No announcement yet.

Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, she is. It doesn't come up at all if you don't engage in repeated conversations with her, but once you do, she reveals her prejudiced true colours.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Yes, she is. It doesn't come up at all if you don't engage in repeated conversations with her, but once you do, she reveals her prejudiced true colours.
      She's not racist in the slightest. She has a realistic military outlook, she's suspicious of non alliance personnel being on the Normandy, the same way a British or American Officer would be suspicious if a Russian was allowed onto one of their nuclear attack submarines, and she thinks that most alien races have their own interests at heart, rather than the best interests of humans, and earth and the alliance should rely on themselves. That's not racism, that doesn’t even meet the definition of racism.

You meet actual racists in the first game, the Terra Firma party, and Ashley chews them out, she hates them. Further it's part of her arc in the first game that she grows to trust the alien crew members like Garrus.

Comment

who cares if she's racist or not..she's hot and that's the only thing which matters
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

Apparently some people weren't paying attention when she talked about aliens being untrustworthy and expecting that they would throw humanity to the wolves if it came to that, because it would be 'only natural', and then backpedals into "that's not racist! Not really!"

Getting over it--sure, I can see that character development. But a character has to be a racist in the first place if their arc is getting past being a racist.

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
          who cares if she's racist or not..she's hot and that's the only thing which matters
          She looks especially good in some of the material that's come out promoting ME3. Much better than in ME1.

....but I killed her off on Virmire, so oh well.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I didn't sacrifice her on Virmire and I also didn't pursuit any romance during ME2, so I'm eagerly awaitng ME
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Apparently some people weren't paying attention when she talked about aliens being untrustworthy and expecting that they would throw humanity to the wolves if it came to that, because it would be 'only natural', and then backpedals into "that's not racist! Not really!"

Getting over it--sure, I can see that character development. But a character has to be a racist in the first place if their arc is getting past being a racist.

She looks especially good in some of the material that's come out promoting ME3. Much better than in ME1.

....but I killed her off on Virmire, so oh well.
              Personally I find the argument that she is a racist about on the ludicrous side. And more telling of the people making those claims.

As Mighty 6 pointed out she had trust issues not racial issues with other alien races. And as you pointed out she back pedled that she wasn't a racist but have you ever said something that you think might be misinterpreted so you felt the need to clarified? I know I do...quite often in fact.

Personally I think she is about as racist as Martin Luther King.

Perhaps the greatest example of 'racism' in the entire game was when she said that she couldn't tell the aliens from the animals. Pretty racist right? But apparently she considers humans animals too because she was quoted as saying 'aliens or humans we are all just animals in the end.' And that also might be inproperly stated social commentary that sometimes you can't tell what is an alien and what isn't. I know sci fi has done a good job of portraying most species as generally...human...but there is no gurantee that we won't run into a sentient race that looks like Domestic short tails.

But. She hates and stands against Cerberus (to the point that threatened her and Shepards relationship)
              She stands against Terra Firma.
              She was willing to take orders from an Alien Captain (Kirrhe)
              She is going to be a Spectre (basically an organization set up and run by a bunch of aliens)
              And she became quite good friends with a bunch of the alien crew thus moving past her trust issues.

Comment

Yeah still not seeing any racism. She has a realist political outlook, each political actor is out for themselves and will through each other under the bus for their own aims. In the real world for instance, I have no doubt that Obama, or any U.S government for that matter will not help the U.K if we fight Argentina over the Falklands a second time. Despite us being apparent close allies, there's no way that the U.S will sacrifice it's relationships in South America over a war it would not itself directly benefit out of. You would throw us to the wolves. For that matter if China decided to invade Taiwan, I'm pretty sure in the end the U.K and the U.S would throw them under the bus as well, neither country has a desire to see their economy ruined or be at war with a nuclear armed state. Self intrest is a common trait, regardless of race, colour or creed and Ashley believes that everyone, human or alien, has has their own self interest at heart.

Racism is the belief that different traits in people justify discrimination. Ashley never argues that, she believes that the alien governments are out for themselves and have the same self intrested stance that humans do, which is realism, an accepted school of thought in international relations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realism...onal_relations

It's pretty difficult to argue that someone is racist when they believe that aliens and humans alike have the same traits and should act in the same way to each other.

Comment

played demo. pretty (frame rate dips on ps3), but i'm still not really thrilled with the way they're presenting the reaper threat/invasion thingy. oh well, can't pass judgement 'til i've finished the full game once, or twice, or more...

my biggest worry is if the local store will have copies of the N7 CE (they're still not sure). at worst, i guess i can get the digital deluxe version from origin.
                  well, at least i have a new pc (minus new gpu, but i'm waiting for the next nvidia stuff. will be using old gt 430), so that's one less thing to worry about gaming-wise.
                  hopefully it's set up later so i can stop typing with a 6 axis
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, this is a bizarre promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                      played demo. pretty (frame rate dips on ps3), but i'm still not really thrilled with the way they're presenting the reaper threat/invasion thingy. oh well, can't pass judgement 'til i've finished the full game once, or twice, or more...

my biggest worry is if the local store will have copies of the N7 CE (they're still not sure). at worst, i guess i can get the digital deluxe version from origin.
                      well, at least i have a new pc (minus new gpu, but i'm waiting for the next nvidia stuff. will be using old gt 430), so that's one less thing to worry about gaming-wise.
                      hopefully it's set up later so i can stop typing with a 6 axis
                      whats wrong with the invasion?
                      To say the least...

Comment

invasion as presented feels 'forced', i guess

funny story: still typing with 6 axis. can't transfer old keyboard 'cause no ps/2 port, usb only
                        sigpic

Comment

Hurrah! Finally finished my ME2 insanity play-through, and had everyone survive (double whammy achievement ). Finally played Lair of the Shadow Broker for the first time too. Just have Arrival to play now. Tomorrow, I think

Comment

Hurrah! Finally finished my ME2 insanity play-through, and had everyone survive (double whammy achievement ). Finally played Lair of the Shadow Broker for the first time too. Just have Arrival to play now. Tomorrow, I think
                            Going to play Arrival next weekend.

Comment

New trailer is up

Comment

amazing
                                Stolen Kosovo
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X