X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 world mythologies 'Teen Wolf' Season 5 should explore

By Karen Rought, Hypable
    Jan 27th, 2015

"Teen Wolf" has explored various werewolf myths, and more recently they've also taken a look at different creatures from around the world. In Season 3B, we learned about the Japanese myth of the kitsune, a trickster spirit, and in season 4, we learned about the South American myth of the Nagual, the werejaguar.

We've gotten a few clues as to what will take place in "Teen Wolf" Season 5, but nothing that definitively tells us they'll be exploring a specific myth, let alone which one it could be.

Plus, with the introduction of that secret floor in Eichen House, who knows what new creatures could be popping up this year and which myths we may be exploring.

Still, we've got a few ideas that could fit into the tone of the show, which would be something new and exciting for the creators to work on.

1. Native American

We're going to start off with the most plausible option, and that's Native American lore. With the introduction of Malia and the potential of seeing her mother, we know that werecoyotes exist in the "Teen Wolf" universe. Although they're similar in a lot of ways to werewolves, there are some notable differences, and jumping feet first into Native American mythology could be the best way to further explore those distinctions.

While technically the South American legends are Native American in origins, we're moving away from Mesoamerica and heading north to look at how the coyote could be incorporated into the show based on myths native to what is now the United States. The coyote is often seen as a trickster, much like the kitsune, so we expect that Malia's mother could be a wily coyote (ba-dum tchhhh) who gives the group the runaround. We're not surprised Peter found someone like that quite intriguing. Besides, we've also seen a wendigo, which is also common to the native peoples of North America.

2. Greek

Greek mythology is a classic inspiration, and there are a variety of myths the creators could pull from and expand upon for Season 5. The Greeks explained everything by way of their gods, and although we doubt Zeus will be making an appearance on "Teen Wolf," it could be interesting to incorporate some of the lesser known deities into the show in a more realistic way.

One of the most popular wolf myths is that of Lycaon, who served one of his guests to Zeus to see if the god would be able to tell that it was human flesh. Zeus was appropriately angry, and transformed Lycaon into a wolf, as well as killed his 50 (!) sons. We've seen plenty of types of werewolves on the show, but what if the crew came up against a werewolf from the old world, one that had strength and power they'd never seen before? It'd certainly create some conflict.

3. Norse

The show has name-dropped a god from Norse mythology in the past, when Jennifer Blake gave her speech about mistletoe, but just as Greek mythology has a variety of myths "Teen Wolf" could pull from, so does Norse mythology. The Vikings were a violent group, and as the show delves deeper into the horror genre, we think exploring some of the more gruesome legends could make for interesting television.

Besides, what's a supernatural television show without an apocalypse? "Buffy" did it. "Supernatural" did it. Maybe "Teen Wolf" should try their hand at it as well. One of the most interesting (and terrifying) versions of the end of the world comes in the form of Ragnarök, where several high-profile gods like Odin and Thor were supposed to perish. As an added bonus, there's even meant to be a "wolf age" and the giant wolf god Fenrir wreaks some havoc.

4. Slavic

Eastern European folklore offers a lot of different twists on the more common myths we're familiar with today. This is because, in many cases, pagan traditions were intertwined with Christian customs, making for lore that has both familiar and unique elements to it.

Although we don't expect the "Teen Wolf" creators to add vampires to their roster any time soon, there are some interesting myths that surround the infamous creatures that could both tie in with the "Teen Wolf" universe and allow them to put their own spin on it. For example, vampires were often created when animals, dogs included, jumped over a dead body. More specifically, in Russian folklore, witches were said to be turned into vampires after they died as punishment for going against the Church. All of this could be wrapped up into one storyline that incorporated magic, zombies, werewolves, and vampires ... and we're pretty sure "Teen Wolf" would make it sound a lot cooler than we're making it out to be.

5. Hawaiian

Hawaiian mythology would be appropriate for several reasons. While Hawaii is no closer to California than California is to New York, it's at least on the right coast and wouldn't be a stretch if some of the folklore hopped a boat to the Golden State. Hawaiian mythology also puts an emphasis on the natural world, which could be interesting to combine with the Desert Wolf myth we're hoping to see in Season 5. It'd also be a great way to bring Danny back into the fold and explain how he knew about the supernatural world all along.

