Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teen Wolf season 3 episode 2 review: Chaos Rising Review
    Ron Hogan 11 Jun 2013

Ron has high hopes for Teen Wolf's third season based on this week's smart, funny episode. Here's his review of Chaos Rising...

This review contains spoilers.

Spoiler:
    3.2 Chaos Rising

Teen Wolf, despite the title, is actually a very smart show. Throughout the first season, it dropped all kinds of werewolf mythology knowledge both on the characters and on the viewing audience at home. We learned about mountain ash, how to contain werewolves in a circle of magical dirt, and now we learn about the properties of hecatolite, AKA moonstone. While it is not tied directly to werewolf mythology, the Ancient Romans believed that hecatolite was made from the actual light beams reflecting off the moon turned solid. They used it in jewellery and it was associated with lunar gods and goddesses. It also has light diffraction properties that give it its characteristic sheen and, in the Teen Wolf universe, keep werewolves from wolfing out during full moons.

I have no doubt that this new twist on werewolves, like most of the others in the show, springs from the mind of writer, executive producer, and creator Jeff Davis. The show isn't offering a traditional take on werewolves, and that's a good thing. It's got a harder edge than, say, Twilight's take on werewolves, but it's not going as far out as to the torment felt by, say, The Wolf Man. Being a werewolf in the Teen Wolf universe can either be awesome or terrible, depending on who you are, how good you are at controlling your lycanthropy, and the situation in which you wolf out.

It seems like every week Dylan O'Brien gets the best lines, though this week he's got a little competition in the form of Peter Hale's Ian Bohen. He's become the Stiles of the furry set, in the sense that he shows up and throws around some sarcastic, dry one-liners when he's not showing off his impressive array of alpha powers by probing Isaac's mind. Given Derek's seriousness, and the general seriousness of the idea of two people being trapped in a bank vault for months at a time, it's nice to have some comic relief from an unexpected source.

Another unexpected source of mirth is Russell Mulcahy. Always one of the most stylish visual directors working on television today, Mulcahy really helps to add to the jokes of the episode with some clever camera tricks (a slow-motion game of no-beer beer pong in Coach Finstock's class) and very clever transition to serve as a second punchline to an already solid joke. It's a nice transition, and one of the things the show does well - regardless of who writes or directs - is it doesn't step on its own punchlines. Most of the actors have good comic timing (especially Tyler Hoechlin, who is working himself into a pretty good straight man for Stiles and Peter) and the show goes out of its way to ensure the jokes land.

The show is clever and funny, at least when it's not surprisingly violent. The key seems to establishing both elements at the same time, and it's a thing that Mulcahy, Davis, and company have proven they can pull off. I had some reservations about the number of hanging threads at the end of the second season, but so far the show seems like it is doing a good job cutting those threads off (or at least revisiting them). It's still very early yet, but it looks like it's going to be another solid season ahead of us.

Source: Den of Geek
    sigpic

Comment

I liked this episode. I liked them working with Chris and the good side of Derek. I'm not sure what I'll think about him with the teacher until it starts. I do know that I hope that they don't do anything with Alison and Isaac since it doesn't make any sense for the characters and their history.

The best acted scene to me though was when Stiles reacted to the Heather's body. Dylan did a great job with it, and made it really believable. Someone mentioned how Scotts mom didn't comfort him, it looked like she was about to when the scene cut. So I'm under the impression that she did.

I didn't really care for the way they did the flashback, it would have been better if it picked up right where the scene ended, and when correlogically from there.

And as for Lydia, they really need her to start to figure out whats going on with her. And speaking of figuring stuff out, I liked how the sheif did call it something as appose to someone. I wonder if the girl is going to describe Derek, Isaac and Scott for being there, particularly Scott since he was the only one that she talked too.

Anyhow, good episode, I'm looking forward to next week
      sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf season 3 episode 3 review: Fireflies
        Ron Hogan 18 Jun 2013

Teen Wolf once again proves its horror chops with the aid of some hallucinations. Here's Ron's impressed review of Fireflies...

