Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancients can heal themselves, they just don't need to use a hand to do it, remember the Frozen Ancient healed incredibly quickly when she was accidentally hurt.

The Wraith only appear to heal themselves as a byproduct of the life they have drained. Basically I imagine if you hurt them enough they would run out of life to heal themselves and die of a normally fatal wound.

The Ancients can use this healing gift on others as it is a psionic gift. An ability of the mind rather than an ability of the body. This means it can be projected into other beings to help them heal. The Wraith also have limited psionic abilities, but we have yet to see a Wraith heal a fallen trooper. Maybe they don't see death of a brother the same. Maybe they have such a low respect for life that a life of a fellow wraith is worthless. This is quite frightening. It was clearly demonstrated by that wraith warriors willingness to destroy himself rather than be caughted.

However, the wraith Steve though he tried to kill himself eventually showed a willingness to live by giving information. This doesn't sound like a hive society mentality to me. I think a drone of any caste would be willing to die regarding of the pain. So far observation is neither for it, or against it.

Perhaps the higher the level in the caste system the more individual the drone becomes. The warriors do not speak nor do they hastiate to blow themselves up. But the leader Steve, that was more interesting, he try to blow himself up then allow himself to be questioned. I would think he would of starved to death rather than betray the hive.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
      Just one minor question... do we know for certain they require intelligent beings to feed off of? I know Steve wouldn't take anything that Sheppard put in front of him, but he might just not have had the RIGHT non-intelligent thing to put out.

Maybe we're just tasty.
      Regardless of the taste any living thing that is hungry will try to eat anything it think can end the hunger. The wraith didn't eat the rabbit/mouse/whatever probably because they had evolved to since a high level that to eat something so small would probably require more energy than it released. Hence the feeding off the higher lifeforms.

Either that or it simply didn't want to lower itself. But I doubt that, since in the end he betrayed the hive for an empty meal, that sounds desperate to me!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        Yes, I did notice it. Which makes it all the more incomprehensible why you'd take your own thread so COMPLETELY off topic.
        Off topic? It wasn't that off topic it involved the Wraith.

Plus did you ever think that by ending the argument I might get this thread back on track. Plus I like correcting people that I know are wrong.

It gives me that superior arrogant feeling that I like. Oooowwww I feel so big headed!

Comment

If the Wraith "swallow your soul" maybe they're implying that "lower animals" have no souls. Way to tick off all the animal lovers.

Maybe self-awareness is a factor.

Comment

If the Wraith "swallow your soul" maybe they're implying that "lower animals" have no souls. Way to tick off all the animal lovers.

This is just plain silly, but you may have a point. Maybe the Wraith can't feed on lower animals since the essences that they require to feed upon only exists in sentient beings. Hence the galaxy being void of intelligent beings.

Personally I'd like to see a survivor from a previous civilization that was around during the first culling of the wraith before the Ancients arrived in pegasus. They could tell the SGA that the Wraith have devoured all the life in their galaxy and that they tried to fight but were one by one defeated and devoured. Then the SGA finally figure out that this is only one of hundreds of galaxies that the wraith feed upon, and each galaxy hive has its own feed grounds! OOOOOOOOWwwww scary!

Doubt it though I figure they are from that galaxy, fed on everything wiping it out, then realised their mistake, they slept till the Ancients awoke them. Question is just how long have they been sleeping? A while thats for sure, their is no evidence of any other previous civilizations in pegasus, if there were the Ancients would of seen evidence of it and evidence that something bad happened to them and legged it.

Comment

Originally posted by jpf190279
              Item 8 - Wraith Society (Beware Spoilers)

This would means that there are 4 castes possibly 5 up to now;

Hive Queen - There has to be one just to be interesting. (not seen)
              Keeper - A servant of the hive queen.
              Thinker - A brain wraith, helps develop and maintain the hives technology (not seen)
              Leader - Funky looking wraith with no mask.
              Warrior - Faceless drone soldiers.
              Worker - A mindless wraith used for slave labour. (not seen)

With this kind of structure the wraith would be a far more efficient and effective race, the leaders and warrior would stun prey and bring it back to the hive for consumption while the race is researching and engineering using dedicated drones. This would then by sub-managed by a keeper who is especially a queen who has no hive of her own yet. The Hive queen would then be the overall commander of the hive.

