No announcement yet.

Find me a sci-fi series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I absolutely loved every episode of Firefly, so by the definition stated above, I guess I'm a pervert! I must admit, I've been called a pervert before over my taste in viewing, but it was never for anything done by Whedon, that's for sure. If Firefly got your Mom all heated up, I'd hate to think of what Dollhouse did to her blood pressure!

I'm all for people exercising their right of free speech, but for the life of me, I can't comprehend why someone would want to publicize their dislike Firefly on the grounds of sexual content.

Comment

It has been years since I watched Firefly, but I don't remember any sexual content (mention of, but not the actual act). There is way more in say Buffy, and my nieces watch that. Now a lot of cable shows I can definitely see people having a problem with. It doesn't bother me though. I love True Blood and Lost Girl, and Camelot and Game of Thrones are two new favourites that are 14A and show a lot of sexual content.

I have to agree with those that mentioned SUPERNATURAL. That show rocks! It has everything; creep factor, suspense, drama, witty dialog, and great chemistry between the actors. I was thinking of shows already ended like Buffy, but Supernatural helped me go on after Buffy and Angel were over.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GWF View Post
        I'm into the witty, quirky, imaginative type of series.
        That describes Farscape to a T. I insist you start there.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

I just watched Firefly Eps. 1. It wasn't bad but wasn't funny. I will continue to watch the series.

Thing is I chose Lexx over Farscape years ago and not really sure if I would like to watch it. I saw S1E1 also...the puppet alien thing kinna bug me. I'll give it a try after Firefly.
          "The center of every man's existence is a dream." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

In regards to Firefly and sexuality... When two people are naked in bed under a sheet doing the naughty... well, that's just too much for me. I'm not old, I'm not a prude, and I don't think about sex all the time. I'm just a Christian man in his 20's who feels that sexual content is best left implied. That's all. I could argue that people who don't think of it as sexual content are desensitized, but what does that accomplish? I prefer to argue the subject, not make fun of he or she who's views differ from the mainstream. Not everyone follows the crowd, and that's not a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              In regards to Firefly and sexuality... When two people are naked in bed under a sheet doing the naughty... well, that's just too much for me. I'm not old, I'm not a prude, and I don't think about sex all the time. I'm just a Christian man in his 20's who feels that sexual content is best left implied. That's all. I could argue that people who don't think of it as sexual content are desensitized, but what does that accomplish? I prefer to argue the subject, not make fun of he or she who's views differ from the mainstream. Not everyone follows the crowd, and that's not a bad thing.
              you're kidding right?

besides, anyone who doesn't like firefly is a communist.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                oooh, that's kind of harsh.

but aren't most classic sci-fi novels (We by Zamyatin, 1984 by G. Orwell, Brave New World by Huxley) convey the same communism/big-brother/cult type of settings? just a thought (btw, those three books are considered grandfather/father of sci-fi.) people just have different reference/likes...and some people have different tolerance levels. that's all.
                "The center of every man's existence is a dream." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                  you're kidding right?

No, I am not kidding. I do like the show, I just don't like the sexual content. By the way, watch who you call a communist. One day, you'll say that to the wrong person and land yourself a broken nose.

Comment

No, I am not kidding. I do like the show, I just don't like the sexual content. By the way, watch who you call a communist. One day, you'll say that to the wrong person and land yourself a broken nose.
                    I've decided you're funny Snowman. I'm laughing at with you.
                    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

If laughing at me makes you feel enlightened, laugh away. I have greater concerns than message board drama. Back to the topic on hand...

As for recommending science-fiction shows, what about Jericho or Roswell?

Comment

"Witty, quirky, [and] imaginative" is Doctor Who to a T. It's more on the soft side of Sci-Fi, most of the episodes are stand alone, and the new Who only has five complete series so far. For the best idea of what it's like, I'd recommend the first episode of series 5, The Eleventh Hour. It's typically described as the best season, and definitely the best series opener.

Comment

Originally posted by GWF View Post
                          I just watched Firefly Eps. 1. It wasn't bad but wasn't funny. I will continue to watch the series.

Thing is I chose Lexx over Farscape years ago and not really sure if I would like to watch it. I saw S1E1 also...the puppet alien thing kinna bug me. I'll give it a try after Firefly.
                          S1 of Farscape really hits its stride towards the end of the season. At least try to make it to the end of the season as the show only gets better from there, imo. I know the puppets have been a turn off for some, but I thought they were quite good. They were created by the Jim Henson Co. If you can just ignore the fact that they are animatronic, their actual character is as lifelike as any of the other human characters on the show. Farscape wouldn't be Farscape without the two main puppet characters of Rygel and Pilot.

Firefly has humor in the dialogue, but it might not be for everyone...especially on your first time through the series.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

Because the first series ended last night, again I was reminded that this show has never been discussed in this forum. (to the best of my knowledge and a quick search) I would think that by now, Bar Karma would have had a few lively discussion threads going. Sure, it's a new type of show, but it does deal mainly with sci-fi type topics in very interesting ways. Plus, with all the talent present on this board, I'm also surprised that no one here has tried to contribute yet. That is the main difference, the viewers do have a say in the plot and programming.

I've been hooked since the first episode and I have entered a few pieces for consideration. I mean, I can't be the only one who's been watching, can I?

Comment

Firstly, you said that Firefly is a family show. It isn't. Doctor Who is a family show. Firefly is most definitely aimed at teens/adults. Secondly, the sex scene in the pilot episode of Firefly is incredibly mild. If you are offended by that, NEVER watch a HBO TV show, like "Rome" or "The Pacific". Thirdly, sex is a natural act that is vital for the advancement of the human race. I don't understand why you are so offended by it.

But it's your opinion, I'll respect that. Were you offended by SGU's sex scenes? I don't think you should let sex scenes ruin fantastic shows like Firefly for you.

Comment

If that's the case shouldn't violence also be left implied as well? Why do you condone the graphic violence on the stargate shows? Do you turn away whenever someone is killed or shot at? There seems to be an extreme contradiction going on here.

Comment

Working...
                                X