X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Render
    why do you think they wont?

p.s. not that it matters with the daedalus around
    Its nice to have other ships that can travel fast.

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000
      Why would the puddle jumpers need hyperdrives? They go through the stargate...thats a much better method of travel. The bigger ships i am sure had hyperdrives.

I think he is referring to ships with hyperdrives, the PJs of course not, but other ships should, and as for the uncloaking of the PJ in the Defiant One the Wraith had the little remote control for the PJ
      why does McKay pronounce it Day-ta and not Data?
      Or why loootenant and not lieutenant?

Comment

This is just speculation, but there must be at least three classes of Ancient ships.
        1) PJ class- designed to go through the stargates and be used as scout/small transport ships.
        2) Warship class- the Ancients obviously fought the Wraith with another class of ship besides PJs as these are to small and few in number to be used singularly to fight Wraith hiveships and fleets.(Guessing the Ancients initially took the fight to the Wraith rather than wait in Atlantis and expect the Wraith to come to them on a planet with an advance defence satelite network and Atlantis' own defence weapons at the start of the 100 year war)
        3) Transport ship class- In "Before I Sleep" isn't it mentioned that an Ancient ship is destroyed carrying a 100 or so Ancients- definately not a PJ as they would be to small to carry that many. Also I know the Ancient built the stargates but they must have used a ship to put them across the Pegasus and other galaxies. Remember in "Moebius part2" the 'alternate timeline' Jack comments that PJs go through/in the stargate not the other way round.

Comment

Originally posted by pleed
          The wraith have the tech to 'uncloak' Ancients tech, see THE DEFIANT ONE - S1, when the tough wraith uses his little machine to uncloak SGA's puddle jumper.

that was the ancient scanner, he took it from the scientist who had a wierd name. and the scientist with the wierd name also stated that he told the wraith where the pj was

Comment

Originally posted by Acropolis
            that was the ancient scanner, he took it from the scientist who had a wierd name. and the scientist with the wierd name also stated that he told the wraith where the pj was
            Oh no offence but I wish you could have been a lil more descriptive because now im like damn who is he talking about. lol

Comment

when the wraith fead off of Dr Gaul he took the scanner and gaul told him where the pj was

Comment

Originally posted by tomchris45
                Well when you come out of hyper space you need time and space to decelerate (see SG1- Lost City Part 2),
                Yes but thats clearly dependent on your initial velocity. Subspace physics (at least in terms of Stargate wormholes) are that your realspace velocity is kept static while in subspace, but maintained when you emerge. Assuming this extended to subspace in general and not just wormholes, if you were zipping along at a good rate of speed before entering hyperspace, you will need space to slow down afterwards. If however you enter with very little initial velocity, you'll probably exit with very little as well. Certainly we’ve seen ships exit hyperspace with very little momentum such as Thors ship in ‘Revelations’.

Of course in Lost City II it was to Teal'c's advanced to maintain a high velocity to clear the danger zone of Anubis and his fleet as fast as possible. A moving target of course is much harder to hit them a slowly descending one. The tactic in fact looked successful enough that Her'ak only noticed them when they were approaching the Ancients Stargate / Outpost areas.

and assuming that the transport was a decent sized ship (bigger then the cargo ship in the lost city I'd have thought, may make decleration harder, particualrly near a planet, where you'll have the planets gravity pulling you down.
                A planet only imparts an acceleration of ~10 meters a second squared. Goa'uld Motherships have acceleration abilities in the hundreds of kilometres a second squares, fighters quite a bit more. I would expect that the Ancients are comparable...although the puddle jumpers are WAY slower then Death Gliders, so perhaps their sublight technology wasn't that impressive?

As for entering, might be summin like the size of the window required, small ships probably require small windows, where by ships like prometheus, may take away most of anything in the surrounding area, kinda like in Halo, when the covenant ship jumps to wotever they call it in halo, while inside the earth city. (Ok mixing sci-fi story lines probs ain;t a good idea but prooves my point )
                I understand what your saying, but Hyperspace windows clearly don't suck everything. Observe the F-302 inside Earths Atmosphere and the Replicator crab ship in New Order II. Their hyperspace windows didn't suck the atmosphere out around them or the trees or anything. I think the windows are in fact movement neutral, requiring a bit of force to pop through the realspace/subspace barrier.
                --
                The Stargate Technology Centre

Comment

Originally posted by Chris O'Farrell
                  Yes but thats clearly dependent on your initial velocity. Subspace physics (at least in terms of Stargate wormholes) are that your realspace velocity is kept static while in subspace, but maintained when you emerge. Assuming this extended to subspace in general and not just wormholes, if you were zipping along at a good rate of speed before entering hyperspace, you will need space to slow down afterwards. If however you enter with very little initial velocity, you'll probably exit with very little as well. Certainly we’ve seen ships exit hyperspace with very little momentum such as Thors ship in ‘Revelations’.

Of course in Lost City II it was to Teal'c's advanced to maintain a high velocity to clear the danger zone of Anubis and his fleet as fast as possible. A moving target of course is much harder to hit them a slowly descending one. The tactic in fact looked successful enough that Her'ak only noticed them when they were approaching the Ancients Stargate / Outpost areas.

A planet only imparts an acceleration of ~10 meters a second squared. Goa'uld Motherships have acceleration abilities in the hundreds of kilometres a second squares, fighters quite a bit more. I would expect that the Ancients are comparable...although the puddle jumpers are WAY slower then Death Gliders, so perhaps their sublight technology wasn't that impressive?

I understand what your saying, but Hyperspace windows clearly don't suck everything. Observe the F-302 inside Earths Atmosphere and the Replicator crab ship in New Order II. Their hyperspace windows didn't suck the atmosphere out around them or the trees or anything. I think the windows are in fact movement neutral, requiring a bit of force to pop through the realspace/subspace barrier.
                  Ok carther thanks for the science lesson!

Comment

where did u get this 80 different weapons and 5 different ships from anyway i never heard this on the show
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X