• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
    Sure, sure...

And I'm thinking...commando.
    No doubt.

I am totally impressed with their costumes, now - before, I missed the black. But now - knowing they are leather and bone...and satin *wriggles eyebrows*....and seeing all the detail up close...well, I think they're my favorite costumes in the movie.
    I'll have to look at the costumes more closely when I sit down to watch the movie again. But knowing how carefully they were made and the attention to detail and use of natural materials gives me a deeper appreciation of them.

Hee...might as well join us in the gutter...or is it in the sewer, with the trolls.
    Yeah, what the Wraith could not do, Nuada achieved with ease. But while I'm here in the sewer, I'll see if I can locate Nuada's house.

Originally posted by LiquidSky View Post
    Nuada said "Look at this place. Where is the honor in this? Is this where you hold Court? A derelict building. In the shadows- in their refuse? Where will you go next? The sewers with the trolls?"

LS
    Now - did he say that in the movie? I don't think that line was in the movie, was it? Everything is blurring into one now, and I really have to just sit and watch the movie uninterrupted - without rewinding and watching certain scenes over and over and over again...and again...
    das
    LS, if you are talking about the deleted scene where Nuada is talking to his father, I think he said something like "And I, your son, am living in the sewers with the Trolls..." But I'll have to watch the movie again to be certain.

By the way, das, you wanted to know more about Del Torro's development of Nuada and the Elves, didn't you? If you go into the Directors notes, on some of the pages a little red icon appears. If you click select on those pages, you get more scenes. There is a page with a drawing of his original concept of Nuada and on the facing page a picture of Balor. Click there and you get to see more about the Elves.
    Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow_hawk View Post
      By the way, das, you wanted to know more about Del Torro's development of Nuada and the Elves, didn't you? If you go into the Directors notes, on some of the pages a little red icon appears. If you click select on those pages, you get more scenes. There is a page with a drawing of his original concept of Nuada and on the facing page a picture of Balor. Click there and you get to see more about the Elves.
      I have to run and get to my housework (having furniture delivered today, and the room isn't ready!), but thanks for the tip. I only watched the individual scenes - not the 'play all' - so now I will, and will check for the red icon! Thanks!!!

Oh, and if you locate Nuada's house, gimme the address!!

das
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow_hawk;9234875

[B
        LS[/B], if you are talking about the deleted scene where Nuada is talking to his father, I think he said something like "And I, your son, am living in the sewers with the Trolls..." But I'll have to watch the movie again to be certain.

Yes, I was talking about the deleted scene. And he did say that line. However I am also quoting from the movie tie in where there is more dialogue between Nuada and his father. Sorry about that. This quote is from the movie tie book.

"Look at this place. Where is the honor in this? Is this where you hold Court? A derelict building. In the shadows- in their refuse? Where will you go next? The sewers with the trolls?" It would have been nice if they had that piece of dialogue in the movie.

LS

Comment

Yes, I was talking about the deleted scene. And he did say that line. However I am also quoting from the movie tie in where there is more dialogue between Nuada and his father. Sorry about that. This quote is from the movie tie book.

"Look at this place. Where is the honor in this? Is this where you hold Court? A derelict building. In the shadows- in their refuse? Where will you go next? The sewers with the trolls?" It would have been nice if they had that piece of dialogue in the movie.

LS
          Ah! I didn't know there was a movie tie-in book! I may have to look for it -- or drop a hint that it would make a great Christmas present. Thanks! I'm glad you mentioned it!

And you're right, it would have been great to have those lines in the movie to bring home how far the Elves have fallen and how much they have suffered because the humans have not respected the bargain.

And the clip where del Torro talks about how he developed Nuada and and Elves is on Disc 2 in the Pre-Production Vault, Directors Notes. Select proceed, then page through the book until you get to the page with the pictures of Nuada and Balor (you'll recognize them, even though they look a bit different than in the movie). I found it very interesting.
          Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

I wonder if del Toro left that part of the dialogue out because it would
            have disrupted the flow of the movie. Though out the movie we see Nuada's character development. If he has left the entire dialogue in then we would know too soon about Nuada's plight and maybe ruin the flow of the movie. Just a thought.

LS

Comment

I wonder if del Toro left that part of the dialogue out because it would
              have disrupted the flow of the movie. Though out the movie we see Nuada's character development. If he has left the entire dialogue in then we would know too soon about Nuada's plight and maybe ruin the flow of the movie. Just a thought.

LS
              You have a very good point. The director wanted to leave some things for the audience to figure out to help draw them into the story.
              Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Here is something, which you guys and gals might enjoy reading if you haven't already.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=62071

And Das, you said you were going to lighten up that picture where Nuada is sitting with a Dog. Did you do it? I need it for the wallpaper but its too dark in its present form. Thanks.

