Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Stargate: Atlantis is cooler than Battlestar Galactica...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Jack View Post
    To be quite frank: I believe that Battlestar Galactica is a crappy soap opera in space with characters who have very little redeemable qualities and little realism. The Stargate series even on it's worst days is better then Battlestar Galactica on it's best, which relies too heavily on CGI.

However, I wouldn't want to cancel a series that alot of people like just to make room for my own series, kind of selfish don't ya think?
    Do you believe in bad karma ?

Bionic Woman has shutdown and local media reports indicate that the fourth season of Sci Fi Channel's "Battlestar Galactica," which was set to shoot through mid-March, will wrap Friday because it, too, has burned through available scripts
    Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap
    They had to fake the ratings
    They had to fake the ratings.
    Let it be known for all times there were once...

Comment

Originally posted by runnerX View Post
      wow looks like you started a war here. i guess you found a wrong place to put your thread. my advise: don't tell them your real name because i see a lot of angry SGA fans.
      and heres one more i'm not going to get into a war or anything i'm just going to say two word to the guy that posted this thread

YOU ARE CRAZY GOT LOST!!!

ok thats five
      sigpic

now when you wake up like this in the morning you know you've had a good night

Comment

I can't believe {snip} redded me for saying this;

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
        This isn't the wisest way to promote BSG, y'know. I agree that Battlestar Galactica is quite possibly the best show on television, rivalling only now with Doctor Who.

Atlantis has its flaws, lots of lots of flaws, but its been renewed for season 5 so it has another chance to redeem itself. BSG is drawing to a close so that 1) It doesn't drag on and 2) So that it ends on a high.

RDM decided to bring his epic story to a close, so thats what they're doing. I'm happy BSG hasn't been cancelled but sad that after 2009, its over. But look at it this way - RDM is going to move onto other things, right?

Expect more dark, gritty and utterly spectacular shows for the future.
        I mean its just an opinion, right? Just a little harsh.
        Last edited by TameFarrar; 27 November 2007, 10:26 PM.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou
          And I'm not?
          I think what some of us wish is that this post had been made in the BSG folder. Putting it in the general Stargate folder was sure to cause upset posts especially when the title says Cancell SGA.

You are entitled to your opinion but expect others to have theirs.
          "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
          'Eleanor Roosevelt'
          Individuality is freedom lived.
          'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1 View Post
            I think what some of us wish is that this post had been made in the BSG folder. Putting it in the general Stargate folder was sure to cause upset posts especially when the title says Cancell SGA.
            I mentioned that in my post, its not the wisest way to promote either show. But surely I didn't deserve a red because of it?
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
              I mentioned that in my post, its not the wisest way to promote either show. But surely I didn't deserve a red because of it?
              The person who gave you red must have felt pretty strongly about it. I've been given red before for my opinion. I don't let it bother me because it doesn''t really matter to me. This thread begs to be a heated discussion.
              "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
              'Eleanor Roosevelt'
              Individuality is freedom lived.
              'Janis Joplin'

Comment

I've gotter say, BSG would be a lot better if it was more 'shooting cylons' instead of this "oh, am I a cylon, aren't I a cylon," "Oh no, I've run out of bourbon," "Oh, no person x is a cylon." "oh no, i have a hangover." "oh no, i rooted person x' "oh no, i cant fly because I'm on drugs"

Imagine a SG:A episode done by BSG writers / directors:
                -McKay has produced a working wraith detector.
                -McKay discovers that Carter is a wraith.
                -Calldwell is called in to interrogate her, which he does by brutally raping her.
                -Meanwhile, Ronon is having a drunken orgy with Teyla
                -John is also drinking for no apparent reason
                -John discovers that Ronon and Teyla are having a drunken orgy.
                -In furious anger John gets Keller pregnant
                -Wraith darts are detected incoming to the city
                -John is too drunk to fly a jumper and crashes
                -In deep regret, Ronon kills himself
                -And it turns out that kellers baby is also a wraith
                -then there is a sudden "one year later." and the show gets even worse.
                sigpic

Comment

-Calldwell is called in to interrogate her, which he does by brutally raping her.
                  Yep, that seems like a reasonable pattern of infection.

