Captain America: The First Avenger Movie News/Spoilers/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Captain America' to be shot in UK?

A claim that The First Avenger: Captain America could be filmed in the UK has prompted speculation that Marvel character Union Jack features in the script.

According to Comic Book Movie, an operator of Independent Studio Services posted a message on Twitter which read: "Marvel films is considering filming Captain America in the UK, WTF!"

Marvel president Kevin Fiege has already been quoted as saying that the movie "will be one of the most international films Marvel Studios has done".

In addition to rumours that Union Jack, also known as James Montgomery Falsworth, might therefore appear in the film, there has been renewed speculation linking Tyrese to the role of Isaiah Bradley.

When he launched his comic book hero Mayhem, Tyrese told MTV News: "Instead of me sitting back and waiting on Luke Cage to finally happen - which I'm still looking forward to doing once they get the script together - and instead of me waiting on Captain America, which they were talking about me for, I'm going to create my own."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...hot-in-uk.html

Comment

'Captain America' to shoot in June

Production will reportedly start in summer 2010 for Marvel Studio's The First Avenger: Captain America.

Speaking to Fangoria, director Joe Johnston revealed that he's eying a June starting date for the comic book adaptation.

The film's title character is yet to be cast, but Avatar star Sam Worthington was recently linked to the role of Captain America.

Claims that scenes for the movie could be filmed in the UK have prompted speculation that Marvel character Union Jack features in the script.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...t-in-june.html

Comment

Wow, now Sam Worthington is in the mix? I wouldn't mind him playing Captain America.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
          Wow, now Sam Worthington is in the mix? I wouldn't mind him playing Captain America.
          after his inability to speak in a convincing american accent in Avatar, i say no. it's not Captain Australia!!
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

'Captain' movie 'set mainly in WWII'

Joe Johnston has revealed that the Captain America movie will be mainly set during World War II.

The director of the forthcoming Wolfman told Box Office Magazine that his Marvel Comics adaptation will centre on a frail soldier's transformation into a musclebound superhero.

Spoiler:
            "It is influenced by the comic book, but it goes off in a completely different direction," said Johnston. "It's the origin story of Captain America. It's mostly period - there are modern, present-day bookends on it - but it's basically the story of how Steve Rogers becomes Captain America. The great thing about Captain America is he's a superhero without any super powers. Which is why this story, among the hundreds of superhero stories, appealed to me the most."

Johnston added that he is planning to mix blockbuster set pieces with smaller character moments: "It's got some great action sequences in it and some incredible stuff that we've never seen before. But at the heart of it, it's a story about this kid who all he wants to do is fit in. This thing happens and he still doesn't fit in. And he has to prove himself a hero - essentially go AWOL to save a friend.

"Eventually at the very end, I don't want to give away to much, but he does fit in. But it's the journey of getting him there that's interesting. And it's a lot of fun."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...y-in-wwii.html

Joe Johnston Finally Talks About Captain America!

what can we discern from Joe Johnston's synopsis:

Spoiler:
            1. There are modern day bookends in the movie: Meaning that, while the bulk of the film will take showcase the WWII era, the beginning and end will take place in the present time. Could it possibly be Nick Fury searching for Cap at the beginning and him being thawed out of the ice at the end? Sounds like a direct lead-in to The Avengers movie!

2. During the midst of the film, Cap will have to go AWOL (Absent Without Leave, commonly known as desertion) to save a friend: The most likely mainstream candidates that come to mind are Bucky or possibly even Union Jack.

3. 'It's not going to be a Captain America that you expect. It is influenced by the comic book, but it goes off in a completely different direction': To me, this means the film won't favor one continuity. The most logical assumption is a 50/50 mix of the mainstream and Ultimate Marvel universes with a dash of originality added throughout to keep us all surprised.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=13782

Comment

Director Joe Johnston Gives More Info on Captain America

Speaking briefly about The First Avenger: Captain America, Johnston gives some insight into his directorial "instincts."

The following excerpt is from FilmJournal.com:
              "I've got my next job and I'm not going to worry about the success or the failure of the picture," says Joe Johnston. "I can only use my instincts and say, 'I think this is the best version of that scene. This is the best take. This is the best piece of music for this scene.' And I can't start second-guessing myself and thinking, 'What does the audience want to see? What does the studio think is the best solution for this?' You can't start doing that, because after a while it all becomes a blur and you forget what your original instinct was."

That "next job" is the much-anticipated The First Avenger: Captain America, featuring the Marvel Comics superhero created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby in 1940 for Marvel's forerunner, Timely Comics.

"We're in prep," Johnston says. "Rick Heinrichs is production-designing and we're set up down in Manhattan Beach [California]. It's the part of the process that I love the most," he enthuses. "We have eight or ten really talented artists, and we all just sit around all day and draw pictures and say, 'Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could do this?' It's that phase of the production where money doesn't matter: ‘Let's put all the greatest stuff up on the wall and [then later] see what we can afford.'" The film, he says at this early stage, will begin "in 1942, 1943" during World War II. "The stuff in the ’60s and ’70s [comic books] we're sort of avoiding. We're going back to the ’40s, and then forward to what they're doing with Captain America now."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=14397

Comment

Captain America casting coming soon!! Who'll be Cap??