Of particular note is Hina, the goddess of the moon, who also is sometimes portrayed as a trickster spirit. Pele is also an interesting goddess, as she's associated with volcanoes and often depicted as quite powerful, passionate and jealous. Although California does have a handful of active volcanoes, it would probably be more believable to explore the more human characteristics of someone like Pele. Perhaps they could even incorporate Deputy Parrish's mysterious ability to withstand fire.

6. Hindu

Last, but certainly not least, is Hindu mythology. This is the lore from which Kali's name came, and we would love to see the actual mythology explored on "Teen Wolf." Because Hindu is such a widespread religion, there are an exhaustive amount of stories to pull inspiration from, with each one being a little different from the last according to which region the legend pulls from.

The Hindu religion is filled with an interesting mix of spirits, some worse than others, that would probably feel right at home on a show like "Teen Wolf." The Pisachas, for example, haunt battlefields or places where violent deaths took place, which could fit in nicely with Lydia's banshee powers. There are even other classes of demon spirits that are associated with violent deaths and the resurrection of corpses. Sounds like tons of fun, right?

Source: Zap2it
    sigpic

Comment

So far season 5 looks like it will be a good season. At least yesterday's episode was good! Anyone on this board still watch?
      sigpic

Comment

I do
        sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf season 5 has found its feet early on, delivering new awesome villains and dynamic storylines...

This review contains spoilers.

One of the things Teen Wolf struggles with is introducing new characters. Sometimes they can feel a little bit forced, and there's always a little chemistry difficulty when a new element is added to a cast we've been with for five seasons at this point. Liam was a little difficult last season, and Kira was (and continues to be) a little problematic from a chemistry standpoint. While Kira might not yet feel like she's fitting in, Liam seems to be adapting nicely to the Teen Wolf world, even if the character seems very different from the angry kid we were introduced to last year.

Liam, from a character standpoint, seems a little inconsistent. From last season's little bundle of rage to this season's bouncy, friendly, kind of fun Stiles Jr. is a bit of a big shift, but I've been thinking about it over the last day between the premiere and the second episode and I think I've figured out just what's going on with little Liam. Key word "little." He's a kid; even by high school standards, he's a child, unable to drive, unable to buy cigarettes, and not really able to do anything by himself, and now he's got a bunch of cool older friends who drive him around and go on fun werewolf adventures with him. I don't remember a whole lot about being 14, but I do remember how much having a good group of friends meant to me, even if my friends weren't nearly as attractive or furry as Liam's buddies.

While the long-term characters can be more difficult to mesh, Teen Wolf does a surprisingly good job with short-term characters. I'm thinking back to the introduction of Sean the wendigo and his torment at the hands of The Mute last season in the episode "Muted." This week's new edition, Tracy (Kelsey Chow), immediately makes a strong impression in the very creepy cold opening, as she lapses from a therapy session with Lydia's mom to a pretty vivid night terror involving creepy black crows and a skylight that just won't stay closed. That segues to a creepy steampunk grasping hand and an episode-long arc interspersed with the more traditional Teen Wolf makeouts, car trouble, and Stiles not trusting yet another teenage shape-shifter.

That's one of the highlights of the episode; we might not know much about Tracy, but we know all we need to know. She's having night terrors, and they're bleeding over into her day-to-day life in effective fashion. That's a credit to director Tim Andrew (who also did "Muted" last season) and to the design crew who put together the Dread Doctors. Something about that combination of leather, metal, and needles is naturally unsettling, and when the doctors jam a needle into Tracy's neck near the end of the episode, it makes the big reveal of just what's going on with her much more effective (and the creepy claw marks and dead birds by the skylight is going to kill skylight installations). It's a very propulsive story, in much the same way the Theo (Cody Christian) storyline is also getting really interesting in a hurry. Not that the show really needs another teenage werewolf at this point—Sherriff Stilinski makes a great point when he lays out just how infested with supernatural critters the town is—but I like that he's serving as a source of conflict for Stiles and Scott.

I also like that Stiles and Scott continue to have the strongest friend chemistry on television. Their disagreement, and the way that Stiles blows up when he flat-out tells Scott that he has to be cynical because Scott is too trusting, and even though we find out Theo's not who he seems to be pretty quickly in this episode, it's nice to see that even he can recognize the role Stiles plays in Scott's life. The two clearly need one another, and Jeff Davis does a great job at capturing that teenage friendship in his script. The Liam-Stiles pairing is going to be really fun, too, and Dylan Sprayberry delivers his laugh lines perfectly this week (I had to pause the TV to stop lauging at “I fell in a hole.”). I also kind of like that Scott's taking AP courses, as we've seen him work harder at school and while he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer (judging by Lydia and Kira's reaction to Scott being in AP classes, they'd agree), but it's nice character growth.