Comment

I hadn't seen that interview. Thanks, Apprentice!
                  Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Apprentice View Post
                    Here is something, which you guys and gals might enjoy reading if you haven't already.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=62071

And Das, you said you were going to lighten up that picture where Nuada is sitting with a Dog. Did you do it? I need it for the wallpaper but its too dark in its present form. Thanks.

Wow - thanks for that link! He's kinda funny...

I listened to part of the DVD commentary. Some interesting bits from both Luke and Del Toro. Luke said he thinks the scar across his face is some sort of rite of passage (though he said Del Toro probably has a different idea for it) - his father has it, he has it - something associated with battle, and his sister naturally has it because what happens to him, happens to her.

I'm supposed to be working - ha! - so I should get back to it. But it's cute that Wink was named after Selma Blair's dog.

das
                    sigpic

Comment

A pervy thought (not sure why this popped into my head...)

You know how Nuada said to Wink, "Don't be shy"? For some reason, I imagine him saying something very similar to Nuala...but not under the same circumstances...

In the commentary there are some comments made about Nuada's home. Del Toro calls it that - home, or house. I just find that so...sad. I mentioned before how it touched me to think of a royal prince, sleeping on straw...and now I know it was worse than that - he's living in the sewers. He was not the villain, 'at all', but instead the victim of man's insatiable greed.

The more I watch, the more I believe Del Toro saw Nuada as a hero, not a villain. Misguided, perhaps - but certainly not the ultimate bad guy. It was a very effective movie in this regard, making the viewer reflect on the underlying message, and the motivations behind the Prince's actions.

das
                      sigpic

Comment

A pervy thought (not sure why this popped into my head...)

You know how Nuada said to Wink, "Don't be shy"? For some reason, I imagine him saying something very similar to Nuala...but not under the same circumstances...
                        Naughty das. But you are probably right. Along those same lines I noticed something I had missed in the theater when Nuada is in the library with Nuala and is trying to find the last crown piece that she had hidden. When he pulls out the second book he says "Ah, poetry. Love ... found .... and lost!" The way he looks at her and the grief in his voice when he say it leaves little doubt in my mind that Nuala was the love of his life and he has never gotten over it.

In the commentary there are some comments made about Nuada's home. Del Toro calls it that - home, or house. I just find that so...sad. I mentioned before how it touched me to think of a royal prince, sleeping on straw...and now I know it was worse than that - he's living in the sewers. He was not the villain, 'at all', but instead the victim of man's insatiable greed.

The more I watch, the more I believe Del Toro saw Nuada as a hero, not a villain. Misguided, perhaps - but certainly not the ultimate bad guy. It was a very effective movie in this regard, making the viewer reflect on the underlying message, and the motivations behind the Prince's actions.
                        das
                        In what commentary does Del Toro talk about Nuada's house? Is it in the movie commentary or one of the special features? I haven't finished watching the movie through yet so I haven't turned on the commentary to view it that way yet.

But I agree with your impressions. Del Toro is certainly sympathetic toward Nuada's plight. It might have been in the extras when they are filming the scene with Nuada and his father, but del Toro says something about wanting the audience to see what has happened to the Elves and other magical beings and realize that Nuada is right, at least in part. Sappy tree-hugger that I am, I was cheering (I was going to say "rooting") for the Prince all the way so in my case, Del Toro was preaching to the choir.

About Nuada's house: I did watch closely during the scene when Nuada is sitting on his "front porch" seated at the little inlaid table while he works on the golden egg. There are mesh curtains with tassels hanging in front of the private space under the stairs, which appears to be his bedroom. There is straw on the floor, but there is also a pile of gold velvet cushions to the left and glass globes suspended over them to light the room, so there are a few comforts.
                        Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow_hawk View Post
                          Naughty das. But you are probably right. Along those same lines I noticed something I had missed in the theater when Nuada is in the library with Nuala and is trying to find the last crown piece that she had hidden. When he pulls out the second book he says "Ah, poetry. Love ... found .... and lost!" The way he looks at her and the grief in his voice when he say it leaves little doubt in my mind that Nuala was the love of his life and he has never gotten over it.

In what commentary does Del Toro talk about Nuada's house? Is it in the movie commentary or one of the special features? I haven't finished watching the movie through yet so I haven't turned on the commentary to view it that way yet.

But I agree with your impressions. Del Toro is certainly sympathetic toward Nuada's plight. It might have been in the extras when they are filming the scene with Nuada and his father, but del Toro says something about wanting the audience to see what has happened to the Elves and other magical beings and realize that Nuada is right, at least in part. Sappy tree-hugger that I am, I was cheering (I was going to say "rooting") for the Prince all the way so in my case, Del Toro was preaching to the choir.

