heard so far it embodies everything I dislike about TV.... I'm not interested in ordinary people and their reactions to their environment.. I can step outside my front door for that.. I am not interested in who likes whom .. for this the characters would actually have to appeal to me and none of them do...

So its pretty sad that the ptb couldnt be bothered to put more effort into the show that did in fact embody the Stargate franchise and were so willing to toss it aside to make something that makes THEM happy.. maybe they will find their audience... and a lot more will be interested in this reality type of show.. but its not for me.. SGA was special and a dying breed.. it left me feeling good and I enjoyed my hour of escapism and drooling over the hot guy..

if I want realism and dark and gritty and relationships I'm surrrounded by that on a daily basis and as for appealing to a younger audience... not so sure about that . I have 3 teenagers.. 2 of which adored SGA... loved it BECAUSE of its advernture, aliens and um..good looking guys.. but they are not the slightest bit interested in SGU...
    Well said, in total agreement with you.
    Atlantis Rocks

sigpic SGA the right people in the right place

Comment

I will never understand why they cancelled SGA... after reading RC and BW interview it seems to boil down to them becoming bored with it.. it had nothing to do with the show not doing well or not earning enough money they just wanted to do something else. They wrongley assumed that everyone would be quite happy to accept another show and become as enthusiastic as they are.

How wrong could they be. I find it quite amazing they they didnt realise that SGA fans would be upset.. because they had become so jaded with their own work they assumed the audience would be the same and gladly accept anything that was to replace it. .. they are so out of touch with SGA fans that it's pretty sad.. . and reading about what they intend for SGU they also seemt totally out of touch with the Stargate Fandom in general.. how can you produce a scifi show for 15 years and then admit you're not keen on the scfi elememts, and there are people out there who don't watch because of the prostethics etc.. huh !!! what about all the people ie your existing audience who DO tune in because of the aliens and prostethics etc..and have been for the last 15 years.
      Why do they think that scifi and Stargate fans would want to tune in if they're removing all the elements that make it scifi and Stargate... if they have become so tired of scifi and want to make something totally different .. stop trying to sell it as STARGATE... SGU is nothing like Stargate.. they have taken all the wonderous elements away.. they are creating a drama in space that mirrors a myriad of different shows out there.... why on earth do they think mainstream fans or fans of all these other shows would want to tune into ANOTHER drama but based on a ship.. how will SGU stand out amongst all the similiar shows out there....
      I guess they want to draw in reality show fans... BSG fans .. shows like the shield.. but what about the stargate fans.. why should we tune into something that bares no resemblance to what drew us to the franchise... how can you serve up apple pie made of rasberries and still insist its like apple pie.... I couldnt care less about realism or how the characters react to their surroundings .. again there are dozens of OTHER shows I could tune into if I wanted this... I want escapism.. I want larger than life heros...I want aliens such as the wraith and the Go'uld.. that IS WHY I tuned into Stargate and not the Shield....

Stargate appealed to so many because it was different and entertaining and always had wonderful characters.... the fans have screamed for years to see these charcters recieve more attention and be given a little more depth.. they could have remained wonderful larger than life heros but with a bit more depth and emotion, but our pleas fell on deaf ears.. we asked for a little more realism and more dedication to character development but again it was ignored.... now suddenly instead of incorporating their ideas and changes into SGA they tossed it aside and want to change the franchise beyond recognition.. because they have become bored with the scifi elements...they made no attempt to implement any changes into SGA which could have solved some of the issues they have brought up... but were intent on doing something totally different.. and now they are amazed why so many fans have no interest in their new show.... it's not Stargate.. that's why...
      They had an amazing talented cast in SGA, and perfect for the stargate franchise.. they had their dashing hero, their genius with a great sense of humour, the beautiful exotic alien and a wonderful cast of supporting characters... but they lost interest in them... and in what SGA represented and didnt really give any consideration to the fans or how they would react.. Their arrogance that we would glady accept any incarnation of "stargate" and be happy to get our fix, astounded me... they were only thinking of themselves and not the millions of fans who actually loved the show... they gave no thought to the fans of SGA... and yet expect us to follow this new show.

If SGU had anything in it that interested me I would have given it a chance.. but it's so far removed from what drew me to Stargate that I have no interest whatsoever in watching it.. and from what I've seen and heard so far it embodies everything I dislike about TV.... I'm not interested in ordinary people and their reactions to their environment.. I can step outside my front door for that.. I am not interested in who likes whom .. for this the characters would actually have to appeal to me and none of them do...

