Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ That's what I thought but others say different.

I was thinking about it. If the Atlantis gate has different icons on it than the Earth one than how can we dial home? You can't dial a phone number if there is no numbers and you can't dial a gate if the symbols are different.
    It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Well the inner track isn't the usual spinning disc, it's made up of a light pattern to represent the glyphs... maybe the symbols can change on the Atlantis gate, like a monitor?
      "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

That would be cool. You select what symbol set you want on the gate to go to any address! Cool
        __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
          That would be cool. You select what symbol set you want on the gate to go to any address! Cool
          Dr. Weir: Dial the gate!

Person with no name hitting buttons: I'm sorry ma'am, but the gate is refusing any address.

Dr. Weir: Wait. Is that a smiley face?
          sigpic

Comment

Hehehe! I totally agree
            __

__

Comment

Originally posted by David85
              ^^^ That's what I thought but others say different.

I was thinking about it. If the Atlantis gate has different icons on it than the Earth one than how can we dial home? You can't dial a phone number if there is no numbers and you can't dial a gate if the symbols are different.
              How could you dial anywhere in Pegasus with Milky Way constellations? The gates HAVE to have Pegasus constellations or they wouldn't be able to dial within the Pegasus galaxy, or they'd have to use 8 symbol addresses all the time (though using much less power). 6 symbol destinations use the intersection of 3d spaces between 3 pairs of constellations to narrow down an area to dial (since planets move and a point system would be in a constant state of change). 7 symbol destinations use the 3 pairs to determine an area while the 7th tells in to go in that direction a certain distance. Which means 8 symbol destinations (all 9 cheverons) would logically represent distances too large to be represented by 1 symbol (kinda sucks the mystique right out of cheveron 9, eh?). The Atlantis team would have to use 8 symbols to get back to Earth, the address most likely located in the Ancients dialing computer (since the Ancients seem so fond of Earth).

Unfortunately the phone metaphor only works so well, but it's not too bad.
              Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

The DHD's are cool but I was hoping that they would be different from the normal DHD's not just blue.

Comment

Maybe they'll find a "newer", Ancient speed-dial device. Or one that does call-waiting or macro-dials planets with a single press of a button!
                  Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                  more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                    How could you dial anywhere in Pegasus with Milky Way constellations? The gates HAVE to have Pegasus constellations or they wouldn't be able to dial within the Pegasus galaxy, or they'd have to use 8 symbol addresses all the time (though using much less power). 6 symbol destinations use the intersection of 3d spaces between 3 pairs of constellations to narrow down an area to dial (since planets move and a point system would be in a constant state of change). 7 symbol destinations use the 3 pairs to determine an area while the 7th tells in to go in that direction a certain distance. Which means 8 symbol destinations (all 9 cheverons) would logically represent distances too large to be represented by 1 symbol (kinda sucks the mystique right out of cheveron 9, eh?). The Atlantis team would have to use 8 symbols to get back to Earth, the address most likely located in the Ancients dialing computer (since the Ancients seem so fond of Earth).

Unfortunately the phone metaphor only works so well, but it's not too bad.
                    No. The symbols are worthless. The glyphs are, imho, only used as a visual representation.

Every glyph is probably assigned a number. We do it, it would make sense for the ancients to do it, as the DHD program probably interprets numbers, not symbols. We use ASCII, the only ASCII code I can remember at the moment is 34, or: "

Of course, the ancients probably use Octal numbers (fifth race)...but that is irrelevent to my point.

Someone dials up 7 numbers, the DHD sees:

36, 28, 3, 12, 2, 7, 39

Ok, 39 is the PoO.....we dial

Someone dials 8, we see:

36, 28, 3, 12, 2, 7, 14, 39

Ok, We see 8. Let's check the built in database of Galaxies. Hmm, Galaxy 14 (symbol 7). Ok, so let's see what 36-28-3-12-2-7 in Galaxy 14 is....Kawoosh, open wormhole.
                    Last edited by Mio; 19 July 2004, 12:11 PM. Reason: Typo.
                    sigpic

Comment

Nice figures!
                      __

__

Comment

I have way too much free time on my hands :\
                        sigpic

Comment

I agree. A little too much
                          __

__

Comment

So, building on Hewlett's comment that the DHD is great for keeping coffe warm, do you think they'll make it to the Java Galaxy?

Do the gate addresses include Decaf? Expresso? Latte?
                            "You're creepin' me out, Mc Kay." Carter

Comment

lol It may be possible
                              __

__

Comment

I still think they need caller id on the gates. Or at least some way to tell where an incoming wormhole is coming from.
                                The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Working...
                                X