Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntress View Post
    Spoiler:
    :amused: is there a reason why everyone writes only in spoiler tags? i love the dresden files btw though i am not to happy with the fact that susan is supposed to return and preggers too. I seriously disliked her and harry so doesn't need a kid and neither does the book series.
    Hi huntress...I agree with you about Harry. The spoiler tags thread… It started out like that. It’s not really necessary I suppose but there are spoilers about the books.

I’m worried of what Harry might do in the upcoming book Changes (To be released in hardcover April 6 2010.)

Quote about the book from JB official website:

Changes
    Book 12 of the Dresden Files
    "Long ago, Susan Rodriguez was Harry Dresden's lover-until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her torn between her own humanity and the bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. Susan then disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it.

Now Arianna Ortega, Duchess of the Red Court, has discovered a secret Susan has long kept, and she plans to use it-against Harry. To prevail this time, he may have no choice but to embrace the raging fury of his own untapped dark power. Because Harry's not fighting to save the world...
    He's fighting to save his child."

If Harry goes dark he will put his life in danger with The White Council who has zero tolerance when it comes to breaking the laws of magic and starting a war. Dresden will need the support of his friends. In the chapter sample of Changes he’s already furious and ready to kill anyone that stands in his way. I can’t wait for it to be released. The book already starts out great.
    Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
    Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

Well, I guess they already sort of have that militia with Susan and St. I forget.

Does everyone turn that blind of an eye to supernatural things? Dead Beat was epic, and it filled the streets with zombies and everyone got temporary blindness? Bit ridiculous.

There's usually two kinds of descriptions, the ones where the author tells you what he sees and the kind where the author suggests what you should see. I like the both, but more the latter because sometimes the author's descriptions are long, like you said, and get tiresome.

Yikes, his kid. Seems like he's becoming some kind of Connor thing from Angel. I wanna ask Jim Butcher if he's ever watched those two shows. He seems like the kind of guy that probably has. Harry already has a baby to mind, Molly. We'll see what happens. The cover showed a ziggurat, right? Isn't that Mayan or Aztec and in central or south America? Is that where it'll take place?

I'd like to see what Ramirez is up to in the west. Maybe a side-book or something.

Comment

Yes the St.Giles I think. They are a group of people like her (half turned humans by the Red Court vamps) fighting the Red Court vamps.

Your right about people facing the supernatural turning a blind eye. Perhaps they can’t cope with what they saw. It’s a bit silly that regular people don't talk about it. Even with the events of Dead Beat people didn't seem to believe/remember the supernatural events even if it stared at them in the face.

Oh I haven’t thought of that. Like Angel the Connor thing. Dresden’s kid might have special powers. The kid might be valuable in the baddies market. That’s scary. Susan was pregnant when she was contaminated with Red Court blood about 8 years ago. She only needs to do a first kill to become a full vamp.

Well it’s been said that The Dresden Files are for adults and are a combination of Buffy and some investigator character. I think JB definately has seen both series.

Indeed Dresden needs to baby sit his apprentice Molly. She’ll probably not listen and tag along. Changes will take place in South America but I don’t know exactly where. About the cover of Changes I think it’s Mayan. The Red Court are located all over South America in the Dresdenverse.

I would also like to see what Raminez is up to. He was an interesting character in Dead Beat and in White Night.
        Last edited by geekywraith; 20 March 2010, 09:20 PM. Reason: typo
        Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.

Comment

I wish and hope that Jim Butcher will find a permanent solution for Susan. The very dead, stake in the heart kind or something similiar. I just want her to go away. Iam reading the books kinda out of order and still have quite a bit of catching up to do (i read all the volumes up to Summer Knight and then Small Favor and I am still missing the volumes in between) but in the last volume I read (which was "Small Favor") Harry had this new relationship going with Anastasia. I guess that didn't last. A pity.
          He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
          He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
          And he's wonderful.

