No announcement yet.

Elric of Melniboné

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Das: Do you like the current Elric "image" on the Del Ray novels? Do you think he looks more realistic? I like the face myself but, we don't see much of his physicality.

Anybody else like the current Elric "image" I don't see him as physically strong looking. I see him as being a little on the slender side with some muscle. I wonder if Stormbringer gives him some muscle mass. Much like athletes who take muscle building drugs. I can't think of those drug names. I wonder if "they" who ever they are used a model or, was this some artist imagination?

LS
    Last edited by LiquidSky; 31 May 2009, 10:37 PM. Reason: to add another question

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidSky View Post
      Das: Do you like the current Elric "image" on the Del Ray novels? Do you think he looks more realistic? I like the face myself but, we don't see much of his physicality.

Anybody else like the current Elric "image" I don't see him as physically strong looking. I see him as being a little on the slender side with some muscle. I wonder if Stormbringer gives him some muscle mass. Much like athletes who take muscle building drugs. I can't think of those drug names. I wonder if "they" who ever they are used a model or, was this some artist imagination?

LS
      I see Elric as tall and slender. He doesn't need to have bulging muscles to be strong. Besides, Stormbringer has a will of its own - despite its weight, it can be quite light in his hands.

One of my favorite current images of Elric is one of the John Picacio's in Stealer of Souls, I think it captures Elric's otherworldliness and frailness by not making him overly masculine (afterall, you do get the feeling that Elric has a sort of feminine beauty about him). He's not necessarily as 'romantically handsome' in this picture as in others, but I think it captures what I imagine him to be like (and hints of that gothic Elric picture I posted earlier):

das
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
        I see Elric as tall and slender. He doesn't need to have bulging muscles to be strong. Besides, Stormbringer has a will of its own - despite its weight, it can be quite light in his hands.

One of my favorite current images of Elric is one of the John Picacio's in Stealer of Souls, I think it captures Elric's otherworldliness and frailness by not making him overly masculine (afterall, you do get the feeling that Elric has a sort of feminine beauty about him). He's not necessarily as 'romantically handsome' in this picture as in others, but I think it captures what I imagine him to be like (and hints of that gothic Elric picture I posted earlier):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...er/ElricJP.jpg

das
        Oh, yes I like that image too! John Picacio's Elric images are on " The Sleeping Sorceress", "The Metatemporal Detective" as well as "The Stealer of Souls" I also found another image of Elric from a site called Elfwood. It look to be a younger Elric however, I think his hands of quite small but, then his hands are wrapped around the sword. It is a very pretty sketch of him. The artist name is Janet Choi

LS

Last edited by Bagpuss; 30 January 2011, 09:48 AM. Reason: Tags modified.

Comment

Oh, yes I like that image too! John Picacio's Elric images are on " The Sleeping Sorceress", "The Metatemporal Detective" as well as "The Stealer of Souls" I also found another image of Elric from a site called Elfwood. It look to be a younger Elric however, I think his hands of quite small but, then his hands are wrapped around the sword. It is a very pretty sketch of him. The artist name is Janet Choi

LS

That is a nice picture - especially the face. Moody eyes, beautiful, tapered face (as his face and that of all Melniboneans is described). I am still looking for that 'perfect' illustration or painting, but I have seen quite a few that are still lovely, even if they don't quite reflect my mental image of the character.

das
          sigpic

Comment

I just got "The Stealer of Souls" no, I can't wait until the library brings it in..It could take months. So...I.. broke down and bought the novel. Hey, what else I'm going to spend my money on? food, rent, bills, you know that kind of rubbish.

Now, about Elric, he is a man who is so divided by his emotions. when "Stormbringer" has control over him he feels such ecstasy when the hellsword consume the soul of the enemy. but, after Elric feels such remorse that he breaks down and cries... You can't hate him you just feel empathy and compassion for Elric.

Das: will you ever find an image that best describes Elric? Many of the images have him well buffed which, doesn't describe him in the books
            Just keep looking you will find it.

LS
            Last edited by LiquidSky; 02 June 2009, 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Yes, I think I have found him! Look at this beautiful Elric action figure - mostly handmade (except the basic doll body)! Beautiful!

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/elric.html

das
              sigpic

Comment

I got my books yesterday and I've started down the list you gave us das (at least for the ones I have). I've read the Dream of Earl Aubec/Master of Chaos which was basically a prologue. Then I read Elric of Melinbone which I liked. Next was The Black Blade's Summoning/The White Wolf's Song which was a completely differnent style of story!! Now I"m on The Salior on the Seas of Fate. So far I haven't seen much of the conflict you're talking about LS. I seem to be stuck in the multiverse exploration at the moment.
                Last edited by Starry Waters; 02 June 2009, 07:24 PM.
                sigpic
                Siggie created by TP//Avatar by Draco-Stellaris

Comment

Yes, I think I have found him! Look at this beautiful Elric action figure - mostly handmade (except the basic doll body)! Beautiful!

das
                  That's just about perfect!! I love this!! This is how I see him also. Bliss! I want one.
                  Last edited by Starry Waters; 02 June 2009, 07:24 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

das

He is very beautiful!, and well made too. Has the action figure been made available for the general public?. I notice the Janet Choui image was incorporated to Elric's look I posted the image in one of my post. Thanks for the info das

LS

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...Sky1/elric.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Starry Waters View Post
                      I got my books yesterday and I've started down the list you gave us das (at least for the ones I have). I've read the Dream of Earl Aubec/Master of Chaos which was basically a prologue. Then I read Elric of Melinbone which I liked. Next was The Black Blade's Summoning/The White Wolf's Song which was a completely differnent style of story!! Now I"m on The Salior on the Seas of Fate. So far I haven't seen much of the conflict you're talking about LS. I seem to be stuck in the muliverse at the moment.

