No announcement yet.

John Carter of Mars (2012) - News/Speculation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From seeing the two trailers, this film looks quite good, but I probably wont see it in the cinema...
    Will be interesting to see Pixars first live film attempt though... Hope it goes well for them.

Comment

They released more promotional footage for the movie. Here's a 10 min scene from imdb.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4083851545/
      sigpic

Comment

Dang...might as well just wait...seems like it's all gonna be released as promotional film.
        sigpic

Comment

I doubt there will be many more trailers or footage release, this seems to me one last desperate gambit by Disney to advertise the film, I would say there advertising campaign has been rubbish but there has not been an advertising campaign for this film, given the amount they spent on the film, 250million, an given the amount of merchandise that Disney could flog of to millions of kids, I am surprise they are not advertising this much much more and I am even more surprise they have released this film so early in the year and not closer to the Christmas season.

I suspect we will never see another film from the John carter novels again even if this film does make a profit. We can probably put this down as a victim of Pixar and Disney merger.
          Last edited by knowles2; 06 March 2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
            I would say there advertising campaign has been rubbish but there has not been an advertising campaign for this film, given the amount they spent on the film, 250million, an given the amount of merchandise that Disney could flog of to millions of kids, I am surprise they are not advertising this much much more and I am even more surprise they have released this film so early in the year and not closer to the Christmas season.
            I doubt there would be merchandising potential for the film as it doesn't seem like the film that'd sell merchandise. The same could be said for Up as that film didn't have merchandising potential yet it sold pretty well. Not every film can become a franchise and not every film can have merchandising potential but that doesn't mean that the movie's going to do poorly because they don't have merchandise to sell; on the contrary it'll do well based on the merits of the film and how many people go to see the film again.

Besides, this doesn't look like the type of film Disney could easily unload onto kids, it seems to be aimed more to the 15-34 crowd then anything else...
            Back from the grave.

Comment

*needs to first buy then read the book*
              Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
              Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
                I doubt there would be merchandising potential for the film as it doesn't seem like the film that'd sell merchandise. The same could be said for Up as that film didn't have merchandising potential yet it sold pretty well. Not every film can become a franchise and not every film can have merchandising potential but that doesn't mean that the movie's going to do poorly because they don't have merchandise to sell; on the contrary it'll do well based on the merits of the film and how many people go to see the film again.

Besides, this doesn't look like the type of film Disney could easily unload onto kids, it seems to be aimed more to the 15-34 crowd then anything else...

I did not say the film would do well base on the merchandise, but Merchandising is a substantial part of Disney empire.

As to this film there plenty of stuff Disney could flog off to kids, aliens, spaceships, white monkeys. Plus, without reading the other 10 novels, but I am sure there plenty of other stuff Disney could sell.

As to the franchise potential, there were eleven novels, this fiilm was base on just the first one. There remain 10 more novels they could bring to film, of cause there a franchise there, you have to be an idiot not see franchise potential. Pixar probably had every intention to turn this into there star wars.

The film ends in a way which allows for other films as well.

The question does Disney has any real intention of setting this up as a franchise or not from what we have seen the question is no, and Disney seem to have chosen to focus on there Marvel brands for live action films, it where there marketing efforts are focus on. Disney bought Pixar because it own internal animation studios had little to no success at bringing new franchises to the market, there only so long you can live off beauty and the Beast, whiles Pixar had a period where it continually bought out new and successful franchises, Shrek, Cars, Toy Story, Wall E, even Monster inc still sell huge amount of toys and other items, that is Disney bread and butter. I expect this will be the last Pixar live action film and they will be told to concentrate on animation only from now on.

I would not be surprise if Pixar suffer some staff loses in the next six months, especially as Disney influence at the company grows.
                Last edited by knowles2; 07 March 2012, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I like this new trailer as it gives the film a bit more depth than just a Tarzan/Mad Max on Mars sort of story. The inclusion of Burroughs as a character intrigues me.
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Just saw the film earlier. I read reviews that seemed to be mixed but I enjoyed the film, then again I have never read the books but some of the reviews said that it was rushed and everything was crammed into 2 hours. I can forgive it with the ending that the movie had because this means that if continued they can use the next movie to explain more, if not then maybe I can look up a wiki and find out what I need to know. Anyway, pretty good and entertaining movie imho, especially for those that haven't read the book and are unfamiliar with the storyline like I am. But I do think that people who were really into the book (same happens with Harry Potter which was a good movie) may not like the movie because of the pacing and what was left out.

Just wanted to add a funny little story. My dad read the start time wrong. We don't usually see 3d movies but he thought that the 2d showing was at 10am thanks to the internet. When we got there we found that the 2d showing was an hr later and the 3d showing was at 10, so we actually ended up spending extra money to see it. Since I have never seen a 3d film (and at that price will probably never see one again), it was a good choice for my first latest 3d movie experience. Now I only hope somehow I can manage to see a movie like the upcoming Silent Hill" Revelations film in 3d. At least now I have a pair of glasses for it.
                    Last edited by Reseph(Shed); 10 March 2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I heard that Disney was hoping this would be their next "POTC" big money franchise but a march release seems to indicate not that much faith in it.
                      I like Sharky
                      sigpic

Comment

Well.. I just saw it and it was exciting, fun and everything a movie like this needs likeable characters although some of them are not that quite worked out. I guess or that they needed an extra hour. I loved the score by Michael giacchino although there was a lot of lost and star trek in it , I loved as well that there was some kind of an ending and did not left it wide open, I mean as said before there could be sequels but it is not really necessary and works out as a stand alone movie ( at least for me and as much as stand alone as we get these days! ) I really loved the princess though and she was better than most of the female leads these days!
                        sigpic

Comment

I think it might be safe to assume that this film has bombed...Unless more people start seeing it, that is...
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, I saw it. I thought it was great--I don't know why it's doing so poorly. Normally I tend to agree with the critics, but I thought this was fun, exciting, and very involving.
                            || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Originally posted by WingedPegasus View Post
                              Well, I saw it. I thought it was great--I don't know why it's doing so poorly. Normally I tend to agree with the critics, but I thought this was fun, exciting, and very involving.
                              It faced so tough competition
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by WingedPegasus View Post
                                I think the critics may be why it's doing so poorly. I had my reservations until I saw it and for some reason from what I gather on the internet a lot of people seem to want this movie to fail. I think having Critics at times can be a problem because of reasons like this, and reading what the critics said is why I had my reservations about it. I think for some movies it's just better to go see it yourself and decide.

Comment

Working...
                                X