This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ace
    You can tell by his rank... An Officer will be promoted every two years until the rank of Captain at which point they will be presented to a committee to be promoted.

Which means Ford was a Second Lieutenant for 2 years then he was promoted to First Lieutenant. So I guess technically he could have been in the marines for 2 to 4 years before he left for Atlantis. He is still young.
    Is that how advancement works in the military? I always thought it was on the merit system, not just because you've done your time. But I guess you should know.

Again I don't think you can call a First Lieutenant, a seasoned veteran, but if you want to continue that I can't stop you. As for hearing about the difference between "being on the job" and "off-duty recreational time"?

Atlantis brings a new kind of situation where he will always be on duty. Leaving little time for recreational activites. Look at Sheppard, would you complain about him? He threw McKay off a ledge while he was "on the job" he seemed pretty happy and excited about it. He was having fun, did he display decorum and restraint as an officer. Hell no!

Rainbow is portraying Ford exactly like the writers want him too. A young officer who gets to blow up stuff. Which I may add is why many officers join the military. Including me...
    "Seasoned veteran" may be stretching things, I grant you, but neither should he be a wide-eyed rookie, which is how the writers are portraying him at times. Although, in 1x03, he's actually much more serious overall so my criticisms may be moot. And no, they're not always on duty; in "Hide & SeeK", we see both Ford and Sheppard in civvies watching a football game on video and eating popcorn.

Sheppard throwing McKay off the ledge was played for laughs. One could quibble about it being a bit excessively slapstick in nature but it WAS very funny. Overall, I think it's been an excellent start.
    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by David85
      That's my point, on Voyager they welcomed the terrorists criminals with open arms, yet on SG-A they met a group of humans willing to help and we don't trust them at all.
      The difference is that Star Trek portrays humans as being more civilized than people of current time. They accepted the Maquis for that reason. But in reality anyone, especially a militarily or politicalically seasoned person, would distrust first and then begin to open up. Just think of how many times you've been screwed over by another Human.

Why did I enlist during a time of war? Because I'm "Army Strong," not "Army Smart."

Forget this "Army of One" BS. I signed up to "Be all that I can be!"

Comment

I agree with STG. There is a difference, even if we don't trust them. The difference is, this isn't Voyager
        __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Ace

Rainbow is portraying Ford exactly like the writers want him too. A young officer who gets to blow up stuff. Which I may add is why many officers join the military. Including me...

Ace
          DITTO!!
          There's nothing wrong with ford having fun. If he's doing his job and doing it well what's wrong with enjoying it? It may not be PC but sometimes being in the military is fun.......

Comment

PC? As in politically correct? Jeez. You'd think you'd be able to escape Earth's tacky politics in an entirely different galaxy!

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons
              What is up with Weir asking Teyla if her Wraith sensing powers had ever been wrong.
              Weir, who is still relatively new to all this, may have been thinking of Sam's ability to sense Goa'uld - pretty reliable - and Teal'c's ability to sense Reetou - there, but not too helpful. She might have wondered where, on the reliability scale, was Teyla's sensing ability. Could she tell a Wraith shadow from another type of energy-emittance, for example? I forget; could Teyla differentiate between the two? (Must go watch again. )

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question, to me, given their situation.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                PC? As in politically correct? Jeez. You'd think you'd be able to escape Earth's tacky politics in an entirely different galaxy!
                There was another thread where I mentioned that Petty Earth Politics, (and such) was probably an item in "Weir's Backpack," but to my knowledge,there is no real thread by that name.

So, no; where humans go, politics travel.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                  That's my point, on Voyager they welcomed the terrorists criminals with open arms, yet on SG-A they met a group of humans willing to help and we don't trust them at all.
                  They were never welcomed with open arms; it took a lot of trust and faith on the part of Captain Janeway, who realized she had to cooperate with them if they were to survive. She turned out to be right because, for the most part, the Maquis were honourable and good people who opposed the Cardassian oppression of the Bajorans, etc. She knew they weren't really evil people like Islamic terrorists who don't care who they kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                    You can tell by his rank... An Officer will be promoted every two years until the rank of Captain at which point they will be presented to a committee to be promoted.

Which means Ford was a Second Lieutenant for 2 years then he was promoted to First Lieutenant. So I guess technically he could have been in the marines for 2 to 4 years before he left for Atlantis. He is still young.

Again I don't think you can call a First Lieutenant, a seasoned veteran, but if you want to continue that I can't stop you. As for hearing about the difference between "being on the job" and "off-duty recreational time"?

Atlantis brings a new kind of situation where he will always be on duty. Leaving little time for recreational activites. Look at Sheppard, would you complain about him? He threw McKay off a ledge while he was "on the job" he seemed pretty happy and excited about it. He was having fun, did he display decorum and restraint as an officer. Hell no!

Ace
                    What rank are you Ace?

Comment

Not to mention that she had extensive files on most of the them because she was, after all, originally out to catch them. Weir and the SGA people don't know anything at all about Tayla's people.

Tell me this. If she had accepted them, and there was a spy among them, would people than be complaining that Weir was incompetent? After all, she let them be there.

Comment

Is that like having "Spider Sense?"

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Okay, I’m afraid to bump this thread up again since it’s been thoroughly rotted by all the Military, Lt. Ford, and Voyager talk (three things I’m really afraid of). But the title is about Teyla and her Wraith Sensing Powers… so what the hell. I’m also not going to put a spoiler warning on this cause it’s pure speculation on my part. I haven’t read this anywhere so take it with a grain of salt.

What if Teyla can sense the Wraith because she is part Wraith? I don’t mean that in the Muahahah-sinister sense. I’m simply saying what if she’s got Wraith genes like Sheppard has Ancient genes? I guess will find out when they air The Gift but if anybody knows post some invisitext, cause I really want to find out.

Comment

Well personally I don't think teyla is part wraith, however I do think that there is more to her then most in the Pegasus galaxy. Season 2 (spoliers) see's the introduction of a new character who has been modified by the wraith with a homing device, Ronon Dex, which makes him a prize catch/feed for the wraith, and Ford has been turned into a supersolider of sorts by the wraith. As seen in rising the wraith prefer to feed on humans with strength and will power, humans that will fight them until they have been entirely consumed for food. We also know that the wraith are extremely advanced with their own tech, science, and way of life. Basically what I am getting at is that mabey teyla is another one of these modified humans but instead of super strength (though she does seem to posses that too) she has been given a wraith sencing ability to allow her to resist and hide from the wraith, making her the prize of any wraith who can ACTUALLY capture her.

Comment

Well we won't have to wait long "The Gift" airs tomorrow in Canada so we should know what Teyla's powers are.
                              "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Damn, that's a pretty good theory, Sppeters, I like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X