No announcement yet.

What Scifi Movie did you watch today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let the Right One In (english subtitles) - Was pretty good, surprised by it despite the inconsistencies.
    Spoiler:
    End was pretty crazy. They toned things down in terms of vampirism and localized it to a more smaller scale thing. Paid off well. I get the feeling the old man that was with the girl initially was once the little boy that is now with her.

Solomon Kane - pretty damn good movie. I liked it despite its cliche'dness in some things. Hopefully they make more of this. His journey only seems to be starting. Wished he actually fought the thing in the end instead of how he got rid of it in the end.

Valhalla Rising- pretty brutal film. The violence worked with the film. It had a prevalent dark tone throughout the film. It started off really good. I don't know Norse myth but isn't one-eye Odin? I was hoping it was an origin myth or something. The ending was weird and kinda stupid to me. I didn't like it. I really enjoyed how the main character did not say one word the entire movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
      Just finished watching Wall-E for the first time. I felt it was ever so slightly preachy and trite, but it was incredibly well made, entertaining, surprisingly emotional and worthwhile. I still have no idea how Pixar (and on a similar note, Jim Henson's Creature Shop) manage to make their creations overflow with so much soul and charm, but I hope they continue to do so for decades to come.
      I loved Wall-E. My favorite part was when Wall-E and Eva(sp?) were "dancing" while the captain was learning about what dancing was. I thought that part was pretty moving. The whole movie was great. I find that Disney/Pixar movies are usually really well done, and moving for movies aimed at younger audiences.

Also just watched Batman Begins. Well, it's sort of sci-fi...ish. Still a damn good film though.
      Batman Begins is my favorite Batman movie. It's also one of my favorites of movies in general.

Finished The Dark Knight. Having watched it nearly back to back with Batman Begins, I now don't know which I like best. I think TDK packed a little too much into one film, and its pacing suffered because of this. Nevertheless, they are both excellent films, and there isn't much between them.
      I loved TDK, but I still like Batman Begins better as a Batman movie. I felt that The Dark Knight didn't spend enough time on Batman himself. There was so much going on that at times it felt rushed; and too much(imo) of the focus was split between Harvey and the Joker and Gordon, that Bruce/Batman seemed to almost get lost in the movie. I loved Harvey's part of the story and I really felt for the character. The Joker was great too, I really loved how the character was portrayed. Even though I had a few problems with it, I still really loved the movie though. I watched it 4 times while it was in theaters.

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
      Robin Hood... I know... not sci fi... but a well made movie... with now 3d or whatnot. Love me some ridley scott and russell crowe... this movie got so many bad reputation I ended up loving it!
      I thought it was a really good movie too.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Watching Blade Runner right now, the 2007 cut. Classic frelling movie. I love that the BD release has 5 different cuts of it
        I like that movie
        The great ones dare to believe in the unbelievable...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
          I loved Wall-E. My favorite part was when Wall-E and Eva(sp?) were "dancing" while the captain was learning about what dancing was. I thought that part was pretty moving. The whole movie was great. I find that Disney/Pixar movies are usually really well done, and moving for movies aimed at younger audiences.
          While they are of course aimed at young audiences, I think Pixar films have a much broader appeal, not just to kids and parents of kids, but even to adults without kids - I'm one of the latter, and I know plenty of others too.

I loved TDK, but I still like Batman Begins better as a Batman movie. I felt that The Dark Knight didn't spend enough time on Batman himself. There was so much going on that at times it felt rushed; and too much(imo) of the focus was split between Harvey and the Joker and Gordon, that Bruce/Batman seemed to almost get lost in the movie. I loved Harvey's part of the story and I really felt for the character. The Joker was great too, I really loved how the character was portrayed. Even though I had a few problems with it, I still really loved the movie though. I watched it 4 times while it was in theaters.
          Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
          My personal opinion is that they could have cut the entire Harvey Twoface bit out and made another movie about him. Unfortunately HL would not have been able to do his awesome Joker again
          Definitely agree - good as it is, TDK is too rushed and has too much in it. There's more than enough material to make two excellent movies.