So its pretty sad that the ptb couldnt be bothered to put more effort into the show that did in fact embody the Stargate franchise and were so willing to toss it aside to make something that makes THEM happy.. maybe they will find their audience... and a lot more will be interested in this reality type of show.. but its not for me.. SGA was special and a dying breed.. it left me feeling good and I enjoyed my hour of escapism and drooling over the hot guy..

if I want realism and dark and gritty and relationships I'm surrrounded by that on a daily basis and as for appealing to a younger audience... not so sure about that . I have 3 teenagers.. 2 of which adored SGA... loved it BECAUSE of its advernture, aliens and um..good looking guys.. but they are not the slightest bit interested in SGU...
      hi blue alien.
      I share what you said.
      As you said how these people can claim they make sci-fi show for 15 years when they claim they dislike it.
      You're right they attempt to make a reality show in space on space ship telling some conflicting stories in a microcosm of society in earth.
      I understand they use some flashbacks method to tell stories about character's flaw full, weakness and from their background on earth like in LOST show.
      I quote this again.
      RC: ... People who are not mythological archetypes but rather flawed human beings who are going to interact in the way that a microcosm of society will interact in that situation.

You look at a show like Survivor, where you take a bunch of people and put them on an island, and how they act, and the best and worst of them comes out. That's something we want to try and reflect on the show. Nobody is going to be a perfect hero and nobody is going to be a perfect villain, either.
      RC: ...but they have flawed aspects to their personal lives which makes them more realistic.
      I understand the TPTB were bored by sci-fi show aspect and old fashion show so they create a show very different from theses aspects so far away from the Stargate franchise concept copying others shows, copying their ideas and, according to them near of reality shows. They compare it to Survivor.
      so they create a show putting aside all what made Stargate success, heroes with weakness, humor, actions, encounters with aliens, adventures and the great SGA cast developing their characters in depth.
      So where is the creativity, the fresh ideas?
      I think we can believe the actress who got a part in "Pulling" part describing the show as a teen show. See below the quote I made about the plot of this ep. It's an indication. I find extraordinary the only news we got confirm our worries. Some tell SGU will not like this. It would be one plot. It's odd. It will be the only plot that confirms this, It would be an exception. It's a curious coincidence. A straw of bad luck we fall on the only plot that demonstrates our worries.
      If you listened the SGU fans the rest of the show will be totally different but we fall on it.
      By the way, no offense, how can we be became fans of SGU show without knowing and seeing nothing about it.
      I'm not the one who will follow a show without tasting it and making my opinion.
      But I'm so tired by them TPTB’s conflicting declarations.

I don't think JM/PM and MG was tired by SGA. So why the TPTB didn't let them to manage the show, developing characters in depth, characters that fans want to know better.
      In fact SGU will be, according to TPTB the RL aspect with its conflict but located in space.
      So they must sell it under another title. It's not anymore a Stargate show. They keep Stargate name in it to keep simply the Stargate audience. I think the audience doesn't expect for it and will be disappointed.
      Once again, I don't blame them to want to create another show but don't they take us as stupid.
      Change the name and I could believe you again when I currently think you try to deceive us again.
      Last edited by domdom; 01 May 2009, 04:25 AM.

Made by Csom
      Petition http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/SaveSGA
      visit campaign site http://www.wix.com/SaveSGA/Campaign for 6th season.
      Save Atlantis forum http://forum.saveatlantis.com/
      SCI-FI thread save stargate Atlantishttp://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showtopic=2319230

LONG LIVE ATLANTIS

Comment

Link to an interesting essay on SGA and SGU, touching on some aspects you have brought up in this thread:
        http://community.livejournal.com/swirlygate/6359.html

Comment

Originally posted by Lucylee View Post
          Link to an interesting essay on SGA and SGU, touching on some aspects you have brought up in this thread:
          Thanks for the link... that was very interesting..
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the link. very interesting and good light on the producers and their lack of respect toward us.
            I particularly appreciate these:
            Spoiler:

Thus, key players in the creative teams of the Franchise informed the base audience (35+ women) that they were not the franchise’ target audience (18-30 men)[11], and openly admitting to cancelling Atlantis partially for the increase in revenue that fans would spend on purchasing the movie sequels, alienating their actual audience and earning scathing condemnation for their lack of respect and business sense from the fans. Fan libsechumanist wonders how the producers could be “tone deaf to where [their] money's been coming from all these years
            ....In revealing that the actual audience was not the audience they wanted,...
            ....the fans will still watch because they are slavishly devoted. This insults fan’s intelligence and ability to discern between their own preferences. Worse still, answers to fan’s questions were short, unusually curt, and in some cases insulting, prompting fan reactions....
            Lastly, in casting younger actors into ‘90210’, the producers are telling the core base of fans that their viewership is no longer treasured, that the target viewership is paramount to what the fans consider is staying true to the franchise’s universal truths. In short, that the older generation of audience is no longer welcome (and neither, unfortunately, is their disposable income).

