Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zee PM or Zed PM, how do you pronounce it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alyssa
    In Victoria, where I live:

Kindergarten (this is preschool 3/4 year olds)

Primary School
    Prep (4/5 year olds)
    Then years 1-6

Secondary College
    Years 7-12
    (some are broken up into Secondary College for years 7-10 and Senior Secondary College for year 11 and 12, but this is rare)

University. (those who either don't get the marks to get into Uni or who want to go into a trade end up at a TAFE College)
    I thought I'd confuse some Americans because that's always fun. I'm also Australian. I say zed normally. I do sometimes accidentally say zee p m because that's how it's said a lot on stargate.

I divide my time between Queensland and New South Wales.
    Schooling in QLD involves preschool (though I think they're bringing in Kindy), primary school 1-7, high school 8-12. Plus we have TAFE/Uni after highschool. I went to a preparatory school during yr6-7 and my friend went to a college through part of highschool.

I go to university in New South Wales and I live at college. So I have confused Americans about that in the past. So to me a college is also a name for a dorm to me.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamkeeper
      I thought I'd confuse some Americans because that's always fun. I'm also Australian. I say zed normally. I do sometimes accidentally say zee p m because that's how it's said a lot on stargate.

I divide my time between Queensland and New South Wales.
      Schooling in QLD involves preschool (though I think they're bringing in Kindy), primary school 1-7, high school 8-12. Plus we have TAFE/Uni after highschool. I went to a preparatory school during yr6-7 and my friend went to a college through part of highschool.

I go to university in New South Wales and I live at college. So I have confused Americans about that in the past. So to me a college is also a name for a dorm to me.
      That's right! Student hostels/accomodation at Uni are called Colleges.
      Do they still say 'grade' right through to year 12 in Queensland? My cousin grew up in Queensland and said 'grade 12', while we say 'year 12' in Victoria.

Comment

Originally posted by Render
        where did the split originate fromk, cuz i hate to break it to you guys, but america is the only country that traditionally pronounces it in tht manner

and another thing please pronounce lieutnenant correctly
        Interesting! The guy who was hosting the convention in Melbourne was pronouncing it the way we do here -- 'leftenant' instead of the American way when he was introducing RSF. No-one said anything about it, I guess because that's the way we say it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
          Maybe this well help.

Basically a college can be a community college or a four year college that offers a bachelor's degree but no higher. Four year because many if not most community colleges offer technical type training and often offer an associates degree for some fields as well. Some people also go to a community college to get their first two years in as they're typically MUCH cheaper than a 4 year college or university.
          A university offers both graduate (bachelors) and post graduate (masters and phd) degrees and typically are made up of several specialized colleges for different fields.

Freshman = 1st year of high school or college/university
          Sophmore = 2nd year of high school or college/university
          Junior = 3rd year of high school or college/university
          Senior = 4th year of high school or college/university
          Over here, our standard university degree (BA, BSc, etc.) is studied over three years. Eight units a year, which is eight different classes per year on average (although some subjects are worth point-5 of a unit -- when I was at Uni, I had 4 subjects one semester, but 6 the next, because of subjects worth point-5, which despite being worth less actually have the same workload)
          If you do a fourth year, it's honours (thesis).
          There's actually a uni in Queensland (Bond University) which offers a three year degree over two years, which means a much heavier workload.

Comment

Originally posted by Caylynn
            Here in Canada, if someone says they are "going to college", that means they are attending a community college, which are diploma programs. You don't get a degree from a college.

If you are attending university in Canada, that means an institution that grants degrees. So if I'm going to Carleton University, the University of Guelph, etc., I say I'm "going to university". Upon graduation, you'll have a degree of some sort - B.A., B.Sc., B.A.Sc., B.Eng., B.Sc.(Eng.), or, at the graduate level, M.A., M.Sc., M.A.Sc., and then, after a Masters, you can go on to do a Ph.D.

In Canada, if you are "going to college", you aren't attending a university, so to us, it makes no sense to say you are "going to college", if, in fact, you are a student at a university.

After high school, you can either enter the workforce, or go to a Community College, or a University.

Community colleges offer programs in the various trades (carpenter, electrician, etc.), in health care (dental assistant, dental hygenist, veterinary techician, paramedic), etc.

Universities offer degree programs - Bachelors degrees, followed by Masters degrees (if desired), followed by PhDs (if desired). Some universities also offer degrees in medicine, veterinary science, or law.

Colleges and universities are two totally different types of institutions, and you would never, ever say you were going to college if you were a student at a university.
            Replace the term 'Community College' with TAFE College (the TAFE stands for Technical and Further Education), then that's exactly the split you get here.
            A college is either somewhere for a technical trade or to study units that would count towards getting you into Uni, or accomodation that one stays in while at Uni.

