No announcement yet.

Wonder Woman (modern-day TV reboot) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot screenings have been getting a mixed response.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The pilot should magically leak online if they want real reactions & not the general public. But even the general public that sees the pilot in screenings does not like it so not surprised

Comment

What is is the young people say on the internet when something is bad? Oh, yes. 'Epic fail'.

The news just keeps getting worse. The pilot might easily go the way of 'Aquaman'.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Aquaman was only canned because it would end up being to expensive. Especially when he eventually did return home to Atlantis. Again expensive. But people did like the Aquaman Pilot

Comment

It doesn't really matter how mixed the response is. What matters is if they can find a big enough demographic that likes it.

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
              The pilot should magically leak online if they want real reactions & not the general public. But even the general public that sees the pilot in screenings does not like it so not surprised
              Er....I think you've got that backward. They do screenings composed of average schlubs in order to get 'real reactions' and gauge how well it might do on TV. Us in the internet TV commenting community are a vocal minority.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Many reports online now that NBC has renewed both Parenthood and Harry’s Law. Parenthood was a lock for renewal, and Harry’s Law would have been a surprise were it not renewed.

Apparently, NBC has now passed on Wonder Woman, which our previously reliable source had told us would be picked up.

Our last bit of info from the source, that Law & Order: LA would be cancelled is yet to be confirmed.
                http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...y-nixed/92429/
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Same news from Hollywood Reporter:
                  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...s-awake-187564

Comment

There goes another futile attempt to bring WW to the mainstream....I wonder why it's so difficult in the first place. They did it with Xena and Buffy, so what's with the Princess of Paradise Island that people seemingly can't get into?
                    "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Well...that's a kick in the private parts...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
                        There goes another futile attempt to bring WW to the mainstream....I wonder why it's so difficult in the first place. They did it with Xena and Buffy, so what's with the Princess of Paradise Island that people seemingly can't get into?
                        Well as an outsider . . . Wonder Woman in the modern day? I'm having difficulty seeing it.

Buffy is a character easy to re-invent, not that it should be - Joss perfected it. I can't speak for Xena for the fantasy setting seemed to work for the series' time period (like Hercules). Wonder Woman however is a different ball game. I expect it's having difficulty for the same reason Superman Returns did (at least critically) in that it's trying to apply a concept I would argue as quite dated to a very modern audience.
                        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                          Well as an outsider . . . Wonder Woman in the modern day? I'm having difficulty seeing it.

Buffy is a character easy to re-invent, not that it should be - Joss perfected it. I can't speak for Xena for the fantasy setting seemed to work for the series' time period (like Hercules). Wonder Woman however is a different ball game. I expect it's having difficulty for the same reason Superman Returns did (at least critically) in that it's trying to apply a concept I would argue as quite dated to a very modern audience.
                          They did it in the 70s...
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                            They did it in the 70s...
                            Superman worked in the 70's.

It was an era where cheesiness was a norm on television, especially with the classic BSG and the Incredible Hulk series, as well as others. They had to dramatically reinvent all of these things for a modern audience and all recieved a mixed response from the viewers. The two Hulk movies that have been released recently came about average critically, same with Superman Returns. Sure the BSG reimagination may have soared critically, but many fans of the old show united against it.

I guess my main point against yours is that this isn't the 70's. Hell we have shows like Life on Mars which try to show the difference between eras (albeit a little exaggeratedly).
                            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                              Superman worked in the 70's.

It was an era where cheesiness was a norm on television, especially with the classic BSG and the Incredible Hulk series, as well as others. They had to dramatically reinvent all of these things for a modern audience and all recieved a mixed response from the viewers. The two Hulk movies that have been released recently came about average critically, same with Superman Returns. Sure the BSG reimagination may have soared critically, but many fans of the old show united against it.

I guess my main point against yours is that this isn't the 70's. Hell we have shows like Life on Mars which try to show the difference between eras (albeit a little exaggeratedly).
                              You missed my point. You said Wonder Woman in the modern era doesn't work. In the 70s...it started out in the 40s...and then in season 2 it moved to the 70s.
                              sigpic

Comment

The pilot must have sucked, NBC passed on Wonder Woman. Its too bad, I was kinda looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X