This review contains spoilers.

3.3 Fireflies

Spoiler:
        Tim Andrew has proven himself to be a really good television director during his time on Teen Wolf. It's easy to look at Russell Mulcahy and praise the look and feel of his episodes, but Andrew is definitely no slouch when it comes to generating tension and creating an overall feel for an episode. Set mostly at night, Andrew creates a great deal of tension during multiple scenes in the episode, but none more so than the very opening where the two adorable moppets are menaced by a rampaging, wolfed out Boyd. It's one of the better uses of horror on the show, matched only by the later scene of the girl in the tent hallucinating/being attacked by a horde of creepy, crawly insects. (Excuse me while I involuntarily shudder; bugs are an easy way to get my skin crawling.)

It's interesting the way Teen Wolf has come around to the horror elements of the programme. There are a lot of possible ways for any particular scene to go, from funny to tragic, and the show is careful not to be too predictable in how certain situations play out. I like that it is sparing with horror, making it more impactful when something tension-inducing happens. This week, a pair of rampaging werewolves are on the loose while people keep turning up dead left and right, and the show takes great pains to emphasize just how dangerous the situation is, even if the body count is a little low. The fact that three werewolves, all of whom are very powerful, and the most dangerous man in Beacon Hills are afraid of two people running through the woods in a rage shows how threatening Boyd and Cora are, and it provides a good use to get Chris Argent back and integrated into the plot - as well as showing off Scott's new-found cleverness by manipulating Argent into siding with Derek Hale.

Bringing Argent back into the show's fold adds an element of danger, and it helps focus Allison's upcoming storyline as well. As Argent goes through his list of werewolf goodies, telling Derek, Scott, and Isaac how best to track werewolves, how to set them up with false scents, how their body heat signature is higher than normal and can be more easily detected when they're on the prowl in wolf form, his comments are echoed by the actions of Allison. Truly, she is her father's daughter, and Argent's running commentary is very clever and very well written by Lucas Sussman. Ditto the intersecting between father and daughter Argent, a good idea rendered brilliantly by all involved.

I like the thing that Teen Wolf has been doing this season as it plays with ideas of perception versus reality. We've had multiple hallucination scenes. Bugs on a tent appear and disappear, shattered wine bottles drive one innocent into the arms of danger but disappear before the next person comes down the stairs. Provided the show doesn't get lazy, I like not being able to trust my own eyes; so far, they're good about making clear delineations between the character hallucinating and the non-hallucinating person.

Even Lydia, never one of the strongest characters on the show emotionally, is back to suffering fugues and finding herself entangled in terrible situations where she may or may not be seeing things. Holland Roden has something of a thankless character, akin to JR Borne's Argent, except that she's not the most likable of the bunch. Even with her more defensive moments, I still am feeling bad for the character because everything bad seems to happen to her (even Stiles is more capable of handling his situation, if only because he instantly detaches himself with a joke). However, you have to give it up to her for her impressive ability to scream. The close of last week's episode, the middle of this week's episode, and we have some Jamie Lee Curtis-level shrieking from Ms. Roden's leather throat.

The more problems that Teen Wolf's protagonists solve, the more problems they seem to raise. There's something at work here, no doubt due to Deucalion's machinations. We're going to see more of the sightless villain in future episodes, and if Lydia becomes his cat's paw, I hope she gets something out if it other than post-traumatic stress disorder and horrifying nightmares.

Source: Den of Geek
        sigpic

Comment

Teen Wolf Season 3 Episode 4 Trailer

sigpic

Comment

Has everyone died? I realized that I hadn't posted to this since the show started again. I'm really liking the show this year.

Spoiler:
            So we know that the chem. teacher is involved with these human sacrifice people in some way, as he said that he did what "they asked". And now the team coach had wolfsbane in his whistle. How did it ge there?

More mysteries.

