No announcement yet.

Legend of the Seeker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a reader of the books at the moment, but I'm not expecting the show to follow them exactly. The producers always said as much anyway...

But what I do love are the battle scenes/sword fights. I think for TV they are doing a great job and there seems to be a sword battle in each episode!

Comment

Haven't read the books, but the show is really very good. I was worried before watching that it would feel dated, but it feels really fresh and new.

Good to see the old classic: groups of people running randomly through the woods.

Comment

As someone has already mentioned the first few books were decent, not outstanding. That said I think they have done a fairly good job with bringing it to the screen.

We'll see just how much they change the story when the episode Denna airs. Mord Sith anyone?

All things considered they might very well do themselves a service if they are not slavishly devoted to the written version of the story since after the 4th book it really went off the rails IMHO.

Comment

Zedd is my favorite so far followed by Kahlan. How many of you chuckled when you heard Magical Protection
          sigpic
          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
            Zedd is my favorite so far followed by Kahlan. How many of you chuckled when you heard Magical Protection
            I did! Nice touch.

Comment

I've seen all four episodes so far and I really enjoy this show. I love period piece shows set in this time but I would prefer that they actually speak old english. It's a huge part of the charm of making a period piece film or tv show so I really don't understand the choice to not use it. I was also very surprised with the overall quality of each episode. It looks expensive even by mini series standards much less a weekly tv show. ABC really went all out LOTS for some reason. I can't wait till the newest ep this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                I've seen all four episodes so far and I really enjoy this show. I love period piece shows set in this time but I would prefer that they actually speak old english. It's a huge part of the charm of making a period piece film or tv show so I really don't understand the choice to not use it.
                I get why it would seem like they should be speaking that. I wondered why they changed Craig's accent, I didn't get it. In reality (lol, Goodkind's reality), they are not from our world so they wouldn't speak english (I don't remember a specific language or accent mentioned). It's also not a period piece, it's set in the present day in the Midlands/D'Hara. It makes me hope that when the Wheel of Time movie is done they get the accents/languages right. Sorry, that is off topic.
                sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                  The episode listener just completely destroyed Kahlan's character from the book. She said she was raised by the Sister's of the Light. I suppose it was too much to ask for that they would actually use source material from the book. I guess I would be happier if I just accepted that the tv series was basically Hercules and Xena stories retold in the Sword of Truth universe.

Comment

Okay -- I love LotS! It's new, and refreshing, and I was happy to see something worth watching on TV, especially now that Stargate: Atlantis is ending. I enjoyed it so much, I'm definitely hooked now.

To be truthful, I'm enjoying the TV series far more than the books. Don't get me wrong, I liked the books (I'm on the second now), but I like that the show is more lighthearted than the books were. The books got a little too dark at times for me. I'm glad I have the option of skipping some things. I'm not typically disturbed by things, but some things in the book just bothered me. I don't have that feeling with the TV show.

Spoiler:
                    As far as Denna and the Mord-Sith, I like that they're doing that in the show -- but I do hope they tone it down. It wouldn't bother me a bit if they do, actually. I think there's only a certain limit of what a TV show should do, and if they follow through with everything Denna did in WFR, it will be too far. Especially considering how they've done the show so far, keeping it fairly lighthearted -- it would be too far the other way, IMO. I don't think it should be lighthearted, but I don't think it should be quite as dark as it was in the books. They should tone it down.

I love the characters so far, particularly Zedd. He's so perfect, I love him. I look forward to when new episodes return, on 1/10/09!!

~fyd
                    My fanfic: ~fyd818 My vids: ~decatbastet SAWS: Spanky-a-Week Summer

Comment

I saw the 20 minute preview. I have to say, it was just alright...found it quite dull.

Comment

out of the whole series i only found the last one, Confessor, to be rather lackluster. Overall the series was pretty great even with the retcon he forced himself to write in later books, and some of the things he pretty much ignored that were pretty glaring plot holes.

