No announcement yet.

Halo: just a game or a great story?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digi, I think your are being overly pessimistic. Part of the problems in getting Halo to the big screen has been the issue of how to do it correctly. If they are going to start with the Fall of Reach, it is an indication to me that they are looking at attempting to do it right, following the detail laid out in the books, and you can be sure with someone like Spielberg involved, that it won't be a crappy effort. And as far as I am aware, Peter Jackson is also still involved, and he views this as an almost religious undertaking. They just need to remember cardinal rule number one, focus on the character(s), and the action will take care of itself. I think Iron Man was a pretty good example of that. I would look to follow to some degree what was done in Gladiator, an epic individual, and work it from there.

If they do that, and they have more characters to work with, after all, the doctor, Sgt Johnson, Captain Keys, Cortana and more - to round out matters, let alone some of the other Spartans, some of whom we tend to forget also were important in the books, and allow for nice subplots.

I agree with Alan, this movie, if it is at all good, will be so big it will be hard to imagine. This is everyone's dream movie, and the god of microsoft know that they better do it right, or they will be crucified. The two 4 minute movies they produced for the launch of some of the Halo games indicate they have a good feel for things (those shorts were very well received).

I think they will do the Fall of Reach, then the Flood, then next 2 books (interwoven with Halo 2 and 3), and then the backstory just like they did with Star Wars. If they do it correctly, it will be glorious.

By the way, Resident Evil was considered a success; it grossed 3 times its production budget, which is why it spawned 2 sequels.
    ---------------------
    sigpic
    Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
      Digi, I think your are being overly pessimistic.
      The thing is, I don't. This isn't because I have no particular interest in Halo, it's because there's a longstanding tradition of filmmakers taking video games with great stories and back stories--and neutering them down into something awful and/or totally unrecognizable. Even games which have near zero backstory and should have been simple beyond all description to transition onto the big screen, tend to be completely reworked and made into terrible films.

Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, Wing Commander, Tomb Raider, Doom, Hitman, the entire career of Uwe Boll.....all unsalvageable, unredeemable, god-frakking-awful films that had no reason to be so given their video game source material.

No, I don't feel that I'm being pessimistic. I feel that I'm being realistic. As someone who's been video gaming for a long damn time, I really hope 'our' medium finally gets what it deserves and has a decent film made based on its source material; even if it's not for a game I like. It's something I think we've earned based on the butchering of more than a few of our favourite classics. I do hope that a decent Halo movie gets made. I'm just quite certain that it won't =\

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
      By the way, Resident Evil was considered a success; it grossed 3 times its production budget, which is why it spawned 2 sequels.
      I did say "moderately successful" Let's be honest--a $100m (worldwide!) take on a $33m budget, while successful, isn't exactly a smashing success. Let's not also forget that it was critically panned and met with a lot of RE series fan backlash as well. Or the two less-than-stellar sequels it spawned, which you've already mentioned.

I should probably say at this point, that I loved the first RE movie. Absolutely loved it, with the exception of course of the "talent" of Michelle Rodriguez. But I'd still call it a 'moderate success'.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, Wing Commander, Tomb Raider, Doom, Hitman, the entire career of Uwe Boll.....all unsalvageable, unredeemable, god-frakking-awful films that had no reason to be so given their video game source material.
        Haha. I must admit, that gave me a good laugh.

Comment

I really like the background of Halo, I have all the novels, art books, and soundtracks. I definitely like having this background, it makes the games much more meaningful. I think my favorite novels were Fall of Reach and First Strike were my favorite, they really fleshed out the Master Chief well, and his relationship with his fellow Spartans was done really well in these two books. I didn't really care for The Flood's take on the Chief.

I'm looking forward to the Forerunner Trilogy coming out and the new comics.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Uwe Boll is just terrible at making movies. There have been some good video game movies. I liked the Resident Evil series, although I've never played any of the games (I'm thinking about getting the wii remake of the original sometime). I think the best video game movie I've seen was Silent Hill (I've never played those game either however).

With Halo and a lot of these new video game movies such as Gears of War, it looks like the game makers will be heavily involved and keep it from being terrible like Uwe Boll's movies.