After the uneven but interesting first episode, it's nice to see Teen Wolf finding its stride pretty early on. This episode is a big improvement over the fun first episode, and with a combination of propulsive storylines, emotionally impactful writing, and awesome villains, well, this might be something of a return to the heights of the Evil Stiles, or at least a closer proximity to that than the wobblier but still entertaining season four. This is going to shake out in a very interesting way, I think. Cool villains really help that process along.

From Den of Geek
          sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf Season 6 Confirmed:
            MTV wants another bite out of Teen Wolf. The series is officially returning for season 6...

by Chris Longo

MTV’s Teen Wolf has made its presence felt at San Diego Comic-Con for six years now, which seems to be the lucky number. In a panel moderated by Kevin Smith, it was announced that the drama will be back for a sixth season.

Series creator Jeff Davis informed the crowd of the good news to wild applause from the Teen Wolf diehards. It’s becoming a tradition for the show to make these big announcements at SDCC, as they announced the season five renewal in San Diego this time last year. Joining Davis on stage were cast members Tyler Posey, Dylan O’Brien, Holland Roden, Shelley Hennig, Dylan Sprayberry and Cody Christian.

Teen Wolf, one of cable’s highest rated shows in the key adult demo, is currently just beginning its fifth season.

Source: Den of Geek
            sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf: A Novel Approach Review
              Teen Wolf season five continues to build a satisfying main plot, ratcheting up the tension and fun week on week...
              Review by Ron Hogan

This review contains spoilers.

I love it when an episode ends on a cliffhanger, then we go right into that very spot we left in the next episode. I don't like waiting around for closure; I want something immediate, and in the case of Teen Wolf this episode, I wasn't left wanting. Indeed, the “last week on” montage ended with Stiles getting grabbed, and then seamlessly the episode starts with Stiles after being grabbed by Donovan and his new toothy leech-like mouth-hand. It's an immediate shot of adrenaline, both for the viewer and for Stiles, who escapes his tormentor and saves his own life by breaking one of Scott McCall's only rules: Stiles killed Donovan. Sure, he killed him by dropping a bunch of metal pieces on him and impaling him, but he killed him nonetheless.

This serves as both a thrilling beginning—watching Stiles fight for his life is always great—and a suspenseful follow-up—while Stiles waits for the police to arrive and investigate the body while having a really impressive mental breakdown. Of course, when Beacon Hills' finest show up, there’s no body to be seen. In fact, the whole crime scene has been cleaned up and completely put back to normal, minus one tell-tale blob of blood left behind to let us know that it's not a figment of Stiles' imagination, but someone coming by to clean up the mess.

It's not just Donovan in the library with the steel bar, it's all over Beacon Hills. The animal hospital, where Tracy was being examined? She's gone. The morgue? The bodies are missing there, too. Someone's disposing of evidence and making these bodies disappear, but why exactly is Parrish covering up the piles of dead shape-shifters? And if the doctors are creating them and Theo is working alongside them, what is Parrish's role? Clearly he's involved somehow, if only as the clean-up man. The attack on Stiles is the kick-off point for the entire episode, as the alarm goes off at the animal hospital, rousing Scott and Kira from a sleepover. The three meet with Lydia and Malia concerning the Dread Doctors book, and there's only one clue: Dr. Valack. Time for a field trip to Eichen House!

I have to say, Dylan O'Brien remains the best weapon in Teen Wolf's arsenal. When it's time for Stiles to have his breakdown early in the episode, O'Brien sells it spectacularly, with a combination of great facial expressions and great physical work. Even his breathing sounds panicked and worried, and later on when Scott and Stiles discuss Kira's almost-killing of multiple chimeras, that guilt and panic over killing Donovan bubbles to the surface and helps create more tension between the eternal BFFs. Even when the four of them (the BFFs plus Kira and Lydia) go off to Eichen, the construction of the building forces the two to separate, leaving Stydia to square off with Dr. Valack while Scott and Kira slowly grow weaker due to the building's mountain ash content. If that doesn't scream “here come the Doctors” to you, then you're not paying attention.