About Nuada's house: I did watch closely during the scene when Nuada is sitting on his "front porch" seated at the little inlaid table while he works on the golden egg. There are mesh curtains with tassels hanging in front of the private space under the stairs, which appears to be his bedroom. There is straw on the floor, but there is also a pile of gold velvet cushions to the left and glass globes suspended over them to light the room, so there are a few comforts.
                          Yes, I saw the cushions too. He's trying to beautify his humble home...trying to make it 'royal'. But, alas, it's still in the sewers.

It is the movie commentary - I've only listened to parts of it, but Del Toro talks a little about it in the practice scene, I believe. Also, with Luke's commentary, he said that the auction house was his very first scene filmed, and he was very nervous. He also said that the library scene was hard to film because he had to blindly pick the books, and Del Toro wanted him to pick the blue ones, but he wasn't allowed to look to see where they were...lol. It looks like such a simple scene, and yet it was hard to get right.

I wish more was said about his relationship with his sister. I do think he loved her - why else would her name be the last thing he speaks? THAT'S the scene I really wish Del Toro would have elaborated on, but instead he talks about the music.

Has anyone downloaded the script yet? Any notes in that?

As far as what Del Toro said regarding King Balor - yes, I loved that. The suggestion that the king was old, covered in cobwebs...he just didn't care anymore. They were all complacent - content to live as they were. Even Nuala would rather die than fight for the earth. Only Nuada still had the fire burning inside of him, only he still cared about the planet.

Hee. He would make an EXCELLENT Wraith defender!

das
                          sigpic

Comment

I haven't watch the DVDs lately. I have either been too busy or too tired. As far as I remembered when del Toro was talking about Nuada's ' home' he said that the Prince no longer lives in a magical palace but lives in the sewers. It so sad that he and, his world has fallen so far down to be force to live in the garbage of humans. There are many comments I want to make on this beautiful character but, right now I don't have the time I have to go to work. blah! So, I will be back later.

LS:

Comment

Ha! Just watching the movie with del Toro's commentary, and he calls Nuada an 'incestuous little ba***rd' - LOLOL! For some reason, that make me love the Prince even more...lol.

I, too, took note of that scene in the library where he said, "Ah, poetry. Love ... found .... and lost! Only words..." He seems so hurt there...as if Nuala once did proclaim her love for him (willingly or coerced), but then rejected him. Or...he could have been taunting her for looking to 'only words' in a book to fulfill her desire for love, instead of accepting the love he offered her. It is obvious from that scene that he does love her, though he may not show it in the best of ways. He is hurt that she set the alarm, angered that she dare speak to Abraham in such a familiar way...he's losing her, and will fight even harder for her - and his army - now.

At least that's how it interpretted to me.

LS - Good to see you! I so understand not having time, though...same here...I'm really posting a lot less lately, too.

das
                              sigpic

Comment

I haven't watch the DVDs lately. I have either been too busy or too tired. As far as I remembered when del Toro was talking about Nuada's ' home' he said that the Prince no longer lives in a magical palace but lives in the sewers. It so sad that he and, his world has fallen so far down to be force to live in the garbage of humans. There are many comments I want to make on this beautiful character but, right now I don't have the time I have to go to work. blah! So, I will be back later.

LS:
                                LS, I love your new sig! I'm in the same situation as you, too busy to sit down and spend time enjoying the detail and commentary. And with the holidays coming, things will probably get even more hectic. But it is always nice to hear from you.

Ha! Just watching the movie with del Toro's commentary, and he calls Nuada an 'incestuous little ba***rd' - LOLOL! For some reason, that make me love the Prince even more...lol.
                                I think even del Toro finds him a charming little ba***rd!

I, too, took note of that scene in the library where he said, "Ah, poetry. Love ... found .... and lost! Only words..." He seems so hurt there...as if Nuala once did proclaim her love for him (willingly or coerced), but then rejected him. Or...he could have been taunting her for looking to 'only words' in a book to fulfill her desire for love, instead of accepting the love he offered her. It is obvious from that scene that he does love her, though he may not show it in the best of ways. He is hurt that she set the alarm, angered that she dare speak to Abraham in such a familiar way...he's losing her, and will fight even harder for her - and his army - now.

At least that's how it interpreted to me.

das

I agree that he was hurt and angered by her rejection. And jealous. Poor guy. I hadn't really thought about it before, but they had been apart for a very long time and that scene (where the chamberlain insisted he give up his weapons) was their reunion after hundreds of years. He seemed so happy to see her, even backing down and relinquishing his sword with a courtly "for you, sister, anything." He must have been terribly disappointed that she did not take a stand with him when he returned to Court and then to see her resigned to their fate and tell him that their time was over and that they should just fade away..
                                Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X