Comment

Originally posted by sg8man View Post
                    It's so satisfying when someone mocks a show by doing this and the mocking actually turns out to be more original than most episodes of SGA.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
                      Man, as I watch this season, I find that Stargate Atlantis to be just as crappy as Season 10 of SG1.

I watched all of Season 1, 2, 3 of BSG, and find myself enjoying every episode. Not one episode made me lose attention from the episode. Plot lines are fluid and theres no plot holes in the storylines.

What about Stargate series?
                      - Plot holes
                      - No fluditiy between episodes
                      - Storyline blows

Even the good storylines like "The Travellers" could have been done much better.

What about Adrift and Lifeline? Good ops episodes, but could have used more action and plot.

It seems to be the same stuff over and over again.

1) Bad problem
                      2) We're screwed
                      3) Op mission, or fight
                      4) Get objective completed
                      5) Friend or someone gets left behind, or something screws up a bit
                      6) The end, problem solved.

I love Stargate. I watched Stargate since Season 2 of SG1, and Season 1 of SGA.

But this is just putrid.

If I had the power, I would definitely give up both stargate series (if SG1 was still airing) for Battlestar Galactica.

I am just vexxed that SGA continues to go, and BSG is gone by 2009.
                      I love SGA you can take your BSG and stay in a small padded room. I lost interest in BSG near the end of the first season, it just started sucking.
                      I am just glad you dont have the power.
                      Here is a suggestion though, if you dont like SGA then stop watching. I love it more then ever so leave my SGA alone, thank you

Comment

I watched that BSG: Razor thing and fell asleep for about twenty minutes. I have never and will never fall asleep watching Atlantis. Its just way more entertaining
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

How about a BSG episode done by SGA's writers.

-Adama and everyone are just chillin' on the bridge when they detect "anomolous energy readings" that are coming from some ooooohhh ahhhhh ancient technology.
                          -They find out the oooohhh ahhhhhh ancient technology is a time machine that will let them go back and fix that whole cylon genocide thing. Adama orders Tigh to fix it so they can do so.
                          -scene with some stupid ass rural villiagers, phrase "my people" is spoken by someone
                          -Tigh whines about fixing the time machine being impossible for 20 minutes while playing counterstrike on his laptop which somehow interfaced just fine with the ancient time machine.
                          -insert some childish toilet/genital humour here
                          -Adama has boring implied offscreen sex with Six, Starbuck, Admiral Cain, D'anna, Roslin, Dee, Callie, Seelix, Kat and Tigh's dead wife
                          -more toilet humor
                          -plothole
                          -additional 1 off guest characters are introduced
                          -Adama has boring implied offscreen sex with them.
                          -galactica fights a cylon ship 100 times its size with a tech advantage and wins because Tigh inverts the phase polarity of the FTL drive sequencers and beams Boomer onto it, who then explodes because she was so depressed Adama didn't have time to have sex with her to
                          -casual endorsment of genocide as being the best and only real way to win a war
                          -Tigh is about to swear because he's Tigh but some nancy little girlscout champion of "family friendly" writing stops him, even though he's about to be eaten by a cylon deathbot. He makes a stupid joke instead
                          -POW torture by the "heroes" presented as being the fault of the POW "Hey he was the one asking for it for being on the wrong side!"
                          -Some more Cylons attack and are mercilessly cut down by P90s
                          -They meet a rambunctiously lovable serial rapist and share a few laughs
                          -The word "advanced" is used for the 200th time in the episode
                          -Tigh finally fixes the time machine, but they can't use it to go back and fix the genocide like was originally said because that would end the show and violate the reset button principle, err I mean "because it only has enough power to make a short jump". They use it instead to go back and stop Adama from spreading space herpes to every sexually mature female in the fleet/galaxy
                          -Producer's names pop up

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                            I have a great idea.....

Keep Stargate Atlantis, let BSG end after the 4th season, and Greenlight Stargate Universe.