When I think I bring all my support for 15 years for all this respect.

Made by Csom
            SCI-FI thread save stargate Atlantishttp://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showtopic=2319230

LONG LIVE ATLANTIS

Comment

"They Say" " A picture is worth a thousand words" I would have to agree, and here is one that does the job!

Want More Atlantis? Call MGM 310-449-3000 Ask for Jeff Pryor or Charles E. Cohen
              Click banner to go to site!

Comment

Thanks this was a good link, an interesting read.
                Atlantis Rocks

Comment

LOL scifinut!! I LOVE THAT!
                  "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                  sigpic
                  Sig by ME!!!

Comment

"Shanks also recently spoke to SCI FI Wire about Stargate Universe, and his role within it.

“There are some darker elements to it. It’s visually stunning.” Shanks said. And I really look forward not only to seeing it [completed, with finished visual effects], but also the audience’s reaction to it. It’s not your father’s Stargate. It’s a very different kind of show. ‘It won’t be quiet on the bulletin boards’ is the best way to put it.”

Shanks also confirmed that fans looking for Daniel Jackson to have an expansive role in the pilot for Universe are going to be disappointed.

“It’s a cameo. It’s a popping in, popping out kind of thing,” he said. “They’ve got a lot of cast that they definitely need to facilitate. Certainly the Stargate audience knows my character and Richard’s character and Amanda’s character and the others that show up very well. So they have to spend some time developing their world and fleshing out their characters. So I’m just a face.”

Just been browsing an came across this little gem!!!! This time words do really fail me!!!!!!

I dont even want to begin to think, what he means about "its not your fathers Stargate"
                    Attached Files
                    Atlantis Rocks

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis Rocks View Post
                      "Shanks also recently spoke to SCI FI Wire about Stargate Universe, and his role within it.

“There are some darker elements to it. It’s visually stunning.” Shanks said. And I really look forward not only to seeing it [completed, with finished visual effects], but also the audience’s reaction to it. It’s not your father’s Stargate. It’s a very different kind of show. ‘It won’t be quiet on the bulletin boards’ is the best way to put it.”

Shanks also confirmed that fans looking for Daniel Jackson to have an expansive role in the pilot for Universe are going to be disappointed.

“It’s a cameo. It’s a popping in, popping out kind of thing,” he said. “They’ve got a lot of cast that they definitely need to facilitate. Certainly the Stargate audience knows my character and Richard’s character and Amanda’s character and the others that show up very well. So they have to spend some time developing their world and fleshing out their characters. So I’m just a face.”

Just been browsing an came across this little gem!!!! This time words do really fail me!!!!!!

I dont even want to begin to think, what he means about "its not your fathers Stargate"
                      It couldnt be my fathers stargate as hes never watched it!

There realy getting some of the writters (Gero) and Sg1 actors to start hyping this up. ive not seen any of the main sga cast do the same yet. How awfull would that be for them to have to hype up the show that caused them to loose there job? it must happen all over the industry there in but stargate was always portrayed as a family affair i thought it would be different there

Found a new show i love the 'Mentalist' apparently according to my online buddies the main actor in that did another series which im gonna go and investigate, so long stargate franchise ill se you around for the movie should it happen.
                      sigpic
                      banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
                        It couldnt be my fathers stargate as hes never watched it!

There realy getting some of the writters (Gero) and Sg1 actors to start hyping this up. ive not seen any of the main sga cast do the same yet. How awfull would that be for them to have to hype up the show that caused them to loose there job? it must happen all over the industry there in but stargate was always portrayed as a family affair i thought it would be different there

Found a new show i love the 'Mentalist' apparently according to my online buddies the main actor in that did another series which im gonna go and investigate, so long stargate franchise ill se you around for the movie should it happen.
                        I really don't think the ptb would dare approach the SGA cast to hype this up.. that would just be wrong..

I don't know about it not being like our fathers Stargate.. from what I've seen and heard so far it won't be like any Stargate.. so why even call it Stargate...

The ptb seem intent on making SGU so realistic that is will just end up being like all the other realistic programmes out there..they seem to be trying to tick the "in things" they think the audience want to see.. dark, gritty, suicides, lesbian relationships, who falls for whom... people freaking out. wild panic .. all those kind of emotions we can tune into on pretty much a dozen shows out there.. but they seem to think this is new.

I think they are going to try and impress everyone with their shock value tactics... look how many people we are killing..look how serious we are about looking into all kinds of relationships.. hey isnt this so much more realistic ... maybe it is... but is it entertaining... is it why Stargate fans tuned in for 15 years.. does it bear any resemblance to what Stargate fans loved about the franchise....... why do they think Stargate fans would be interested in something that is so different to what they enjoyed about the previous shows.... they seem to have forgotten that many fans tuned in to see all the things they have now taken away..