Comment

According to a Beta reader (on the JB forum) who read the book before the release something intense happens near the end. No spoilers are revealed about the book. Supposedly the book ends with a cliffhanger and that Changes is as good as or even better than the excellent Dead Beat. Will Susan die or someone that Harry cares about making him tap into his dark and powerful side? Reading all the speculations and the 3 sample chapters of Changes are making me impatient to read the book. Maybe one key villain is back or even Lasciel. Dresden has made many enemies. The title of the book makes me think. What "Changes" will happen in Dresden's life?

Susan might have lied about having a kid to just to lure Dresden into Red Court territory...

In Small Favor Dresden was being used by Anastasia (Luccio) someone messed with her mind (The Black Council had infiltrated the White Council) so she never truly had feelings for Harry. It’s not really a pity in my opinion since she’s White Council material and they don't like Dresden very much.

Comment

Originally posted by geekywraith View Post

Susan might have lied about having a kid to just to lure Dresden into Red Court territory...
              I could totally live with that. Well, we will see. Regarding Anastasia. I rather liked her even if she worked for the White Court. Anyone is better then Susan to be honest. Is "Dead Beat" the one with the zombies. In that case I have already heard really good things. I will probably get my paws on the columes I am missing in April. Can't wait. I do own all the audio books but I don't want to hear the ones from the books I am still missing before reading the actual books. I am weird that way.
              He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
              He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
              And he's wonderful.

Comment

Yes Dead Beat is the one with the zombies, a walking dinosaur and so much more. It’s one of my favorite books and it's a fan favorite. It’s a excellent book. That’s great that you’ll be able to read the volumes that you don’t have soon. All the books are good.

A scene from Dead Beat - Dresden and Sue
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by geekywraith View Post
                  Yes Dead Beat is the one with the zombies, a walking dinosaur and so much more. It’s one of my favorite books and it's a fan favorite. It’s a excellent book. That’s great that you’ll be able to read the volumes that you don’t have soon. All the books are good.

A scene from Dead Beat - Dresden and Sue
                  Spoiler:
                  Zombies AND dinosaurs? Wohooo. That sounds like one hell of a fun ride and the picture is GREAT! The dinosaur has a name? I approve
                  And he's wonderful.

Comment

The dinosaur's name is "Sue" and it's just the most fantastic and funny event in a book ever. A walking dinosaur in the city in battle mode and roaring. Reading Dead Beat will make you smile at times. It does look like a lot of fun riding it. (flipping cars, stepping on baddies...)

Comment

For information on the Dresden Files books and to read free sample chapters:
                      http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/

Changes
                      Each Tuesday a chapter sample is posted. Until all four are posted
                      then the book will hit stores April 6th.

Very good so far.
                      Last edited by geekywraith; 28 March 2010, 08:52 PM. Reason: removed two links

Comment

Huntress, you should really read the others due to the amount of insight and information pertaining to future books. Geekywraith is right about Dead Beat being excellent, you really must read this one if you haven't.

By the way which Susan are you talking about, Huntress? Before her change or after? Which ones have you read so far, don't want to spoil things. Why we initially did the whole spoiler tags.

Dang, now you have me all excited to read the new one. Ugh, I can't wait. I'm looking forward to this more than Stargate Universe, lol. Who wouldn't? Don't really care much for SGU at the moment.

Oh yeah, that might be a possibility, baby as a lure. Well, we'll finally see what the Red Court have been up to. I forget but are the Black Court and Red Court allies?

Well, if he does have a kid, maybe he'll fast forward the kid's developments, cause I can't really see Harry fighting ubber bad guys with the constant reminder of his kid.

I think the real question is will Chicago be safe while Harry is away? It seems to be the focal point of most things evil, even though I'd have considered Europe to be more of a focal point, it being the center of most of civilization. By the way, I hope we see the satellite McCoy brought down!

Comment

Indeed Huntress like jmoz said reading all the other books will give you insight and information.

I feel the same way about SGU…Didn’t really care about Rush or any of them. I’m really looking forward to the upcoming book after having read the chapter samples and fan speculation.

I stopped using spoilers tags after some people found it odd/amusing. Too bad...they’ll read spoilers…

I think that the Red Court and Black Court are allies. Remember Bianca and Mavra were working together in Grave Peril. The two Courts are very different types of vampires.

