This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheHomegaMan View Post
    3. Raising such issues as genocide, suicide bombing, sympathetic terrorists, and rigged democracies is not daring, challenging, or thought provoking.
    You want some examples of thought provoking?

1) Who is Apollo going to sleep with in next weeks episode Days of our Galactica
    2) Is X a cylon or isn't he? no I think X is not a cylon.. maybe he is one afterall? There is no way X can be a cylon because blah blah... Well ok he isn't a cylon
    3) Robots becoming "sentient" and trying to attack their oppressors.... Sooo provoking,.... I can't even begin to fathom the depth of this. 1 side (cylons versus the other side humans) ... wow to much to comprehend.... I stand corrected.
    BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Originally posted by TBA View Post
      Right, I've read sooo many times that BSG is better than SGA so now I want to watch BSG . I don't know where to start the series though, there were a couple of movies I think and some cheesy 80's series - where to begin for a good understanding of the series?
      Well the old series andd new series have nothing to do with eachother so start at the beginning of the new one with the pilot mini series.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Bsg is based on shock reveals, so theres zero rewatchability.

Its just a remake after all. Id watch the original, heck i wouldnt mind buying bsg1980 and watching the motorcycle chases again XD

Comment

ok, my take on this :

since we're comparing the incomparable, why not mention Angel, Lost & Smallville while we're at it ? surely at least some of these shows must be better than SG

BSG is not sci-fi (and iirc by RDM's own admission, was never meant to be)
          Last edited by SoulReaver; 20 July 2008, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Again, BSG does ask more of a viewer than a show like SGA does. The people who'd rather sit down, tune out, and have fun should stick with SGA and avoid discussing that which they have little knowledge about. It isn't about arrogance on my part, it's about having a knowledgeable background to bring to a discussion.
            I like to think that I know what I'm talking about with regards to BSG, considering that I watch it, and - aside from most of season 3 - usually like it, despite the massive flaws I see.

And one of your previous posts pretty much said that Atlantis and its viewers are simplistic and "afraid" of having to think, whereas Galactica is for more intelligent and developed people.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
              BSG is not sci-fi (and iirc by RDM's own admission, was never meant to be)
              Really? Does he classify it as a drama or what? I can't see how a show about the genocide of humans on other planets, space travel, and sentient man-made machines isn't SF, so I'm curious what he thinks.

Comment

I need to watch SGA after BSG, actually. I just...I need to make sure I can still care about a show's characters after watching BSG, you know?

And I can, thankfully, with SGA.

But all snark aside, we've had this thread already. They're just fundamentally different shows, with various strengths and weaknesses. If I want a long-arc, I'd go search some BSG on YouTube. If I want some fun and good humorous moments, I go troll for SGA, simple as that. Even the music is fundamentally different. If I want a good drum beat, I go for BSG; if I want a good melody, I go for SGA. Etc. Etc.
                Last edited by PG15; 20 July 2008, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                  Really? Does he classify it as a drama or what?
                  it's commonly considered sci-fi drama (though tbh I'm not sure he himself spoke that term)
                  basically drama with some sci-fi elements

I can't see how a show about the genocide of humans on other planets, space travel, and sentient man-made machines isn't SF, so I'm curious what he thinks.
                  let's see...no shields, no energy-weapons (good ole bullets & missiles, hey we can do that too -), medical science hardly ahead of our own, if at all (can't even cure cancer ?) - yeah that just screams sci-fi

oh and we've got space-travel too (only without the FTL -)
                  the apparent lack of technological progress doesn't help either, if anything their technology has taken a downward turn over the past millenia (didn't the folks back on Kobol have some sort of advanced ST-style holodeck tech ?)

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                    But all snark aside, we've had this thread already. They're just fundamentally different shows, with various strengths and weaknesses. If I want a long-arc, I'd go search some BSG on YouTube. If I want some fun and good humorous moments, I got troll for SGA, simple as that. Even the music is fundamentally different. If I want a good drum beat, I go for BSG; if I want a good melody, I go for SGA. Etc. Etc.
                    exactamundo

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      I need to watch SGA after BSG, actually. I just...I need to make sure I can still care about a show's characters after watching BSG, you know?

And I can, thankfully, with SGA.

But all snark aside, we've had this thread already. They're just fundamentally different shows, with various strengths and weaknesses. If I want a long-arc, I'd go search some BSG on YouTube. If I want some fun and good humorous moments, I go troll for SGA, simple as that. Even the music is fundamentally different. If I want a good drum beat, I go for BSG; if I want a good melody, I go for SGA. Etc. Etc.
                      Bingo. My remarks here are more for the people of Bytor's type, who seem intent on creating a strawman of the show to knock down. People who think (and I use this term rather loosely) along his lines are the ones who are simplistic. Those who can recognize that there's a time and a place for each show are in the strongest position.
                      Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Bingo. My remarks here are more for the people of Bytor's type, who seem intent on creating a strawman of the show to knock down. People who think (and I use this term rather loosely) along his lines are the ones who are simplistic. Those who can recognize that there's a time and a place for each show are in the strongest position.
                        There is definitely a time and Place for BSG.

1pm afternoon weekdays following Days of our Lives on The Soap Network.
                        BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                          There is definitely a time and Place for BSG.

1pm afternoon weekdays following Days of our Lives on The Soap Network.
                          looks like you hate BSG as much as I hate SGA
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                            looks like you hate BSG as much as I hate SGA
                            lol i guess so. What made me even more mad is that I really wanted to like the show, I thought it was going to be DARK and AWESOME. -- I wasted money on the mini-series and everything.

man was I wrong.
                            BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                              You want some examples of thought provoking?

1) Who is Apollo going to sleep with in next weeks episode Days of our Galactica
                              2) Is X a cylon or isn't he? no I think X is not a cylon.. maybe he is one afterall? There is no way X can be a cylon because blah blah... Well ok he isn't a cylon
                              3) Robots becoming "sentient" and trying to attack their oppressors.... Sooo provoking,.... I can't even begin to fathom the depth of this. 1 side (cylons versus the other side humans) ... wow to much to comprehend.... I stand corrected.

Bytor, are you familiar with the concept of a straw man? You don't seem like the type who is, so I'll save you the trip to wikipedia. What you're doing is deliberately distorting the show, then attacking those very distortions. Where most of us are trying to have an adult conversation about one versus the other, you insist on pushing a view based on a warped interpretation of the show. You don't bother to consider thought provoking items and instead focus on who's sleeping with who.

I'll ask you again: please stop chiming in with responses when you can't even be bothered to do simple tasks like placing things in context or considering the big picture. You're either outright uninformed and doing little to change that fact, or you're just another run of the mill troll. Neither one has a place around here.
                              Last edited by TheHomegaMan; 20 July 2008, 11:55 AM. Reason: Guess it wasn't a double post after all...
                              Forum insight in 1 click!

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                                it's commonly considered sci-fi drama (though tbh I'm not sure he himself spoke that term)
                                basically drama with some sci-fi elements
                                This kind of attitude damages science fiction, I think. a SF show can be respectable enough on its own without trynig to hide its SF elements.
                                Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                                Yes, I am!
                                sigpic
                                Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                                Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                                Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                                X