Now we already know that their are multiple hives. So is it possible that there a overall Queen of all the hives? Hmmmm, if the Wraith are compared to inserts and they are descendant of a leech like insert then it is unlikely. Since hives do not have one overall queen, each hive usually has a single queen who spawns the workers the warriors and other queens. The other queen then fly away each year to start a new hive. This is what I think the keeper was, a queen wraith but yet to start her own hive.

Anyway that is enough for now. Let me know what you think!
              I think your Leader class is actually the Males of the Hive. You have one dominant Queen female with many Males who act like eyes and ears of the Hive. You notice whenever we see the Wraith it is with one of the Leader/Males with several soldier Wraiths. Perhaps the Leader/Male is who controls the soldiers when they are away from the hive.

I would also agree that there have to be some castes of the Wraith that we have not seen yet. On the Sci/Fi site we see another specifically mentioned "job" which one Wraith always has and somehow passes down from generation to generation that would be the "Curator of the Feeding Grounds". It is not known if this position is held by a Male or Female or perhaps some other caste we have not heard of. The fact that they have specifically designated jobs like the Keeper of the Sleep and the Curator of the Feeding Grounds either means that wraith have the ability to assume specific jobs, or that specific bloodlines hold the inborn instinct or knowledge to do one specific task. Kind of like when an ant or bee Queen spawns a specific type of worker who is custom tailored to do a specific job. I am not sure whether these would be specific castes of different kind of wraith or wraith similar to the ones we have seen who are just bred with the instinctual knowledge to perform a specific task.

I will note one thing, the Curator and the Keeper positions seem to involve Wraiths who possess intelligence/abilities more than your 'normal' wraith. Of course the Keeper is the only Female wraith we have seen up to date.

Will be interesting to see how they play it out in the series
              "It will take more than courage to survive what is to come"

Comment

Originally posted by Tannis
                I think your Leader class is actually the Males of the Hive. You have one dominant Queen female with many Males who act like eyes and ears of the Hive. You notice whenever we see the Wraith it is with one of the Leader/Males with several soldier Wraiths. Perhaps the Leader/Male is who controls the soldiers when they are away from the hive.

I would also agree that there have to be some castes of the Wraith that we have not seen yet. On the Sci/Fi site we see another specifically mentioned "job" which one Wraith always has and somehow passes down from generation to generation that would be the "Curator of the Feeding Grounds". It is not known if this position is held by a Male or Female or perhaps some other caste we have not heard of. The fact that they have specifically designated jobs like the Keeper of the Sleep and the Curator of the Feeding Grounds either means that wraith have the ability to assume specific jobs, or that specific bloodlines hold the inborn instinct or knowledge to do one specific task. Kind of like when an ant or bee Queen spawns a specific type of worker who is custom tailored to do a specific job. I am not sure whether these would be specific castes of different kind of wraith or wraith similar to the ones we have seen who are just bred with the instinctual knowledge to perform a specific task.

I will note one thing, the Curator and the Keeper positions seem to involve Wraiths who possess intelligence/abilities more than your 'normal' wraith. Of course the Keeper is the only Female wraith we have seen up to date.

Will be interesting to see how they play it out in the series
                You make very good notes there and I totally agree, the generic titles I assigned to classify the wraith caste system with maybe also by the wraith be called by fancy names.

The Keeper of the Sleep and The Curator of the Feeding Grounds do sound to be of considerable intelligences and power. Remember the Keeper read summers mind and forced him to his knees. This is an ability that had not been displayed by the Warriors or the Male/Leader.

I think that the Male/Leader is the one capable of the phantoms where as the warriors are not. The warriors seem to be quite the bit stupid and used as suicidal troops. They have little regard for their own lifes and are will to walk into bullets to get to someone. The Male/Leader seems to have a bit more concern for themselves and have a much greater intelligence. Remember that one that slapped Summers in the cheat sending him flying? He also sneaked up behind Shepherd and stunned him. They are also only one of two castes that speak.

I think I am starting to see a pattern here;

The Male/Leader is a Lieutenants
                The Keeper of the Sleep is a Commander
                The Warriors are Grunts

The Lieutenants job is to fullfill the wishes of the Commander who gets their orders from higher up.