Tim Andrew did a phenomenal job behind the cameras this week. O'Brien's performance was great, and the way that particular conflict was shot was awesome as well, kind of a throw-bask to the more horror-based first season of Teen Wolf, but with a guy who grows spontaneous mouths on his neck and hands (and who basically hangs out while impaled through the chest, which was a stunning visual). As if that wasn't enough, the appearance of the Doctors at Eichen House was even better, particularly the crane shot of the kids going through the gates starting at gate-top level then dropping down as they march up the stairs on the grounds, only to all turn at once when the gates clank ominously shut. When Kira's powers start to go haywire due to the interference of the ley lines under Eichen, the visuals only get cooler. Say what you want about how the show takes its visual cues from Highlander, Scott carrying Kira through the halls and out the door while she arcs and sparks fly behind them looked awesome.

The script was also very intricately constructed this week. The fact that Valack planted the clue in the book (that he wrote) isn't surprising, but the fact that the book was written to waken sleeping memories hidden by the Dread Doctors is going to power some very fun stuff later this season, especially when the gang actually starts reading the book. Angela Harvey also did a wonderful job of reminding us that Stiles and Lydia were almost a thing, and that Stiles' ability to see through people is both good (for Lydia) and bad (for him, as it seems that death after death is finally getting to his secretly sensitive soul). She also doesn't overdo the flirtation between Malia and Theo. It's clearly Theo being manipulative, since he gets the girl involved in a car accident behind the wheel of his Toyota Tundra and waits for the breakdown, but it also seems like actual flirtation. As for Stiles and Lydia, their scenes work because they're clearly not flirting with one another; the two love one another in that way that close friends do, and Stiles can't help but be protective of Lydia due to all they've been through together, even if Lydia does have a scream that can shatter plexiglass and free a possibly dangerous maniac with a hole in his forehead.

Not too far into season five and I'm really enjoying the way things are going thus far with the show. We're still in the building phase of the main plot, but Jeff Davis and company are making sure every episode has something happening, so rather than a slow climb, it's more of a plateau every week that continues to elevate tension. It's like an elevator; you're not really noticing you're going up, but all of a sudden you get off and you're on the top floor and three leathery pseudo-scientists with electricity powers are waiting for you. It's already been a fun ride; that's only going to get better.

Source: Den of Geek
              sigpic

Comment

Stiles seriously is my hero. I loved that he won that fight and killed the guy (not that I'm for murder) but that was badass! And a great episode opening. And what is with Parish moving bodies, I'm think he doesn't know that he is doing this.

Honestly the stuff with Scott and Kira bored me this episode. But Stiles (and Lydia) carried the episode.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                  Stiles seriously is my hero. I loved that he won that fight and killed the guy (not that I'm for murder) but that was badass! And a great episode opening. And what is with Parish moving bodies, I'm think he doesn't know that he is doing this.

Honestly the stuff with Scott and Kira bored me this episode. But Stiles (and Lydia) carried the episode.
                  I couldn't agree more! This episode was badass!!! Stiles was awesome...Dylan O'Brien is an awesome actor. While I love the other actors on Teen Wolf, I feel Dylan surpasses them by far with his acting ability. Holland Roden is also excellent!

I like how Scott pointed out that Stiles and Lydia can handle themselves even without supernatural powers.

It seems that each season of Teen Wolf gets better than the last...which is awesome! I wonder if Scott will go to college in season 6?
                  sigpic

Comment

I'd imagine that he will. I see him going to a community college that isn't that far away. But somehow they have keep Stiles there too. Since they are the heart of the show.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                      I'd imagine that he will. I see him going to a community college that isn't that far away. But somehow they have keep Stiles there too. Since they are the heart of the show.
                      This is true. I'm looking forward to the rest of this season!
                      sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf is getting a 6th season!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                          Teen Wolf is getting a 6th season!
                          I heard that. I'm not really that surprised since it gets good ratings. I just hope they can improve some of the writing lol.
                          sigpic

Comment

And now we wait until season 5B comes out.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yep
                              sigpic

Comment

All I can say is that season 5A has been kick-butt! This show started out well, and just when you think they're on top and can't do better...they prove ya wrong and out-do themselves!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X