I've been warming to the tv show, the actress playing Kahlan is simply stunning which really helps.

Comment

I somewhat like the show I don't like how Zedd can get his groove on and Kahlan can't magical people need love too.
                          sigpic
                          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I started liking the show once I realized that it wasn't going to the Sword of Truth brought to a visual medium. Although I hear episode 8 its pretty good, which will be on after the new year, has Mord Sith!

Comment

Originally posted by fyd818 View Post
                              Okay -- I love LotS! It's new, and refreshing, and I was happy to see something worth watching on TV, especially now that Stargate: Atlantis is ending. I enjoyed it so much, I'm definitely hooked now.

To be truthful, I'm enjoying the TV series far more than the books. Don't get me wrong, I liked the books (I'm on the second now), but I like that the show is more lighthearted than the books were. The books got a little too dark at times for me. I'm glad I have the option of skipping some things. I'm not typically disturbed by things, but some things in the book just bothered me. I don't have that feeling with the TV show.

Spoiler:
                              As far as Denna and the Mord-Sith, I like that they're doing that in the show -- but I do hope they tone it down. It wouldn't bother me a bit if they do, actually. I think there's only a certain limit of what a TV show should do, and if they follow through with everything Denna did in WFR, it will be too far. Especially considering how they've done the show so far, keeping it fairly lighthearted -- it would be too far the other way, IMO. I don't think it should be lighthearted, but I don't think it should be quite as dark as it was in the books. They should tone it down.

I love the characters so far, particularly Zedd. He's so perfect, I love him. I look forward to when new episodes return, on 1/10/09!!

~fyd

Well that's an interesting way of looking at it. The darker elements of any book or film is there to make you feel something for the characters in the story. What would be the point of experiencing joy without pain? You must tap into both those emotions at the core in order to truly experience what it is your watching or reading. When you sanitize something you take the heart out of what made it great to begin with. In that regard I believe Disney couldn't have found a better producer than Sam Raimi.

As you continue to read these books you'll find that Goodkind ups the ante to gut wrenching levels. WFR is a pretty easy read in comparison with the exception of the tortue segments which I don't think has any rival. You'll find out what I'm talking about soon enough. Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                                Well that's an interesting way of looking at it. The darker elements of any book or film is there to make you feel something for the characters in the story. What would be the point of experiencing joy without pain? You must tap into both those emotions at the core in order to truly experience what it is your watching or reading. When you sanitize something you take the heart out of what made it great to begin with. In that regard I believe Disney couldn't have found a better producer than Sam Raimi.

As you continue to read these books you'll find that Goodkind ups the ante to gut wrenching levels. WFR is a pretty easy read in comparison with the exception of the tortue segments which I don't think has any rival. You'll find out what I'm talking about soon enough. Enjoy
                                I do believe a certain amount of darkness is required to make a good story -- I just think TG goes beyond it for me sometimes. I do appreciate that the characters have to go through a lot to get what they want, and sometimes they don't get that at all. But there is a certain place where it has to stop, and TG has stepped over the line for me. That's why I like LotS to begin with, because it's been "sanitized," as you say. It's not as dark -- while it still has a few elements of the darkness, it's not nearly as horrific as it is in the books. It seems like in the books all TG was looking for was darkness, torture, and hate. At least in the TV show, there's a lot of lighthearted moments to offset that. Those were sadly lacking in at least the first 3 books, where I am now. And after I finish the 3rd, I'm skipping straight to "Confessor" and missing the rest. I may go back later and pick up the others, but at the moment at least, I just don't want to.

I'm on the third book now, and so far -- I'm not seeing much of an improvement. But we'll see -- I certainly hope it gets better!

In the end, everyone has their own opinion of what they personally think is good entertainment. For me, the books aren't, but the TV show is. I'm just saying that on a personal level, I'm glad they stepped things down for the show.

~fyd
                                My fanfic: ~fyd818 My vids: ~decatbastet SAWS: Spanky-a-Week Summer

Comment

Working...
                                X