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
          Whenever I hear someone talking about video games, they always mention halo. Always.
          What's funny is that this is even true for first graders or younger. This last year when I took my brother to the bus stop on his first day, all the boys were talking about Halo. At the neighborhood park, seven and eight year were playing master chief vs. the covenant with toy guns. On a side note I heard seven or eight year old girl said she plays Assassin's Creed today.

How many teen boys do you think will be seeing this movie? If you saw how many girls rushed to see twilight, well...it'll probably be a lot worse with the guys
          That's going to be really funny. I often thought about what going to happen when the Halo movie comes out.
          Last edited by Daedalus-304; 24 August 2009, 01:17 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

What do you guys think about Halo Legends? For those that dont know Halo Legends. It is an animated series that is being develloped.
            Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Zedd View Post
              What do you guys think about Halo Legends? For those that dont know Halo Legends. It is an animated series that is being develloped.
              I'll probably buy the DVD but I am skeptical about it. I never really cared for Japanese style animation.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                I'll probably buy the DVD but I am skeptical about it. I never really cared for Japanese style animation.
                it looks like it'll be a bunch of different stories in different styles, one of them looked kind of like the in game cutscenes,

i'll definetely give it a go, still need to get the graphic novel and uprising, ive got all the novels so far, theres a short story collection coming out soonish i think halo:evolutions, some are by the usual halo writers, theres one by karen traviss, a few others.

what do people here think of halo wars, i quite enjoyed it, the cutscenes really stood out they looked amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Zedd View Post
                  Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                  The trailer from Comic Con, for those interested.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
                    it looks like it'll be a bunch of different stories in different styles, one of them looked kind of like the in game cutscenes,

i'll definetely give it a go, still need to get the graphic novel and uprising, ive got all the novels so far, theres a short story collection coming out soonish i think halo:evolutions, some are by the usual halo writers, theres one by karen traviss, a few others.

what do people here think of halo wars, i quite enjoyed it, the cutscenes really stood out they looked amazing
                    Gamewise, it was mediocre(sp?) but story wise it was good. Except the flood. but the rest was really good. i liked spirit of fire getting sucked in the dyson shpere, and I especially liked the wee touches like Serena sending emails to the crew on valentines day, them all being MIA in the end, having no ftl etc.
                    sigpic
                    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Speaking of Halo, you guys seen the first video the Red vs. Blue guys did for the new one yet? There's a bunch of footage for the new multiplayer mode and it looks ridiculously fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voLCnyqW_E0

Also legit lol @ "What's a Marine?"

Comment

Originally posted by TomGameStop View Post
                        Speaking of Halo, you guys seen the first video the Red vs. Blue guys did for the new one yet? There's a bunch of footage for the new multiplayer mode and it looks ridiculously fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voLCnyqW_E0

Also legit lol @ "What's a Marine?"
                        Do me a favour and read the thread. I don't give a rats arse about the games or how good they are or what you can do in multiplayer. THis was MEANT to be a discussion about the merits of the fluff(background) shown in the graphic and normal novels.

Let's get it back on track; for all those who have read any of the fluff, what was your favourite bit? Mine is a clash between the Battle for Clevland and the Battle for 'Gwahilgur' (as the AI Welsely calls it) on Alpha Halo
                        sigpic
                        385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

I know this thread died a while ago, but I had to post this

It's actually just amazing.

Remember Reach
                          sigpic
                          385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

It's a well put-together trailer, but it appears to lift very heavily from both Doom 3 production design and in style from the various brilliant Gears of War trailers.

Comment

My favourite Halo vid. The 'Finish the fight' trailer for Halo 3 was also nice.

And the only Halo game I've played is the first one.

I find the setting somewhat interesting. Nothing really that 'striking'. (consider, tho', that I'm a bit into Warhammer 40,000...the scale of that setting alone is insane)

Based on the trailers I've been seeing, I'd actually like to see it made into a live action movie.
                              sigpic

Comment

I like the Halo games, but not the emphasis of the multiplayer that had evolved from its phenomena. I love the story of Halo, I used to enjoy the multiplayer as well until Microsoft got greedy with its DLCs and such(I miss Halo 2 online). Too bad the Marathon trilogy wasn't as popular, now THAT is a great sci-fi universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X