Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zee PM or Zed PM, how do you pronounce it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
    Someone once told me that Americans used to say 'zed' until Sesame Street changed it so that it rhymed. I believed it for years.
    wait, you mean it's not true??!!?

Comment

im english and we say both!

No, we don't.

Comment

I'm Canadian, I avoid all of this controversy, I just call it a Zero Point Module.

Owen Macri

Comment

It' s the same in Scotland, we sometimes say both....and yes we like to be akward!

SpookyBunny

No one would suspect the bunny.
          The hills are alive with the sound of......squee!.

Comment

As far as "kree" goes, sometimes I hear a rolling of the tounge when some evil goa'uld says it. Other Goa'uld don't roll their tounge...

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
              I'm Canadian, I avoid all of this controversy, I just call it a Zero Point Module.

Owen Macri
              Heh heh...

The only place I've ever heard 'Zee' used in Ireland / England (I come from Ireland, I live in England) is in a classroom when nursery / infant school teachers are teaching kids their ABCs and doing spellings. And I've noticed a ah-buh-cuh-zee habit that teachers try to put into kids, after parents have spend a couple of years from birth teaching their kids correctly, is quickly broken by parents who insist their kids spell words out ay-bee-cee-zed...or their won't sign off their homework (my stepdad flatly refused to heard my step-sister's spelling until she spoke the alphabet properly, as he and his ex-wife had taught her originally).

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
              "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by Willow
                im english and we say both!

No, we don't.
                lmao

Owen Macri

Comment

See this thread Zed PM or Zee PM

The link no longer works as the 2 threads have been merged
                  Last edited by Qasim; 21 April 2005, 09:02 AM.
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

saying Zed compared to Zee is pretty much part of the canadian accent (and the rest of the english speaking world). I just call it a Zero Point Module, it would be hard for anyone to argue that. As for you saying that they changed the sound of the letter, actually americans changed the sound of the letter and are pretty much the only people on the planet that say Zee, other than people who choose to say Zee instead of Zed for other reasons.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                      See this thread Zed PM or Zee PM
                      Just read that thread and I must say it provided 20 minutes of hilarious, but ridiculous reading. My very favorite kind

Comment

just an fyi, i merged these two zpm threads
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The thing with "zee" is that it makes you sound stupid, in the same way as pronouncing the letter "u" you as "oo" in a word, or speaking with a midlands accent.

Also driving on the right is a Catholic thing, and those of us in Britain or its former colonys, or its currently oppressed colonys drive on the left because of Henry VIII.

Also its more likley that "zee" came about the same way as "Jie" (rhymes with eye) replacing "Jay" in Glasgow.

Comment

Also driving on the right is a Catholic thing, and those of us in Britain or its former colonys, or its currently oppressed colonys drive on the left because of Henry VIII.

*wonders what he had to do with driving*

Comment

Go back to page 2, someone said,

"Completely off topic, do you know why the British and we here in Australia and many other places drive on the left? It's a hang up form medival times. knights on horse back during jousting tournaments would rid up with on the left side of the barrier. They could then do their jousting thing. often the joust broke meaning they had to use their sword to finish the job, so they again ride up on the left side, holding their sword in their right hands, if the person coming towards you is on the right of you it was easier to strike them with your sword. This then carried over to normal horse back sword fights away from teh jousting arena. The knight would hold his shield (or reigns) in his left hand and his sword in his right. Swings your sword to your right therefore was much easier than having to reach across your body. How left handed sword holding knights dealt with it I'm unsure - maybe they got on some boats and headed off to the new world."

hense me correcting them.

Comment

Still doesn't explain the Henry VIII connection

Comment

Working...
                                X