Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea, i made my reply by editing the origonal post.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

Originally posted by Hohenzollern
      However doing that would likely violate the Protected Planets treaty between the Asgard and the System Lords
      By giving us advanced weapons and shields for prometheus, The treaty doesn't exist anymore.
      sigpic

Comment

I never watched ANY of the star trek shows, so I can't compare it

I'll say it kinda like Phil Hendrie does

"don't get upset folks, it's just [show biz] entertainment!"

I was pessimistic at first, but I really liked the permier. Looking forward to more!

My personal site www.krawdaddy.net
        Admin/Co-Owner: DiscussNASCAR.com | Admin: DiscussAnything.com | SuperMod: ChopperWeb.net

Comment

Mr. Negative...

The thing I most disagree with you on is Colonel Sumner. He was so unlikable and so not cool that if he had not died, I would have hated the show, haha. I could not stand his presence at all and could not bear watching him over and over again.

I liked Voyager. It was my favorite Trek show. I like Weir. I love McKay and I love all the other characters and plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Erin
            Mr. Negative...

The thing I most disagree with you on is Colonel Sumner. He was so unlikable and so not cool that if he had not died, I would have hated the show, haha. I could not stand his presence at all and could not bear watching him over and over again.

I liked Voyager. It was my favorite Trek show. I like Weir. I love McKay and I love all the other characters and plot.
            It is an absolute mystery (and therefore unconvincing) why this guy has been choosen as the military leader in the first place. Not does he lacks

- fundamental leadership skills (pissing up the second ranked person completely in the beginning is pointless and unproductive, if you want to work with him for the next years to come),

- elementary diplomatic skills (looking arrogantly and as if your negotiation partner is not present is not very helpful),

- serious problem with safety judgement and responsible behavior (heading into the ruins despite warnings without first learning the details of those people's fear is quite reckless)

he also has a serious problem with finding excuses for his action ("These people cannot help us" - just because he fails to negotiate with them), and being easily misled by what appears to him as obvious. I would further guess that he feels challenged by MAJ Sheppard, as the rank difference to him is significantly less than the rest of the military team.

Again: When I watched the episode, I always want to ask the same question Amanda Tapping asked during the sweepstake advertising: "Where did they find these people?" Seriously: Weir refered these people as the best and brightest - is she kidding?

