Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rest mass energy is E=mc^2, which is an amazing source of energy but something that we are unable to duplicate. If this vacuum energy is essentially rest mass energy (which I suspect it is), then the power would appear to be infinite...however, it would have limits. I can see that millions of years, holding water at bay, would be enough to drain them to critical levels. I can also see where they would not have extras lying around. The Ancients were powerful, but they weren't omniscient.

We had to calculate how many gallons of water would be needed to power a car for it's lifetime using the theory of rest mass energy. It wasn't much water at all, I think 3.6 cubic meters.
    sigpic

Comment

Quiet you.
      *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
      McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

I'm a physics major, what can I say?
        sigpic

Comment

Guess you're talking about ZPE.

It doesn't have to be vacuum, it's just that it gives the best results. It's the difference in energy levels that gives us power. I wrote a post explaining ZPE with terms everyone could understand somewhere on GW. I'll see if I can find it.

Comment

You can say nothing
            NOTHING

Comment

Hehehe, well I've got to go, Anubis, that'd be a cool article to read.

Now, I'm off to clean my bedroom, a decidely uncool thing to do.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IWantToBelieve
                Hehehe, well I've got to go, Anubis, that'd be a cool article to read.

Now, I'm off to clean my bedroom, a decidely uncool thing to do.
                hahaha, loser

hmm...

maybe I should clean my room

Comment

Cough... here we go. Taken from 2 other topics somewhere on this forum:

Zero Point Energy:
                  Imagine two tanks with water, one with 1 meter water in it, and one with 100 meter in it. If you would connect these 2 tanks, the water would run over into the tank which had 1 meter in it. But eventually it would be 50-50, so no water would flow. Now change the tanks with our dimension and space/time. The energy in vaccum vs the energy in space/time. Eventually the levels would even out.

But seeing that if they're using the ZPM the energy level should decrease, so space/time would fill it up again. Maybe if it's not used for a while the connection between our space and space/time would close. IE the ZPM malfunctions.

You need an inital powersource to start it up and manage the fields keeping the energy in, but when it's online it can power that itself, so then another powersource isn't required.

Comment

Comment

I think a multimillion year lifespan is a good battery life even for the Ancients... taking into account the massive power needed for the shield to hold back Wraith attacks and the Ocean later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                        I think a multimillion year lifespan is a good battery life even for the Ancients... taking into account the massive power needed foe the shield to hold back Qraith attacks and the Ocean later on.
                        But like people say, never hurts to have spare batteries.
                        Who says that?
                        But, it never hurts to have spares around.

Comment

the sheilds only have to be powerful enough to withstand water pressure. when underattack they just sink the city and they are safe. I dont think lasers are very effective underwater.

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                            But like people say, never hurts to have spare batteries.
                            Who says that?
                            But, it never hurts to have spares around.
                            Maybe the ZPMs need to be in continual use or they break on their own....in that case, they couldn't have spares.
                            sigpic

Comment

Hey guys! I'm glad to see that old "delphiforums" was dumped. I hated that.

Anyway, my take on this whole ZPM thing. They DID have a backup. Think about it. Just one was powering a massive shield like that, AND the gate, AND the lights/their equivelant of computers. If just one can do all that, when it's mostly depleted, then two fresh ZPM's can certainly power the whole city. So one of the three goes out, their computer mentions something but in general there is very little rush to replace it.

Ah, just throw one in the next ship that comes to visit the city. We'll be fine with two. The third, while contributing, is mainly just a backup. Who knows where they store/manufacture them, but where ever that is they just gotta sneak in and grab a few. Just hope they do before the Wraith find out that the city is vulnerable. They probably won't, makes for a more exciting show
                              We are the ori. You will be assymilated. Resistance is futile.

Comment

No text

Comment

Working...
                                X