Avatar Film Series - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
    It was the best movie of the decade if not the best movie of the century.
    What's the difference?

Saw it a few days ago. On the surface it was pretty derivative and unoriginal, and I was slightly irritated by how heavyhanded the Na'vi = Aboriginal people "analogy" was, and how black and white the issues were (human military = BAAAAAAAAD, Na'vi = GOOOOOOOD).

However, that didn't stop me from LOVING THE HELL OUT OF THIS FILM. I was a little dizzy at the beginning because of the 3D but after 10 minutes I got used to it and was instantly pulled into the movie. Pandora itself was visually stunning, of course, and the CGI was pretty much flawless. I also loved the interplay between Jake and Neytiri and their relationship.

Gotta say though, favorite character was definitely Neytiri. Strong, HAWT, and spunky, just what I like. Zoe Saldana was phenomenal in the role, totally believable in everything she did. The way she said her dialogue was perfect.

She's pretty much Sci-Fi royalty now.

And about that CGI again: the 3D really helped to convey the massive scope of this planet, and helped everything seem so much more real. It's a freaking world for goodness sakes, it should feel big and wide, and it should make us and the character seem small and insignificant - and that's exactly what the film did! It really made it feel like I stepped into another world. The wide vistas, the depth of field given by the 3D, all wonderful. And of course, the lifeforms; don't know how realistic they are, but still loved them; especially those frisbee bugs; it was certainly a treat for the eyes.

Speaking of big and wide, the destruction of Hometree was just terrifying because of those wideshots. This huge, massive, complex, detailed tower, slowly tilting and falling over while on fire - it was an amazing, and horrible sight. I mean, when the tree becomes slightly blurred because of distance, and you still can't see the whole thing? THAT MEANS IT'S DAMN BIG. That whole thing falling over just made feel that much smaller. It was the "moral event horizon", as TV Trope would say; man are not supposed to destroy something so much bigger than it.

Finally, there is the Na'vi themselves. I paid extra close attention to their facial movements and expressions, and it was unbelievable how life-like they seemed; they were able to capture a significant amount of those "little movements" that constantly reshape our own faces as we talk and move and whatnot. Very impressive.

There was one scene at the end that just blew my mind; I'm talking about the scene of Neytiri holding the real Jake in her hands, with the latter so much smaller than the former. It was an incredibly impactful scene since we've been following Jake-as-Na'vi interacting with Neytiri for most the film; now suddenly they are seeing their true forms face to face. I tried for quite some time to comprehend the meaning of that meeting, especially the "I see you" line, which was just a perfect "Chekov's line" throughout the entire movie that was leading up to this. And what happens? No surprise, no fear, no sense of betrayal; the two smiled at each other, and both understood that it was what's inside that mattered, not their appearances.

Definitely looking forward to a sequel!

Comment

If the other moons of Polyphemus, it's not going to be done by some teleportation mumbo jumbo, not after the scientific accuracy we've seen so far (psionic control notwithstanding).

Keep in mind that there are at least three ships already en route to Pandora when the Venture Star departs at the end of the movie. Each traveling at somewhere around 50% speed of light. Now if each of those ships were to jettison their cargo prior to deceleration, Pandora would be devastated by multiple kinetic impacts.

It's all a toss up between how expensive unobtanium is and how expensive it is to put down the natives (whether financially or in terms of bad publicity).

Comment

I can definitely see the humans coming back for some revenge in Part 2. Hopefully they get their butts handed to them again.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
          Spoiler:
          These guys the military were not military they were either EX Military or Off Duty Military. This conflict wasn't against Earth.

There for no charges of murder and war can rightly be leveled against the people of Pandora but for those humans that helped...there might be brought to justice.
          Spoiler:
          I thought they were military.

Hopefully.

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
          At first, they only made these Avatars to communicate with the Na'vi. They didn't plan on staying them, only use them to move the tribe, then go in and get that resource, and then leave, shutting down them Avatars in the process.

