No announcement yet.

John Carter of Mars (2012) - News/Speculation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The media has labelled this as a flop (obviously it is one commercially), yet I have heard good things about the film. I might get my butt on movie theater for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tachyon View Post
      The media has labelled this as a flop (obviously it is one commercially), yet I have heard good things about the film. I might get my butt on movie theater for this.
      Most reviews have been descent as well, none have rate the film as terrible. Most criticise it for not having enough action and that comment was from critic who I know moans above there being to much action in films.

Comment

Well, I read that Disney lost billions of dollars, well they managed to won one fan, me
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
          Well, I read that Disney lost billions of dollars, well they managed to won one fan, me
          If your gonna spend billions of dollars on a movie, you might as will film it on Mars.
          sigpic

Comment

You're only $800 million off...Disney: 'John Carter' loses $200 million
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
              I am not that into details... so
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                Hi. It´s great to find a conversation about John Carter. Disney´s declaration was somewhat premature since the movie has recently surpassed 250.000.000. It´s been huge in Europe and China. It will open next 13th April in Japan. Current number 4th in Spain, number 9th in Germany after 4 weeks. There is petition online to make a sequel, a 6800 facebook group and the interest is growing. Take us Back To Barsoom!

If anyone wants to join us:

http://backtobarsoom.com/

And sign the petition!

Comment

Well.. I just saw it and it was exciting, fun and everything a movie like this needs likeable characters although some of them are not that quite worked out. I guess or that they needed an extra hour. I loved the score by Michael giacchino although there was a lot of lost and star trek in it , I loved as well that there was some kind of an ending and did not left it wide open, I mean as said before there could be sequels but it is not really necessary and works out as a stand alone movie ( at least for me and as much as stand alone as we get these days! ) I really loved the princess though and she was better than most of the female leads these days!
                  Dejah Thoris rules! and it´s far better than most of the current blockbuster female leads! Strong and vulnerable. Princess and sicentist!

http://backtobarsoom.com/

Comment

Hi. Last try. I guess it´s not the most popular title in current science fiction at this moment. Or if it is, it´s not for the best reasons. Pity. Edgar Rice Burroughs is not as popular today as the Avengers, Hunger Games or so. But Stargate fans would really, really enjoy John Carter. It´s an amazing movie. There are intriguing paralelisms with Stargate. Ok, maybe I´m desperately trying to find common ground to get some of you into one of those 2nd run theaters in the US. Or maybe getting the DVD.

Stargate Paralelisms:
                    John Carter would be a mixture of Jack O´Neil at the very beginning of Stargate.
                    A medallion would be the Stargate itself, sending John Carter to Barsoom-Mars.
                    Barsoom-Mars is essentially, Abydos. Full of sand and sun.
                    Who´s Dejah Thoris then? A mixture of Sam Carter, Teyla Emmagan and Sha´re. More or less. A bit of technobabble, a great fighter, a princess....the incomparable Dejah Thoris.
                    Teal´c...that´s easy. Tars Tharkas and/or Sola support him.
                    Therns....that is a tough one. Maybe Baal could be similar to Therns.
                    Light......no Naquada generator, or ZPM. Barsoomian ships sail on light....and look really beautiful.
                    What else? I love music. I honestly may say I only listen to soundtracks, movie sountracks. David Arnold is a favourite of mine, and I´ll miss J. Goldsmith. Michael Giacchino´s sountrack for John Carter shares the same grandeur of Stargate. It moves you. Some of the tunes still give goosebumps after listening to them non-stop for 3 months.

I´m sorry I can´t tell how much I loved the movie, how I felt transported to other world. Comparisons with Star Wars? Maybe, but with the classic trilogy. Does it look as Avatar? No need to. Blue aliens don´t match well in the dessert, but Tharks cry, fight and sweat as if they were for real.

Original addition....following Stargate similarities: Woola! Scene stealer monster dog.

Hope it helps to bring us a sequel. Kaor!

"take up a cause, fall in love, write a book" John Carter
                    "Will U stay and fight for Helium?" Dejah Thoris

Comment

Hey, I loved the movie...I just wish it had made more money. Would have really enjoyed a sequel.
                      || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

I know. I really really hope many people will discover the movie in DVD-BR. Fingers crossed!. There is a Facebook group with more than 8000 people who thinks the same. Would U join us? Check the link above.

Comment

Hope it does better with DVD sales, i really enjoyed the movie
                          Last Movie Watched
                          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                          Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by DOIKECARTER View Post
                            I know. I really really hope many people will discover the movie in DVD-BR. Fingers crossed!. There is a Facebook group with more than 8000 people who thinks the same. Would U join us? Check the link above.
                            I would, but I don't have a FB.

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                            Indeed.
                            || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                              I enjoyed it as well. Disney just dropped the ball with their marketing plan on this one.
                              sigpic

Comment

No matter how much money it makes, Disney accountants will make sure it's written off as a lost making venture so that they can manipulate the books to pay less tax.

Very few big, widely distributed films are loss making in the end, when all the final figures are added together, this will do a good business in the DVD and TV markets.
                                Last edited by knowles2; 03 June 2012, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X