Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Strange as this is for me to say, that makes me glad I play ME on 360.

Frak EA and frak their s---ty Origin service. I wouldn't use that garbage even if they were paying me to use it.
    Origin is fine, just a bunch of steam fanboys throwing a tantrum. It's not the best service, but it works. Way better than how Steam was when it was starting out. Now they need to add some sales though, they still overprice their games on Origin.

Comment

Origin is just the old EA store--which was a colossal POS with zero customer support and game purchases amounting to licenses rather than purchases--with a new name. It doesn't exist because of some non-existent Valve "restrictive" terms of service, it exists because EA are a bunch of greedy bastards who want to have their cake and eat it too. Have no doubt--if they could get away with refusing to supply retailers and offer it solely through their own outlets, they would.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Origin is just the old EA store--which was a colossal POS with zero customer support and game purchases amounting to licenses rather than purchases--with a new name. It doesn't exist because of some non-existent Valve "restrictive" terms of service, it exists because EA are a bunch of greedy bastards who want to have their cake and eat it too. Have no doubt--if they could get away with refusing to supply retailers and offer it solely through their own outlets, they would.
        Origin is EA wanting to have a piece of the pie that Valve does, and I see nothing wrong with that. Valve do not have a right to a total monopoly with online distribution. They sell their games online exclusively through Steam, and I see nothing wrong with EA doing the same for their games on Origin.

And frankly the idea that it's the same as the old EA store is ********. It has significantly improved since then, and at least from my experience their customer support is actually far better than Valve's.

If EA are guilty of greed then so are Valve, who act in exactly the same way in restricting "their" games to steam. And to be honest it's nonsense, it's like telling a farmer who's found he can make more money setting up his own store to sell his produce that he's greedy because he won't sell it to the supermarkets and make less money. Valve and EA are both companies in the business of making money and they're both going to do what makes them the most money. And what makes the most money for any business is selling your product straight to the customer while cutting out the middleman. Valve happened to be the middle man in this case.

Comment

somewhat related to the mass effect thread:
          http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/s...-Now-on-Steam!

(also available on Origin...but I'm too lazy to install Origin now, and Steam's already on...so, there)

According to the FAQ, it doesn't matter whether you use Steam or Origin, as long as the demo's on the PC, it still counts for the ME crossover promo thingy.
          sigpic

Comment

There's a new trailer on the cast of Mass Effect 3

Comment

I guess Yvonne was busy with Chuck stuff to not be in that video ?

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                I guess Yvonne was busy with Chuck stuff to not be in that video ?
                The voice cast for these games is huge, even if you just count main characters. If they interviewed everyone it wouldn't fit into a 4 minute trailer.

Comment

I don't think Miranda plays a significant role in ME3.

Jess Chobot though? Really? That's kind of pandering....

Interesting to finally see Jen Hale though. I've heard her as so many characters, it's a little strange to find out what she really looks like.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

hehehe, funny comments w/ people complaining that they didn't show Tali's voice actress.
                    (oops, I think I'm recalling the GT link, not the YouTube one)

edit: and what's wrong w/ Chobot? She's a game review person, right?
                    Last edited by gotthammer; 01 February 2012, 03:59 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah I believe she works for IGN, or at least used to.

Jess Chobot is one of these game website people in the mould of Olivia Munn. They might like (or say they like) a couple video games, but really the #1 reason that they were hired on is because the video game playing crowd is overwhelmingly teen-to-30s male and they're very good-looking females.

You know what Chobot's on-screen credits are? Her IGN appearances, and a minor bit part in a direct-to-DVD movie. That's not the highlights, that's the entirety of her on-screen experience.

Comment

Yeah I believe she works for IGN, or at least used to.

Jess Chobot is one of these game website people in the mould of Olivia Munn. They might like (or say they like) a couple video games, but really the #1 reason that they were hired on is because the video game playing crowd is overwhelmingly teen-to-30s male and they're very good-looking females.