Comment

Also the Keeper of the Sleep is a Female position whereas the Leader is a Male position. If the producers have the wraith follow the classic lines of a hive structure there will be not only the levels you have mentioned by position but also gender based positions as well, such as the Queen being the fertile female breeder/Leader. I also tend to beleive that the Warrior/soldiers are neuter, even though they look male. That would make sense in a hive based society where the Female queen controls over all and the males follow the queen's will and control the neuter soldiers. There would also have to follow other kinds of neuter drones and such that serve the queen directly as her servants, messengers etc.

Perhaps the Keeper of the Sleep is a lesser female designated or specifically bred by the queen right before the queen goes to sleep to over see the part of the hive that is awake while the queen sleeps. this female would possesss some of the capabilities of the queen but would probably not be fertile.

Comment

Also the Keeper of the Sleep is a Female position whereas the Leader is a Male position. If the producers have the wraith follow the classic lines of a hive structure there will be not only the levels you have mentioned by position but also gender based positions as well, such as the Queen being the fertile female breeder/Leader. I also tend to beleive that the Warrior/soldiers are neuter, even though they look male. That would make sense in a hive based society where the Female queen controls over all and the males follow the queen's will and control the neuter soldiers. There would also have to follow other kinds of neuter drones and such that serve the queen directly as her servants, messengers etc.

Perhaps the Keeper of the Sleep is a lesser female designated or specifically bred by the queen right before the queen goes to sleep to over see the part of the hive that is awake while the queen sleeps. this female would possesss some of the capabilities of the queen but would probably not be fertile.
                    Do you think that perhaps the Lieutenant is a breeder? Since some hives use male breeders to govern less drones.

Plus it makes sense that the Queen would have to breed a hell of a lot. Unless the fact their numbers aren't easily depleted meant that they gained quite the population over a long period of time.

A drone a year for 10 million years = 10 million Drones.

I doubt very much that the producers will follow the classic hive structure simply because it is not interesting, i.e. limited castes, and doesn't allow for intelligence/creativity as part of its caste design. The Wraith need this very much to address they ships technology and engineering.

Comment

This is true about the hive structure, but they have already said that it will follow the earth hive structure somewhat.

Regarding breeding, it could be that the Queen only produces offspring when a member of the hive needs to be replaced. There are species like this in nature here on earth. Once a certain member limit is reached (still dont know how they calculate that) the Queen stops producing active members and produces only 'blank' eggs for a while. After that when a member needs to be replaced, the queen picks a blank egg and somehow tells it what type of creature it is to become.

I dont think the other females could be breeders also, as that is one thing no hive queen will tolerate is competition, unless there is something like several queens, with only one being awake at a time. Kinda like the Vampire Elders in Underworld if you have seen that movie.

Comment

This is true about the hive structure, but they have already said that it will follow the earth hive structure somewhat.

Regarding breeding, it could be that the Queen only produces offspring when a member of the hive needs to be replaced. There are species like this in nature here on earth. Once a certain member limit is reached (still dont know how they calculate that) the Queen stops producing active members and produces only 'blank' eggs for a while. After that when a member needs to be replaced, the queen picks a blank egg and somehow tells it what type of creature it is to become.

I dont think the other females could be breeders also, as that is one thing no hive queen will tolerate is competition, unless there is something like several queens, with only one being awake at a time. Kinda like the Vampire Elders in Underworld if you have seen that movie.
                        Hmm I think I agree with you on that. However, regarding several queens, I think like ants, the Wraith might have several queens who begin in the hive but then go off to form their own hives.

If each hive ship as a queen, and a hive ship is literaturely a flying mobile hive, then is it possible for a hive world? After all the Wraith had to have begun somewhere?

What if the Hive world is mobile tooooo? *Thinks Tyranid from Warhammer* Now that would certainly be problematic. But I doubt again the producers have that much imagination. Plus the population of the pegasus galaxy would not support since a concept. The feeding requirements alone would insure that.

I agree with the unit cap the Wraith may place on their numbers. I think they would have to, since allowing an ever increasing number of Wraith to be born would potentially starve themselves out of existence, though this may have happened already. The result being that they went to sleep.

The only concept that needs addressing is how the hives formed and how they built their ships? Is it possible they are built in space? Between the stars? Or do you think they have planet side shipyards? And what of the Queen? Is there possibly one overall queen? Now that could get interesting.

Comment

PETA alert!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

??

Comment

Originally posted by jpf190279
                              ??
                              What's your question?

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1