Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new to Stargate (and this forum), a friend of mine got on a Stargate kick and has had me watching the show on DVD the past months or two. Presently, I have seen seasons 1 through 6. I have the last three episodes of Season 6 to watch, and I really don't want to. I have enjoyed it so much!

I have, however, watched TNG, DS9, and VGR extensively (no Enterprise as it is predictible and snooze-esque). I am the first to stand in the line and comment on how bad Voyager was. I can write a lot about that. When I read the premise of Atlantis, I made the same negative association with Voyager.

The thing is, the Voyager concept is interesting. The writers (IMHO) just did not have any clue how to exploit the plot device in any interesting, believable, or dramatic way. Based on watching 130-some episodes of Stargate, I have faith that the writers on this show will get it right. Besides, I am not entirely sure that the prime motivation of Atlantis is to get home, unlike Voyager.

I say give the show a chance. I have not been excited about watching a TV show in a long time. I am really looking forward to seeing how Atlantis evolves over the next several years.

Plus, Sheppard is kinda cute

Comment

ohhhh, everyone sposted loads, so this may not get read... but a few things

1. The sci-fi show the "wraith" were "stolen" from. I dont remember that, how long ago was it ?

2. The asgard could get a ship to the pegasus galaxy... But then what ? the asgard arent gonna wanna ship humans from earth to atlantis all the time. It seems they already have alot of data from the ancients, they just cant work it out!

3. Im sure the wraith will have character. I dont see if your saying there not intelligent, because they are considerably more advanced than the goauld. Like, probly in their little finger theres more than the goauld know (since they steal tech anyway!).

4. "Flashling Lights" dont make a stargate work better The origonal ones rotate so you know where you are with that, but the lights on these flash to the icons needed. After all. Moving parts make something easier to break

If your gonna watch atlantis for the sake of wasting time then go ahead. But, i wouldnt come here every episode and say this sort of thing. It "is" after all a "fan" forum. The prospect of support seems quite dim

Comment

Originally posted by Bogopimp
        If your gonna watch atlantis for the sake of wasting time then go ahead. But, i wouldnt come here every episode and say this sort of thing. It "is" after all a "fan" forum. The prospect of support seems quite dim

Technically, if he wants to, he has every right to, that's what a forum is for, the free speech (within reason) of your ideas. However, I think he made it quite clear that he won't waste his time with watching Atlantis. If he does post his dislike about each episode, then it should provide a healthy forum for debate, as long as we don't violate the Gateworld Forum rules.

Comment

If you don’t like the show, then don’t watch it, people have different tastes, I personally love SGA just as much as SG. It’s impossible to come up with totally new ideas, you could probably compare most episodes of SG to other TV shows and movies.

Spoiler
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          They don’t get home, it’s an illusion.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

I doubt he would post more "Atlantis sucks" type post if no one cared/replayed.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicarter
              It’s impossible to come up with totally new ideas, you could probably compare most episodes of SG to other TV shows and movies.
              I agree. IMHO there are some ideas that you could fall back on. Like parallel universes, or being far away from home. I think every sci-fi show does that to some degree.
              "Basically, what I'm saying is that I am colossally flawed, so if you don't like my opinions, exercise your freedoms and disagree. Or, quite frankly, don't read any further, as that is also your right." (Micheal Shanks' TV Guide Blog, May 17, 2007)

Comment

I think this may well be my first post here and I wanted to say..I thouroughly enjoyed the first two eps of Atlantis, they were very strong and I think that if this is the way of things to come we are in for a very enjoyable series.

Comment

Originally posted by pete1336
                  I think this may well be my first post here and I wanted to say..I thouroughly enjoyed the first two eps of Atlantis, they were very strong and I think that if this is the way of things to come we are in for a very enjoyable series.
                  Same exact way i feel about SG1
                  Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Seeing as how Indeed can't agree with some people....

"I too agree with whatever you guys are saying...blah blah blah blah blah!!!"
                    Last edited by DownFallAngel; 20 July 2004, 12:15 PM.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I think someones trying to increase there post count by posting one word replys, *cough*DFA*cough*.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicarter
                        I think someones trying to increase there post count by posting one word replys, *cough*DFA*cough*.

Hey...why don't you uh....go refresh...

And....

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

That and we keep adding things about Atlantis NOT sucking to the Atlantis sucks thread, most amusing.

Comment

But that’s ok thought, cause if it were just comments on how it sucked it wouldn’t be much do a discussion, so other views need to be added to show it doesn’t suck.

Comment

OT: BTW Replicarter, did you see my post in response to your question about +or-rep?