Originally posted by Martina Magnus View Post
          I like that movie
          I know I'm going to be the odd one out here, but I don't actually like Blade Runner.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Iron Man 2. Pretty good, not as good as the first of course, but still good fun. Sam Rockwell stole the show for me as Hammer. What an awesome guy.
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Sam Rockwell always steals the show
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Damn straight. Dude is a legend.
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Martina Magnus View Post
                  I like that movie
                  I know I'm going to be the odd one out here, but I don't actually like Blade Runner.

Actually I'll admit the movie has some issues. With the exception of Rutger Hauer and William Sanderson, the acting in the movie is almost totally flat and devoid of emotion. I know that on some level it was deliberate to elucidate a certain feel for the movie, but it made certain parts of the movie rather tedious to watch.

But as for its subject matter, visual feel, and questions of basic humanity, it's absolutely fantastic.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

While they are of course aimed at young audiences, I think Pixar films have a much broader appeal, not just to kids and parents of kids, but even to adults without kids - I'm one of the latter, and I know plenty of others too.

Definitely agree - good as it is, TDK is too rushed and has too much in it. There's more than enough material to make two excellent movies.

I usually end up watching Pixar/Disney movies because of my daughter; but they do tend to be more emotionally complex and have more adult themes than the average animated movie so that adults can appreciate them. I bought UP for my 4 yr old daughter because she liked all the pretty colored balloons in the trailers. She loved the movie; she loved the talking dog and the flying house and the going on an adventure theme to it; but theres so much more to it than that so adults can enjoy it too. I think its a pretty emotionally complex movie and its well written and entertaining too.

I also think TDK would have been better off as two movies. I always thought it would have been good to end it after the Joker got caught by the newly ressurected gordon and start a second part with his escape and just add a lot more stuff to flesh everything out. I loved how Batman, Harvey's and the Joker's paths/character arcs intertwined in TDK, I just wished there was more of it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Maybe they should have introduced Harvey in this one, like how Joker was semi-introduced in Batman Begins.

Comment

No, I think The Dark Knight should've stayed the same. Removing Harvey's transformation in it may've made things feel less "rushed", but the Joker's effectiveness as a villain really solidified with him destroying Dent over the course of the movie - that was the point of it, for the Joker to bring down Gotham's White Knight and throw some chaos in the water on the side, provoking Batman into future confrontations and just more fun by really getting to the caped crusader.

It might be my inner fanboy showing, but still, TDK succeed as a movie about four key characters - the struggling hero Batman, who thinks he might be finally able to ditch the mask and be with Rachel (But that fails miserably and he stays the hero Gotham needs him to be), Dent the White Knight turned to darkness thanks to some serious mental beatdowns from the Joker (And that succeeded in making the best of them all into the worst of them), The Joker, the chaotic guy in it for the kicks and would've come out the best in the end even if the ship bomb plan wouldn't have worked yet Dent's name got sullied, and Gordon, who is straddling the hero thing himself but failing left and right, because he trusted those corrupt cops and Dent... Didn't really work out well for him either.

And the thing about making one movie that works as one movie into two movies is this: The theme gets lost along the way and things become middling and padded out. Sure it would've been cool to have Dent become the bad guy and Batman pin the crimes on himself in a whole other movie, but all the recursive themes about Dark Knight/White Knight and stuff like that would've been lost in between, stopped by an unnecessary break between movies just to make more money or something. Let me just part by naming two movies that were once one, and leave y'all think about how different/better it could've ended up if they kept it as one: Martix 2 and Matrix 3.

TL;DR: The Dark Knight's already happened. If you want a Batman movie that features the Joker and a different one with Two-Face, you might just have to wait for another reboot. Sucks that you'll be waiting all that time while I'm cool with what we got, but it's okay. I don't mind.

Comment

I think I love you, Matt.

Comment

I wouldn't have wanted one movie with the Joker and another with Two Face; I just basically would have wanted the same story just with more stuff in it; basically a 4-5 hr version of TDK cept that would have been too long a movie so it would've needed to be split up(but I would have sat through 4 hrs lol).
                            Kinda like last Harry Potter book was split into two movies even though it's one story.
                            The Dark Knight is still one of my favorite movies, I guess thats one reason why I wouldn't have minded if it was longer.
                            sigpic

Comment

Clash of the Titans (it was so-so, but I appreciated certain nods to the original film)
                              Demon Hunter (didn't like this one)
                              Push (definitely liked this one)
                              sigpic

Comment

Serenity
                                sigpic
                                Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Working...
                                X