Comment

Originally posted by divineshadow
              1. First of all, let me say Stargate: Atlantis really really SUCKS, big time. Why?, you might ask. Here's why, it has the same basic premise as Star Trek: Voyager which really really sucked big time also. Both casts of Stargate: Atlantis and Star Trek: Voyager are transported far far away and both are struggling to get home while managing to anger lots of aliens along the way.
              2. I knew Stargate: Atlantis was going to suck from the moment that I heard the title of the new show contained the word 'Atlantis'. Will somebody please tell Hollywood to get over its fascination with Atlantis. Whatever the real Atlantis was like, it would have been in no way as advanced as the countries of today. In fact, it probably wasn't even as advanced as medieval Europe. There's an idea, Stargate: Medieval Europe.
              3. Atlantis has an incredibly stupid plot. 'Hey, we just discovered a dark room on another planet in another galaxy. We don't know if we can get back, so let's send about 60 people to find out.' Yeah, really smart. Sign me up. When do we leave?
              4. I bet that they will go 7 or 8 years without anyone at Stargate Command (SGC) coming up with the idea, 'Hey let's contact the Asgaard and ask them to send a ship to pick up the group.' I mean they're only in the Pegasus Galaxy, a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way Galaxy. They could get there in no time. Besides, the Asgaard would probably be very interested in looking around the Lost City of the Ancients. Of course, General O'Neill would have to admit to the Asgaard, 'Yep, we screwed up again.'
              5. Now for the Wraiths, H.G. Wells and the producers of the movie, The Time Machine (2002) called and they want their Morlocks back. The Wraiths are such an obvious rip off of the Morlocks, right down to the light blue skin, long hair, and the fact that they both eat humans. In fact, one Wraith, the white haired one who was the lieutenant to the red haired Wraith, looked almost exactly like Jeremy Irons' character in The Time Machine. The Wraiths are cartoonish, they have no depth of character. The Goa'uld were interesting villains because most of the prominent ones were intelligent and had some sophistication, for example, Apophis (the best Goa'uld in my opinion), Baal, Lord Yu, Osiris, and Nerti. Anubis wasn't that great.
              6. The newer version stargates look silly. They resemble the fake stargate on the fake show Wormhole X-treme. Are flashing lights on a stargate really an advancement in technology for the people who built the stargates? I think the Ancients could have incorporated flashing lights on the older stargates as well.
              7. I was disappointed when I heard that Jessica Steen (Dr. Weir) was dropping out of the show. I've always liked her. She has a friendly and fun personality which would have really been an asset to the show. Besides, she's really good eye candy, in spite of the fact she's pushing 40. Considering the two hour pilot for Atlantis, I'm not surprised that she wanted to jump ship. This stinker would have ruined her career.
              8. As for Torri Higginson (Dr. Weir), she's rather bland looking. As for her personality, one word: BORING!
              9. As for the character of Dr. McKay, why would the producers include the most annoying character from SG-1 in this show? The character is a weasel. Remember how he was quite unhelpful, to say the least, when Teal'c was stuck in the Stargate. It would have been better to put Dom DeLuise's character of Urgo in the lineup or maybe Harlan the android who always says "comtrya!".
              10. It was a big mistake to get rid of Robert Patrick's character, Col. Sumner. Robert Patrick has a strong personality and a good presence. He would have been a good asset for the show.
              11. In conclusion, I will occasionally watch Atlantis for the same reason I watched Star Trek: Voyager to the end, just to see how bad it can get. I won't look forward to it each week, like Stargate SG-1. Atlantis should be cancelled and the SciFi Channel should spend the money on two full seasons of Farscape instead of just a miniseries!

See here's your problem. <snipped by moderator> Although there are two points where I would agree. The new Dr Weir is not cool and boring. The other one is the obvious thought "why doesn't the SGC contact the Asgard to send a ship to Atlantis???" <snipped by moderator> You're comparisons and gripes about the show are <snipped by moderator> You say that you're going to watch it occasionaly just to see how bad it gets. Bullsh*t, you will end up watching all the episodes or none at all. The watching it sometimes thing is crap. <snipped by moderator>
              I liked the premier of Atlantis. I will not say if the show sucks or not until the storyline really starts to pick up.
              Last edited by Shipperahoy; 20 July 2004, 09:31 PM. Reason: Personal insults are against forum rules. Read the FAQ

Comment

Quote snipped by moderator

Ok, I'm no mod, but that definately sounded hostile/demeaning towards divine shadow. I understand if you disagree strongly with him, I know I do, but you shouldn't be quite that... descriptive about who he is and what he should do. Those were some pretty strong words and I do not think divineshadow's argument is valid, that doesn't give me the right to say mean things about him. I'm jsut saying this becasue I did soemthing similar when I was first starting out, and I didn't even realize my post was overly offensive to people. I have since learned to be more carefull and more considerate of people's rights to talk freely on the forum. Don't make the same mistake as me, most people here are very nice, I know they make me feel welcome. Sometimes you get some bad apples, but the Mods take care of them is they get out of line.
                Last edited by Shipperahoy; 20 July 2004, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Voyager was accidently sent to another part of the galaxy. Atlantis, they want to go and to what purpose I dont know.
                  sigpic
                  The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Comment

Originally posted by Elitenova
                    Voyager was accidently sent to another part of the galaxy. Atlantis, they want to go and to what purpose I dont know.
                    This now becomes a bit off-topic:

In the case of Voyager, it was not quite an accident. The Caretaker was intentionally bringing people from across the galaxy. It was just involuntarily from the point of view of the Voyager crew (and of the Marquis involved, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                      Ok, I'm no mod, but that definately sounded hostile/demeaning towards divine shadow. I understand if you disagree strongly with him, I know I do, but you shouldn't be quite that... descriptive about who he is and what he should do. Those were some pretty strong words and I do not think divineshadow's argument is valid, that doesn't give me the right to say mean things about him. I'm jsut saying this becasue I did soemthing similar when I was first starting out, and I didn't even realize my post was overly offensive to people. I have since learned to be more carefull and more considerate of people's rights to talk freely on the forum. Don't make the same mistake as me, most people here are very nice, I know they make me feel welcome. Sometimes you get some bad apples, but the Mods take care of them is they get out of line.

Yeah perhaps, I guess I could've toned it down just a bit. I will admit that. However, I still mean everything I said. Basically, I was trying to say that the way he take every single tiny little thing and nags it to death. Any normal minded person would not care about most of what he was talking about. They would simply enjoy it or not enjoy it. His post obviously points out that he is a very angry person in general and likes to criticize everything. I know from experience. I have to deal with relatives that are the same exact way. Sorry if I offended anyone else, but I stick with the meaning of my original post.

Comment

Interesting...

You think this Stargate: Atlantis SUCKS!

So...

I'll give you my an opinion.

YOU'RE AFRAID OF YOURSELF THAT YOU LIKE STARGATE: ATLANTIS!

So, the others will think you're a nerd like Star Trek's geeks. (cluck)

HELL, THIS IS NOT STAR TREK!!! IT A STARGATE!!!

Actually, I like Star Trek. But really best Stargate... more actions... less science words.

AMEN!

If anyone agree this... Post Relay.
                        Last edited by Hail Stargate; 20 July 2004, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Please folks remember our main rule here at GateWorld - No negative personal remarks about other posters/cast/crew ie real people.

Negative personal remarks will not be tolerated. If you wish to post here you must do so according to the GateWorld rules.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hail Stargate
                            Interesting...

You think this Stargate: Atlantis SUCKS!

So...

I'll give you my an opinion.

YOU'RE AFRAID OF YOURSELF THAT YOU LIKE STARGATE: ATLANTIS!

So, the others will think you're a nerd like Star Trek's geeks. (cluck)

HELL, THIS IS NOT STAR TREK!!! IT A STARGATE!!!

Actually, I like Star Trek. But really best Stargate... more actions... less science words.

AMEN!

If anyone agree this... Post Relay.
                            Hey!!! Do you know the difference between a Star Trek fan and a Stargate fan? When someone posts Star Trek Sucks! or Star Trek Fans are Nerds on their message board NO ONE CARES... So the people stop posting stuff like that. It's not fun to poke something that doesn't react. My solution... If you are a true Stargate Fan stop posting on this thread or any similar threads and they will stop.
                            Last edited by Selmak; 21 July 2004, 05:37 AM.

Comment

I didn't like the first 2 seasons of the Stargate SG-1. Everything was revolved around exploring primitive tribes on some backwood planet. The series only started to improve when the writers played more on the Goa'uld, Tokra, Asgard storylines.

I am guessing the same thing is happening with Atlantis. Again we are exploring primitive tribes. It may take a season or two before the Atlantis writers will really get the story interesting.

That's another problem I have with stories revolving around primitive tribes. This is a sci fi series, not a documentary on pre historic human civilization.

Comment

Originally posted by divineshadow
                                Atlantis should be cancelled and the SciFi Channel should spend the money on two full seasons of Farscape instead of just a miniseries!

HAHAhAHA ya right. Farscape's ratings sucked harsh why would sci fi be stupid enough to spend money on that. Stargate however, has ratings going through the roof. And as I am writing this Stargate Atlantis has had the highest ratings ever for a series on SCI FI. Farscape never even made it close to that. As O'neill said one "There is always one of you in a crowd."
                                Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
                                - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
                                - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
                                Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
                                Mayboune: *shrugs*
                                - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

Working...
                                X