I think that would be interesting if the child could develop quickly in order not to be vulnerable. But it would be against The Councils laws to mess with natural order. The kid is missing and there’s no guarantee that Susan told the truth and that it will still be alive. Then Harry might be even more furious.

You’ve made a very good point jmoz. Chicago is Dresden’s city to protect. Will the baddies take advantage of his absence to cause chaos? Perhaps some tragic event will take place in Harry’s absence: someone he cares about dies or something bad.

It’s true that the city seems to be the focal point of bad events and things. Indeed I too hope to see the satellite McCoy brought down.

Comment

Remember all the stuff that happened while Murphy was away? And she totally missed the most epic moment. Maybe a reversal of that situation with Dresden being away. But, with the Nevernever, it's not that far away for him I guess.

Wonder if he'll bring along any of his allies. I haven't read the three preview chapters yet. Getting to it. Actually don't think it'll be too bad in terms of trouble. Trouble usually finds Dresden. Besides, with uh Macrone's Gard, things might be safe? Who is that girl anyways? I know they dropped some insight but they're like most other insight, always leaves you hanging for more.

Can't wait for the cultural differences and how Dresden copes, I hope they include Spanish translations if he writes any Spanish conversation. Maybe there'll be new exotic magic like the shape shifting council member. That was unexpected and exciting a little.

Ok, another thing. How old is Harry? With his wizard capabilities, does he age slower or does age slow down after a certain age? I mean Luccio was centuries old but still fit, right? So is Dresden a lot older than he appears? I might have missed it if they did say how old he was.

Comment

Yes I do. Oh I didn’t think of that. That's an interesting idea. Murphy had no clue on what happened when she came back from her vacation with Kincaid. It was just another day at work for Dresden. Perhaps she’ll do some fighting while he’s away in South America fighting his battles.

Well he’s still in Chicago at the beginning of the book. Dresden has plenty of allies that can help him in some way. Trouble does find Dresden most of the time and he usually is "snarky" when he faces it.

Gard is powerful and mysterious. Not much is know about this character. She did say that in Dead Beat it was Harry’s faith to die in that alley after a ghoul injured him in battle. She and Marcone saved him. Marcone is still dangerous but he respects Dresden. Perhaps the city will be safe in Dresden's absence.

It's true that the cultural differences will be another challenge for him. Perhaps Susan will serve as a translator for Harry. The book will probably have surprises.

Well Harry at the beginning of the series he was is his early twenties and now he’s about in his mid-thirties according to JB. He’s not older as he appears but he does age. It’s been said that Dresden is one of the strongest wizards of his generation and the Council members are nervous around him. Wizards can live a lot longer than regular people like its been said in Proven Guilty Harry’s and Murphy’s conversation in the elevator. Some wizards are a few hundred years old. I don’t know how it works. Perhaps once as an adult the aging process slows down.

Comment

lol, snarky, more like smartass'ed. But it's great even when he faces overwhelming adversity, he can joke. I like that, how he makes light of a situation. Most fantasies make epic showdowns all grim and serious. Here it's handled in an awesome manner.

You know how he has rings on his hand that collect up energy from his hand motions? He really should make some for his feet, because he really uses them a lot, mostly running away, lol. Then he'd deliver one hell of a kick.

So another thing about that, how was the shape shifter able to like dismiss some of his magic away like it was nothing? Or is it some kind of disruptive magic? And could he build up magic for like a really strong bomb type magic blow with some kind of container vessel?

Yea, Gard is very mysterious and one of those "comes out of nowhere" characters. I forget what it was, but she had some kind of title, Foreteller of Death? I forget what it actually was.

Well yea the translations. I was actually talking about us! lol. The readers, I don't want to be kept in the dark due to a language barrier. But I understand if some is necessary. And I can see Harry having serious issues about eavesdropping because he doesn't understand the language.

Yea, age. Guess it doesn't really matter. I would like to read an offshoot novel from the other perspective. Like a bad guy's perspective, and how this wiseass'ed wizard totally kicks his butt. Would be hilarious, in a dark way. Still.

Comment

Working...
                                X