This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cafine_us
    Yeah, it's a different actress. I think the Weir of SGA, Torri Higginson, has more presence than the one from Lost City, Jessica Steen, so the change I'm ok with, although it would've been better if they'd used TH from the beginning.
    I was disappointed when Jessica Steen was dropped from being Dr. Weir on SGA!. I did'nt paticulary like Torri Higginson as Dr. Weir, but after season I she Torri really grew on me, and she has turned out to be fanatstic!. She really plays Dr Wier with a realism and vulerability that makes her character very engaging and likable!.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
      I agree completely Bama. TH has made the character of Dr. Weir into a strong, believable leader and yet has maintained a sense, that underneath the strength, there is tenderness. JS would never have worked.....she was never believeable in the 2 episodes in which she appeared as Dr. Weir and I thought she was a bit "whiney".....but that's just my opinion.

Of the two, TH, hands down, the BEST choice!
      Ditto for me. JS seemed to play Weir with a more immature, whiny, insipid tone that didn't sit well with me. Now that Weir is a major character, TH is doing a great job making her a strong, believable, wonderful personality to watch. I don't know if the difference for me was in the acting or the writing. Meh...TH is definitely my favorite.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Hello just saying few thing real quick. The first ep I ever saw was 'rising' so i've always known torri to be weir and then i finally saw lost city about a mnoth ago and honestly JS just didn't seem weirish, you know? I mean maybe the actress might be good with other stuff (never seen her before) but she just didnt cut it with this role and im glad we have torri. I think she has done an amazing job with everything she has had to work with and she can actually act (ive seen some of her other stuff, so trust me when i say the woman can act) and she's gorgeous and funny and well i just happen to be one of her biggest fans. Anyway, i thought she did an amazing job with this weeks ep and she stole the show and so deserves that nomination she got.
        McKay: I'm invulnerable!
        Weir: Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?
        McKay: In-vul-ner-able.

McKAY: I'm not crazy -- I just have another consciousness in my brain.

First icon made by Cathain Nottingham and last 4 made by ToasterOnFire
        My LJ My Fanfic My Homeschooling Blog

Comment

Originally posted by weirfan517
          Hello just saying few thing real quick. The first ep I ever saw was 'rising' so i've always known torri to be weir and then i finally saw lost city about a mnoth ago and honestly JS just didn't seem weirish, you know? I mean maybe the actress might be good with other stuff (never seen her before) but she just didnt cut it with this role and im glad we have torri. I think she has done an amazing job with everything she has had to work with and she can actually act (ive seen some of her other stuff, so trust me when i say the woman can act) and she's gorgeous and funny and well i just happen to be one of her biggest fans. Anyway, i thought she did an amazing job with this weeks ep and she stole the show and so deserves that nomination she got.
          Yay for Dr. Weir! She finally got an amazing episode this week (best since "The Storm"/"The Eye" IMHO), and totally stole "Conversion" from Sheppard. Love ya TH!

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
            Yay for Dr. Weir! She finally got an amazing episode this week (best since "The Storm"/"The Eye" IMHO), and totally stole "Conversion" from Sheppard. Love ya TH!
            Can I just second that notion? Her presence in this episode was beautiful and graceful and just *damn* amazing. Go TH!

Wanna sig? Ask me. I'll probably make you one.
            I would also like it noted that in The Long Goodbye,
            Spoiler:
            Weir asked John to be her husband, and he said yes!! HA!!! LOL!

Comment

Folks, this is so unfair for Jessica Steen. As some people have already pointed out, Steen has been given only 2 episodes - and don't forget her Dr. Weir was a diplomat who had just realized the magnitude of the truth and just been given command of a military organization - while Torri Higginson has been given a full season and a half so far, who in the storyline have had enough time to familiarize herself with what she is dealing with!
              If, this is just an IF, Higginson were given the job from the first place - that being the episode 'Lost City' - she, as Dr. Weir, might have been required to respond (act) the same way Steen did in 'Lost City.'
              If you doubt Steen being capable of acting sharp or portrayed as a leading figure, I must say, at least, that she knows how to snap. Do you guys remember the movie 'Armageddon' back in 1998? And do you remember the co-pilot of the surviving shuttle, Jennifer Watts who was nailing down on Bear in Zero-G briefing? She didn't look much pansy or wimpy there.
              Now that Higginson is stuck with the character and doing her job very well, I have no problem with that. Kudos to Higginson. But at the same time, I would have really liked to see Steen playing Dr. Weir in Atlantis, too.
              Although I think the 'the second blonde in the show being repetitive' hypothesis suggested before is quite plausible, I really wonder why such a big change occurred - for the sake of continuity! I wonder whether it was on the actress' side or the producer's, or some contractual matter got in the way. It is just regrettable that Steen hasn't got a chance to get our collective affection world-wide.

Comment

I posted some of this before, but I feel a need to chime in here...

I have to agree with DeltaEagle that some of the comments here are being very unfair to JS (and some are just downright harsh. Jeez.)

Now, I may be a bit bias because I'm a fan of Jessica Steen. I've liked her in everything I've seen her in. I loved her in Homefront and Earth 2 and I thought she did a good job on SG-1. In JS's defense, when Weir was introduced, she was in a complete fish out of water situation. And she acted like it. Of course Weir, as a character, would grow more comfortable with her role given time and experience... and she has. But 2 episodes was not enough time for JS to thoroughly establish a character. Look how long it took Torri to get there. And I'm not saying Torri is doing a bad job. I'm saying the character needed time to grow and Torri was the one given the time to develop the character. I really have no doubt that had she continued on in Atlantis, JS would have done well, even though the dynamic would have probably been very different.

Having said all that, I'm also of the mind now that Torri owns the role. She came in during New Order and made the part hers. JS had the character for 2 eps. Torri's been there over a year now, so of course it would be hard to see Weir played by anyone else at this point. And I, for one, am thoroughly enjoying what she's doing with the role.

Still, I'm really hoping to see Jessica get a good role in series TV again. If that's the direction she wants to go, of course.

~cp

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                  I believe the original plan was to have Woolsey in charge of Atlantis but when they changed their minds to Weir - JS didnt want to do a full series
                  Woolsey in charge of Atlantis ???
                  Oh man that would be turning Atlantis into Voyager and we wouldnt want that now would we.
                  Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                    Woolsey in charge of Atlantis ???
                    Oh man that would be turning Atlantis into Voyager and we wouldnt want that now would we.
                    I love Woolsey's character and Robert Picardo does an amazing job with the role. But he definitely belongs back on Earth. We need him to keep an eye on Kinsey for us! Let Weir handle the Wraith!

Comment

Working...
                    X