Comment

Originally posted by divineshadow
                                ... the idea, 'Hey let's contact the Asgaard and ask them to send a ship to pick up the group.' I mean they're only in the Pegasus Galaxy, a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way Galaxy. They could get there in no time. Besides, the Asgaard would probably be very interested in looking around the Lost City of the Ancients. Of course, General O'Neill would have to admit to the Asgaard, 'Yep, we screwed up again.
                                You do raise many valid and well stated points, as is the purpose of the forum. I for one agree with this Asgard point. Pegasus is in the local group and they could be rescued by the Asgard. BUT are we concerned that the
                                Asgard would spirit all the cool toys away to "protect" us? We still do not fully know the Asgard Agenda.
                                I also would have tried to contact the Asgard to help us exploit the discoveries in Antarctica and to locate more ZPMs in our own galaxy. However doing that would likely violate the Protected Planets treaty between the Asgard and the System Lords. A rescue of a team off world could be allowed, but co development of ancient tech would be a no no.
                                Remember the treaty is still in effect (though Baal and the system lords may have realized the Asgard's bluff -- New Order). But as the System Lords may becoming wise to the true situation of the Asgard it "could" happen. The treaty unravels and all bets would be off. So yes...bring in the Asgard or AT THE VERY LEAST, I would like to see this answered or dealt with in future Atlantis episodes.
                                Of course the show has only been on air since breakfast. We will see how it unfolds.

Originally posted by divineshadow
                                11. In conclusion, I will occasionally watch Atlantis for the same reason I watched Star Trek: Voyager to the end, just to see how bad it can get. I won't look forward to it each week, like Stargate SG-1. Atlantis should be cancelled and the SciFi Channel should spend the money on two full seasons of Farscape instead of just a miniseries!
                                I enjoyed Farscape, especially the Hallucinatory masochistic leather episode, BUT would you not say that Farscape also follows the "Lost in Space" plot structure? The guy did get lost on the other side of the galaxy...trying to find his way back home via wormhole, thwarted in several attempts, etc.

While Galactica did sour me on the "lost in space concept" by not wrapping it up (Gal 1980 does not count), I did love the character development and interplay in Voyager. I particularly loved DS9 character development. Four DS9 episodes in my mind where Hugo-worthy.
                                A show wont be firing on all cylinders every week. It happens. I will watch, and the characters will be fleshed out, grow, etc. Took two seasons for me to really get into DS9, where I bothered to record episodes when away.

Overall, I liked this first episode(s). LOVED the score and glad to be reacquainted with the score used at the end of Lost City. Good stuff. Looking foward to the CD, should it come out. Lots of nice piano work on this score.

I liked the opening. I LOVED the montage of some of the individual's preparations for departure (leaving the cat, hugging parents, etc); with Dr. Weir's letter to her husband voiced over. I would have preferred to see her husband sign the obligatory papers that go with such a clearance, but eh...only two hours I guess. While the video made the nice voice over...that was a off-putting way to inform one's spouse/boyfriend, whatever he was. ;-0

I would have liked to see more explanation of where the ancient planet address came from. From the outpost...but from a database...another cartouche...? Rather than present day they could have somehow alluded to a year (+/-) since the attack by anubis, etc. Unless I missed that. Dr. Weir did comment choosing team members for months, so it obviously has been some time passage. That could have been the allusion to time passage...?

Also we do not currently know if the ZPM energy source was drained, by using it for the transport to Atlantis, and thus whether or not the Antarctic base has power. Without it, earth is defenseless, not that we knew what to do with the tech anyway. (Asgard please!) I would have looked for more ZPMs elsewhere in our galaxy, before sacrificing the one at Antarctica. I would like to see this visited in future episodes. The whys or why nots.

The ZPM they did use, to power the gate for the outbound trip; why did it not glow until powered up? In last episode of Season 7 we saw the thing glow at all times, even when ferried in Sam's rucksack, showing it was powered. Only the depleted ZPMs are dark. This scene of the dark ZPM that had to be turned on somehow seemed inconsistent.

On Atlantis, I did like Dr Weir getting Dr McKay to knock off the Chevron Countdown. "Rodney...?!"

And when Dr McKay said, as the energy barrier was demonstrated,
                                "uuusing powerusing powerusing power!"

Rolling the bottle of Champagne through before wormhole closure was a nice touch. I would have liked to have seen it frosted...I miss that the chill or frosting of objects moving through the wormhole was never carried from the movie to the series.

I really hope the international team member characters are developed further.
                                That Asian female with the Phillipine flag patch (speaking to Daniel just prior to O'Neill asking "Are we there yet?") was very, very nice. I would like to see her again.;-0 Would like to see some French team members too. Cast in a good light too mind you.

Thank god they brought Marines with them!

Wraith "Dart" ships. Tres COOL!! Though it could bode ill for the team, I am aching to see that Wraith mothership underway. They had better address it and the location of the other Wraith, more detailed origins.

Some good points raised...but I will wait and see and hope they are addressed in the show. Perhaps the writers peruse these boards to gauge viewer opinion? They'd be shortsighted not to do something like that?
                                Last edited by Hohenzollern; 20 July 2004, 01:06 PM.
                                "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

Working...
                                X