Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Stargate: Atlantis is cooler than Battlestar Galactica...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qb2tDxySBQ&NR=1
    checkmate

Comment

I'm brand new to Stargate, and I've actually only ever seen one episode of SG-1 all the way through ("200"). But I marathoned all 80 episodes of Atlantis in May, and I'd like to compare it to BSG.

Battlestar Galactica is, as far as critics would tell you, a better show. It's complex, it subverts a lot of science fiction tropes, the characters feel real and messy. Atlantis, on the other hand, plays science fiction more by the book. It doesn't really abandon the roots of Trek-like scifi, even though I think it does try to improve upon them.

I have some issues with Altantis. Character development would be nice. Maybe some actual emotional arcs. Maybe a little more defeat mixed in with the swashbuckling heroism. Have characters carry emotions over from one episode to the next more often. Give Teyla some flaws. Put Sheppard in situations where he actually cracks. Have the Team occasionally disagree with each other for more than 2 minutes. Don't solve everything with made up science all the time. Etc. Stargate writing isn't as good as it could be.

But, all that said, I prefer watching it to watching BSG. I just can't stand watching BSG anymore. Characters change and have actual emotional arcs -- but they do so in ways that are ridiculous and inorganic half the time. And yes, it feels very "real." But it's sometimes so steeped in realism that I think it might be more fun to hit myself in the knee with a hammer than watch their pathetic little lives.

So, even with its flaws, I like Atlantis better. It's fun and entertaining --which is the whole point of television, no? I think the cast is pretty good and make the most of their limited characterization. I think the writers are as good as anybody at plot continuity and they come up with some pretty great ideas. The effects never distract from the story. Atlantis will never get the critical acclaim of BSG, but critical acclaim doesn't always mean something is watchable.

SGA couldn't really turn completely into Farscape because they don't really have the right mix of characters for it with a largely military cast. There's a lot they could learn to emulate from it though. The lack of a reset button, characters who live with and remember past actions and are actually changed by them and not always for the better, villians/adversaries who seem just as deep and flawed and believable as people as the heroes, just either with different sets of morals and/or different agendas that make them foes.
      I don't want to compare SGA to Farscape, because I get annoyed with SGA for not being Farscape (as far as character building). The character reset button is so annoying. Imagine how good Atlantis could be if the characters didn't reset back to their default every single episode? You could be more, SGA.
      Last edited by miniglik; 03 June 2008, 09:24 AM.
      My Livejournal
      I watched all of the first four seasons of SGA last May. Here are my newbie impressions.

Comment

The first two seasons of BSG were amazing. SG-1, SGA, and BSG were all my favorite shows. This past season of BSG especially the last episode have tanked big time, imo. I am not as excited as I used to be. Right now I am more excited with the outcomes for Season 5 of SGA. Heck even BSG's live viewers have fallen below what SGA was recently getting for their last season half. That has to tell you something.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by miniglik View Post
          But, all that said, I prefer watching it to watching BSG. I just can't stand watching BSG anymore. Characters change and have actual emotional arcs -- but they do so in ways that are ridiculous and inorganic half the time. And yes, it feels very "real." But it's sometimes so steeped realism that I think it might be more fun to hit myself in the knee with a hammer than watch their pathetic little lives.

I feel the same
          La vie est une tragédie - Tout le monde meurt à la fin.
          L'Histoire est une comédie - Les gentils gagnent toujours à la fin.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
            The first two seasons of BSG were amazing. SG-1, SGA, and BSG were all my favorite shows. This past season of BSG especially the last episode have tanked big time, imo. I am not as excited as I used to be. Right now I am more excited with the outcomes for Season 5 of SGA. Heck even BSG's live viewers have fallen below what SGA was recently getting for their last season half. That has to tell you something.
            People go out more?

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
              People go out more?
              Which means the show is not appealing as SGA is to people. Or maybe the SGA fans like myself just have no life.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                Which means the show is not appealing as SGA is to people. Or maybe the SGA fans like myself just have no life.
                I did not say it so you cannot report me .

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                  I did not say it so you cannot report me .
                  LOL, well it was a joke, and was making fun of myself. So it should be all good.
                  sigpic

Comment

I do believe it is time for some much needed BSG awesomeness to re-enter this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfJT_DOV0CI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5gdL7zUjVc
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177
                      Great song, but I'm just not feeling it.

Also, from the other clip, how often do we get to see the flippy ships anymore? (At this point I don't know. I finally gave the show up after the fourth season premiere.)
                      My Livejournal
                      I watched all of the first four seasons of SGA last May. Here are my newbie impressions.

Comment

Great song, but I'm just not feeling it.

Also, from the other clip, how often do we get to see the flippy ships anymore? (At this point I don't know. I finally gave the show up after the fourth season premiere.)
                        Flippy Ships? WTH?

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          Flippy Ships? WTH?
                          Vipers. (Ya know, the whole non-atmosphere 360 degree manuevaribility.)
                          My Livejournal

Comment

Vipers. (Ya know, the whole non-atmosphere 360 degree manuevaribility.)
                            Never heard that one. We've seen them once or twice. But the next ep is more likely than not gonna feature a dogfight.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                              Never heard that one. We've seen them once or twice. But the next ep is more likely than not gonna feature a dogfight.
                              ...or a catfight .

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post

Tip of the day: when you can't promote the show on its own merits, turn to tepid fanfiction to lure more people in!
                                SGA has less or little dull soap
                                the FX are much better
                                they have a plan in Atlantis
                                the characters are enjoyable and funny (yes humor)
                                SGA doesn't rip off planet of the apes

Comment

Working...
                                X