This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
    DHD doesn't really stand for Dial Home Device anymore, though. It's just become the shorthand for a dialling device; like a walkman is any personal stereo or a hoover any vacuum cleaner.

It's sad really. I remember a time when the DHD name really meant something.
    DHD still means something to me!
    Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
      The Gate has a forcefield that works just like an Iris.
      And no Chevron guy, bomber !
      Would Grodin (I think that's him) serve as the Chevron Guy? I mean he's always in the "control room" area when they're dialing in and out. Or is he more a "technical advisor?"

As for the DHD:
      It is far easier to have a real working DHD than a dailing computer. SG-1 has shown both pros and cons to having this set up. Certain situations gave the SGC an advantage. But certain events have put the SGC at a disadvantage, too. The gate was not designed to work without a DHD to begin with, so the fact that the SGC was able to jury-rig a working dialing system to begin with speaks volumes to the ingenuity of the SGC - not to mention Carter.

McKay as the Chevron Guy? Hmmm... that's interesting. But isn't he Atlantis's version of Carter?

Comment

There was that Asian-looking officer who manned the gate systems in a couple eps. Grodin is a PhD, so he seems a little to qualified to just do that.
        Rocky

Comment

To me, Grodin seems sorta like Chevron guy and Siler rolled into one. Keeps track of all the basic but essential things that are going on, and also fixes stuff when it breaks.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Aiden Ford
            I think the Atlantis DHD should actually be called the DHC, Dial Home Computer.
            they are not dialing home they are dialing out FROM home-it should be called a dialing computer(dc) like the one on earth
            MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
            I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

Well, that's true, but the "H" part is more of an homage to the original DHD than a symantically accurate name.
              Liaison of F.O.R.D.
              Click here to help Save Ford!

Comment

"DHD" sounds much better... do you want them to call it a DD (dialing device)?

Imagine O'Neill ordering Carter to "Get to the double dee and tell Hammond to send more turkey sandwiches for Teal'c!"... it's just not the same

Comment

that i HAVE got to see
                  MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                  I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                    DHD doesn't really stand for Dial Home Device anymore, though. It's just become the shorthand for a dialling device; like a walkman is any personal stereo or a hoover any vacuum cleaner.

It's sad really. I remember a time when the DHD name really meant something.
                    actually D.H.D. does stand for dial home device as G.D.O. stands for Garage Door Opener

for DHD and GDO go to
                    http://gateworld.net/omnipedia/technology/index.shtml
                    and look under D and G

Comment

Originally posted by the adventurer
                      Wouldn't the DHD be a Dial Out Device (DOD), if they're using it to travel out?

Cause.....that would make sense.

And for the record, the Earth Based Magyvered Dialing system is 100% more awsome then an automated DHD device. Why? Because the guys who Shout "Cheveron X Encoded" build the best kind of suspence.
                      ya but dont forget the atlantis dialing computer is unique from the rest of the dialing devices in pegasus and MW it is just like the SGC's computer but allows for "quick dialing" (see "D.H.D." at http://gateworld.net/omnipedia/technology/index.shtml) the rest of the DHD's in pegasus are difrent than what atlantis uses so they can still call them DHD's

Comment

I always thought of grodin as being Atlantis' chevron guy. After all, he does usually sit behind the main console in Atlantis.

however, earths gate dials the old fashioned way, since it works using the dialing computer which carter designed, (I think it was carter, anyhow) and goes slowly, as opposed to having a DHD which could simply do it in a matter of seconds.

This actually calls into question whether it would be possible to dial manually from the pegasus gates, as these don't appear to have an inner track that spins, instead, some cool LED lights on the gates.

Comment

THts what the laser pointer is for.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                            Hmmm, thats not a bad idea, but they have a dial device. Its like instant now. On Earth they have to wait for a full rotation of the gate inorder to get to the symbol they want, thats why they call them aloud.
                            The Ancients gates and DHD's in the Pegasus galaxy is kinda like touch tone dialing. Punch a number and it's ringing before you know it. The gates in our galaxy are like pulse/rotary dialing . . . it takes a heckuva long time to turn that ring around to the correct number/symbol.

Comment

Working...
                            X