They also forget that it's the characters that make the difference and unless you can connect to the characters everything else pails in significance.... and for me they have failed to cast anyone that seems a larger than life character, that has that star quality to carry a show like this.... SG1 had RDA, MS and AT.. and many others and SGA had JF, DH RL and Jason.. they were all larger than life characters and this is what Stargate is about, not the trials and tribulations of a bunch of ordinary folks brought together by circumstances....how mundane..
                        sigpic

Comment

I really don't think the ptb would dare approach the SGA cast to hype this up.. that would just be wrong..

I don't know about it not being like our fathers Stargate.. from what I've seen and heard so far it won't be like any Stargate.. so why even call it Stargate...

The ptb seem intent on making SGU so realistic that is will just end up being like all the other realistic programmes out there..they seem to be trying to tick the "in things" they think the audience want to see.. dark, gritty, suicides, lesbian relationships, who falls for whom... people freaking out. wild panic .. all those kind of emotions we can tune into on pretty much a dozen shows out there.. but they seem to think this is new.

I think they are going to try and impress everyone with their shock value tactics... look how many people we are killing..look how serious we are about looking into all kinds of relationships.. hey isnt this so much more realistic ... maybe it is... but is it entertaining... is it why Stargate fans tuned in for 15 years.. does it bear any resemblance to what Stargate fans loved about the franchise....... why do they think Stargate fans would be interested in something that is so different to what they enjoyed about the previous shows.... they seem to have forgotten that many fans tuned in to see all the things they have now taken away..

They also forget that it's the characters that make the difference and unless you can connect to the characters everything else pails in significance.... and for me they have failed to cast anyone that seems a larger than life character, that has that star quality to carry a show like this.... SG1 had RDA, MS and AT.. and many others and SGA had JF, DH RL and Jason.. they were all larger than life characters and this is what Stargate is about, not the trials and tribulations of a bunch of ordinary folks brought together by circumstances....how mundane..
                          Have to say, you an I are on the same wave length, everything you just stated is spot on. Its so sad that that they have basically distroyed Stargate for so many people. I'm not against SGU, if some wanted a change then fair play BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF SGA!!!!!!!
                          Atlantis Rocks

Comment

Have to say, you an I are on the same wave length, everything you just stated is spot on. Its so sad that that they have basically distroyed Stargate for so many people. I'm not against SGU, if some wanted a change then fair play BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF SGA!!!!!!!
                            Agreed...I'd probably be excited for SGU if it hadn't pushed SGA out of the way
                            "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                            sigpic
                            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I'm still really ticked off about this, we never really saw what the city could do with a full ZPM count outside of
                              Spoiler:
                              wormwhole drive(I doubt the movie will show this either since the ZPMs were about depleted from my understanding)
                              , we will probably never see what the
                              Spoiler:
                              genii betrayal
                              plot was developing. I mean sure the movie will probably touch on the wraith threat but there's only so much you can do in 2 hours. Its so frustrating that Atlantis was canceled for a BSG knock off.
                              Last edited by Vyse99; 03 May 2009, 11:25 AM.

Comment

I received a big shock on my head when the TPTB canceled SGA for wrong reasons, I mean they didn't tell the real reason that was in first financial reasons, according to them, when now it's obvious the TPTB wanted to create a new show leaving us some crumbs to calm us down as a movie. For reminding, 9 months later we don't have any green light for the movie only some words like sort of wind.
                                I received an another shock when the TPTB claimed they wanted to attract another younger viewers so they didn't interst anymore by their their old viewers. 15 years of loyality rewarded by this behavior toward us. I felt older at this moment.
                                Now with this another declaration I feel older one more time , father's stargate.

It's currently obvious they are creating a new show that is not anymore a stargate show, so cease to try to sell it as stargate show hoping to keep their old fans. The TPTB want to create a show for young viewers but want also their old viewers support it.
                                Not a chance.

Now another big stunt around SGU is this fact, there will be 2 gays in the show. GREAT.
                                It's not what I expect for Stargate show. I don't really care any stories from 2 gays in sci-fi show. For crying out loud, I want a SCI-FI show not REALITY SHOW showing some real life with their relation problem or sex relations.
                                It would seem the TPTB( RC and BW) knew better than us what we want to watch on sci-fi show.
                                Here an interesting link to understand their conception of their new Stargate show and how they consider us.
                                http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...universe.shtml
                                Last edited by domdom; 06 May 2009, 10:39 AM.

Made by Csom

LONG LIVE ATLANTIS

Comment

Working...
                                X