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
              See that is another thing I was talking about earlier, matching pronunciation and spelling. Let us look at the word lieutenant and see if we can find an 'f'. *looks carefully* hmm it doesn't seem to be there. LIEU is pronounced LOO, therefore we are saying the word how it is spelled. Plus this isn't just something we differ on. While Canada and New Zealand traditionally use the "f" sound, Britain and Austrailia pronounce it "l'tenant". So we're not the only ones speaking differently. However we are the only ones saying it how its spelled.
              Well, there's no "R" in "Colonel", yet both Americans and Canaidan pronounce it "Kur-nel" and not "Col-o-nel" or "Co-lon-el". By your logic, Americans should pronounce it differently, since there's no "R" in Colonel. So, your logic just doesn't hold up.

So why shouldn't we (Canadians) pronounce "Lieutenant" as "Leftenant"?
              Proud Canadian and army wife!

Comment

Over here, our standard university degree (BA, BSc, etc.) is studied over three years. Eight units a year, which is eight different classes per year on average (although some subjects are worth point-5 of a unit -- when I was at Uni, I had 4 subjects one semester, but 6 the next, because of subjects worth point-5, which despite being worth less actually have the same workload)
                If you do a fourth year, it's honours (thesis).
                There's actually a uni in Queensland (Bond University) which offers a three year degree over two years, which means a much heavier workload.
                Here you can get a general B.A. or B.Sc. after three years, and four years for an honours B.A. or B.Sc. but it requires additional courses during that fourth year.

Other degrees, like B.A.Sc., B.Eng., B.Sc.(Eng.), etc., are also honours degrees by default, and are four years.

From the University of Guelph (my alma matter for my undergrad degree in biological engineering):

The University of Guelph offers general and honours programs leading to the B.Sc. degree. The general program consists of a minimum of 15.00 credits (usually 30 semester courses) involving normally 6 semesters of study. The requirements for the honours program is a minimum of 20.00 credits (usually 40 semester courses) which may be obtained over 8 semesters of study. Some majors may require more than 20.00 credits.

The University of Guelph offers general and honours programs leading to the B.A. degree. The General Program consists of a minimum of 15.00 credits requiring the equivalent of 6 semesters of successful full time study. The Honours Program consists of a minimum of 20.00 credits requiring the equivalent of 8 semesters of successful full time study.

The University of Guelph offers an 8 semester (20.00 credits) honours program leading to a Bachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc.) degree.

B.Sc.(Eng.) To qualify for the degree the student must complete the courses required for a B.Sc. (Eng.) program, obtaining a minimum of 23.50 credits and must achieve an overall minimum cumulative average of at least 60% and a minimum cumulative average of at least 60% in all ENGG courses.
                Proud Canadian and army wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Caylynn
                  Well, there's no "R" in "Colonel", yet both Americans and Canaidan pronounce it "Kur-nel" and not "Col-o-nel" or "Co-lon-el". By your logic, Americans should pronounce it differently, since there's no "R" in Colonel. So, your logic just doesn't hold up.

So why shouldn't we (Canadians) pronounce "Lieutenant" as "Leftenant"?
                  *Sigh* Please, please, please read all of a person's posts before replying. If you note my earlier posts, I make it clear that I am aware that there are still inconsistencies in the American-English spelling and pronunciation, Colonel is an excellent example of that. My point was that in the case of Lieutenant, we match spelling and pronunciation more closely than those of other countries. Plus many people keep pointing out that Americans speak English differently than everyone else in the world, and I was using Canadians as an example of how we are not the only ones who talk different than the British.

I also made it clear that I have no problem with the way other nations speak English, I am merely trying to defend against what seems to be a never-ending attack on the American form of English.

So my logic does hold up if you read all my posts.

Comment

As if American English was not confusing enough, try learning street slang in the inner cities of the major cities in the states.
                    Now that can get confusing!
                    All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                    Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                      As if American English was not confusing enough, try learning street slang in the inner cities of the major cities in the states.
                      Now that can get confusing!
                      Don't know, it's hard enough here.
                      srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

I spent 10 whole days in England on a vacation and I picked up the English style relatively quick.

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
                          I spent 10 whole days in England on a vacation and I picked up the English style relatively quick.
                          I feel sorry for you then
                          srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

I actually hard a harder time coming back to the states, my wife said I was driving her all 6's and 7's because I would not stop talking proper.

Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                              See that is another thing I was talking about earlier, matching pronunciation and spelling. Let us look at the word lieutenant and see if we can find an 'f'. *looks carefully* hmm it doesn't seem to be there. LIEU is pronounced LOO, therefore we are saying the word how it is spelled. Plus this isn't just something we differ on. While Canada and New Zealand traditionally use the "f" sound, Britain and Austrailia pronounce it "l'tenant". So we're not the only ones speaking differently. However we are the only ones saying it how its spelled.

Where do you get that Australia and Britain say "l'tenant"? I've lived in both countries, and we say "leftenant". Have you actually been to NZ, Aus, UK and Canada????

Comment

Where do you get that Australia and Britain say "l'tenant"? I've lived in both countries, and we say "leftenant". Have you actually been to NZ, Aus, UK and Canada????
                                I wonder there leutenant actually came from as others use leftenant.
                                srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Working...
                                X