Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cancelled serials that left you hanging!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefly, although it didn't really end on a cliffhanger, i loved it so much and wanted so much more!

SGU, although I was unsure at first, i stuck with it and started getting really good and then they go and do this?!

Enterprise was really hitting its stride when that got cancelled too.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Amaunet for the sig!!!
    My First Gateworld News Item!

Comment

For me

The 4400
      Lost
      Defying gravity excellent show
      Surface
      sigpic
      May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Hetshepsu View Post
        Enterprise was really hitting its stride when that got cancelled too.
        The way they killed Trip sucked too. I much prefer to think he actually went undercover like they showed in "The Good That Men Do." It was much better than what happened on the show.
        "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
        - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
          24 is no sort of sci-fi. Plus it wasn't canceled. It came to an end and left room for a movie. Which BTW Keifer Sutherland confirmed is going to happen. It's just a matter of when.
          http://blastr.com/2009/01/eight-reas...ion-really.php

24 was cancelled; incase you haven't watched it, the series isn't set up that it could ever have come to and end unless Jack Bauer dies - its a new story every season and there is nothing that made its last season an "ending".

Comment

Lost
            The Gates
            Invasion
            The Visitor
            Happy Town

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
              http://blastr.com/2009/01/eight-reas...ion-really.php

24 was cancelled; incase you haven't watched it, the series isn't set up that it could ever have come to and end unless Jack Bauer dies - its a new story every season and there is nothing that made its last season an "ending".
              I have watched every season multiple times. Just because a show is brought to an end doesn't mean it's been canceled. Star Trek Deep Space Nine was ended. If a show never ended then we would just have soaps. Hell "Days of Our Lives" has been on since Jesus himself was in school. No show ever HAS to end. If they could networks would keep their best shows on forever, but eventually people lose interest, writers can't come up with new stories, and the shows get too expensive to produce.

That article you linked is an interesting read, but anyone who watches TV knows there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief for ANY show. "Braga says. "I mean, it is. It's not sci-fi, but it is a fantasy for sure." Every TV show is a fantasy. Even those that are based on actual events. Every story is embellished to a point. Why does it even mention Reiko Aylesworth at a party in real life? You might as well say she faked her own death to become a lesbian lover to an IOA woman on Stargate Universe.

Comment

I have watched every season multiple times. Just because a show is brought to an end doesn't mean it's been canceled. Star Trek Deep Space Nine was ended. If a show never ended then we would just have soaps. Hell "Days of Our Lives" has been on since Jesus himself was in school. No show ever HAS to end. If they could networks would keep their best shows on forever, but eventually people lose interest, writers can't come up with new stories, and the shows get too expensive to produce.

That article you linked is an interesting read, but anyone who watches TV knows there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief for ANY show. "Braga says. "I mean, it is. It's not sci-fi, but it is a fantasy for sure." Every TV show is a fantasy. Even those that are based on actual events. Every story is embellished to a point. Why does it even mention Reiko Aylesworth at a party in real life? You might as well say she faked her own death to become a lesbian lover to an IOA woman on Stargate Universe.
                You are more than a little naive in my opinion. Any ambiguity on the part of the network as to whether it ended or was cancelled is purely to retain the value of the franchise for a future movie - fact is that its ratings had taken a huge hit from season 7 to 8 and production costs had escalated to an all-time high. There was never any plan to end it after 8 seasons and the cancellation was announced only a couple of months before season 8 finale aired - they left their options open to pretty much the end.

It was most certainly a cancellation out of circumstance (ratings, costs) and not any sort of premeditated cancellation because they simply wanted to conclude the series - it was never that type of show.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                  You are more than a little naive in my opinion. Any ambiguity on the part of the network as to whether it ended or was cancelled is purely to retain the value of the franchise for a future movie - fact is that its ratings had taken a huge hit from season 7 to 8 and production costs had escalated to an all-time high. There was never any plan to end it after 8 seasons and the cancellation was announced only a couple of months before season 8 finale aired - they left their options open to pretty much the end.

It was most certainly a cancellation out of circumstance (ratings, costs) and not any sort of premeditated cancellation because they simply wanted to conclude the series - it was never that type of show.
                  So what you're saying that FOX planned on running the show FOREVER? Really? How would they have pulled THAT off? Obviously you know the whole story of 24 so tell me how season 12 would have gone, please. That's the season I was REALLY looking forward to.

None of the stuff in that article even made a bit of sense as to why the show is sci-fi. It seemed like it was supposed to come off as funny, but IMO it fell far short of that and just sounded stupid. You might as well say that Winnie the Poo is sci-fi because it features a talking bear, a depressed donkey, and tiger that has a shock absorber in his tail.

Comment

Can we stop arguing over whether 24 was cancelled or ended? It didn't end on a cliffhanger, so it's off subject. Can we get back on topic? Please?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                      Can we stop arguing over whether 24 was cancelled or ended? It didn't end on a cliffhanger, so it's off subject. Can we get back on topic? Please?
                      Technically EVERY episode of 24 was a cliffhanger. Even those that wrapped stories up nicely at the end (i.e. Day 1 hour 24).

Comment

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I hated that this got canned just when it was about to get really good.
                        The 4400. All it needed was another season or a miniseries to wrap it up.
                        Space: Beyond and Above. Though since it never got another season, what a way to end it.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        Farscape: This was a serial? I thought it was more of an episodic show. Regardless, it was followed up with a miniseries.

I think ya'll missed where I said serials ending on a cliffhanger, not just any show that was cancelled.
                        Farscape was just as serialized as SGU. And its final regular season episode did end on a HUGE cliffhanger. But luckily we got the miniseries. Farscape had a major arc that started at the end of season one and continued on throughout the show, but it did get a fairly good resolution in the miniseries, but the show still had other on going stories to tell...as evident by the ongoing comic series. I miss Farscape regardless.

Lost wasn't canceled. The producers knew how many seasons they had to work with to end the show. But I can see it having unanswered questions, but I was satisfied with the ending.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                          yeah, Crusade as well, that was sad
                          Totally forgot Crusade. It died way before it's time. We will probably never know what the Apocalypse box really was.

Oh and Caprica, even though the ending was pretty satisfying.
                          sigpic
                          My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

So what you're saying that FOX planned on running the show FOREVER? Really? How would they have pulled THAT off?
                            Yes, if it retained its audience then they would have kept it going basically as long as Kiefer Sutherland wanted to be involved and/or wasn't too old.

Comment

The one that hit me worst was Now and Again. Fantastic show but worst cliff hanger i've ever seen. Bar none.

Comment

Forever Knight.

the last ep ended on a cliffhanger, of nick, a vampire, biting one of his best female friends (literal love interest), but going too far and it appears she's going to die. if i'm remembering right, she wanted to become a vampire b/c of her love for him. anyways, he thinks she's going to die now, so he allows his mentor, the one that turned him into a vamp a long time ago, to take a sword, to kill him too... the screen goes to black, just as he's about to stab nick through the heart... and the series never resolved it!!
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X