Battlstar Razor reviews are in

It's an hour and ten minutes into a two-hour program, and so far, there has been none of the heart-racing, suspenseful, tenterhook moments, or the fascinating character developement that we've all come to expect from this series. It feels like they're trying to throw a bone to all us fans who are impatient for the next season to start. It feels glib and overdone, and a little dumbed-down. They threw in a few scenes here and there with Apollo and Starbuck to make you think you're getting something. Like actual drama and suspense. Alas. Too bad.

Here's hoping the extended version has a little more depth and content
                            As someone who's been completely immersed in the new BSG, it comes as a great disappointment to say that RAZOR was almost a total letdown. Watching this show spiral into self-indulgence (Ron, enough with the messiah and "chosen one" crap already. We had to put up with it on DS9 and it's now being rammed down our throats on BSG) in its third season has been a real bummer. In the first two seasons, BSG was one of THE MOST RELEVANT shows on television in any genre. It forced us to look at ourselves in a time of national crisis and made us ask difficult questions, namely - How far are we willing to go to protect our way of life? Unfortunately, the wacky obsession of one of the show's creators and pressure from the network to crank out stand-alone episodes in season 3 has BSG circling the drain.

**SPOILERS**

All in all, RAZOR is a major disappointment. The plot is both completely contrived and lacks any kind of focus, with a structure that is more than a little fragmented. The plotting is scattershot, with non-revelatory flashbacks to the Pegasus just after the initial Cylon attack intercut with poorly written and realized scenes on the "present day" Galactica and Pegasus.

We're introduced to Kendra, a recently arrived lieutenant on the Pegasus who becomes something of a protégé to Admiral Cane. The flashbacks show Kendra's "trial by fire" in the moments after the attack. Scenes that take place in the "present day" (their choice of words) contain painfully clunky expository dialogue to fill in the blanks. It's a clumsy device that even a novice screenwriter will recognize as more than a little obvious and contrived.

Razor follows Kendra as she watches Cane commit atrocities in the name of keeping the fight going. Then, Kendra slowly begins to fall under Cane's spell and is soon participating in these barbaric acts.

In the "present day", we see Kendra brood over her actions. Did she do the right thing? Was Cane a strong commander or a madwoman? A little bit of IV drug use helps her forget.

The film felt like it was put together from leftovers of previously shot scenes and sequences that ended up on the cutting room floor. Kendra is NEVER in a scene with Bill Adama or the President. Mostly, she's shot in close-ups or two-shots with Lee Adama, making one think that short, cheap filler scenes were shot in order to tie together fragments of pre-existing scenes/sequences. Was somebody tasked with finding a way to use old scenes?

The script is something of a failure and is loaded with the kinds of contrivances overused by rookie writers. We've got the malfunctioning bomb timer, the clichéd, metaphor-rich speech – "We all have to be razors!" and the appearance of yet another 6 to expose Cane's "special relationship" as sheer manipulation. The inclusion of the clunky 80s "tin man" Cylons was simply lame.

The story ends with more tired "chosen one" BS from a cylon-human hybrid who somehow possesses omniscient knowledge of mankind's fate and Kara's special destiny.

The only revelation in all of this is the actress who played Kendra. Stephanie Chaves- Jacobsen is simply frickin' (not fracking) hot! She's got a unique, sultry look – her striking face was the only thing that kept me watching.

It's a real shame that BSG has devolved from a carefully rendered, thought-provoking, politically relevant series into mere violent, pseudo-spiritual, sci-fi eye candy. Sure, I'll watch every single episode of the final season, but my hopes ain't high.
                            Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap
                            They had to fake the ratings
                            They had to fake the ratings.
                            Let it be known for all times there were once...

Comment

As much as I love BSG and I love Atlantis I don't think I'd want Atlantis cancelled for BSG, because Atlantis is a continuous story arc and spinoff. Whereas BSG is sort of a one time show where they're finding Earth, i'd rather not have the show stretched further than it should be like SG-1 when it can go out in flying colours.
                              I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

I still don't get why I have to choose? I like both shows, sure SGA somewhat more but I'm still looking forward to s4 of BSG. oh and haven't seen Razor yet
                                sigpic
                                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X