You know what Chobot's on-screen credits are? Her IGN appearances, and a minor bit part in a direct-to-DVD movie. That's not the highlights, that's the entirety of her on-screen experience.
                        Ah, I see. I never really liked Munn (Haislip was better, IMHO )

Oh well, I guess we can all just hope that Chobot will deliver a good/decent performance for the game.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                          Ah, I see. I never really liked Munn (Haislip was better, IMHO )

Oh well, I guess we can all just hope that Chobot will deliver a good/decent performance for the game.
                          Meh, I'm not too bothered about her. She plays a journalist aboard the Normandy and according to the rumours you can just have her chucked off the ship.

Comment

Oh dear, in other less good news, it seems that Mass Effect: Deception, the new Mass Effect tie in novel by William C. Dietz, is a total car crash. Aside from apparently being appallingly written, with characters taking bizarre or stupid actions (in one scene badass Cerberus assassin Kai Leng breaks into Anderson's quarters and eats his breakfast cereal. wtf?? I'm really not making this up) or major character traits and features, such as one characters autism, being forgotten, the book also is basically totally inconsistent with the Mass Effect universe, it appears Dietz did absolutely no research when it came to writing the novel.

The good news is Dietz is not a writer for the games (or any other tie in novels or comics apparently), and on doing a bit of research on the guy, he basically seems to be the Uwe Boll of tie in novels, turning out bad novels for various franchises like Halo, that all the fans hate.

Bioware's main mistake seems to be not forgetting that as he was not an in-house writer, maybe they should have proof read his work to check it was consistent with the lore. Probably with them being tied down with finishing Mass Effect 3, and I imagine that's a gargantuan task, presumably they forgot, or only checked at a point when it was too late to make any changes and they had to release it anyway, but it's still a disappointment. I still believe the game will be great, and have decent writing, as will any spinoff material done by proper Bioware authors. But at this point many fans are calling for the novel to be stricken from canon, it is that bad.

You can check out the thread on the Bioware social network on the novel http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...ndex/9070774/1,

and this is a comprehensive list of mistakes in the novel https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../preview?pli=1. It has spoilers for the novel, but it's well worth a read to discover how bad the novel is, this isn't just a few mistakes, the entire novel basically gets everything wrong about the Mass Effect universe.

Ah well at least Mass Effect: Invasion, the new comic, written by Mac Walters, ( an actual Bioware writer) is supposed to be pretty good.

Comment

Aww, nuts. And I just bought that novel... (and it was more expensive than some other stuff I had bought recently, too)
                              To think I was wondering, while looking at the book: Hmm, it's not written by Drew Karpyshyn...
                              Oh well, it's currently on my reading backlog... (which increased by 8 when the latest editions of Cornwell's Sharpe arrived )

The comics are quite good (nice story and good, consistent art), but I think I should've waited for the compiled version. I recommend getting them.

I just wish the demo would come sooner (like the 6th of Feb...so the KoA:R 'freebies' w/ the demo will be unlocked before the game )
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                                Meh, I'm not too bothered about her. She plays a journalist aboard the Normandy and according to the rumours you can just have her chucked off the ship.
                                That's hilarious

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                                Oh dear, in other less good news, it seems that Mass Effect: Deception, the new Mass Effect tie in novel by William C. Dietz, is a total car crash. Aside from apparently being appallingly written, with characters taking bizarre or stupid actions (in one scene badass Cerberus assassin Kai Leng breaks into Anderson's quarters and eats his breakfast cereal. wtf?? I'm really not making this up) or major character traits and features, such as one characters autism, being forgotten, the book also is basically totally inconsistent with the Mass Effect universe, it appears Dietz did absolutely no research when it came to writing the novel.

You can check out the thread on the Bioware social network on the novel http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...ndex/9070774/1,

and this is a comprehensive list of mistakes in the novel https://docs.google.com/document/d/1.../preview?pli=1.
                                I....don't even know what to say. That sounds positively bizarre

The others haven't been a lot to write home about, but they've at least been consistent to the universe in which they're set!

Comment

Working...
                                X