Why would they have wanted to make the transfer permanent?

^^ thats assuming I've read your question correctly.
          Yeah, ya did.

Why was I reminded of Surrogates?

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

Gotta say though, favorite character was definitely Neytiri. Strong, HAWT, and spunky, just what I like. Zoe Saldana was phenomenal in the role, totally believable in everything she did. The way she said her dialogue was perfect.

She's pretty much Sci-Fi royalty now
          All bow to the new Sci-Fi queen!

Sam Worthingtion wasn't that hard on the eyes either!

First Zuko, then Lupin, what's with you woman?!!?!?
          AMC: I'm a muti-thunker, GET OVER IT!!!

There was one scene at the end that just blew my mind; I'm talking about the scene of Neytiri holding the real Jake in her hands, with the latter so much smaller than the former. It was an incredibly impactful scene since we've been following Jake-as-Na'vi interacting with Neytiri for most the film; now suddenly they are seeing their true forms face to face. I tried for quite some time to comprehend the meaning of that meeting, especially the "I see you" line, which was just a perfect "Chekov's line" throughout the entire movie that was leading up to this. And what happens? No surprise, no fear, no sense of betrayal; the two smiled at each other, and both understood that it was what's inside that mattered, not their appearances.
          And that little sence spawned a plot bunny! *looks at muse* I hate you.

Definitely looking forward to a sequel!
          Hear hear!!

Am I the only one who was looking for a Titanic refrence? That would've been funny!!

As the "bad guys" got hurt, I kept saying "Die witches" and "See ya in ****" What is my problem?

the_fifth_man They better! *iz a sucker for movies which big guns get owned by little sticks*
          Last edited by AlbinoMonkeyC; 01 January 2010, 06:18 PM.
          Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
          Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by natyanayaki View Post
            I think the fact that they can essentially talk to all other living things native to the planet, whether plant or animal, gives them a different perspective. They may very well change, but I think it would be harder for them to do so.
            You make a valid point here. If the natives can 'talk' to their planet, their planet might tell them not to drill for oil and such.

What's the difference?
            About 900 years?

Pandora itself was visually stunning, of course, and the CGI was pretty much flawless. I also loved the interplay between Jake and Neytiri and their relationship.

Finally, there is the Na'vi themselves. I paid extra close attention to their facial movements and expressions, and it was unbelievable how life-like they seemed; they were able to capture a significant amount of those "little movements" that constantly reshape our own faces as we talk and move and whatnot. Very impressive.
            Am in total agreement. Can't fault the visuals can we? The attention to detail was just.. well, astounding.

Haha, someone had to say it, didn't they?

I agree 100% here. That was a very strong scene, very well wrote, and very well done.

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
            If the other moons of Polyphemus, it's not going to be done by some teleportation mumbo jumbo, not after the scientific accuracy we've seen so far (psionic control notwithstanding).
            That was just one theory, and the only one that worked for me.

I can't see any other reason why the Na'vi would choose to go to one of these other moons, and if they did, how they'd get there. There are three ways of looking at this.

1) The Na'vi have a way of getting to the other moons, and have been doing so long before the Human's came to Pandora. Be it Teleporters or otherwise, they have a way, and make general use of it.

2) They choose to explore the other moons, using the ships that were left behind. The problem here though, is the Na'vi have no care for technology, nor do they need it. Everything they've got they have on Pandora.

3) More people come, and the Na'vi are moved (by force) from Pandora to one of the other moons. This would then leave the film open for a third movie, with the Na'vi trying to return to Pandora, but again, they'd have to use technology to get back there, and I can't see the military using up a lot of their resources to simply relocate a species from one planet to another.

The Military went to Pandora to get that mineral, the mineral was under that three, which they've now blown away. The mineral is now avaliable and there needs to be no contact with the Na'vi. If / When the other people get there, unless they have revenge on their mind for the loss of marines and such, they can easily go in, get the mineral that they wish, and leave.

Makes me wonder whether the second movie will have much (if anything) to do with the US Military.
            sigpic
            It's Probin' Time!