We've got more about the upcoming The First Avenger: Captain America from director Joe Johnston, who now says that he'll be announcing a star very soon.

"We need to cast it soon," Johnston said. "We have a very short list, but we're still juggling actors here. I'd say within the next couple of weeks we'll have ourselves a Captain America, I hope."

As for who will actually play Cap, Johnston either ain't saying or can't yet say. Rumored actors include everyone from Will Smith to Aaron Eckhart to John Barrowman.

As for when the movie will shoot? Johnston said the movier is still "fairly early" in preproduction. Shooting won't start until the end of June, he said, "but we're getting ready to go to the U.K., it looks like."

continues:
                http://scifiwire.com/2010/02/captain...medium=twitter

Comment

Captain Jack as Captain America? Nah. That's like Brandon Routh as Superma... Wait. Never mind.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Will Smith as Captain America? God no. Not to sound racist or anything, but just no. I would no more want a black Captain America than I would want a white Blade.

Couldn't see Barrowman or Eckhart doing the role either.

sigpic

Comment

Marvel put out a series detailing the use of black guys as guinea pigs for the super soldier serum. Only one got the right formula and basically would have been a black Captain America but the military couldn't have that in the 1930s so the perfected serum was then given to the white guy. Will Smith is more than welcome to play that guy, but Cap's white. It's the way it is. It's like having a white Brother/Doctor Voodoo or an asian Luke Cage.
                      Last edited by nx01a; 03 February 2010, 06:51 PM.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I wouldn't want a race reversal, I could settle for Sam Jackson because it's "Ultimate Nick Fury" who is black and not the normal Nick, plus it's Sam Jackson. He's badass. I'd want him as Superman given the chance.

I didn't even like Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face in Batman Forever because he was white. I had never read the comic books so Harvey Dent was always black to me, from the Burton movies to the Animated Series. I was thinking "yeah, give it to the black guy when he's normal, but make him a starring villain and have to make him white, typical racist hollywood". Hey, I was like 14 at the time and didn't know better.

sigpic

Comment

Exclusive : Captain Awesome reads for Captain America

Captain Awesome for Captain America? Though he’s not going to be without competition (I imagine every young actor in Hollywood with a half-decent agent will get to read) “Chuck” actor Ryan McPartlin (yep, Captain Awesome himself!) tells Moviehole that he recently auditioned for the role of shield-wielding Steve Rogers.

In an interview to promote his work on “Chuck”, I couldn’t help but wonder whether McPartlin's peeps have put his name forward to “Captain America” director Joe Johnston for consideration (particularly since the actor has expressed interest in the part in the past).

And seems they have. “The one thing I can't stand are these actors that are twittering about auditioning for Captain America. It's really tacky. With that said, it is in the casting process and like many other actors, I read for it, so we'll wait and see what happens. Regardless, I'm pretty psyched to be Captain Awesome for the time being.”

McPartlin's terrific on “Chuck” – fastly becoming the break-out star of the show, in fact – and I tell ya, I wouldn’t be opposed at all to him acquainting himself with the Super Serum. Still, as McPartlin said, he's merely one of what one imagines to be a large mass of actors who have read for the role, and he hasn't got the gig. Yet.

http://www.moviehole.net/201023370-e...aptain-america

Comment

Red Skull Will Be The Villain In The First Avenger: Captain America

We finally starting to find out more about The First Avenger: Captain America. According to SuperheroHype, Ryan Rotten at ShockTillYouDrop attended a press conference with Joe Johnston for The Wolfman. Johnston confirmed that the Red Skull will be the villain that Captain America will have to fight.

Later Johnston told Rotten:

"Virtually the entire story except the bookends are in World War II because we all recognize we have one chance to tell the origin story of how he became Captain America, you can't tell a modern story and then go back and tell the origin story. If you're going to do it, let's do it. Let's do it first. Everyone wanted to tell an origin story. There was a version where it was a modern story and it didn't work."

Red Skull makes the most sense. Who else deserves to be the main villain in a Captain America movie? I wonder what he'll look like. Will he just have a mask on? Will they use CGI for his face?

http://www.comicvine.com/news/red-sk...merica/140339/

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                              Red Skull Will Be The Villain In The First Avenger: Captain America

We finally starting to find out more about The First Avenger: Captain America. According to SuperheroHype, Ryan Rotten at ShockTillYouDrop attended a press conference with Joe Johnston for The Wolfman. Johnston confirmed that the Red Skull will be the villain that Captain America will have to fight.

Later Johnston told Rotten:

"Virtually the entire story except the bookends are in World War II because we all recognize we have one chance to tell the origin story of how he became Captain America, you can't tell a modern story and then go back and tell the origin story. If you're going to do it, let's do it. Let's do it first. Everyone wanted to tell an origin story. There was a version where it was a modern story and it didn't work."

Red Skull makes the most sense. Who else deserves to be the main villain in a Captain America movie? I wonder what he'll look like. Will he just have a mask on? Will they use CGI for his face?

http://www.comicvine.com/news/red-sk...merica/140339/
                              Oh yes! Can't wait for Cap to be busting Nazi skulls.

Comment

Captain Indiana vs The Evil Nazis!
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X