Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I noticed is that the 9 chevrons were always lit up on the sapce-gate, so it's probably not a production goof. Even when the gate was inactive. It might have been from the light emitted by the nearby sun, although it didn't look like it, Or the lights might just be used as beacons in space so the gate's easier to find when it's pitch black. They might even be used to show which side is up, although all the lights looked the same to me. Imagine the Jumper going through upside down and ripping up the atlantis floor.
    My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Never thought of that upside down thing.
      *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
      McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

The gate should be spinning non-stop. That would make reentry alot more interesting Never know which side is up and down

Comment

The gate had something attached to it, a little rocket or something, didn't it? It could have been feeding a signal to the gate that said 'keep all 9 chevrons lit'
          sigpic

Comment

I always thought after you dialed and the 7 chevrons locked, all nine chevrons lit up when the wormhole was established.

And I seriously want to see Sheppard fly in upside down once, just to see his reaction.
            *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
            McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Forgive my obtuseness, but how was a gate misused in "Children of the Gods"? The only thing I can think of offhand is how Apophis left the Earth gate without a DHD, but I just figured that it had enough energy left to dial out again (confirmed later in the series) and he ordered his Jaffa to dial out manually.

Comment

Originally posted by Yu Huang Shang Ti
                Forgive my obtuseness, but how was a gate misused in "Children of the Gods"? The only thing I can think of offhand is how Apophis left the Earth gate without a DHD, but I just figured that it had enough energy left to dial out again (confirmed later in the series) and he ordered his Jaffa to dial out manually.
                That damned manual dialing out thing is always a pain. If we could just manually dial out, why bother with the supercomputers calculating planetary shift? Or drift....or something....
                Last edited by Mio; 20 July 2004, 05:28 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

I havent read through all 11 pages but dont all 9 chevrons light up anyway once the dial out is complete even on the earth gate. I know you cant see the bottom two chevrons normally because of the ramp and on other planets the last two chevrons are underground but I am sure in the episode where they took a stargate from the tok'ra base and dialed the blackhole world they sent it out into space and all 9 chevrons were lit or am I mistaken?

Comment

SPOILER WARNING

There's still some debate about it but in one episode (I forget it now) they launch a stargate into the sun. When the stargate leaves teh hanger bay, it only has 7 chevrons lit. In the last shot of it flying into the sun, it appears as if all nine are lit, however, some argue that it is just being close tot eh sun and the light from the sun is being seen shining through the "jewels" of the nine chevrons.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                      SPOILER WARNING

There's still some debate about it but in one episode (I forget it now) they launch a stargate into the sun. When the stargate leaves teh hanger bay, it only has 7 chevrons lit. In the last shot of it flying into the sun, it appears as if all nine are lit, however, some argue that it is just being close tot eh sun and the light from the sun is being seen shining through the "jewels" of the nine chevrons.
                      Exodos. End of season 4.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                        Exodos. End of season 4.
                        Thank you, I was too lazy to look it up again.

Comment

I just checked the end part of Atlantis where they go back through the gate and I noticed that the blue chevrons are lite up on both the back and front of the gate but on numerous episodes of SG-1 only the chevrons on the front of the gate light up so that is another difference between the Atlantis gates and the SGC gate but then the chevrons never lite up at all in the film so maybe its just no of those things they hope you wont notice lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                            That damned manual dialing out thing is always a pain. If we could just manually dial out, why bother with the supercomputers calculating planetary shift? Or drift....or something....
                            Easy.

Apophis knew that his address was valid, because he probably just came from there. No planetary shift calculations necessary if the address is ten minutes old instead of ten thousand years.

Comment

Originally posted by Yu Huang Shang Ti
                              Easy.

Apophis knew that his address was valid, because he probably just came from there. No planetary shift calculations necessary if the address is ten minutes old instead of ten thousand years.
                              Err. Yeh, there's planetary shift.

There is shift from the point where the 6 symbols point to.
                              sigpic

Comment

Just to clear things up there's two things that need to be compensated for.

1. Planetary drift. very slowly the Planets, stars and other things are moving away from each other. Say for example symbol x represented an actual location with a value of 1,1,1. After millions of years it would represent say, an actual location at 3,6,8. The DHD's automatically compensate for this and every once in a while(I'm not sure how often) they spread the new locations amongst themselves.

This is my interpretation, not actual fact. I see the DHD as connecting to a remote gate and updating the co-ordinates in the actual gate itself, not the Gate's DHD.

2.Out-of date addresses
                                During COTG daniel stated he tried dialing several of the addresses on the cartouche with a gate connected to a DHD. None worked. The DHD did successfully update the the Co-ordinates of the symbols (in theory). Why didn't the addresses work then?, but Apophis's did? This was because the addresses themselves on the cartouche were no longer valid. Say at one point Symbols ABCXYZ represented 1,1,1 2,2,2 3,3,3 etc. now they represent 1,2,2 3,5,6 3,4,8 etc. The location of the planet will most likely not be in the intersection point, if they intersect at all. So the address has to be changed to ASDFGH. The Goa'uld have to update their planets address list over time, but probably very rarely. This is how the SGC computer generated 2-3 new addresses every month in the beginning.

Why would the DHD compensate for planetary drift then you ask. It merely slows down how often you need to recalculate gate addresses. If it didn't compensate it's likely that once the gates drifted out of position there would be no way to dial them at all.

Now here is a theory that hopefully clears up everything and proves that manual dialing should work. And it doesn't require the DHD to send "actual co-ordinates" along with the symbols.
                                My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Working...
                                X