Comment

I was surprised about the coach's whistle, especially since I don't really suspect him of anything (other than being a weird guy lol). Maybe someone is trying to frame him. I was surprised though that it wasn't just the hotel, because that would have made more sense, since it was creepy and known for suicides. I also thought that they were going to find three dead redshirt teammates (which they didn't).

As for everyone disappearing, yeah for a while it was just me and Ltcolcarter posting. And I didn't bump it up this week.
              sigpic

Comment

Is anyone else mad that

HUGE SPOILER DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LATEST EPISODE. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with the spoiler tag, I've tried a bunch of different ways, I don't know why it's not working for me. Sorry

[SPOILER] Derek's girlfriend is the druid? I mean COME ON. He finally got some love into his life and now it's gone, he can never catch a break. Cora better not die or it will be back to "cold, lonely, sad Derek" Meh. [SPOILER]

Ok, I'm done my rant now. Loving this season! What did you all think of the most recent episode?
                Just because something is unknown, does not necessarily mean that it needs to be feared. Trust yourself, and the rest will unfold. ~Teyla Emmagen~

Comment

I too was disappointed that she turned out to be the evil druid, because it seemed too obvious. I did like Stiles trying to explain whats going on to his dad with a chess board, to bad that he didn't believe him. Of course he finds out when he sees Scott go wolf in front of him, but its to late hes taken . They better not kill the sheriff.
                  sigpic

Comment

I am glad that his dad knows now too. But I know! Poor Stiles, like he said he can't loose two parents. I feel like he's too much of an important character to be killed off though. On that note, did the Druid take Lydia too? She didn't see to be in the room in the end.
                    Just because something is unknown, does not necessarily mean that it needs to be feared. Trust yourself, and the rest will unfold. ~Teyla Emmagen~

Comment

I didn't notice but yeah I don't recall seeing her, just Scott and Stiles.

edit: I just rewatched it, you can't actually see her because all the camera shows is Scott and Stiles looking out at the broken window. Lydia would still be tied to the chair on Stiles right off screen.
                      Last edited by blueray; 31 July 2013, 06:58 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Just watched the finale. Good though some of it could have been better. I am however, looking forward for the second half of season 3. Which isn't airing until January so might as well be season 4.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey can somebody give the rundown on the show?
                          sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                          https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

It is surprisingly a good show despite being on MTV. The first two seasons in my opinion are better than the third is so far (but the third isn't bad). The story is addicting and most episodes end in cliffhangers, which makes you want more. I watched it on Netflix which meant that before I knew it watched like six episodes in a role at times. At the core of the show Scott and Stiles friendship is probably the best relationship on the show. Stiles being the fan favorite and mine.

Some of the other characters could be developed more consistently mainly Derek. But in my opinion the main actors are good and seem to enjoy being on set. It is also one of the few teen shows where the parents are well written and acted. Fyi Alison's dad is Matouf from sg-1 (forgot the actors name), so familiar face. Overall, definitely worth watching, and is on netflix. I hope that helps and I tried my best to give no spoilers away.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                              It is surprisingly a good show despite being on MTV. The first two seasons in my opinion are better than the third is so far (but the third isn't bad). The story is addicting and most episodes end in cliffhangers, which makes you want more. I watched it on Netflix which meant that before I knew it watched like six episodes in a role at times. At the core of the show Scott and Stiles friendship is probably the best relationship on the show. Stiles being the fan favorite and mine.

Some of the other characters could be developed more consistently mainly Derek. But in my opinion the main actors are good and seem to enjoy being on set. It is also one of the few teen shows where the parents are well written and acted. Fyi Alison's dad is Matouf from sg-1 (forgot the actors name), so familiar face. Overall, definitely worth watching. I hope that helps and I tried my best to give no spoilers away.
                              I like the fact that from the clips I've seen on youtube, the parents do seem well written. And for the line in bold, thanks for telling me, but I was already aware.

Thanks for the cliff's notes version!
                              sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                              https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Thought I'd share this with everyone It just better not be Derek!

http://watchteenwolf.com/teen-wolf-s...r-death-video/

Comment

Working...
                                X