I'm reading the Del Ray publications. and the conflict come in "The Sleeping Sorceress", when Elric fights Theleb K'aarna's demon guard and kills the demon. Are you reading the older publications? I don't want to give too much away if you haven't read the Del Ray ones.
                      Anyways, I find the order of stories confusing so, I read them chapter by chapter.

LS

Comment

I got my books yesterday and I've started down the list you gave us das (at least for the ones I have). I've read the Dream of Earl Aubec/Master of Chaos which was basically a prologue. Then I read Elric of Melinbone which I liked. Next was The Black Blade's Summoning/The White Wolf's Song which was a completely differnent style of story!! Now I"m on The Salior on the Seas of Fate. So far I haven't seen much of the conflict you're talking about LS. I seem to be stuck in the multiverse exploration at the moment.
                        Conflict? Oh, it's coming...it's coming. Some of it is subtle - Elric torn between using his sword, or his wits. But much of it is because of WHAT he is - he is Melnibonean - a race without conscience, without morality. But Elric reluctantly has both. So there is always conflict there...

That's just about perfect!! I love this!! This is how I see him also. Bliss! I want one.
                        He is very beautiful!, and well made too. Has the action figure been made available for the general public?. I notice the Janet Choui image was incorporated to Elric's look I posted the image in one of my post. Thanks for the info das

LS

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...Sky1/elric.jpg
                        Yes, it IS beautiful! This is only fan-made - not for sale, unfortunately (though he at one time suggested making them on special request). It's just gorgeous! The guy posted on Moorcock's site - but he hasn't been to that site since 2005. He probably got married, put his 'toys' away, and moved on with life. Shame, because this is a beautiful figure - more info on it here:

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=2270

das
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm reading the Del Ray publications. and the conflict come in "The Sleeping Sorceress", when Elric fights Theleb K'aarna's demon guard and kills the demon. Are you reading the older publications? I don't want to give too much away if you haven't read the Del Ray ones.
                          Anyways, I find the order of stories confusing so, I read them chapter by chapter.

LS
                          I'm reading the Del Ray ones but I'm folliowing das' list so I'm jumping around among the volumes. I find the volumes kind of strange. They contain stories that aren't Elric stories at all, so I'm not sure why they are even in there. I'm finding das' list very helpful otherwise they would just be a mess of stories not in any order and not even all about Elric!! I'd hate to just stumble into these things. I'm afraid I'd probably just give up and leave them if it wasn't for das' guidance. I don't know what Del Ray was thinking of to publish them this way. Not the way to attract NEW readers in my opinion. We're lucky to have das blazing the trail ahead of us here. (Or at least I am!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

Conflict? Oh, it's coming...it's coming. Some of it is subtle - Elric torn between using his sword, or his wits. But much of it is because of WHAT he is - he is Melnibonean - a race without conscience, without morality. But Elric reluctantly has both. So there is always conflict there...

Hopefully he'll get pass all this multiverse exploration and back to more traditionally conflict and story-telling soon. LOL

Yes, it IS beautiful! This is only fan-made - not for sale, unfortunately (though he at one time suggested making them on special request). It's just gorgeous! The guy posted on Moorcock's site - but he hasn't been to that site since 2005. He probably got married, put his 'toys' away, and moved on with life. Shame, because this is a beautiful figure - more info on it here:

das
                            That's unfortunate because I'd love to have one. You are right, it is beautiful!!
                            sigpic

Comment

das
                              Maybe he did get married and put away the toys.. or there is that copy write thing too. Maybe there wasn't enough interest at the time. If however, there is a movie to be made and action figures were available . They would be made in China and massed produce and then you lose the quality and the beauty of Elric.

LS

Comment

Unfortunately, Elric is ALL about the multiverse! That's why those extra stories are helpful - they help the pieces fall in place later on. You have to realize that Moorcock has written about - oh, I dunno - a hundred stories, many about the multiverse and Eternal Champion, of which Elric is only a small part. Many stories are interwoven, so in reading Elric we only get one corner of a much larger picture.

Still...it is worth reading it FOR Elric, even if you do not wish to read beyond his saga. He's such a tragic, tortured figure - making choices that affect everything, and yet he is unaware of why he does what he does (he learns this in Dead God's Homecoming).

Still...despite his brutality and pact with the demons, he is as good a person as someone of his race can be. And ...he's hot.

Oh, and PS Spoiler for Stealer of Souls/Stormbringer:
                                Spoiler:
                                Elric - who is not 'human', eventually marries a human woman, and is accused by a God of sleeping with the animals! Reminds me of our discussions about whether or not Wraith would have sexual unions with their human herd...

das
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X