Comment

You make a valid point here. If the natives can 'talk' to their planet, their planet might tell them not to drill for oil and such.

About 900 years?

Am in total agreement. Can't fault the visuals can we? The attention to detail was just.. well, astounding.

I agree 100% here. That was a very strong scene, very well wrote, and very well done.

That was just one theory, and the only one that worked for me.

I can't see any other reason why the Na'vi would choose to go to one of these other moons, and if they did, how they'd get there. There are three ways of looking at this.

1) The Na'vi have a way of getting to the other moons, and have been doing so long before the Human's came to Pandora. Be it Teleporters or otherwise, they have a way, and make general use of it.

2) They choose to explore the other moons, using the ships that were left behind. The problem here though, is the Na'vi have no care for technology, nor do they need it. Everything they've got they have on Pandora.

3) More people come, and the Na'vi are moved (by force) from Pandora to one of the other moons. This would then leave the film open for a third movie, with the Na'vi trying to return to Pandora, but again, they'd have to use technology to get back there, and I can't see the military using up a lot of their resources to simply relocate a species from one planet to another.

The Military went to Pandora to get that mineral, the mineral was under that three, which they've now blown away. The mineral is now avaliable and there needs to be no contact with the Na'vi. If / When the other people get there, unless they have revenge on their mind for the loss of marines and such, they can easily go in, get the mineral that they wish, and leave.

Makes me wonder whether the second movie will have much (if anything) to do with the US Military.
              ...how did the US military get dragged into this?
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

At this point, anything Cameron says is probably going to change a lot by the end of the writing, so I wouldn't put much stock in it at present.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  ...how did the US military get dragged into this?
                  Not the Military, but the Marines. I swear I read somewhere that the military guys were 'US Marines'. Whether the US stands for United States, or something else I don't know, but I'm sure I've read about it somewhere.
                  sigpic
                  It's Probin' Time!

Comment

About 900 years?
                    Really? This decade vs. this century?

Think about it.

I'm surprised I'm the first.

Comment

Really? This decade vs. this century?
                      Ahem, minus 810 perhaps? God knows what I was thinking haha..

I'm surprised I'm the first.
                      sigpic
                      It's Probin' Time!

Comment

I'm glad to see at least one community has some soul left.

This movie was amazing. It was full of emotion. I felt Jake's freedom with him as he sprinted for the very first time and later during the incredible banshee flights; his wonder and awe of the glowing forest; the sadness of hometree's destruction and the love between him and Neytiri at the end.

This is why I love Sci-fi, because underneath it all, it always manages to convey empathy and awe. I am grateful of all the Stargate episodes which aspired to do the same.
                        Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today - but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all. - Isaac Asimov
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, I took the wife to see this today. I had already seen it, but was curious what she would think. She ended up absolutely loving it. She thought the story was wonderful, the visuals were beautiful and amazing, and the 3D presentation completely blew her away.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Saw it a few days ago. On the surface it was pretty derivative and unoriginal, and I was slightly irritated by how heavyhanded the Na'vi = Aboriginal people "analogy" was, and how black and white the issues were (human military = BAAAAAAAAD, Na'vi = GOOOOOOOD).

However, that didn't stop me from LOVING THE HELL OUT OF THIS FILM.
                            I agree. It wasn't mind blowing in the sci-fi category, though they made the world super compelling. I think this film is just a great example of storytelling. Good story telling brings you into the world they are creating and makes you care about that world and the characters in it. Cameron is great at this in all his films and delivered on this one for sure. If he can continue to keep us caring I am up for a sequel.

Comment

Am I the only one who was looking for a Titanic refrence?
                              Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                              Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Did anyone else think the story was dumb? I mean, its literally the exact same story as Pocahontas the movie. Like lawsuit close to the same story.

It also wasn't the US Maines, but instead a group of corporate mercenaries that were drawn entirely from the US Marine Corp.
                                sigpic
                                In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
                                "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X